Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first Yard Sale for many years!

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a full yard sale!
Skiing down from the Jumbo in Verbier on the steep section...all on my own.
I noticed a dad and kid, about 5yrs old, doing the zig-zag path to the side of the main run which is forr less good skiers.
Almost at the bottom I suddenly hear a kid scream and BAM she hits me at full speed in my back.
She had evidently decided to send it off one of those kids' mini jumps at the side and didn't look
She yard sales too.

There was nothing I could have done, I had no idea she was there!

The dad was cool about it
..he saw it happen.

I'm fine...she's fine.

A 5 year old though !!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-04-24 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Uphill skier should always be in control, dob her in to the old bill and sue her dad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yard sale?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MorningGory, don't tell me you've been here this long and don't know what a yard sale is?

Everything scattered about like it's for sale...skis, poles etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodyMcFlude, Yeah, but can't see the link to a collision Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rungsp, my youngest did that to his mum when he was 8.
Difficult to blame kids that young. Same reason you aren't allowed to drive until 17.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MorningGory,

https://www.google.com/search?q=yeard+sale+ski+youtobe&rlz=1C1GCEB_enGB911GB911&oq=yeard+sale+ski+youtobe&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKABMgkIAhAhGAoYoAEyCQgDECEYChigATIJCAQQIRgKGKABMgkIBRAhGAoYoAHSAQk2MzY1ajBqMTWoAgmwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:548c60f0,vid:gu9gCLXAIZQ,st:0
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MorningGory wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Yeah, but can't see the link to a collision Very Happy

You a boarder? Toofy Grin

Ski bindings will release. That will make a minimum of 2 skis and 2 poles scattered about. Yep, a proper “yard sale”.

But it’s a far cry from the old days, when you could have also had in the “yard” sunglasses and wooly hat “for sale” Laughing

Boarders on the other hand, had no poles. Their boards don’t release. So no sale. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MorningGory wrote:
Yard sale?

I agree with you. I have no idea what the OP is talking about. What is a yard sale? Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@MorningGory, don't tell me you've been here this long and don't know what a yard sale is?

Everything scattered about like it's for sale...skis, poles etc.

Since when? I don't think many on here will be familiar with that term...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yard sale...Common parlance. If you don't know you haven't been paying attention
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An American term. Not generally used in the civilised world.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also known as a "strewn" As their gear was strewn around.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sarge McSarge wrote:
An American term. Not generally used in the civilised world.

If the “civilized world” don’t have yards, you can’t have a yard sale, can you? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@abc, True. Also known as a "strewn" As in "their kit is strewn all down the hill"
ski holidays
@rungsp, you need to ski faster Toofy Grin
snow report
Did not know what Yard sale was.
ski holidays
I learnt the term "yard sale" in my first few weeks on skis. And how to demonstrate one.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, same here
snow report
It’s a North American term popularised on social media no? we don’t talk about yard sales in British English (not where I grew up, or live now, at least!) I knew it from instagram
latest report
My one and only fall this year was a Park and Fly while skiing glades at Lake Louise. Ski’s took a while to find in the powder but never did find my ski poles.
snow report
Sarge McSarge wrote:
@abc, True. Also known as a "strewn" As in "their kit is strewn all down the hill"

In a culture that doesn’t have regular yard sale every summer weekend, it doesn’t make sense to call a “strewn” a yard sale. It simply doesn’t evoke the same feeling, of items haphazardly scattered all over the place.
ski holidays
I can't believe this has turned into a "yard sale" thread!

It was supposed to be all about me Blush

Anyway since we have conclusively thread drifted I have to say it never crossed my mind that a group of skiers hadn't heard the Yard Sale analogy before...I just assumed we all knew it
ski holidays
I've known that expression forever, and never skied in the US.
ski holidays
My favourite one - happened to one of two French lads on a red run in Praz sur Arly. They overtook me (perfectly safely) skiing very fast. The run was entirely deserted except for the 3 of us. I was on my own. The slower of the two fell - full scale yard sale, leaving both his skis on the slope, one near where he finally stopped, one below me where he'd fallen. So obviously I picked it up and took it down to him, by which time his mate had stopped, clambered up a little way, retrieved the other ski and had his phone out ready to take a photograph of his mate's ski being retrieved by a little old lady. No damage done except to his pride.
latest report
Origen wrote:
I've known that expression forever, and never skied in the US.

+1
snow report
rungsp wrote:
I can't believe this has turned into a "yard sale" thread!

Absolutely never heard of it in the way you have used it and surprised it is used by Brits!

rungsp wrote:
It was supposed to be all about me Blush
Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Yard sale" - I thought it is a rather good concept. Most English people these days can afford to travel a bit, and even those who can't have fairly large screens which stream mostly US content into their homes. And the rest hang out on forums like this, where they can easily learn and enjoy new usages. That's how English works.
latest report
Maybe Brits would refer to it as a car booter?
snow report
I’m on mainland Europe, it’s a metre sale.

My children wanted to continue the pizza/fries theme, and tried to call it a milkshake. Didn’t really catch on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy