Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First used snowboard - should I go for a bit more advanced?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i'm looking to buy my first snowboard on facebook marketplace, it's looking to turn out the same cost as renting for a week which is great. There's one that's caught my eye, looks to be in good condition, the right size, good price, etc but when I research it, the manufacturer says it is for intermediate to advanced, whereas right now i'm more of a beginner. My spouse and I have been skiing for years and are committed to continuing both from now on. Will buying a slightly more advanced board be a problem for me would you imagine?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll be fine - Enjoy it!

Going to risk telling us what it is?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your first problem will probably be buying from FB market place. God awful cesspit. But that’s my experience.

Back to the question on boards. It probably depends more on length and flexibility, your weight, height etc.

Hard to say just from manufacturers very broad category.

What board is it?
There are some bargains but lots of folk selling assume because the board they bought in 1997 was only used twice it is still only marginally less than they paid for it.
If you go for one 2 or 3yrs old it should be well under 50% off what it was retail no matter how little it was used
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought my first one 2nd hand and it turned out to be far too stiff and 'advanced' for me. Great board, if not the most modern in design terms. Was also very directional and I wanted something more twin tipped whilst trying to master riding switch etc.
That being said, I went and bought a new one (cheap) which was still mid stiff, and whilst it's fine for piste and some non groomed, I wish now that I'd gone more flexible so it's easier to do basic moves, tricks & jumps.

Mr G also bought a similar high-end 'all mountain' board when he started. He, being pig headed, stuck with it - but now says that whilst he probably learnt a lot of control from using it, he'd have progressed an awful lot faster, and fallen over a lot less, if he'd had a less stiff one. In the end, even though he only piste rides, he still swapped it in for a more medium flex board.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're right about the wild west that is FB marketplace! The board in question is a Bataleon The Jam 161w (for a 6’1 and 79 kg male for reference.)
£150 inc bindings. It's hard finding out how old these things are.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That was one I was looking at before I bought the Jones. Nice board but it is a bit spicy - quite stiff but depends on the year - think they slackened it off about 2020... Which graphic is it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's got loads of pictures on it, a girl, the words 'love kill' and guns Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just seen it on a youtube video from 2013
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's also a Salomon tempest 158cm, also £150 inc bindings.
Is there a date from which no matter the condition, the board is too old, old tech, not worth anything really?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nice length for your height. (and weight)
it really depends on the stiffness of the board, and what you plan to do with it. (free-ride - cruise the mountain, stiff might be fine. jib about - park stuff. you want some flex etc)

if poss find out the age of the board and bindings, and maybe allocate extra budget for new bindings.
plastic tends to wear. stuff breaks. you can get away with a 10-15 year old board more than you can 10-15 year old bindings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great to know, thank you
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bobcat, I don't think they've made the Tempest for maybe 15 years now... you're probably better off with the Bataleon between the 2
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
also: to answer your initial question - an intermediate board "might" be ok if you are a competent/happy beginner, and help you progress.
there are however a LOT of variables.

one thing to consider is a lot of mountain places will let you try boards and deduct the cost of the hire off the purchase price. if they are selling you last years board, they might do 20% off board and bindings. if you are going for a week, go speak to the shops where you are staying. borrow a board or 3 or 4 and see what feels right.

This year I saw a 10 year old, 2nd hand, Burton Custom X being sold for 250Euros in a shop in Les Menuires. (with Bindings)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it's looking to turn out the same cost as renting for a week which is great.

But if flying you have to add on the cost of ski carriage and maintenance. For a package trip this year it worked out the same to take the board or rent.

Quote:

Bataleon The Jam 161w (for a 6’1 and 79 kg male for reference.)

Based on the sizing chart I found (likely for a newer model) it's fine. But you could also go down 1 or even 2 sizes. Generally shorter means a little easier to handle as a beginner.

Quote:

Will buying a slightly more advanced board be a problem for me would you imagine?

Maybe. It's a camber board. Some would say that makes it harder to learn on and you will be more likely to catch an edge. The flip side is some will tell you learning on that will install good habits as you can't "get away" with as much.

Imo the issue is not necessarily the level the board is aimed at. It's more finding out what you like. Its a common mistake. Until you've ridden a range of shapes and different stiffness boards and work out what you like you are running the risk of having to buy again sooner rather than later. Especially when you are in the beginner stage and your skills are changing relatively quickly. That's why I'd generally suggest renting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah people always suggest renting on these kinds of threads.
snow report
quote="bobcat"] Bataleon The Jam 161w [/quote]

No do not buy this board.

bobcat wrote:
It's got loads of pictures on it, a girl, the words 'love kill' and guns Laughing

Ok then do it but you're a mad man.
snow report
@bobcat, you don’t mention foot size. unless you’re over a uk10/11 I wouldn’t go wide.

I usually buy “last years model” in the summer when they’re on sale. Usually around 50% discount. Ride for a week or two and if I like the board keep it, or if not flip it for not a lot of loss.
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
@bobcat, you don’t mention foot size. unless you’re over a uk10/11 I wouldn’t go wide.

I usually buy “last years model” in the summer when they’re on sale. Usually around 50% discount. Ride for a week or two and if I like the board keep it, or if not flip it for not a lot of loss.

That sounds like a really good shout actually. I think we'll do that.
latest report
Not sure if you're sorted but Amplid have a few absolute bargains in their outlet. At your weight you'd fit either of these (they're twins so probably a good start to work out what sort of riding you want to do). You should be ok on boot size too with anything under a uk10 (just for info I ride the regular singular as my main resort board and have about 6 weeks on it. Its great)

https://www.amplid.com/outlet/snowboards/2084/cab-driver-b-grade?c=524

or

https://www.amplid.com/outlet/snowboards/2076/singular-twin-b-grade?c=524

153 and 155 may seem small but you're in the weight range and they're going to be easier for you to chuck about while you're working your way up. Track down some reasonably priced bindings to go with them and you're set for years to come. If either is half interesting then email Amplid. They're really responsive and helpful
snow report
Wow great deals on those Amplids!
snow report
I have a new milligram sitting in Sydney airport at the moment. It was a bargain.

Got snow incoming this week too, so hopefully it makes the final leg of its journey quickly Very Happy
ski holidays
bobcat wrote:
Yeah people always suggest renting on these kinds of threads.
I guess my suggestion would be just to ride stuff before you buy it. Renting allows that, but other ways work too.

It's just that I can always tell pretty quickly if I like a board or not, and most of them I don't like that much. I mean: if I had to buy a board without riding it, I'd have a lot of one-day-used boards to sell, and that seems inefficient and expensive. But then that's why boards like that exist on FB marketplace I suppose.

The "advanced" thing is tricky. In my opinion with snowboarding you learn fastest on something easy to ride. You only need "expert" gear when you're an expert, at which point you'll already know what you want, and precisely why. If you don't, get something easy to ride - it'll be way more fun and you'll be a better rider too.
ski holidays
That's good advice, thank you
latest report
@bobcat, do you know how you are going to ride the board? I'm a huge advocate of buying give how pricey it can be to use rentals. I bought Jones MT after 4 days of snowboarding (from level 0) but I used to ski for ages and on my first day I went straight to blue and stayed there for the rest of the trip. I think it took me around 5-7 days of riding JMT to start understanding it and using it correctly (rides well in powder, can do a bit of tricks but it's not very flexy so requires more strenght). So i like the board but I sold almost new boots and bindgins after using them for a few days due to wrong size. For snowboarding you need to look at the right mondo size and buy boots that are not feeling very comfortable in terms of the lengths otherwise you will get a lot of heel lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy