Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question to seasonaires

Poster: A snowHead
How often do You service(waxing and making edges) Your skis or board, when You skiing few days a week for all season (4months) ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will depend on conditions. If you are riding a lot of hardpack and ice the wax won't last as long. You can feel when your base just doesn't glide. Especially if you are riding the same areas and there are a few flatter sections. You can also see when bases just look dry and have the white lines.

Edges far less often. Usually just get them sharpened at the end of the season ready for next year. But again it comes down to feel. Sometimes you can just feel they are not gripping the snow properly and it's time to get them done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
every 10 days or so
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe two or three times a season. Mind you, that's skiing two or three different pairs depending on conditions. And assuming that I repair any damage immediately, like the slight burr on the edge on the first day out on my new skis a couple of weeks back - Swiss army tool file straight away, stone once back at home, no edge sharpening needed.

I should clarify, I don't mean two or three times per pair of skis, but about that much in total.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mnich, In my first season I was keen as mustard and did my skis every couple of weeks.

Now in season 8 I did 2 pairs after a couple of months (because chums were gliding faster) and probably won’t bother again until I put them away in May.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on the type of skis. Teaching skis - not enough, about 2/3 times a season. Training skis - almost daily.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JulieAimeLeSki, I presume by "training" you mean race-training, yes?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank You all lovely people Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After approximately 10-14 days use, though for me only skiing at the weekends (and not every weekend either), and swapping between a couple of pairs, that amounts to once or twice a season, usually. Skis that don't see as much use get done once, in summer. You can tell when they need doing because they get a bit slow and don't grip as well. Repair any damage immediately, and sort out the burrs if you end up skiing rocks, or they'll catch.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaletbeauroc, Exactly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HammondR wrote:
....Now in season 8 I did 2 pairs after a couple of months (because chums were gliding faster) and probably won’t bother again until I put them away in May.

Pretty well that, if I notice something is amiss then I'll wax.

Also when ski-touring can be far more important to get the wax right to stop gloping.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dinged one of my skis after 6 weeks so took it in to be patched and waxed and edged at the same time. Ended up going to 2 different shops to get it fixed. Thought that we may as well get Mrs SL’s skis waxed and edged at the same time - again after 6 weeks. Both shops said there was no point at the moment and refused the business. But the cover has been particularly good here this season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
About 10-20 times per season.

Better kit = better skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mnich wrote:
How often do You service(waxing and making edges) Your skis or board, when You skiing few days a week for all season (4months) ?

Every week minimum. Every other day if on-going conditions are icy/hard pack. Every day if I'm on a training course.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 19-03-24 23:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
However... other seasonnaires have different standards. In my experience, the variability of how fussy you are about your edges and your waxing bears no correlation to being in resort for a week, a month or a season.

My seasonnaire colleagues and flat mates:

a) 6 pairs of skis which are all knackered in various different ways*; 2 of these of which have been serviced once this season.
b) 2 pairs of skis, one pair pretty new, one pair frankly for the bin. Neither have seen a waxing iron or file this winter.
c) 2 pairs of skis, both well past their best. One pair got a machine service last month.

* though one or two pairs may have been rescued by Vallon Blanc
snow report
mnich wrote:

Not done mine at all yet. They were serviced at the end of last season, no problems yet. Servicing is expensive, or time consuming if you DIY.
snow report
Ymmv but as a 80 day per year skier with several pairs of skis, I have them serviced every 6-10 days of usage depending on conditions. F example I last used my Kästle MX 84s in Jan for about a week in total on (then) largely icy pistes. I then did my usual 6 week stint instructing before skiing largely off piste on other skis for a couple of weeks. On Sunday I returned to the MX 84s & had them serviced & re-tuned for slush.. before anyone asks, yes the “before & after difference” is noticeable..
latest report
…as for my teaching skis..I have them serviced at least once a week or after a client has skied into them - whichever happens sooner..
snow conditions
Ymmv but as a 80 day per year skier with several pairs of skis, I have them serviced every 6-10 days of usage depending on conditions. F example I last used my Kästle MX 84s in Jan for about a week in total on (then) largely icy pistes. I then did my usual 6 week stint instructing before skiing largely off piste on other skis for a couple of weeks. On Sunday I returned to the MX 84s & had them serviced & re-tuned for slush.. before anyone asks, yes the “before & after difference” is noticeable..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy