Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board length advive pls - returning after children

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
*posted this in another part of forum as didn't see the boarding part... I'm new to forum so apolgies

I am snowboarding again after a hiatus of 3 children (and don't live near mountains) so been out a while until 2023.

I need a new board
1) it's old and pre children
2) I am heavier that I was
3) Ive lost confidence and want a beginner - progressive board
4) confidence lacking due to being out for a while but also a lovely skier crashed into me flipped me over and knee smashed on icy mountain. Thankful for armour! Damage lasted ~12mth

Stats:
- 5"3 / 160 cm
-60-61kg
- height to chin 140cm
- Height to nose 146xm

Looking at boards that suggest 142 or 146 when done by weight and ignoring height eg nitro lectra

The 142 seems to be <60kg

I would like the reassurance of stability at higher speed (see confidence lacking)

But catch 22 is that I freak out on tight turns so don't want a board that's "too long" (see confidence lacking).

Any idea what size or suggestions... pls...

Thanks so much
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For sizing you really have to look at the manufacturers recommendations. It completely depends on the specific shape as to what size will be best. For example volume shifted boards are becoming more popular and require downsizing compared to what you might typically ride.

Yes you are in a catch 22. The most stable board at speed is going to be some really stiff camber board. It's also going to be harder to turn.

Honestly I think the chance of you happening to buy the perfect board in terms of balance between stability and easy to turn is unlikely. It's so hard to quantify feel, what some of us think as "stable" or "easy to turn" might be very different to others.

So my suggestion would be rent. Keep swapping the board, try some different lengths, shapes, and stiffness and see what works for you. Then maybe consider buying, you might even be able to buy the rental you like most.

Although if you are just doing the typical 1 week package tour with flights you might be in a position where ski carriage is pretty much equal to rental cost. In which case it may make more sense to continue renting anyway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy