Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Authorities issue warning about dangerous snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Avabrunch wrote:
@gixxerniknik, stivot.
Which, by definition, is not a carved turn.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avabrunch wrote:
Or, personally, I have a lie in, a late breakfast - or brunch Smile - wait for the carnage to die down and pick the best softening slopes for a full afternoon until the last lift.
Often a great way to make the best of the conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Avabrunch wrote:
@gixxerniknik, stivot.
Which, by definition, is not a carved turn.

But the question was: "Just how do you slow down when carving?" and the answer is to briefly stop carving as described a la Ted Ligety. Or keep carving back up hill but that gets tiresome.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avabrunch wrote:
… to briefly stop carving ...
Sure, as I said, ‘not carving’.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, rob@rar, you've won.

jirac18 wrote:
Accidents have been consistant over the last few days as conditions worsen through the day and with rising temps. Plenty of blood wagons and helicopters up and down the resort.

I hate seeing that. It's watching your travel insurance premium sky rocket in front of your eyes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avabrunch wrote:
OK, rob@rar, you've won.
Hardly a ‘victory’ of merit. The original advice was just BS.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The authorities are being sensible I think. There were a few steep pitches in Les C over the weekend that while not real ice were highly polished. You need to watch out for those "skiers" who think the right approach to those pitches is to straight line them and hope they can shed enough speed on the next flat section to avoid hitting anyone.

It's not just the teenagers and the Brits that ski too fast for their ability though.

I was skiing a (narrow and winding) run to resort at the end of the day on Sunday. There were some hard sections and some cut up slushy section depending on the elevation plus lots of traffic. A somewhat overweight fifty-something bloke passed me quite close while I was making (very) short pivotty turns at the edge of the piste. He didn't look in great control. I followed him down at a sensible distance watching with increasing alarm as he barely avoided hitting people. Sure enough he eventually took some marginal evasive action, stuck his skis in some slush and had a full yard sale that left him in some piste side netting. I skied up, collected his equipment and took it down to him as he escaped the net. He grinned and gave me a sunny "merci monsieur". I did think twice because I know these things don't generally land that well but felt obliged - "excuse moi monsieur mais c'est trop vite pour VOUS" with a stern face and a wave of the hand in his direction. He just looked down and said "merci" again which probably counts as a result. On the one hand maybe I was a sanctimonious knob but he could easily have taken someone out. It's not OK.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Avabrunch wrote:
OK, rob@rar, you've won.

Wasn't giving advice, merely putting forward a well known solution albeit one used by elite skiers like Whitegold.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avabrunch wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Avabrunch wrote:
OK, rob@rar, you've won.

Wasn't giving advice, merely putting forward a well known solution albeit one used by elite skiers like Whitegold.

Race techniques seldom that applicable to busy public pistes. Fine if they are empty.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avabrunch wrote:
Not your advice, Whitegold’s. Which, as I’m sure you know, was BS. Not least because it’s only a small minority of skiers who can link carved turns, even when the pistes are perfect. If the question is “under what circumstances do you want to ski as fast as you can” not everyone is going to say widespread hard pack and ice, and those that do want to ski as fast as they can in those circumstances probably shouldn’t.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, Most definitely not a sanctimonious knob! Well done. If the authorities aren't going to take a stand some of us have to.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Avabrunch wrote:
Or, personally, I have a lie in, a late breakfast - or brunch Smile - wait for the carnage to die down and pick the best softening slopes for a full afternoon until the last lift.
Often a great way to make the best of the conditions.
Noted. wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
…but he could easily have taken someone out. It's not OK.
You’re absolutely right, it’s not OK. I’ve been taken out in conditions like we’re seeing in the Alps at the moment, by someone who almost certainly was skiing far too fast for the conditions. There are just too many people who are skiing right at the edge of wiping out, as a matter of routine not as a result of the occasional loss of control. They throw their skis sideways at the start of the turn, then desperately try to find some edge grip as they zig zag their way down the slope not in complete control of their speed or their line. I’m sure the comments in this thread about the bloodwagons being on overtime are sadly all too true.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Noted. wink Toofy Grin
Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, on contrary, punters make excellent slalom poles!
ski holidays
Snowheads ski experts …. what is the technique for skiing on unavoidable sheet ice?

From memory, Ali Ross taught me; sharp ski edges, taking it gently with no sudden moves, I think he advised not to worry about the sound of the ice (people stiffen up on just hearing it) and to turn where things are a little easier. This has seen me fair.
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan,
Quote:

turn where things are a little easier.

This was an important lesson I learned during a memorable early season week with Inside Out Skiing on blue ice in Tignes. It was all going fine until skimottaret said, 'Follow me!' at which point I realised that we had differing ideas on where was 'a little easier'. rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
@Snow&skifan, Thats about right. Don't stiffen up. Nice and flexed and relaxed. Sharp edges are vital. The noise can freak some people out so be prepared to ignore it, it is actually the sound of the skis doing what they are supposed to do! Keep balanced on your outside ski, and keep everything gentle and progressive. Like you would drive on an icy road.

Side-slipping is your friend. So practice this on a more forgiving surface if you know you will likely encounter some ice. Try and side-slip straight down the fall-line with no deviation. Then deliberately try and slide back and then forward a bit to control line.

If it is real ice, avoid turning unless you are very skilled, you will pick up too much speed. In fact just avoid turning at all and figure it out with side-slipping.

Top tip - there are often (always) little mounds of scraped off snow/ice at the edge of the piste. Find those mounds and use them!
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@Snow&skifan, Thats about right. Don't stiffen up. Nice and flexed and relaxed. Sharp edges are vital. The noise can freak some people out so be prepared to ignore it, it is actually the sound of the skis doing what they are supposed to do! Keep balanced on your outside ski, and keep everything gentle and progressive. Like you would drive on an icy road.

Side-slipping is your friend. So practice this on a more forgiving surface if you know you will likely encounter some ice. Try and side-slip straight down the fall-line with no deviation. Then deliberately try and slide back and then forward a bit to control line.

If it is real ice, avoid turning unless you are very skilled, you will pick up too much speed. In fact just avoid turning at all and figure it out with side-slipping.

Top tip - there are often (always) little mounds of scraped off snow/ice at the edge of the piste. Find those mounds and use them!

Cheers, I was told that about the soft stuff.

I’m not ready just yet to follow @Whitegold’s advice … he has too many FIS points for my liking.
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan, I suspect Whitegold has never had FIS points.

When you are racing on ice you usually have more than one pair of skis, you put on a freshly sharpened pair in the starting gate, recreational skiers are unlikely to do this.

I spotted a compete run of "race snow" yesterday and used it for some warmup runs today, by the third one I could feel my edges were not holding as well as they were at first.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
@Snow&skifan, I suspect Whitegold has never had FIS points.

When you are racing on ice you usually have more than one pair of skis, you put on a freshly sharpened pair in the starting gate, recreational skiers are unlikely to do this.

I spotted a compete run of "race snow" yesterday and used it for some warmup runs today, by the third one I could feel my edges were not holding as well as they were at first.

The FIS points comment was meant in the spirit of jocular Snowheads quips Very Happy
ski holidays
To echo advice about finding often swept aside snow at piste edges to keep tight, controlled turns within and keep away from principally "swept" area in centre most part. Had very good advancing tutoring that brought confidence to this some time ago in Sauze D Oulx from a very good Italian instructor.

Also the example of following him....exactly in his tracks with no deviation.....a very good exercise in not ducking out from chosen path. He have me a lot of things I kept practicing over coming years, highly valuable I found.

I'd sharpen edges every day in very icy conditions.

I dont use gummy stone to deburr either, taking the burr off with different method (hard file or abrasive) to leave a more "fractured" edge and no polishing. They have more keen edge like this.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
jedster wrote:
…but he could easily have taken someone out. It's not OK.
You’re absolutely right, it’s not OK. I’ve been taken out in conditions like we’re seeing in the Alps at the moment, by someone who almost certainly was skiing far too fast for the conditions. There are just too many people who are skiing right at the edge of wiping out, as a matter of routine not as a result of the occasional loss of control. They throw their skis sideways at the start of the turn, then desperately try to find some edge grip as they zig zag their way down the slope not in complete control of their speed or their line. I’m sure the comments in this thread about the bloodwagons being on overtime are sadly all too true.

100% accurate based on my experience this week. I’m actually really chuffed at myself as I believe I’ve skied at my best with control and utter regard for the conditions. It’s really made me focus on being safe as a matter of priority. A number of the recent SH threads have definitely got me thinking about skiing more within and not at my limit especially considering some of the conditions.
snow conditions
Saw at least 5 blood wagons today, and a heck of a lot of stupid people. Even one guy who couldnt control himself facetiming WHILE he was trying to ski! I mean WTAF?
snow report
ski3 wrote:

I dont use gummy stone to deburr either, taking the burr off with different method (hard file or abrasive) to leave a more "fractured" edge and no polishing. They have more keen edge like this.

Actually that is the opposite of what you should do to have a strong, sharp and durable edge. Polishing with diamond stones will increase the strength of the edge, and you should knock back the smaller and smaller burrs as you do so. That will leave a clean edge with no weak spots.

Leaving the hanging burr will indeed make the edge feel sharper to the touch, but in reality you have a less sharp and much weaker edge that will make precise skiing impossible.

But I am sure you know best and all the guys who prepare race skis don't know what they are doing.

Everyone else, please don't follow this "advice".
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
Saw at least 5 blood wagons today, and a heck of a lot of stupid people. Even one guy who couldnt control himself facetiming WHILE he was trying to ski! I mean WTAF?

I'm hearing this more this season than ever before. My theory is that resorts don't care on purpose. Blood wagoning and helicoptering injured souls off the mountain must be big business. Travel insurance rates are going skyrocket.
snow report
That's one of the daftest suggestions I've heard in a while.
snow report
Does the ceramic edge speeder tool create a hooked edge, someone told me once that they did.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here in the 4 Vallées I’d say that I see a lot of thin layer of snow on top of ice on north-facing slopes in the shade, below about 1800m. Freeze-thaw earlier in the year and similar last week, plus relatively warm daytime conditions currently, means it’s easy to suddenly transition from late afternoon churn surface onto ice. Above 1800, the conditions are actually relatively good considering the lack of recent snowfall. If you have your own skis, and have not had them serviced recently, I’d recommend doing so, so that you’ve got the sharpest edges possible. Ask locally for advice on what the conditions are like.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 5-02-24 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Avabrunch wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

I'm hearing this more this season than ever before. My theory is that resorts don't care on purpose. Blood wagoning and helicoptering injured souls off the mountain must be big business. Travel insurance rates are going skyrocket.

Are you serious or just having a troll?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 5-02-24 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet Yeah i experienced this today at low level going from les arcs to la plagne and back. Runs back down from la plagne to vanoise express had proper boilerplate in places, Have to know where to turn. Didnt see any blood wagons today but we weren't hanging about. Lots of people on the deck and on pistes beyond their ability. Runs down from grand rochette were great both sides early afternoon.
snow conditions
Extremophile wrote:

This season I have seen an alarming number of people skiing with phones in their hands. Talking on it or videoing with it. Stupid.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

This season I have seen an alarming number of people skiing with phones in their hands. Talking on it or videoing with it. Stupid.

Yes, it seems to be a real problem this year particularly the Facetiming, not noticed it in previous years. No matter how stupid people are, i’m always amazed how much more stupid people are becoming.

Along with the attitude of ‘you have insurance, it will pay if i crash in to you’ like it’s ok to crash in to people, like it’s ok you could end up with life changing injuries because someone else crashed in to you because apparently it’s ok to ski like a total muppet. Let alone the injuries they could do to themselves if they’re the one skiing like a muppet. Seems like a new level of carelessness regarding ones own basic personal safety.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Avabrunch wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Are you serious or just having a troll?

Really just looking at the evidence all around me. European resorts don't police the pistes, there is very little effort to enforce the FIS Rules (maybe just a sign or two), considering it is now a high speed sport there is inadequate crash protection, and they continue to ram as many humans as possible up the hill so there are inevitable comings together coming down the hill. Helicopters have become the new blood wagons and they cost something like £3k per hour whether airborne or not. Services in most resorts are inter-connected by family ties and old school mates. Just how do you keep going the fracture clinic (private), the heli service, the pisteurs, the local quacks etc. Well, not paying much attention to safety is one way. Cynical? Moi?

I complained to a well-known Austrian resort once about the Rodelbahn being particularly dangerous at one turn and it was met with laughter - "Why do you think we park an ambulance at the bottom?" was the gist of it.
snow conditions
Extremophile wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Yes, it seems to be a real problem this year particularly the Facetiming, not noticed it in previous years. No matter how stupid people are, i’m always amazed how much more stupid people are becoming.

Along with the attitude of ‘you have insurance, it will pay if i crash in to you’ like it’s ok to crash in to people, like it’s ok you could end up with life changing injuries because someone else crashed in to you because apparently it’s ok to ski like a total muppet. Let alone the injuries they could do to themselves if they’re the one skiing like a muppet. Seems like a new level of carelessness regarding ones own basic personal safety.

Agreed, never seen it before this season!
Only time I’d ever seen someone on their phone previously was an ESF Instructor with his class skiing down, phone in hand taking a call.
latest report
^^ all that said, people are their own worst enemies. I think there is a brain repository at Gatwick Airport.
snow report
No ice today.

All slush.

Scorching temps in the Alps.

Saw a queen bumblebee at lunch.
snow conditions
I don't know about anywhere else, but the conditions around Chamonix are really pretty good, ok some icy patches here and there but when is that not the case? Don't go up too early and the snow, while spring-like, is very pleasant.

However ... the but is that there are a lot of idiots, going too fast and a lot of inexperience. Oh and hundreds of boarders, mostly early stage Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Services in most resorts are inter-connected by family ties and old school mates. Just how do you keep going the fracture clinic (private), the heli service, the pisteurs, the local quacks etc. Well, not paying much attention to safety is one way. Cynical? Moi?

"Cynical" wouldn't be my description of that theory, @Avabrunch. "Idiotic" might be more appropriate.
ski holidays
I find side slipping an invaluable skill and it has got me out of real merde on a few occasions. Id advise everyone to learn.
Mixed conditions this year have made things tough and you can go from ice, to slush to salty powder in a few hundred yards currently.
Just come back from L2A. It was lovely one minute, but in the next minute quite a test. My legs are still feeling the extra strain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy