Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Mojo ?

Poster: A snowHead
Husband has no cartilage in knee, I have been looking into this for a couple years now, thinking of testing one in Paradiski at Easter.
I have read loads of good reviews, anyone any experience of one with the same issue (no cartilage)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gilly28,
There's a lot of people on here have them and virtually everyone is positive. I have had one for a few years now and find it has really helped my knees. I get pretty inflamed cartilage rather than having no cartilage though, but I would struggle to ski much without it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have had mojos for 10 years and could not ski without them. Both knees bone on bone (new ones due imminently). Heard of friends yesterday who bought some in Vd'I this week -and cannot believe how good they are. Keep an eye out for second hand ones on eBay & this site. But just get some. You won't look back
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS Or put a wanted ad on this site
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
no one with persistent degenerative knee pain will ever be negative about a Ski Mojo. I lasted 2 runs when I broke mine at XMAS before retiring for the day, in pain, all power gone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ski Mojo - mine kept me skiing for a good few years before a total knee replacement a couple of years ago and I still continue to use it now for additional support and to ski for longer every day. I wouldn't ski without it.

There is one in good condition for sale on ebay at present:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326051057978?itmmeta=01HRWDM1KFCCPVAGSFNW25HBY1&hash=item4bea28513a:g:kJoAAOSwuCZl8InE&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNWvYoQs63fo61VH%2FAPkxiBq67OA7rZchIu%2FOyHoYHcfjDorxn51hVyjuxW6s6PhNvNp8jB2oc7Gl1F61AMl7ram7%2FxESD0FNU6Xxisv4rzXiW2dm%2BdJ9c75Lu%2FJA5cneAufA6wDJjtcbAQmh2Ub1Cz53a0ZP8dVhYglctoR82nG1LGxu9EcOrJuuyMHm%2BEkZBygqN7gFatVl4m3eeoy1yOU9ObrTrwu9uzzBkv16IVEbq%2FxUndoplUhu500GYKWrg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-iZ0I3HYw
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FionaG, My husband saw that one on Ebay. He’s on the max for the weight of that one (74kilos) also wondering whether to wait till to try it at easter. Guess he could sell it on if he didn’t take to it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can try them out at some of the UK fridges first of that helps to decide. Contact Ski mojo for details.
It's what helped me decide to buy and definitely haven't regretted it. I've been using it for around 4 years now.

One hinge piece broke in resort but SkiMojo fixed it for free on return to the UK. Had a replacement hinge put in in La Plagne (at cost) so luckily able to continue the holiday but also now have a spare hinge!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

You can try them out at some of the UK fridges first of that helps to decide.

You can also try them out in the resort at shops that stock them. I tried mine out in Les Arcs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We both have Mojo's, we have had them about 5 yrs. Husband broke the hinge in his 3 weeks ago in B.C. He needs to get it fixed there was no where over in BC to get it fixed so he had 10 day skiing without it. He ended up with sore knees and so we had short skiing days .
Going to send the broken bits off and order a couple of spare bits to take away .
Be prepared to have the mojos taken out of the luggage and examined at every airport.
Get the one appropriate for the weight of the person using it.
Check the clips on the boots everyday, don't dismantle the mojos for travelling without taking loads of pictures about settings. ( sister forgot it took 4 days to get them sorted again.) Buy spares in uk before you go away.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@joneski,
Bad luck on your mojo breaking.
I've only travelled short haul in Europe but have done so many times with a mojo and never had it examined at an airport.
Was it just a transatlantic flight or has it happened elsewhere?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I lost my seat belt in Japan (I think I left in the onsen) but only realised when I got to france later in the season. I walked into a dealers 100m from my apartment and they loaned me one until a replacement arrived from the manufacturer in France.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@joneski, I managed to break the main housing twice, and one in an early version the cable became detached at one end. All of these were replaced free of charge, the earlier ones direct from the Manufacturer, later ones from the ski shop here in the village where I bought mine. So you shouldn't need to buy any spare parts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dread having to resort to a mojo, the faff factor as described, even by fans on this thread, fills me with gloom.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I dread having to resort to a mojo, the faff factor as described, even by fans on this thread, fills me with gloom.

TBH it's a bit less than putting on ski boots: Belt on, clip each each leg into belt, do up 4 velcro staps, add trousers and finally once boots are on clip onto boots. Putting boots on goes like this: prise boot apart, force foot into boot (this may take some time if the boots are cold), pull up inner boot tongue, force tongue under boot flaps, pull up draw cord on inner boots and tuck into sock, do up velco strap on inner boot, do up four clips, do up power strap, repeat for other boot and finnally clip in mojo.
ski holidays
joneski wrote:
We both have Mojo's, we have had them about 5 yrs. Husband broke the hinge in his 3 weeks ago in B.C. He needs to get it fixed there was no where over in BC to get it fixed so he had 10 day skiing without it. He ended up with sore knees and so we had short skiing days .
Going to send the broken bits off and order a couple of spare bits to take away .
Be prepared to have the mojos taken out of the luggage and examined at every airport.
Get the one appropriate for the weight of the person using it.
Check the clips on the boots everyday, don't dismantle the mojos for travelling without taking loads of pictures about settings. ( sister forgot it took 4 days to get them sorted again.) Buy spares in uk before you go away.

I feel for your husband - not sure I would even last a week without my Mojos. I was wondering why you would need to take the Mojo apart for travelling? Mine fits both in my checked luggage and in a smallish rucksack (hand luggage) without having to dismantle it in any way. Like others, I have had my bag checked to see what's in it. At security in Venice airport in January, my rucksack was pulled out for inspection and the security man looked rather confused by it until I explained what it was!
ski holidays
Unfortunately the snowdome in Glasgow has closed, hence now why thinking of trying in resort (Les Coches think some Montchavin ski shops test them if not im sure La Plagne will).
Thanks for the comments re spare parts, definite ly something to consider.
latest report
I guess faffs are additive so if your boots are a faff a mojo adds to it
I don't always do my boots the way as above but things that I have found a bit of a faff with my mojo.

Firstly I needed to get new salopettes as my mojo didn't fit under my old ones.
Perfectly decent Arcteryx salopettes now redundant.
Fortunately I found a pair of very cheap winter climbing salopettes from Decathlon worked fine.

On chair lifts the things they have stuck on in the middle to stop kids falling through mean there's less room which is exacerbated by the mojo which has occasionally got trapped.

If you are wearing the mojo but not boots for instance to drive a car , the thing keeps slipping down which is mildly awkward / uncomfortable to keep hitching up.

Occasionally the length slips and I don't have markings left so have to guess the length when resetting.

The clips for the belt have come out a couple of times and are now not fully engaged .

The boot studs loosened several times and one eventually broke, the replacements are much better designed and work just fine.

I find the velcro straps slip a bit, I do find it a slight faff putting on, particularly if it has twisted.

Maybe I've been lucky but in quite a few years of use nothing major has failed on me.

The above are basically very minor inconveniences compared with the massive benefits it has given to keep me skiing generally hassle free on dodgy knees.
I have several friends who are users and they are all happy with them.

Oh and doing the mojo stretch to re-engage the spring aways provides amusement to onlookers but isn't really a faff.
snow report
@T Bar, They were transatlantic flights but the examination took place at Manchester and Heathrow not looked at at Vancouver on the way home , but checked at Heathrow on the way to Manchester. There are normally 3 of us travelling 1person carries the Mojo's in a rucksack and that goes through checking first. Then hopefully they go oh! 2 more .
snow report
@FionaG, I have no problem with my mojo but 6'6" husband and 5'11" sister ! My sister couldn't get the mojo in her hand luggage and hadn't taken the rucksack as she had to take laptop to work for a few days! She's bought a bigger hand luggage bag now.
snow report
No real faff once you get used to it. If rather be able to ski all day than endure knee pain and have to give up by lunchtime.

I always carry mine in carry on hand luggage with a strap to keep them folded at around 90 degrees at the hinge. I also always tip it out into the security tray to avoid the bag disappearing and being questioned heavily by the staff. If they can see it then it tends to go through. If you "hide" it is been regarded as "suspicious" on the past.
snow report
joneski wrote:
@T Bar, They were transatlantic flights but the examination took place at Manchester and Heathrow not looked at at Vancouver on the way home , but checked at Heathrow on the way to Manchester. There are normally 3 of us travelling 1person carries the Mojo's in a rucksack and that goes through checking first. Then hopefully they go oh! 2 more .

Ah fair enough I just stick it in my hold baggage.
snow report
@T Bar,
"Occasionally the length slips and I don't have markings left so have to guess the length when resetting"

There are white plastic pieces to place inside the Mojo to prevent any slippage. Or are you missing these on the version number you have. Mine haven't self-adjusted in years.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

I wouldn’t dread the idea, though I’ll be putting off the evil day for as long as my knees can keep up with @TJToms’ mechanical assistance.

It has to all intents & purposes cancelled out the strength/endurance benefits that result from my Y-chromosome - so much so that she’s now ever so slightly faster - after slagging me off for going too quickly & not enjoying the view!

The serious point would be that using it expands your stress/strain envelope and helps avoid knee or hip damage - hopefully resulting in more skiing time before replacement joints are required.
snow conditions
Always put them in hand luggage and get pulled at security 80% of the time. Put them in hand luggage, with my boots, as they are the 2 things vital to my holiday part from passport and wallet

Mine are the largest size an I take my rods out for travel. I have the spacers fitted accurately, so on arrival i just put the spacers in, then the rods and fasten the clip.

@Hurtle, It does seem like a faff, but like putting your boots on as a beginner, it just becomes automatic.

I lay mine out with the seat belt on a chair, step through the support elastic for each leg, sit down on the chair, put the 2 velcro straps on each leg, the elastic support hanging strap over my neck.... and away. 60 seconds at most. Once the boots are on I take off the neck support, if I remember.If not I take it off when my neck gets sore Laughing

If the mojo isn't set up right and the top rod is too long then that can make attaching to the boot difficult, but once youve established the correct lengths it should always be plain sailing.

That said, last year, I forgot to put the spacers in and had the rods far too short for the first day...Doyle
ski holidays
TJToms wrote:
@T Bar,
"Occasionally the length slips and I don't have markings left so have to guess the length when resetting"

There are white plastic pieces to place inside the Mojo to prevent any slippage. Or are you missing these on the version number you have. Mine haven't self-adjusted in years.

Not sure I'll have a look, one of the rods is slightly bent so maybe I need a new one.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Im with you there, I'm looking at them as I have a ruptured ACL and MCL tear, so I am busy as hell trying to get my legs strong enough for next season, and praying I don't need to resort to this contraption.
snow report
I confess I had to Google what they were - I initially thought it meant the power/energy/desire to ski. At over 70 I guess I'm lucky not to need knee supports.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
billb wrote:
I confess I had to Google what they were - I initially thought it meant the power/energy/desire to ski. At over 70 I guess I'm lucky not to need knee supports.

Wow - lucky. I'm very envious.
If I "switch off" the mojo to try a run without it I soon regret it Shocked
latest report
I'm currently in Alpe D'huez with my dad. He got a MoJo here last year, 42 years since we first went skiing.

He is trasnformed at the the young age of 77!

Another 2 weeks of practice and the whole 'faff' is getting much quicker, but without the help it's given him he wouldn't be skiing now.

He's told me once he pops his clogs the MoJo is mine Very Happy
latest report
@ciderinsport, made me smile that did
latest report
I purchased a ski mojo in November due to increasing knee pain and subsequent panic about the upcoming season. It’s the best ski purchase I’ve ever made and my most important piece of kit. Without it I would not have been able to continue skiing and would have had to retire as with my other sports activities. I’ve used mine on 3 ski trips so far this season and 3x per week indoors. I’ve purchased a few spare parts so I can continue skiing if a hinge breaks and whilst waiting for repair.

My skiing has actually improved due to being able to ski greater distances and not battling fatigue. It also allows skiing to feel really smooth - I would be tempted to continue using it even without knee pain.

The only problems are occasionally the springs disengage by themselves which is annoying. Sometimes they don’t engage right away at the top of the lift. It was challenging to figure out how to fit these around shin guards so I can train slalom but it’s just about possible- not an issue for 99.9% of users I’m sure.

I’m only 34. This isn’t the future I envisioned for myself but the ski mojo has allowed me to continue doing what I love which is life saving. I wish I’d bought it sooner. 100% recommend.
ski holidays
@stephap, I think that, had I been your age and as incapacitated as you seem to be, I wouldn't be whingeing about the possible faff factor. (I'm 77 and can so far ski without pain, though my knees hurt a bit when I stop after a full day.) So glad you can do what you love, sounds like a superb outcome and a great advertisement for Mojos.
latest report
I shared a room with Mr Ski Mojo at the 2012 EOSB. I used it a few times to get the hang of it but haven't resorted to it full time. I then found that when I changed to telemark, I would get high sided by the springs, but a change to the weaker ones fixed that.
I nearly joined the SM Club full time a week ago. My skis crossed telemarking on an unpisted black run in very deep and heavy powder. I consequently had a slow backward fall, head downhill, and heard a pop on the way. ACL I thought. Right foot/leg ended turned clockwise through 160°. I needed freeing by other skiers Damage limited to strained MCL and ankle ligaments. 3 days off skiing. I think the pop was the toe pins releasing, but heel was still trapped.
ski holidays
Hi guys, thinking of testing out the ski mojo tomorrow in VT and the lady here said it was better to wear them over leggings to avoid chaffing. I don’t wear leggings (and don’t have any with me) as I tend to get hot, especially in spring. Do any of you wear them on bare legs under ski trousers?
snow report
@Cato, over leggings but I'd be happy to test without
snow conditions
I saw a guy skiing with his Ski Mojo on the outside of his salopettes, he didn't seem to have any issues?
ski holidays
I wear them with. I have certainly seen them worn over salopettes as above. I guess you could always go and buy some cheap ladies tights and cut off the feet.
snow conditions
I used to wear tights under my Mojo, but now I just wear them with nothing underneath. I have not had any problems with chaffing. I have a newish pair of ladies Dare2be ski trousers which are roomy enough to accommodate the Mojo. Plus they do the trousers in a short length for us petite ladues.
ski holidays
Cato wrote:
Hi guys, thinking of testing out the ski mojo tomorrow in VT and the lady here said it was better to wear them over leggings to avoid chaffing. I don’t wear leggings (and don’t have any with me) as I tend to get hot, especially in spring. Do any of you wear them on bare legs under ski trousers?

I have done a couple of days "bareback" without problem. See them regularly worn on the outside too.

Re FAFF.

I have semi scleral contact lenses to put in each morning and ski mojo to put on

I know have the lenses down to 1 minute (including rinsing) and the mojo to 30 seconds

Attaching the mojo to the boots now down to an extra 10 seconds

Virtually faff free
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy