Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April 25

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Due to my wife being a teacher and my kids in different schools we are very restricted as to when we can ski next year. It looks like the only possible week will be 5th April.

Does anyone have any resort recommendations? Would like somewhere with decent places to eat at night but will be working on a reasonably strict budget! We will be flying from Manchester...

Would like somewhere that suits a variety of needs as my son and I are reasonable skiers whilst my wife hardly skis at all so a decent town and views would be appreciated.

Have looked at Are in Sweden and Murren in Switzerland. I'm not sure whether either of these will be too much of a gamble snow wise?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kronplatz?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having skied a few Aprils now but not at those particular resorts, the lessons for me are
- Go high or go north
- Check resort closing dates (even parts of the resort)
- Dont expect to ski much of the afternoon.
- Make sure there are other activities to do on case of hot/rainy weather.

I would look at Trysil, Zermatt, Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, You tinker - Zermatt on a budget is a bit challenging.

Val Thorens a good suggestion.

Have you thought about driving? That means you can book the week re ferries, train etc but then chase the snow closer to the date by booking accommodation in March. Snow has been great in late season in the last few years but always difficult to predict which specific resort will be best.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, it said a “strict” budget not necessarily or meaning a small budget, I refer you to the pedant thread Very Happy

But everything can be paired back, e.g. stay in Tasch?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@smudger, Val Thorens, Tignes, Belle Plagne, Arc 1950/2000 - all good bets. We tend to rotate for our easter trips. We're aiming for Arc 1950 for the same dates as you next year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smudger wrote:
Would like somewhere with decent places to eat at night but will be working on a reasonably strict budget!

If on a strict budget you should self cater rather than eat out surely?

Last 3 April's and the one before the pandemic we've been to Les Menuires. I prefer it for a few reasons - essentially it gives you the same access to Masse, Val T, Mont Vallon and to a bit of a tour of the 3V.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although Val Thorens is great for late season snow I've spent a week there as a non-skier...I wouldn't choose to do it again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
April 5th or 25th? I think 05/04/25?

Avoriaz - despite a poo-poo season theyve had an excellent base and top ups of powder late season seem to be a trend there
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
@ster, You tinker - Zermatt on a budget is a bit challenging.

But indeed if you go here keep your wife when not skiing away from the many expensive boutiques.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Nadenoodlee, whilst I recognise the latest trends I wouldn’t bet on Portes du Soleil - can go bad very quickly due to low altitude…
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
April 5th or 25th? I think 05/04/25?

I believe the title refers to April 2025 whilst the detailed post confirms w/c April 5th 2025.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@valais2, hence Avoriaz not Portes du Soleil in my suggestion
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
????

‘….Avoriaz (French: [avɔʁja], Franco-Provençal: [aˈvɔʁja, aˈvɔʁi])[1] is a French mountain resort in the heart of the Portes du Soleil. It is located in the territory of the commune of Morzine…’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoriaz
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, this is indeed becoming a pedant's thread. @Nadenoodlee specified Avoriaz rather than just saying "Portes du Soleil". Like you might specify Val Thorens, not just "Three Valleys".

And @ster is quite right, too, that "budget" means nothing except that you have a sum of money in mind. I've never had any particular "sum of money" in mind, going on a ski holiday. Indeed, I don't have budgets for anything at all. I have no idea what I spent on food in a week, for example Not that that means I spent money like there's no tomorrow. Just means I make sensible choices and probably never add up what it's cost me.....

I agree that arranging to drive (or booking flights but not accommodation) and then choosing accommodation nearer the time, makes sense. As does self-catering so you can have more control over spending.
snow conditions
@Origen, good point…sorry
ski holidays
Les Gets or Morzine in the French Alps could be awesome for you guys. They've got skiing, cute villages, and loads of places to eat. If you're up for it, check out Mayrhofen or Saalbach-Hinterglemm in Austria too. They usually have good snow in April and plenty to do besides skiing.
snow report
Heres one I didn’t expect, Sierra Nevada still has decent coverage looking at their website. Cheap flights to Malaga. Other activities could include day trip to Granada or even the beach!

But also to keep a lid on costs look for resorts that have Easter specials (kids go free etc..) and off peak ticketing.
ski holidays
We've spent the past 2 Easters in Arc 1800 and the skiing has been fantastic but I don't think I'd want to be a non-skier there. I'd be looking at Mayrhofen. The Snowbombing festival might be on that week though which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.
snow report
I would suggest Mayrhofen too. Seems to be getting a lot more expensive and booked up via TOs (depending on what board & facilities you want) and certainly not as cheap as it used to be, but DIY might work? Or stay out of the main town, one of the other valley/ski area resorts, & use ski bus & trains?

Is Snowbombing still on? There was a comedy festival this year.
snow conditions
EricTheRed wrote:
The Snowbombing festival might be on that week though which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Doesn’t sound the most family friendly event.
ski holidays
There will be loads of availability a week before your departure date .

I know as was idly checking availability this year (as you do) and there were plenty of flights and (good quality) accommodation in all the high resorts .
And bargains to be had with the main tour operators for last minute bookings .
And this year , Easter was early , 2025 it is much later in April so likely to be even more availability .

Book the time off work now and look at the best places closer to the time .

And if the snow looks terrible everywhere - ditch the skiing and go to the canaries (or somewhere else warm) instead .

This is my plan - for the same week you are looking at .
latest report
I’d go to Tignes (Le Lac). Holds snow well and has a pool/wellness etc if your OH may like that sort of thing. Second the suggestion to drive if you can. I appreciate it might be ideal to decide and book late but the best late season places are usually the same ones — with kids in school it’s nice to have it all arranged and sorted given there’s so little flexibility with dates. So that would be my pick. Val Thorens another.
snow report
ster wrote:

- Dont expect to ski much of the afternoon.

Agreed. April afternoons are 5h1te and are much worse than not skiing. It's much better to go to work and wish you were skiing instead.

This was yesterday afternoon in Val Thorens. I wish I hadn't bothered rolling eyes

ski holidays
@Bergmeister, it was a general comment based on experience of different resorts in different years, obviously it will not always apply rolling eyes

Happy April skiing.
ski holidays
@smudger, you'll have no budget issues if you leave your non skiing missus at home and just go with your son. Put the money saved in to a decent hotel and a few heli drops. Pretty obvious solution really, surprised you hadn't thought of it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy