Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

worst EVER tee-bar experience

Poster: A snowHead
Hochgurgl on the rarely open Vorderer Wurmkogllift (i) & (ii).

If you've been on it then once is definitely enough as it's 1802m meters of pure hell.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
T bar, L2A glacier, start of October, it was a snowheads bash, 2006 or 2007.
2 of us had a lesson with Easiski.

The glacier had poor snow cover and the end of the lift had a very steep short section just before the dismount area.

I reckon that me and the other snow head, with all our gear in, tipped the scales at around 275kg.

Easiski was on the bar behind us. Just as the 2 of us got to the top of the steepest but of the off ramp,.the cable of our tbar snapped.

Utter carnage, and Easiski couldn't stop laughing for about an hour

I've only popped in here for a repeat of this story Laughing
2007? And a whole load of sH with new boots from one of the bootfitting days that were 3 sizes smaller than the previous pair?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@_sam_?, Laughing Laughing Laughing . I also had new boots, but fitted by Cedric in L2A, my boot fitting was interrupted by several snowHeads asking for adjustments . It was hot, the snow was poo-poo, the singing in the bar was brilliant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@_sam_?, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hooked a button under wrongly & got dragged up while getting my dangly bits crushed. Always wear supporting underwear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
as a snowboarder, the nightmare was the first day as a boarder trying a button lift (in Greece), as i was trying to figure out how the hell will i manage with this thing.
I was alone (with my wife) so do not bother for other people, but it took me the whole day till i manage to go till the end.
And it was round 300m
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my local hills.

1473m long rope tow with 783m of vertical.

If you look at the first picture carefully towards the left you can see the bottom station and the rope line going up the face.

No luxuries like t bars to hang on to - use a nutcracker tied to a climbing harness to get up there. The rope is easy to pull off the pulleys so good etiquette is to lift it back off the ground on the way up and stick it back. Easier said than done!

This particular spot doesn’t get good too often due to aspect but it’s pretty special when it is on.

http://youtube.com/v/OmRoTm2prGM?si=6LjHvMF7_daadGnl
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woah time travel IS possible - the tow is alive and well…..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd be the one who forgets to release at the top! Looks amazing though Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valais2, Best crowd filter ever. Also easy to dig the poles out of avalanches and put it back together again.

Also means cheap passes but brutal for snowboarders like me especially backhand.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a good video of how it works. Real easy to break fingers and need to keep pack straps out of the way

http://youtube.com/v/QjuhqGoxJ9U?si=CJRpZp45AjkpylHZ
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The t-bars back from La Rosiere to La Thuile Sad

The uplift track is an absolute riot. I've got 30 years of snowboarding experience and I'd confidently class myself as an expert rider but that lift absolutely terrifies me. It's not steep but the uplift track looks as though it's been battered by mortar shells. Full of holes, snowbanks, huge off camber sections. I barely make it up but it's utter carnage for people falling off
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boardinbob wrote:

The uplift track is an absolute riot. I've got 30 years of snowboarding experience and I'd confidently class myself as an expert rider but that lift absolutely terrifies me. It's not steep but the uplift track looks as though it's been battered by mortar shells. Full of holes, snowbanks, huge off camber sections. I barely make it up but it's utter carnage for people falling off

Try the one in Hochgurgl in my earlier post if you ever have the opportunity as it makes the one in La Thuile seem like a nursery slope one in comparison.

Love La Thuile by the way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11 wrote:
This is a good video of how it works. Real easy to break fingers and need to keep pack straps out of the way

http://youtube.com/v/QjuhqGoxJ9U?si=CJRpZp45AjkpylHZ

That is quite different - but economical to install!

In Flims of all places there is the Mughels tow rope, which is a relatively short rope you just grap onto to get you up what would otherwise be an annoying shoooshh

There is a T- Bar up through a forest in Stari Vrh which has a sign proudly proclaiming to be the worlds steepest T-bar. It wouldn't be a good one to fall off, and fortunately we never did.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jammy 07 wrote:
Hochgurgl on the rarely open Vorderer Wurmkogllift (i) & (ii).

If you've been on it then once is definitely enough as it's 1802m meters of pure hell.

I think I know that one. ONly skied one long weekend there but I remember being slightly off balance all the way up and various bits of me screaming by the top.
snow report
The alternative way

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8CIFELrHyv4
snow report
The old summit platter lift at Lake Louise was pretty brutal. The runs alongside it were graded double black and there was a rope alongside to grab hold of if you fell! Even all 100kg of me felt like I was being lifted up! It didn’t even go quite to the top either so after all that you had a short side step to the blue run!

Now replaced a couple of years ago by a 4 person chairlift on a different route - you’d be hard pressed to work out where it used to run
snow conditions
@Hyst, what’s amusing about that is the way they are SO still so as not to disturb the balance of things - as I would be - ‘please let this stop, please let this stop….’

I assume they lived….
ski holidays
I can’t remember exactly the resort, but picture a t-bar going up a gap between two pistes. I’m there with my partner as the lift comes to a halt. We’re waiting for quite some time, which is causing some problems. One of the people on the bar in front falls off and starts heading towards us at speed. I had time to think “I wonder how you avoid this” before she went straight through us, sending us flying into the people behind. Luckily we managed to head sideways into soft snow and stop. No damage was done and we were able to collect lost poles and ski onto a nearby run.

Less dramatically I remember a day in Fageralm where I fell off every single lift. By the end of day the lifties were all grabbing the bars and carefully helping me on.
snow report
Can I add a button lift story here?

Schladming, about 1986.
Our group are all in the button lift, no idea which one by the way, it was a long one and went up amongst some trees.
It stopped.
It stayed stopped.
Still stopped.
No piste visible...what to do?

After a while a snowmobile came racing up...and shortly after racing down with my mate Tim as a passenger.

After another while another snowmobile came up with a liftie telling us that the lift was kaput and directing us to get off and to go left through the trees.

We continued to enjoy our day...but where was Tim?
We continued to enjoy our evening...but where was Tim?

The next day at breakfast Tim appeared and told his tale:
He had been experimenting on the drag lift to see just how far off the track he could get his skis...he was a strong lad and had got a lot of lateral force going...enough to pop the cable off its rollers at a pylon!!

The liftie who picked him up took him to the police station and he spent the night in the cells!!
They had threatened him with a huge fine, something like 10,000 pounds, but he was a student and just told them he had no money, so after a while they realized that was pointless and released him.

Tragically Tim was mown down and killed by a white van man a couple of years later. I still miss him and think of him just about every time I ride a drag lift.

RIP fella...
snow conditions
@rungsp, that was fun…until the last part. Very sad.
snow conditions
terrifying

http://youtube.com/v/A4-U1sXTxEg
snow conditions
Being on a t-bar when my kids were small wasn't that much fun, particularly the steep bits
To make it work for them you have to have it behind your knees and sort of sit on it to stop it getting too high for them - ouch!
ski holidays
My day of boarding sucked, I learned to use a t-bar under a terrace full of rowdy spring drinkers who got well into my progress, more people watching every try. No other route out. It must've been half an hour of repeated attempts before an ever increasing audience. Hugely embarrassing at first as a shy 18 year old, but I accepted my fate eventually and started to take encouragement from it as cheers increased the further I got. When I finally got over the crest and out of sight it was to a huge chorus of applause.

Then a few days later I fell in the dismount area of the same t-bar... As I looked back to check for danger the guy behind me let his bar go, it sprung straight into my face. Within minutes my eye was so big I couldn't see out of it and stayed swollen shut for a week. Left eye too, and I'm left foot forward on a board. Managed to get down safely with the help of a very kind French nurse who happened to see me sat at the top looking sorry for myself. I did have a cool blood red eye for a long time though which was kinda rad:D
snow conditions
Jammy 07 wrote:
boardinbob wrote:

Try the one in Hochgurgl in my earlier post if you ever have the opportunity as it makes the one in La Thuile seem like a nursery slope one in comparison.

Love La Thuile by the way.

I’ve suffered both of those !
I love La Thuile also.
latest report
Quote:

Having been the liftie on the T Bar at Sheffield Ski Village the levels of incompetence are bewildering. It was basically 3 goes then you’re off to the beginner slope as the queues built behind you. The mid station exit often caused an issue as well. Riding that many time prepares you for most things, ditto the old button lift at Rossendale where I learned. No tales of issues from myself though.

That thing was a nightmare though! Easy enough on skis but so hard as a snowboarder.

Got dragged up after a fall right at the start SO many times as I don't think the lift hut could see the very bottom (pr m maybe you all just didn't really care!)

Also the stupid mid-station exit to go onto the snake (later halfpipe) was so difficult on a snowboard with one food. It was narrow and quite steep and had several turns to try and navigate.

Anyway a consequence of learning on that, I'm totally awesome at drags snowHead
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
T bar, L2A glacier, start of October, it was a snowheads bash, 2006 or 2007.
2 of us had a lesson with Easiski.

The glacier had poor snow cover and the end of the lift had a very steep short section just before the dismount area.

I reckon that me and the other snow head, with all our gear in, tipped the scales at around 275kg.

I was a few yards below you that day Toofy Grin
I blame the lifty. I presume the t-bar has a wight limit and - whatever it was - you and II clearly exceeded it by some margin.
snow report
@Red Leon, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Main Basin tow at Glencoe. Typcial Scottish conditions with rocks, gaps and heather on the uptrack. Going up with my wife (we're both snowboarders). She's riding the T "normally" and I'm in front, with the T behind me and nothing to hang on to. My (hungover) wife falls off and lets go of the T bar. Her end pivots round on the spring tension and catches me full in the mouth. Just a burst lip, but blood fountaining everywhere and looking spectacular on the snow. Cue ski patrol visit, etc. I was fine. She was sheepish.
snow conditions
The monster 1mile achingly boring / freezing cold one (amongst others) on the glacier at Saas Fee
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy