Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Climate change in the Alpine Areas of Europe discussion thread

Poster: A snowHead
nunex wrote:
You forgot more CO2 = more green.

I really don't understand this climate change hysteria... plants need CO2 to separate the C from the O2 so we, humans, can live.

Yup, the Earth has +7% more trees than it did 40 years ago.

The world is getting greener.

The world has a +30% food surplus.

Famine has -99% disappeared.

The world has plenty to eat.

The human race is healthier and bigger today in 2024 than at any time in 1 million years of human history.

The UN -- a major world authority on global warming -- predicts a bigger and healthier human population worldwide, soaring to record highs of 10b and 85yo life expectancy by 2100.

It's time to stop the attention-seeking hysteria of a doom-laden death cult on here.

The facts are clear.

More trees, more food, more healthy people.

Global warming is good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Whitegold, ...sometimes it's not funny....

I wouldn't be too inhuman about the fact that you are not one of the communities or species already adversely affected.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/29/mass-death-of-amazonian-dolphins-prompts-fears-for-vulnerable-species#:~:text=Mass%20death%20of%20Amazonian%20dolphins%20prompts%20fears%20for%20vulnerable%20species,-This%20article%20is&text=The%20sudden%20die%2Doff%20of,of%20species%20in%20vulnerable%20areas.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/india-heatwaves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_Greenland

Oh...hang on....USA too

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/05/26/local-impact-of-climate-change-environmental-problems/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose what could happen is that the gulf stream could collapse meaning that we start getting winters akin to those in Canada. UK infrastructure might take a few decades to get up to standard required for such winters, but ski resorts in the Penines, Peak District and Snowdonia might become viable snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Whitegold

Here they are again with the optimistic view that warming will only mean more of everything, not a thought for how the unprecedented temperature rises will affect the complex systems that allow all this 'prosperity' (that for the most part only lucky people in the western world enjoy) to continue. 1.5 degrees of warming doesn't mean more food in Africa, for example. Nor does it signal a massive reforestation of the Am a zon (currently undergoing a severe drought). It doesn't take long to examine the tree claim to find that - oh surprise! - 'tree' is one name covering a rather large family, and in the world of trees and climate all trees are not equal. I'll post a link below.

I've asked multiple times for an explanation of the 'attention seeking' accusation, but nothing has been forthcoming. Most people posting here have never met one and other and have no idea who everyone is. So I think cult is rather the wrong word. I'm sure there are other words that might describe people with a shared viewpoint, but those words don't carry the same abusive connotations that cult does. Hysteria as an insult is of course based on a really, deeply, problematic sexist understanding of human nature. I won't explain here, but I'm sure plenty of people know where the term comes from and its abusive history. Why whitegold chooses to take this abusive route in their posts is anyone's guess.

'Global warming is good' would be a perfect example of an attention seeking line in a post. However, most people have no idea who whitegold is, nor less what motivates their contrarian interventions on this thread and others.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-01-24 18:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/08/planet-earth-has-more-trees-than-it-did-35-years-ago/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Earth is a pretty good planet to live on. Throughout it's millennia of existence it seems to have survived several catastrophic happenings. Maybe this time it'll just swing on it's axis and give us another ice age meaning all of us snowheads become filthy rich because we're the only ones able to get about!

But I doubt it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pavlf, Don't rise to @Whitegold, he's really just a wind up merchant that the moderators seem to allow just for the sake of (poor) comedy. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ben76, yep...so ski touring in the UK would get a lot more interesting.

Our home grown diet, however, would get a lot less interesting.

We are at a lattitude where sun is less intense than the Alps, summer temps would be lower, agricultural and forestry production would be lower.

The social and economic cost of that would be higher than the fun factor of some enhanced sliding. In my view.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gixxerniknik, I know! But that kind of thing is like a red rag for me I'm afraid! Maybe whitegold is a rogue AI programme developed by oil magnates to attack electric car owners, but it's gone wrong and now ridicules one set of skiers about warming at the same time as vaunting its benefits to another.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pavlf, I think he's in the pay of SCGB to wind up users of this site in the hope they defect!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pavlf wrote:
@Whitegold

Here they are again with the optimistic view that warming will only mean more of everything, not a thought for how the unprecedented temperature rises will affect the complex systems that allow all this 'prosperity' (that for the most part only lucky people in the western world enjoy) to continue. 1.5 degrees of warming doesn't mean more food in Africa, for example. Nor does it signal a massive reforestation of the Am a zon (currently undergoing a severe drought). It doesn't take long to examine the tree claim to find that - oh surprise! - 'tree' is one name covering a rather large family, and in the world of trees and climate all trees are not equal. I'll post a link below.

I've asked multiple times for an explanation of the 'attention seeking' accusation, but nothing has been forthcoming. Most people posting here have never met one and other and have no idea who everyone is. So I think cult is rather the wrong word. I'm sure there are other words that might describe people with a shared viewpoint, but those words don't carry the same abusive connotations that cult does. Hysteria as an insult is of course based on a really, deeply, problematic sexist understanding of human nature. I won't explain here, but I'm sure plenty of people know where the term comes from and its abusive history. Why whitegold chooses to take this abusive route in their posts is anyone's guess.

'Global warming is good' would be a perfect example of an attention seeking line in a post. However, most people have no idea who whitegold is, nor less what motivates their contrarian interventions on this thread and others.

Deniers full into two main categories, the truly ignorant and the willfully ignorant.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We are at a lattitude where sun is less intense than the Alps, summer temps would be lower, agricultural and forestry production would be lower.

The social and economic cost of that would be higher than the fun factor of some enhanced sliding. In my view.

Yeh, the change in summer climate could be an issue. But no problem, it's not as if we've just self-imposed costly barriers on imports of produce from sunnier parts of the continent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ben76, ..yes, exactly…oh well, times have changed politically and may well change again…
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/4S9sDyooxf4

TL;DR
we need more air pollution

TL;DR2
Economied will collapse within 20 years
Billions will migrate to Europe but they won't be coming to wipe your OAP bottom
The standard of living in European countries will plumet
Pensions won't get paid
You'll starve or be killed in a war
It's going to be like the black death on steroids
ski holidays
https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/68151487.amp
Thoughtful piece by Chemmy Alcott.
ski holidays
Thanks for posting that. It is really thoughtful, and I think honest too. A rather difficult reappraisal is due for all of us, particularly regards travel (flying especially).

Here's a good twitter thread, not necessarily about skiing, but about AGW and the difficult thoughts we need to think

https://x.com/kalahar1/status/1690760307172372481?s=20
ski holidays
LOL like we have a right to have unchanging weather. Blame anything to divert money.
latest report
No one has mentioned rights, nor things remaining static. If the pipes burst in your house, would you turn off the water at the mains or would you say "LOL like we have a right to non-leaking pipes. Blame anything to divert money" and allow the house to flood? In the case of planetary warming we know how to turn the tap off. It's just that some people would really rather not because they are making a poo-poo load of money and seem not to care about the people who come next. As far as I can tell I think they expect money to insulate them from the worst effects. However, as someone pointed out, what use is money if things really do go wrong. Apparently one of the questions the super rich ask most regularly is about how they will maintain discipline in their compounds if society collapses. Why would your security people carry on taking orders for example? Anyway, there's unlikely to be any skiing in that kind of future.
snow report
Black cocks are out in winter doing mating rituals

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/X4AJ2ggjmT8
latest report
@davidof, Laughing
latest report
pavlf wrote:
No one has mentioned rights, nor things remaining static. If the pipes burst in your house, would you turn off the water at the mains or would you say "LOL like we have a right to non-leaking pipes. Blame anything to divert money" and allow the house to flood? In the case of planetary warming we know how to turn the tap off. It's just that some people would really rather not because they are making a poo-poo load of money and seem not to care about the people who come next. As far as I can tell I think they expect money to insulate them from the worst effects. However, as someone pointed out, what use is money if things really do go wrong. Apparently one of the questions the super rich ask most regularly is about how they will maintain discipline in their compounds if society collapses. Why would your security people carry on taking orders for example? Anyway, there's unlikely to be any skiing in that kind of future.

LOL indoctrinated in school.

Have a think of why we have religion. To control people. Have a think why there is the thought that people have freedom choice. To control people.
Put it quite simple, the tree hugging of the world are mostly pacifists. There is a difference in fighting what you believe & hugging a tree compared to fighting what you believe in & actually fight.
latest report
LOL
Cant predict next weeks weather, but somehow can predict the next 20 years.
Do yourselves a favour & stop listening to mainstream media…
snow report
Gored wrote:
LOL

Do yourself a favour and learn the difference between weather and climate.
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
LOL

Well aware of the difference, If they cant predict the short term, then why so much faith in their long term predictions?
Do yourself a favour & think for yourself.
snow report
Gored wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
LOL

Well aware of the difference, If they cant predict the short term, then why so much faith in their long term predictions?

Oh dear, you dont understand the difference because if you did you’d understand with 8 of the warmest years ever recorded in the last 10, you can see the trend is towards a warming planet. Unpredictable weather is a symptom of a warming climate.
snow conditions
@Gored It's great to have a genuine freethinker posting such revealing comments. The rest of us really are mired in the MSM and the folly of information and education. I can't speak for anyone else, but the tree-hugger argument - destined to become a classic of its genre - has completely changed my mind about everything.

LOL
ski holidays
@pavlf, ,tree hugger?….to be quite honest I resent trees. Sharks were around well before trees. And the trees are way more numerous now than sharks. They have taken over the natural world. More sharks. Re-shark the world.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, bring back the sharks, especially the glacial sharks! Not so keen on the ones lurking off-piste though. I completely knackered a new pair of skis on one of those on the second day out.

I wonder if warming temps have resulted in an increase in ski catastrophes?
snow report
@pavlf, ouch - yep - I think it has

my favourite shark fin

https://www.camptocamp.org/waypoints/37561/fr/trubelstock#swipe-gallery

just about 3000m
tricker climb than it might seem
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
LOL

Oh dear, you dont understand the difference because if you did you’d understand with 8 of the warmest years ever recorded in the last 10, you can see the trend is towards a warming planet. Unpredictable weather is a symptom of a warming climate.

8 out of 10 years rolling eyes
You count in years, others will count in decades, centuries & millennials.
How come during covid with most of the western world shutdown industry, flights, cars driving, etc. did not make any difference to your rising temperatures? Not even stagnate.
You are being conned into funding conmen.
You are being conned into paying more taxes into a green levy that is not needed.
In 2023, China built more than 50gigawatt worth of new coal powered energy stations.
That is more power than the whole of the UK produces.
That is power used to produce steel for wind turbines while our steel producing sites close.
Produce solar panels that we readily buy up.
Cant you see the con? We are cutting nothing. It is just being moved - out of sight, out of mind.
Feel good about yourself by reducing your little footprint. Go celebrate by buying something made in china, manufactured somewhere powered by coal & shipped to the UK on a diesel powered boat.
ski holidays
For those genuinely interested:

https://interactive.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-profile-china/
snow conditions
Meanwhile. For all "climate skeptics" this YouTube channel got you covered: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL82yk73N8eoX-Xobr_TfHsWPfAIyI7VAP&si=2xnuWpwXe-cLz1gv

It goes through all the "arguments" against man made climate change including:
- more CO2 is good for growth (it's not, depends on level and other factors such as water and soil)
- we don't have enough data (we do)
- Earth was hotter in the past and the life boomed (life was booming in a very specific areas, otherwise desert)
snow report
And some clown wants to build a sun shade in space the size of argentina

The fearful will fund anything.
Like paying a carbon offset makes any difference to your flight, except making you poorer. Nigerians gutted they didnt come up With that one.
snow report
Layne wrote:
For those genuinely interested:

https://interactive.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-profile-china/

LOL
Per capita.
What will it be when all chinese are used to western comforts. It is only going to grow.
Should mr chin take it on his name that his co2 footprint is counted against him and not manufacturing so china can sell to the globe?
Mr Chin doesnt benefit - maybe he can setup a crypo currency and sell his co2 so you can offset yours.

Global co2 isnt going to fall. There is a larger land mass of developing & 3rd world countries that want the luxuries the west has.
Another liberals race to the bottom.
ski holidays
I’m glad that @Gored, has admitted on this thread what his true feeling are.

He knows climate change is real, but he doesn’t care what comes to the next generation so long as he can keep consuming, and not have to spend too much of the money he earns on student digs in Swansea.
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
8 out of 10 years rolling eyes
You count in years, others will count in decades, centuries & millennials.

Millennials? Laughing

Often see this one trotted out by 'sceptics'. We should do nothing and wait a hundred years (or more) so we have better data. By which time it'll be too late.

Gored wrote:
How come during covid with most of the western world shutdown industry, flights, cars driving, etc. did not make any difference to your rising temperatures? Not even stagnate.

Because, as I'm sure you know, a certain level of warming is already assured due to past emissions. If the world stopped emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow we would not see immediate changes.

Gored wrote:
We are cutting nothing. It is just being moved - out of sight, out of mind.

The only valid point I think I've seen you allude to in your various ramblings on the subject. People do need to be very mindful that carbon reduced in one area is not simply being replaced/moved elsewhere. There's a lot of very disingenuous companies out there who love a bit of greenwashing. But, I think, more and more people are switching on to where things they buy come from and how they are made and making more intelligent buying choices as a result.
latest report
I wrote a lengthy response but what's the point.

Did anyone see the massive hot plume modelled by the GFS last night? It's gone now, but that it was modelled at all is surely a wakeup call. In the Alps it's no longer a question of will there be any snow early in the season, it's will there be snow below 2000 meters at any time, and if there is, will it stay. The Scottish mountains now seem to have sub-1980s Lake District winters. Unfortunately Gored is more than half right, the business as usual but selling us different products model is something of a con trick.
snow report
Gored wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
LOL

Are you really doubting the changing climate or you just don’t care/dont think your actions make any difference?
ski holidays
@SKia Optima, On the nail

@Gored, I'm leaning towards thinking your heart is in the right place but I worry about where the information for your head is coming from.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy