Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria off piste rescue

Poster: A snowHead
what is the equivalent of Rega for Austria? I plan to be in the Arlberg if the location matters.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure what Rega is, but we have just returned from Solden/Obergurgl and whilst we didn't notice it until mid way through our week, the lift pass kiosks did advertise a 3 euro per day per person 'Slope Insurance' add-on to the lift pass.

..Nick
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mr. mike, the Arlberg lift company offer an add on rescue insurance for a few Euros a day. It is in combination with the local helicopter company. However it is not entirely clear what it covers, certainly anything on piste and on an official ski route anything outside of that is somewhat more vague. You might be better off taking out membership of the Alpenverein (Austrian Alpine Club in the UK) which includes rescue insurance in any mountain related accident and most non professional sporting situations. It will cover you to be helicoptered out and sent home if needed. Do note that it is not travel insurance and the medical cover is purely a top up in case the local clinic is private, you need to have proper medical cover in place possibly the UK health card.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure UK healthcare and insurance will be much use to someone coming from the US...

If you take out a travel policy that covers off-piste skiing in Europe, then that should also include rescue/helicopter costs etc., but do check the policy details.
Be aware that any off-piste is not secured outside of marked routes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
big_ben wrote:
I'm not sure what Rega is,

It's a Swiss helicopter rescue service. It's used nationally except where there's a specific local heli rescue service (and even there if necessary) and is available to all. You can become a member which may give you some additional benefits but you don't need to, as it would be paid by your accident insurance anyway (and everyone living here has to have accident insurance). Some people are under the misaprehension that it's for members-only, but that is ceryainly not the case. I was even picked up by them when I had a motorbike accident in France - they would not have had any idea whether I was Swiss resident or a member, they're just the local heli rescue service to that area (near to Basel, but they let me choose whether to take me to a Swiss or French hospital).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mr. mike, Plus one for the AAC Rescue package and cheaper if you add family members. But, as a 'Murican you'll definitely need your own medical insurance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm covered on medical insurance. My private insurance (which is the only option in the US if under 65) covers me worldwide, although with a lot more hassle than in country.

However, what I'm worried about is the payment for transport off the mountain to the healthcare, so I'll look into Austrian Alpine Club.

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mr. mike,

https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/service/mitgliedschaft/membership-benefits.php
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If all you need is cover for transport off the mountain being a Bergrettung member/supporter covers that https://bergrettung.tirol/foerderer/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
@mr. mike,

https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/service/mitgliedschaft/membership-benefits.php

Becareful with Austrian alpine club cover. I was helicopter off end of December, presenting my OAV at time of accident.
We were sent a bill for over €6000. They said my accident wasn't life threatening, fractured femur with serious loss of blood.
Luckily my bank insurance covered us.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Teletart wrote:
swskier wrote:
@mr. mike,

Becareful with Austrian alpine club cover. I was helicopter off end of December, presenting my OAV at time of accident.
We were sent a bill for over €6000. They said my accident wasn't life threatening, fractured femur with serious loss of blood.

Sorry to hear about your experience but the AAC insurance is for "Rescue" and some third party liability, not for medical treatment. It makes that clear in the T&C. The OP specifically asked for advice on Rescue Cover and I pointed out in an earlier post that they would need medical cover on top, which they acknowledged.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The bill we were sent was for the Helicopter rescue, not for medical treatment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Teletart, I believe you have to contact them prior to getting rescue, I read it on the website somewhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Teletart wrote:
The bill we were sent was for the Helicopter rescue, not for medical treatment.

No reason to dispute your version of events, but if that is the case then please raise the issue with the AAC(UK) as that would appear to contradict the T&C set out in the Insurance document. If necessary the AAC(UK) may need to review their advice.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:
@Teletart, I believe you have to contact them prior to getting rescue, I read it on the website somewhere.

If that's the case, it's ridiculous! You might not even be conscious! Hang on a sec, critically injured person, while I just verify with the insurance company on this slightly dodgy mobile line, that they will be happy to pay up...

As well as ÖAV (AAC), I also have upgraded (Schutzbrief) cover with the ÖAMTC. I believe this covers the heli too, is that right?
snow conditions
Teletart wrote:
swskier wrote:
@mr. mike,

Was the €6000 cover for medical costs or the actual rescue? Very disappointing either way, I hope they at least gave you an explanation? I don't see how you could get off the moutain with a broken femur without a helicopter!
snow report
@swskier, the policy document on the page linked above states (my bold):
Quote:
Note: before repatriation, transport, in-patient medical treatment abroad or transport within the country of main place of residence (not in event of rescue), you must contact the 24h emergency service (or max. EUR 750 will be compensated)

The same document also states:
Quote:
Rescue costs are those costs incurred by local rescue organisations (including the costs of rescue organisations from the neighbouring country in the event of incidents near borders), which are necessary if the insured party has an emergency/accident or must be rescued from mountain or aquatic distress or from off-road terrain, either injured or uninjured (the same applies accordingly in the event of death).
ski holidays
@sah,

The Bill was for the helicopter rescue which had been called by the piste rescue.
The reason for OAV not covering the cost was my accident was not deemed life threatening.

It was very alarming to get back from a week in hospital to such a large bill. I've been an Austrian alpine club member for over 20 yrs.

It appears they are sending out lots of bills and then you really have to fight. Nationwide insurance took it up with them and the bill was sorted, but not sure by who. It was very stressful and not what you need when injured and away from home.
snow conditions
Teletart wrote:
@sah,

The Bill was for the helicopter rescue which had been called by the piste rescue.
The reason for OAV not covering the cost was my accident was not deemed life threatening.

It was very alarming to get back from a week in hospital to such a large bill. I've been an Austrian alpine club member for over 20 yrs.

It appears they are sending out lots of bills and then you really have to fight. Nationwide insurance took it up with them and the bill was sorted, but not sure by who. It was very stressful and not what you need when injured and away from home.

What a dreadful experience.

I know AAC cover is fairly basic, e.g. I was aware it doesn't cover being treated in a private clinic for example (which are fairly common in ski resorts), but to refuse helicopter rescue in a case like this seems to make the it worthless.

I hope you went on to make full recovery after that, it sounds nasty.
snow report
@sah,
I'm back in UK after 4 weeks in Austria.
Progressing slowly on the crutches.
We will see next winter if I can ski again.
snow conditions
@Teletart, on a more positive note it seems Nationwide were good? A friend of mine had a bad accident last year and Nationwide were excellent. As he was injured I called them up on his behalf, they obviously didn't want to discuss details with me as I wasn't the account holder but they were very helpful. They told me to not worry about which hospital he was taken to, they'd cover any private clinic or state hospital, no question at all.
latest report
Teletart wrote:
swskier wrote:
@mr. mike,

That doesn't sound good - our son was helicoptered off a mountain in Switzerland last summer after a very painful but non life threatening mountain biking accident - I informed AAC that evening (Allianz help line) and they said thanks for letting us know and just forward the helicopter bill (about CHF 7000) when you receive it - all handled a month later without fuss.
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, I misread that then, in my defence I wasn't looking for that info, just skimmed it while looking through the website.
ski holidays
Wish I'd read this thread before renewing my AAC membership half an hour ago... I have to say it's extremely difficult from the documentation provided to see just what cover they do give. The suggestion that one might have to contact them before getting rescued off the mountain is ridiculous.
snow report
I'm currently searching for suitable ski-touring/mountaineering insurance, and have found the UK section of the OAV very helpful (as a native English-speaker with just-about-get-away-with-it German language skills).

The English version of the Alpenverein Weltweit Service booklet, with all the insurance details needed is here: https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/Member-Benefits/Alpenverein-Weltweit-Service-AWS.php and you can download it in a pdf. I hope this helps.

Only just joined Snowheads (why didn't I hear about this years ago?) so I hope I haven't mucked up this first post, or transgressed any rules!
snow report
an option is this also
https://www.skiaustria.at/de/services/versicherung/versicherung-mitglieder
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy