Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on Warth near Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone from South Africa, thanks for all the amazing info on Snowheads. Going skiing in VT this Easter (if coming this far, need to have good snow). But I was very tempted by Warth, connected to Lech-St Anton arlberg area. As Lech is too expensive for our currency and St Anton too low (imo). It said it was super-snowy but I was nervous about it being all the way over to one side. Has anyone stayed in Warth or skied there and would it be an option for 2025? All thoughts welcome. We have to do Easter due to university holidays. We are adult family of 5 with mix Blush of experts/strong intermediates. Thanks! Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cato, Warth is lovely, but it's not really comparable to Lech or St Anton. There is limited shopping, not much to do outside of the hotels, so don't expect lively apres ski nor night life. The local skiing is really very good around Warth/Schroeken, slopes are varied and orientation mainly N/W means conditions tend to remain good. I skied there 2 weeks ago when the Arlberg was a washout in some places, and frozen teflon on most pistes, and I reckon the piste conditions were the best in Warth and Schroeken for the week.
It is out on a limb, pretty isolated by road due to the Warth-Lech road being closed, so staying in Warth needs to be well planned. A pretty little village with good access to the skiing and with good hotels, possibly cheaper but certainly not in the same class as Lech or St Anton.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cato, I second everything Skimastaah has said but will add, Warth is connected to Oberlech via a 10 minute gondola ride. Once there you will have full access to the rest of the Arlberg ski area. It is perfectly possible to ski all the way to St Anton and back in a day. I was based in Lech for five full seasons and did it many times, enjoying skiing all the areas around. If you just wanted to ski over to Lech/Zurs it would still be a great day out. At least stop by in Lech and enjoy a Gluhwein or two.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cato, Warth has a shorter season than the rest of the Arlberg so you need to check if it is still open if planning for Easter (especially if a late Easter). Not sure it really gets more snow than the rest of the area (beyond tourist office sales blah) maybe it is slightly less exposed to any southern Föhn and maybe it would be slightly more exposed to a northern "Stau" (though that can mean rain too). St Anton is only slightly lower than Lech (and high for the eastern alps) and it tops out higher. These things are subjective but I think it keeps its snow better than Lech, yes both have south facing home slopes above the village which turn to mush in spring (or in a warm February!) but I think Lech more affected than St Anton. As has been pointed out Warth is rather isolated not just from the rest of the skiing but also in terms of access, it is not that easy to get to in Winter (the only access to Lech is via skis & lift). If you fly into Zürich it is a slow drive up from the Rhine valley, if Munich a long way down the upper Lechtal. No doubt it has its attractions, a pleasant village with some good local skiing (though a long way from St Anton which has the highest skiing in the area) but not sure it is a good choice for Easter when you have to plan so far in advance. Might be worth considering Ischgl too, certainly a "safer" option from a skiing perspective.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used to regularly ski Warth during the late ‘80’s. Was last there about 6 years ago. Has changed a lot in the interim but with the link to Lech opens up greater possibilities.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skimastaah pretty much nails it. I would add though - just come back from that area and Oberlech runs in better condition than Warth-Schrocken. As has been mentioned, it is much quieter than Lech/Oberlech let alone St Anton. From what I can gather it's four lift rides to then ski down to the Auenfeldjet gondola to Oberlech from Warth town. Bit of a pain if you want to venture further.

Worth considering but overall I think there are better options to link into a big area at lower cost.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m skiing with my family in Warth this Easter so reading this with interest and will report back!

We’ve booked directly with a small hotel and have spoke to the tourist information in the town. Very impressed so far .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kind of agree with @skimastaaah, its a great place, we’ve stayed there many weeks but whilst its on the same lift pass as Lech its definitely not as good skiing as Lech and St Anton, the vertical drop of the runs is quite limited compared with Lech and St Anton. Absolutely brilliant in fresh powder conditions but it doesn’t tend to hold its snow particularly well into the late season, much patchy areas and brown snow from Salober to Auenfeldjet ime and I’d say better options elsewhere. Used to be much cheaper before they built the Auenfeldjet but now on a par with the rest of the Ski Arlberg area, and tbph its not as good imv, better places to ski into the area than from Warth. Great ski runs and tame OP if conditions permit, one particular favourite is the run down to Schroeken and Korbersee, but on the whole unless you use the link it can feel quite limiting, you end us skiing the same runs quite often.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cato, Good advice by @skimastaaah, @Old Man Of Lech, @Markymark29

But@munich_irish, is spreading false rumors. Warth definitely has a proven record of most snow of the Arlberg (and of Austria). And whilst St.Anton indeed has highest skiing at 2650 m, Zürs reaches 2500 m, so there is no real difference. And most would agree that the Lech-Zürs-Warth side in general has better snow conditions than St.Anton throughout the season.

Regarding budget, if you do a really good search (self organized) you should still be able to find reasonable options in Lech and Lech-Zug

But I agree with @Markymark29, Ischgl might be a better choice. Easter is very late in 2025
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my three spring trips to the Arlberg I have found more problems with bad viz in Warth vs, say, Zürs. Small sample size, or is there something to this?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@markymark29, @skimastaaah, @munich_irish and everyone else. Many thanks for the feedback. Keen to get back to Austria and will try to book early to get a deal in Lech, as seems Warth may be too far over/too unpredictable. Have been to Ischgl but didn’t enjoy it as much as Arlberg but maybe that’s just us. Many thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cato, not sure what type of accommodation you are looking for but take a look at some of the 3* Pensions behind the church, they represent good value compared to the big fancy 4-5* hotels.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cato, Agree with you about Arlberg over Ischgl and think biting the bullet over costs for Lech is the right thing to do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cato, I'm not made of money and I liked Haus Mallaun in Lech, stayed there three times. Very friendly and almost ski-in ski-out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Graduated from St Anton to Lech over the years; Warth is worth the visit but not a stay IMO. In my experience it has tended to hold its snow well thanks to the orientation of its slopes. Slightly OT, but if I ski down to Schroken, how do I regain the height - is it a bus to one of the other access points?
ski holidays
@Technician, yep, it's a bus back to Saloberbahn
latest report
Thanks - that makes sense.
latest report
@Technician, It's a great run with a great bar at the bottom and the bus back is scenic.
snow conditions
@red 27, +1 great OP off the sides too
latest report
@red 27, @Markymark29, there are two runs nowadays. We did not like the new one, that passes Nesslegg.
snow conditions
@Cato, Welcome to Snowheads.
Its probably a sensible place for families, especially now there is the link into Lech.
I've not been there for donkeys years.
There are some great little places to ski down the valley if the conditions are OK still ..
Schoppenau, Damuls and Mellau are linked.
I've got to go back myself.
snow report
Thanks for the tips: cheap pension in lech sounds a good plan. Then check out Warth for the day, and access Zurs and the top part of St Anton before the afternoon slush-fest
snow report
@Cato, Exactly. Lech is most central of all Arlberg villages, and the prettiest on top of that.
ski holidays
Fwiw (& admittedly off topic) Warth is an excellent base for some first rate mountain Summer. Three absolute classics within a 20 mins bus/car journey are the Grosser Widderstein, the Karhorn and the Biberkopf (actually the summit is just over the German border but is normally accessed from the Vorarlberg.) All three are pretty exposed, but very good for those with some mountain experience who want to sample walking in the Vorarlberg. (There are, of course, many less committing alternatives such as the eponymous Wartherhorn.)
snow conditions
Oje

"excellent base for some first rate mountain walking in Summer"..
ski holidays
@Bergsteiger278, Yes great hiking in summer. Same is true from Lech and St Anton too.
latest report
I went here for a day from St Anton and it was a fun place to ride.
But it depends on what you're going for but we found it.

- Very Quiet, way quieter than Lech, Zurs and St Anton.
- Very untracked, lots of side-country lines, you feel pretty safe if you stick between runs, and is quite spread out, and also not as gnarly as St Anton for off-piste, so better for intermediate / beginner off-piste.
- Piste wise, we were there afternoon and still good (was Jan mind), mostly pretty mellow, one steepish roller black run i remember as you had to bomb it to make it up the hill the other side.
- Seemed super sleepy in town though!

I'd go back, but would probably not stay there, as others said just pop over on a lift from Lech, you can get a bus from St Anton or ski over (if you want a longer day)
ski holidays
@stephenong85, thanks for the tip re intermediate/beginner off piste. Sums me up though rest of the family more confident.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Regarding 3* pensions in Lech, I stayed at Haus Nenning (http://www.pension-lech.com) this year.

Literally on the ski trail that heads back into the Schlegelkopfbahn. Typical Austrian pension - clean
and spacious rooms, nice breakfast, and a rate around 100EUR per person per night - excellent for
a ski-in/out place in Lech.

Advantage - they have a small ski shop on site so no need to lug your rentals up & down the hill.
Con - walking back up the hill after a big Austrian dinner in town Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowshoer - thanks for the recommendation. Think I stayed up that hill years ago - will check it out for next year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy