Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria New Year

Poster: A snowHead
We'd love to go spend NY in Austria about 28th to 4th flights and car are very competitive at the moment but struggling to find any accommodation that's not astronomical. Realise its NY one of the most expensive periods but nothing on airbnb and tourist offices/booking.com. what's coming up is 3/4/5k room only or b&b.
Are we looking too early? Is Austria more expensive? Will prices settle down?
For comparison easily find nice airbnb in France for under 1k bunk beds and sofa bed in lounge area.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's too early for Airbnb or Booking.com.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s always better in Austria to look at the websites for the resorts you’re interested in. Generally speaking Austria is more hotel focused than France, with fewer apartments. Probably too early for most accommodation providers to have their new year prices on line.

Where are you thinking of going?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to give a bit more detail, "Austria" is a somewhat broad area! Both the Saalbach & SkiAmade threads have contributors who own apartments in those locations who would be able to give a realistic idea of the "going rate". If you are looking at Arlberg / Ischgl / Serfaus then the numbers you mentioned will probably be not too far off what it will cost, the costs have risen significantly in past couple of years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James77, the French 'shoe box' isn't really a thing in Austria. You might get a hostel with a private room more reasonably

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 31-03-24 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, thanks. Pretty relaxed about location as we'll hire a car from Salzberg. Initially thought Schladming, obertauern, filzmoos, saalbach. But happy with many more that also spring to mind sheffau , ellmau, radstadt, bad hofsgarten.
Great to know there are specific threads I'll look them up.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 31-03-24 21:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, thanks a great way of putting it. They are small but OK for a young family. Always thought France is more expensive wondering if it really is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@James77, you get what you pay for, the quality in Austria is pretty standard
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s not too early, far from it. We book or pre-book 12 months ahead, Austrian hotels are loyal to regular guests at NY, limiting the supply at hotels with good reviews. I’d advise researching on TripAdvisor, then go to hotels directly asap.

Be wary of lowish altitude at that time. We were at 1,000m by Schladming, when on both 23/12/22 and 23/12/23 very heavy rain came.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We booked direct with a hotel in Schladming for new year 2024 the day we left Schladming this year (new years eve 2023!). We spent our last day in resort walking round getting prices - most said they’d have pricing out by February but the TUI Blue emailed us a price a few days later and we’ve booked it. It’s about €350 per night but that’s half board and is for 3 of us (2 adults and a 12 year old who eats the same as an adult).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@James77, There are plenty of apartments though (I suspect) they tend to be bigger than those in France. There are few (if any) of the purpose built blocks with multiple small apartments that were so common when I used to ski in France. You will find less expensive spots especially if you have a car and are not bothered about apres etc. Try looking in nearby villages & towns to some of the bigger areas eg Saalfelden for Saalbach (lifts nearby at Leogang) or St Johann im Pongau for SkiAmade
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@James77,

Are we looking too early? YES
Is Austria more expensive? YES (and getting worse)
Will prices settle down? NO

The current season is coming to an end. People are tired (vast majority make their yearly income in these 4-5 winter months). New Years is always busy, so they don't care so much whether their calendars are up to date. Thus: Not much use in searching now!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lozza1uk wrote:
We booked direct with a hotel in Schladming for new year 2024 the day we left Schladming this year (new years eve 2023!). We spent our last day in resort walking round getting prices - most said they’d have pricing out by February but the TUI Blue emailed us a price a few days later and we’ve booked it. It’s about €350 per night but that’s half board and is for 3 of us (2 adults and a 12 year old who eats the same as an adult).

+1

Ditto, hotels these days take early bookings, avoids disappointment. Austria and the Dolomites the same with this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm booked up already for next year. It's not too early at all. I use hotels.com booking.com tourist website and direct contact. I'll scan Google maps looking for hotels and send them an email
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@James77, I live in Saalbach most of the time and am in contact with several British families who own and let apartments in that resort. It’s certainly not too early to book. Message me if you’d like me to make enquiries for you. I would need details of your party and the budget you have in mind.
snow report
@James77, we haven't opened up for New year yet, it is a peak week and we would only consider 7 nights over New Year which could be another challenge for you, Tatmantours would be a good source as mentioned in his thread he knows lots of owners in Saalbach
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy