Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing France 2024

Poster: A snowHead
I've been sifting through all the usual pages online and don't seem to be able to find the start & end dates for summer skiing (Les Deux Alpes & Tignes).

It's always been very easy to find this info before and several sites have the 2023 dates.
Are the resorts waiting to assess the snow cover in March / April ? before they make an announcement?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JanA, les deux alpes is open from the 29th April to 7th July for ski clubs and people on courses

If Tignes opens it will be 4 weeks from mid June, ditto Val d'Isere. Usually Val d'Isere is a week earlier with the opening of the col. Nothing announced for Tignes yet though AFAIKS.

Pretty meagre even if there is a lot of snow at altitude this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply.
Having skied at LDA many summers in the last 20 yrs I find the "for ski clubs & people on courses" very worrying.
I think in the past they may have restricted possibly the first week or couple of weekends for race training etc but it now sounds like casual 'holiday' skiers are not welcome at all Sad

Since your post I've found a page for Les Deux Alpes with information that matches yours. Sad end of an era!

Have to keep fingers crossed for Tignes I suppose.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JanA, are you only interested in going to France?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whats the meaning of "people on courses"
what kind of courses?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, There may be La Grave too, but again would be just for clubs doing race training.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
turms2 wrote:
whats the meaning of "people on courses"
what kind of courses?

Ski courses! Slalom, race, bumps etc etc Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that means e.g. a usual coruse with the ESF is not in the "liste"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JanA wrote:

Since your post I've found a page for Les Deux Alpes with information that matches yours. Sad end of an era!

yes, basically summer glacier skiing as it was once known is done. Les Deux Alpes is basically proposing spring glacier skiing.

The French govt. want to stop it too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val d’Isere has confirmed 8 June to 5 July for summer skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swskier wrote:

Yes, because it is part of our usual 2 week traipse around France Wink
We live in Cumbria so it's bit of a trek to the channel ports anyway and then the drive down to the Alps. We have been to Hintertux and to Bormio (one visit to each) but the long drive is rather a drain.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

yes, basically summer glacier skiing as it was once known is done.

Sadly true. I'm old enough to have owned a map of Chamonix that had "ski d'ete" marked on the Aiguille D'Index area and on the glacier up at the Aiguille du Midi Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
muppet wrote:
Val d’Isere has confirmed 8 June to 5 July for summer skiing.

Stupid question, I have never done summer skiing & it looks like my chances of doing are getting slimmer by the year. We are going to be in the Alps start of July & as Val d'Isere is only 2.15 hours away I think we may give it a go.

The stupid question is, what do you wear? is it base layer & light jacket?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dependant on the weather, layers right down to a t-shirt, super strong sunscreen and good sunglasses. Don't pre-book lift passes and only expect a good hour or two per day. The area is usually very limited with most of the space hired out by teams.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never understood “summer skiing”.

I enjoy time in the mountains as much as anyone, but the thought of going skiing when it’s 20/30c, on very limited hard ice/slush, whilst moaning about the lack of snow in summer, whilst contributing to climate change is slightly ironic to say the least!

Summer skiing should be banned IMO, let the mountain recoup and recover.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
....but the thought of going skiing when it’s 20/30c, on very limited hard ice/slush.....

Ironically that's what we're going to be doing in an hour or so Laughing

Last day of the season and today is meant to be hotter than yesterday when temps hit 25 on our terrace!

But know what you mean, only going up the hill as a social ski etc I'm half thinking of driving down to Lac Serre Poncon mid-afternoon to see if the thermals are working yet for a Wing-Foil Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
Never understood “summer skiing”.
Each to their own eh? I've always loved it. IMO, it certainly beats lying on a beach somewhere. Prior to the curtailed summer sking operations of recent years, weve had some great times at Tignes from May to September.

Must admit, though, the post above is the first time I've seen summer skiers singled out re climate change. So is The Alps ruled out in the summer per se on that basis Puzzled
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
....but the thought of going skiing when it’s 20/30c, on very limited hard ice/slush.....

Ironically that's what we're going to be doing in an hour or so

Yes, mid April is the new summer skiing.

29C in Grenoble today.

--

36C this pm on the car thermometer and too hot for me to go out.
snow report
JanA wrote:
swskier wrote:

Yes, because it is part of our usual 2 week traipse around France Wink
We live in Cumbria so it's bit of a trek to the channel ports anyway and then the drive down to the Alps. We have been to Hintertux and to Bormio (one visit to each) but the long drive is rather a drain.

There is very little difference between driving from Calais to L2A or driving from Europoort to Hintertux. If you add your driving time in UK from Cumbria then you have 2 - 3 hours to Hull or min 6 to Dover (unless overnight) so overall much less driving to Hintertux.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

29C in Grenoble today.

--

Winter says 'Hold My Beer'
latest report
Quote:

I enjoy time in the mountains as much as anyone, but the thought of going skiing when it’s 20/30c, on very limited hard ice/slush, whilst moaning about the lack of snow in summer, whilst contributing to climate change is slightly ironic to say the least!

I had many good summer trips to L2A when I was a teenager.

Park snowboarding in the morning. Little bit of fun pond skimming to get over the river/puddle at the dip before the gondola. Down in time for a nice lunch in the sun in the valley. Afternoons spent doing other alp summer adventure activities or swimming/sunbathing.

Looks like its the end of an era for that. Guess it was a bit inevitable with changing climate.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

29C in Grenoble today.

--

Winter says 'Hold My Beer'

Yes, snow on Wednesday but around here winter is done, too much sand in the snow
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy