Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dump of the 23-24 season ongoing

Poster: A snowHead
The biggest snowdump of the 2023-24 season is ongoing now. A combination of "Retour d'Est" and Südstau.
Epicentrum is the Italian side of the MonteRosa massief.

Just look at this mouth watering video from Macugnaga, 1 valley east of Alagna.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/EfxMpqEuQ8AhUvpD/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow.

The forecast maps @Polo relayed here days ago showed Macugnaga as the snow epicentre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meanwhile the northern French alps look like they're warm and sunny, with a fair bit of grass.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Precipitation incoming, but.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Onnem, it's actually too much snow. Several resorts are completely shut today, including Gressoney:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5264731#5264731
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Origen wrote:
Meanwhile the northern French alps look like they're warm and sunny, with a fair bit of grass.

Where exactly do you mean by 'northern French alps'... The Tarantaise valley which is generally excepted as 'northern French alps' is generally far from it - especially at altitude with snowfalls (before now and will now be even better) showing the best depth levels of the last 30 years or so (again I stress at altitude - not sure lower altitudes though).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Be Nice please! the world that I can't get out to enjoy it. Maybe next weekend.

Did I read polo saying the set up is for it to remain cold?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Origen, above 2,000 it's not (well not in Chamonix) ... and there is more snow than I have possibly ever seen at altitude ...

We're definitely not getting anything right now though Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gressoney currently isolated

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Origen, above 2,000 it's not (well not in Chamonix) ... and there is more snow than I have possibly ever seen at altitude ...

We're definitely not getting anything right now though Sad

Yea exactly im a little confused! Lower slopes / altitudes is very different to higher altitudes this season!

Im in Val d'Isere and we are getting the biggest snowstorm of the season producing insane amounts of snow! Wind high too!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re snow line.

On the windward slope (Italy) the snow level is low due to precipitation cooling.

On the leeward side, snow line high due to föhn effect.

This is ALWAYS the case for
-retour d'est
-südstau
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The majority of resort buildings and slopes in the Northern French alps are, I would hazard a guess, below 2000m and experiencing a relatively poor season. For much of the Evasion Mont Blanc, Portes du Soleil, Espace Diamant and GM there is no fresh snow, the foehn will play havoc with existing cover and there's not much joy to be found in the precarious PN level for the next round of precipitation. The fact that a few spots are drowning in the stuff is not much consolation!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Origen wrote:
The majority of resort buildings and slopes in the Northern French alps are, I would hazard a guess, below 2000m...
70% of the pistes in Les Arcs are above 2000m. Conditions are what you'd expect in these warmer than average temperatures (hard-packed first thing, softening as the day goes on), but there is plenty of snow on those slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Italopow right now is like Japow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitegold, as in it's light?
snow report
well Denfinella got rained on in the Brenta Dolomites today, right down to the underpants. Dumping down in Monterosa though, where lifts are closed.

Yes, there are resorts with plenty of skiing above 2000m and many others with very little above that level. It's an extremely mixed picture, however people try to present it, for the very beginning of March. The Haute Tarentaise is an exception and I suppose that is what many people think of as "French skiing".
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
It's an extremely mixed picture...
It is, which is why this season it's been extremely difficult to make any kind of valid generalisation about snow conditions.
ski holidays
What is clear though is that the snow line is rising generally and this year it’s higher than I have ever seen it…through Jan/feb/march. Above 1800m you probably wouldn’t notice much difference, below that it is stark.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-03-24 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Origen wrote:
It's an extremely mixed picture...
It is, which is why this season it's been extremely difficult to make any kind of valid generalisation about snow conditions.

they suck

snow conditions
davidof wrote:
they suck
Undoubtedly true in many places. In other places...

snow report
8611 wrote:
@Whitegold, as in it's light?

Deep and bottomless and hasn't stopped puking hard for a week.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
.....Deep and bottomless.....

Bit like your brain Laughing Laughing

Friend is currently driving to Turin and jams on the autoroute towards the peage outside Oulx due to heavy snow there !

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 3-03-24 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
well Denfinella got rained on in the Brenta Dolomites today, right down to the underpants.

Thanks for that Laughing

Yes, in Trentino (central / eastern Italian Alps) I'd estimate you need to go above 2,000m to find anything resembling winter powder. Not many slopes in that area go that high. There is loads of snow above 1400-1700m (from north to south) but the depth drops off pretty quickly below that.
latest report
@davidof, where’s that?
latest report
@Kramer, Montalbert La Plagne circa 1350m
snow report
Kramer wrote:
@davidof, where’s that?

I think it's Montalbert as I'm monitoring La Plagne webcams as going to Montchavin next Sunday, which looks even more dodgy but rest of La Plagne looks good.

Edited once for embarrassing spelling mistake!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-03-24 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stevew wrote:
Kramer wrote:
@davidof, where’s that?

I think it's Montalbert as I'm monitoring La Plage webcams as going to Montchavin next Sunday, which looks even more dodgy but rest of La Plage looks good.

I see what you've done there.... Cool
ski holidays
@Whitegold, yes but IS IT LIGHT
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please.

I started this topic, about THE dump of the season, around the MonteRosa.

Not for pityful pictures from resorts meteoroligically less lucky.
snow report
Onnem wrote:
Please.

I started this topic, about THE dump of the season, around the MonteRosa.

Not for pityful pictures from resorts meteoroligically less lucky.
Thread drift, it's a bitch.
snow report
@rob@rar, Laughing
ski holidays
Does anyone care about MontaLosa?

Now if you were talking about the Massif Central, that's another thing

ski holidays
@davidof, wow!
snow report
Prali, West Piemonte.

ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Does anyone care about MontaLosa?

Now if you were talking about the Massif Central, that's another thing

Were the Massif Central ski stations able to open in this warm winter?

Looks amazing just now.
https://www.sancy.com/pratique/webcams/
snow report
snow conditions
Snow&skifan wrote:

Were the Massif Central ski stations able to open in this warm winter?

With a great deal of difficulty le Lioran and Super Besse/Le Mont Dore opened partially. A bit gutting they get the dump of the winter after the winter holidays just when they are thinking of shutting.
The cross country (around 20 areas) didn't open, they are opening today though.
snow report
Liftlines this morning are 200ft long.

Day of the season.
snow conditions
Certainly odd webcams for Front de Neige Les Gets for example are very sparse looking but other places receiving vast quantities of snow. Presume some is related to altitude and also pot luck where it is falling.
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
Certainly odd webcams for Front de Neige Les Gets for example are very sparse looking but other places receiving vast quantities of snow. Presume some is related to altitude and also pot luck where it is falling.

This dump is a Southerly so stops at the main Alpine ridge. Head a few km south to Italy and you can benefit
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy