Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Watch - skier-triggered avalanche in La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Witnessed some crazy stuff yesterday morning. We saw two skier-triggered avalanches within 15 minutes of each other in the Mont Valaisan sector of La Rosiere, the second one I captured on video.

Background: we've had 3 days of snow, Wednesday being poor vis all day. Thursday morning was a bluebird with fresh snow but with rising temperatures overnight. So of course lots of people couldn't resist and piled onto the fresh off piste rolling eyes . I didn't note the avi risk but it has been 3 all week.

For the first one we were taking the Bellecombe I drag lift and had good view of the situation, about 10am. Didn't manage to see the triggering but saw the slide and the snow cloud and the skiers above. They were skiing the north face of Mont Valaisan, which is easily accessed from the chair lift. I don't know it well but I suspect they had headed a bit more skiers' left than the classic line. At the top of our drag, everyone was gathered watching. I spoke with three instructors who were ahead of us and it was clear to them that two skiers had triggered it, one had lost his ski but neither got caught in the slide. By all accounts they were very lucky. I'm no expert on distance estimating but the slide was 150m+

By the time of the second one, we were on Bellecombe II drag lift and could see a second group of 3 skiers heading off the ridge. I started filming at this point as it was clear what was going to happen. They skied further right (what I understand as the normal line), initially altogether and then on the main slope they headed one at a time, rendezvousing at a safe spot. The first two went down, not crossing tracks. Not sure if you can tell from the video but the third crossed their tracks and it appeared to be that that triggered the slide. Again, super-lucky that none of them got caught in it.

I cropped the video a little to zoom in on the area: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkn28fyeYKeyHpwt7

Later, at 11.15am we saw large groups up there, around 25 people in total, many skiing right behind each other.

Definitely a few lucky individuals out there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@doorman_tom, Shocked oops!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ooh

Do you know out of interest were these skiers with guides or instructors or on their own? Were you with instructor? Did instructor say anything regarding route choice/timing?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, do you know how steep is that slope?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy