Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help be choose bindings:/

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello to all ski enthusiasts!

I'm looking for advice on choosing a ski bindings for my Black Pearl Blizzard 88 Flat 159 skis. I am not into touring. I'm not looking for something very professional,but mid-range:)
I am 164 cm tall, 25.5 foot and 80kg.

I found these (Blizzard Ski Vending Machines MARKER SQUIRE 11 TCX DEMO) but I heard some mixed reviews. Puzzled

If anyone can share any experiences or recommendations I would be very grateful!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Generally speaking you get what you pay for with bindings - in terms of durability.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pjivkova, well this is the right time of year to be looking.

First of all, it's now worth looking for Gripwalk compatible bindings. Many new boots come with GW soles and it can be a pain trying to find replacement ISO 5355 (flat) sole plates if you have not fitted GW compatible bindings.

Secondly, you need to be aware of DIN range (for you max 11 or max 13 binding would be fine) and brake width. Some bargain bindings come with weird (very wider or very narrow) brakes. You will need 90 ish brakes, although some do come up very wide for their spec.

Thirdly, you can find Demo or Rental bindings which have a different and very adjustable mount. This can be good, but sometimes ski shops do not have the mounting jigs for them.

the last ten years has seen massive leaps forward in binding design and release modes are now pretty standard (and effective).

Now - Marker bindings do tend to have very high foward pressure requirements - some people freak out at how high these are and set them too low, and then get pre-release, which has given them a bad rep. Unduly, since they are very good.

Having said that, we do tend to seek and fit Salomon and Tyrolia.

Salomon Warden MNC are excellent.
Tyrolia Attak GW are excellent.

Different brakes for each are readily available - easier to change on the Warden.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2

Thank you very much, valais2!
I truly appreciate all your comments!

When I purchased my skis, I assumed that ski shops/service would assist me in choosing bindings, but that wasn't the case. They suggested Rossignol bindings, which I found a bit odd. Pretty much they said you need to buy and choose them and we will attach but we cannot help.

My boots have Grip Walk (Nordica Promachine 105W GW), so your advice is incredibly helpful, I did not know that. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pjivkova, no problem

If you are in UK, then these are excellent. The higher end Attaks have a slightly better heel release mechanism. These are frankly a bargain.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/tyrolia-attack-14-gw-ski-bindings?v=343147&fc=GBP/?keyword=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPSG3Na9hQMVd5JQBh29OQgpEAQYBSABEgLlXPD_BwE
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2

I'm grateful for your help!
Your explanations are really clear! Madeye-Smiley

I feel fortunate that I stumbled upon them on a local website, so I'll definitely be giving them serious consideration.

I have a seemingly silly question, Embarassed but I don't have anyone else to ask:
I've noticed that some bindings have an additional component that connects them, like a plate or a plastic interface, while the ones I'm looking at don't seem to have that.
Do I need to purchase this separately?

Sending warm greetings from Bulgaria! Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pjivkova, ....ah...demo or rental bindings will tend to have a plate to allow lots of adjustment.

Some bindings need a raceplate - this is very different to the demo plate and tends to be specific to certain skis. It allows movement in the ski under the bindings and raises the height of the binding to help with edging the ski. For example, Fischer race skis have a very special plate of this kind.

Some bindings used to be available with an 'alpine plate' - Salomon did this for the 510 series and S series of bindings some years ago. It raised the height of the binding - we used these quite a bit.

BUT....I would not get involved in ANY of these for the skis you have.

The kind of bindings in the advert I sent through are just mounted direct to the skis. The Attak 14s with a 90-95 brake will work well with your skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can’t answer your question at all but those are lovely skis — hope you enjoy them once you’ve chosen your bindings!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you! Eh oh!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pjivkova, your 159cm skis are too short for your 164cm/80kg stats. Swap them for at least one length longer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all for the comments. You helped me so much! Managed to find the exact bindings you proposed and finally found a good ski service in my country that knows them and will help me:)

So, originally I snagged some 153 cm skis, but then I swapped them out for 159s. I'm mainly sticking to the groomed trails, and I'm just getting into carving, so I'm not exactly a pro yet, but I wish to explore everything:). Now, my local shop only has 171 cm skis left, and I'm worried they might be too long for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pjivkova, that's great.

Spyderjon is right in suggesting longer but note I also ski a range of lengths. I'm 170cm tall and 66kg and one of my favourite skis in our collection are some 158cm Volkl Mantras - huge fun. They are full rocker so rather like your flat Blizzards. I also ride 164 Elan and 166 Atomic skis - all great skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy