Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do solo last minute holidays exist?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wasn’t sure if this is the right forum area or not as it’s about solo ski trip but not trying to find others to go with. Options for going solo are book best available deal at normal price (often with single supplement) or see f you can get a holiday operator to give you a holiday at last minute at a discount. Latter working on assumption tour operator would want to sell holiday even at reduced profit. BUT do tour operators ever really do the last minute offer for solos. I tried once before and they would play even a few days out from the holiday. Has anyone experience of getting a last minute solo deal?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On our trip last year to a lovely shared chalet in Meribel a guy booked the last room on his own two days before. They wanted to charge him a supplement but he ended up just paying the price for one person. Definitely deals to be had, but it's a case of approaching companies directly late on I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bitoffluff, if yo;re hppy to sort your own flights dmaybe transfers then yo umight get a solo room in a chalet more easily than a single room from a tour op
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What exactly are you looking for, @bitoffluff? If you rent a studio the cost is the same for one or two and there are masses available. Transfers are an issue but if you look at schedules of the busses from airport to resort that need not cost you any more as an individual, either. Or as @nbt suggests, look for single spots in independent chalets. I'd forget tour operators.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try YSEski. Unfortunately only Val d'Isere but their chalet/hotel les Chardons has lots of single rooms with no supplement.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bitoffluff wrote:
Latter working on assumption tour operator would want to sell holiday even at reduced profit. BUT do tour operators ever really do the last minute offer for solos. I tried once before and they would play even a few days out from the holiday. Has anyone experience of getting a last minute solo deal?

This is something I used to do quite regularly, nearly always for a double room in a chalet with single occupancy at no supplement. Often with a discount as well as no supplement. But most trips were 5+ years ago, I'm not sure it's so easy since Brexit simply because there seem to be less operators, so less spare capacity.

You mentioned "a few days out" but the vast majority of mine were booked either Thursday afternoon or Friday for Saturday travel in mid/low season. Sometimes I've already been in resort with a hire car and just decided to stay another week and started ringing around. Companies I've got deals from include: Crystal, Silverski, Ski Total, Ski Beat, Skiworld, Snow Retreat and Inghams.

In the majority of cases, the holiday was already advertised as a last minute deal on a site like Igluski, so the negotiation point was simply the, "I want a double bed and don't want to pay a single supplement" bit. I used to pick a shortlist of say, 3-4 discounted deals on a Thursday afternoon on Igluski and then ring them and ask Igluski to ask the question of the operator. I think with the big companies you've got more chance if you let a broker negotiate on your behalf, if it's a small operator, go direct to the owner.

Best result ever was having the entire ground floor of a chalet in Aspen to myself - superking bed, walk-in shower, my own living area with TV, fridge, the lot!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above Eh oh! ️.. ditto those companies and about 6 or so for me last m8nute as a duo! again all 5 years ago. Always on the phone and always within 7 days of travel. Best deals Thursday/Friday for that weekend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when skiing solo i always book up with a catered chalet company, that way you always have the social meal every evening and it dont feel so lonely, i usually look around about a week before i go, i ask them if they have a room with no single supplement, and i have always got one.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philusher76 wrote:
when skiing solo i always book up with a catered chalet company, that way you always have the social meal every evening and it dont feel so lonely, i usually look around about a week before i go, i ask them if they have a room with no single supplement, and i have always got one.

which companies would you recommend for this?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey guys,
We've got 2 space in our chalet in St. Anton. Seems like snow is predicted on Sat next week Cool
Here are the details Smile

Eh oh! ️7 nights accommodation Eh oh! (Chalet Gabl)
Eh oh! ️Both double and twin beds are available Eh oh!
Eh oh! ️full catered. Buffet breakfast, snacks and 3 course meal Eh oh! Eh oh!
Eh oh! ️ all room are en-suites
Eh oh! ️ all levels are welcomed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had last minute solo deals, especially with smaller chalet companies.
I called one, they had availability but like another poster, they wanted a supplement, I simply said I wasn't interested in that case. They gave in & let me have the room without the supplement. It was a very last minute thing, so they were unlikely to fill the space.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="Je suis un Skieur"]
awesomely useful answer! I just sucked up the DIY apartment approach again next year as I got too nervous Id end up not getting a trip at all, but may try taking the risk next year of a last minute TO. I guess its a gslightly bigger challenge as I only have a realistic option of the 2 main Scottish airport - being London based Im guessing would be easier for deals.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dravot wrote:
philusher76 wrote:

which companies would you recommend for this?

any chalet company, just email or ring them all until you find one, the last one was with ski magic in la tania, before that it was puremountainholidays in les gets, there are a few more that dont exist anymore, but i never had any trouble getting a deal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I've just booked a solo holiday for 10th March. Going to Chalet de la Vanois in Montchavin, found using Chalets Direct solution room. Got a sensible flight price from Jet2 Manchester to Geneva ... there's a discount on ski carriage at present £17.50 each way. Happy to share details if anyone needs them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy