Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo intermediate skier looking for a Feb/Mar trip to Austria or Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone!

Aussie male, early 30s, intermediate skier (happy on reds, can get down blacks but don't enjoy them, not that confident off-piste).

Have done Niseko & Whistler with friends in my 20s, but now keen to get out into the European Alps as I've just moved to London for 2 years.

Had been planning for Austria or Italy, around late Feb or early March, but sadly not had any interest from friends.

So now thinking of going out solo and trying to find people to ski with in-resort, but not had much luck in researching which resorts would be easier for that. If anyone's done that before or got recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Or if anyone's looking to do something similar or got a group I might be able to join it would be great to ski together with some friendly snowhounds!

(I did find a few organised group-tours for solo skiers, but many seem to be restricted to 55+ age groups or strongly implied that they cater for the older demographics only.)

Anyway, hope to see some of you on the slopes somewhere soon!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@YoteiSunset, welcome to Snowheads!

There are a couple of ways to find people to ski with, one of which you've already found by posting here. It helps if you can narrow down the options and target a small number of resorts, and even more so if you have an offer for accommodation and are simply looking for people to fill the places before confirming it. The larger the resort, the more chance you have of finding others in the same boat.

The alternative possibilities are to find a Facebook group for the resorts of your choice (many have them for regular visitors or people interested in going there) and ask if anyone is around for your chosen dates who'd be interested in meeting up, or to simply go there and then chat to people in the most active bar you can find. Start with the staff if you can - they know who's around for the season and may want some company or enjoy showing new people around, and they also know who else is on their own. They may also be happy to join you, as staff rotas mean that their day off might leave them with great snow but no mates to play with.

On a previous solo trip I almost literally bumped into a group of people on the hill, exchanged some banter with them, and was invited to join them for the rest of the day and early evening. That's pretty unusual, but not impossible.

The whole of February is peak season, and peak prices. March will be cheaper until the Easter weeks, so first 2-3 weeks may be a lower price.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@YoteiSunset, what about the Gnarlibug?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@YoteiSunset, the facebook groups 'Billy Snow Mates' and 'Solo Skiers UK' might be of interest / help to you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @ousekjarr for the welcome and solid advice! Chatting to staff and finding locals is a great tip! I'll also check out those Facebook groups @Mr Blue Sky.

Bumping into people on the hill can happen if you're lucky. Actually sort of had this when in Whistler with 3 mates, just started with something like "mind if we jump in" to share a gondola on our first morning. Started chatting (because we recognised accents) to 3 kiwis on their last day, they told us a few of their favourite spots they were headed to, then said if we wanted to go the same way we could follow along. Did a couple of runs with them, was good fun!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Ok this looks pretty good actually, but might be a bit too gnarly for me!
I somehow missed this and the entire events section (I don't think they showed up before I registered an account), so thanks for sharing that!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@YoteiSunset, that's correct - large parts of the forum are only visible to registered members, including the events section.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@YoteiSunset, also you are still lucky enough to be of an age when you could really make the most of
UCPA : https://www.ucpa.co.uk/ - if you are happy to share rooms, hostel style, they have lots of options and seems very sociable
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually UCPA wasn’t a good recommendation as it doesn’t fit your requirements for Austria and Italy, it’s all based in the French Alps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
YoteiSunset wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I somehow missed this and the entire events section (I don't think they showed up before I registered an account), so thanks for sharing that!!

I've not been on that bash but I've considered it a couple of times. I'm assured it's only as gnarly as you want it to be.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
YoteiSunset wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I've not been on that bash but I've considered it a couple of times. I'm assured it's only as gnarly as you want it to be.

@YoteiSunset, from your description of your skiing, it sounds perfect. You don't need to go off piste if you don't want to.
I went to this bash a couple of years ago as my first trip back after breaking my arm/shoulder/ribs a couple of months earlier, so was very hesitant, but had a fabulous week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Actually UCPA wasn’t a good recommendation as it doesn’t fit your requirements for Austria and Italy, it’s all based in the French Alps.
That was mainly influenced by my new boss at work who told me to avoid Switzerland and France. Switzerland because it's stupidly expensive and the French resorts he said are the most crowded in Europe and "probably overrun by obnoxious British snowboarders" I think were his words!

As I research a bit more myself though, I'm thinking the French Alps will be an ok choice too Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tazz2bme wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

@YoteiSunset, from your description of your skiing, it sounds perfect. You don't need to go off piste if you don't want to.
I went to this bash a couple of years ago as my first trip back after breaking my arm/shoulder/ribs a couple of months earlier, so was very hesitant, but had a fabulous week.

Thanks both, that's reassuring! My biggest concern for that one was if I'd be joining a group of off-piste experts, I'd feel bad if I was the new guy slowing everyone else down etc.

@Tazz2bme, Ouch!! Great to hear you got back out there so soon after. Hope you've made a full recovery!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="YoteiSunset"]
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
the French resorts he said are the most crowded in Europe and "probably overrun by obnoxious British snowboarders"

Very Happy

That's not my experience of the French alps, I've enjoyed all my ski trips there and always felt there was plenty of room and I've never had my trips spoiled by others behaviours (long may it continue!). Just wish i'd been aware of UCPA about 20 years ago when skiing seemed to me to be very inaccessible and only for the privileged. I would have been young enough to make the most of it and at a stage in my life when sharing rooms was still something I could do Very Happy . I think they've done great things in terms of making ski more accessible, they get subsidies from the French state I believe which makes it work.

I do have to agree about Switzerland though, i've only been once to ski (and another time for general tourism) and it certainly isn't cheap, there may be cheaper ways of doing it but I'm not really motivated to search.

Andorra is worth investigating too. Been once and couldn't believe how cheap things were. Beer was about 2 euros for a pint if I recall. Not sure about any organised trips for solo holidays there though other than an outfit called soloholidays but that is one of those ones where the age demographic is generally 50+.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

My biggest concern for that one was if I'd be joining a group of off-piste experts

@YoteiSunset, absolutely not! So long as your profile settings give an accurate indication of how you ski, you would be placed with similar snowHead s to yourself
There is a button for sticking to the pistes, or mainly to the piste. If you select your preference you will find yourself where you want to be Very Happy
snow conditions
Hey @YoteiSunset – I'm an intermediate skier and looking to make a solo trip too (seems like we have a similar profile tbh). I've always skied with friends and family (France mostly) but no joy this year. As you get into 30s it seems much harder to book trips with friends. Anyways, I'm looking at a trip to Austria at the beginning of March – using public transport from Munich/Innsbruck or Salzburg, though can be open. Would be great to connect if you're still looking or hear if you've picked up any hints or tips.
latest report
We have space in an apartment in Cervinia on 17th March. We're flying into Turin.

Apartment sleeps up to 6, but has 5 beds. Only 2 of us going. Full post is now on about page 3 regarding this.
ski holidays
Hey @YoteiSunset, I'm a beginner but looking for a similar trip, end of Feb/ Early March, in Austria or Italy. Early 30s, female, from Dublin.

I'm looking for a small group to chill with and ski, but realistically I will be doing lessons.

If you have any luck finding a group that's a good fit, I would be interested in joining too if possible Smile
snow report
@YoteiSunset, @bowesyboy, @nimmmc,

Also solo intermediate skier looking for a group to tag along with or set-up. Wouldn't be able to do end of Feb but any date from 8th March is good. Is this of any use to you? Not overly bothered where, have done La Plagne (cater chalet) and Cervinia (catered hotel) and loved both.
snow conditions
Injured mate has just pulled out of trip to France. I've got flights to Grenoble 10th to 16th March for Alpe d'Huez (1850-3300m, great variety of runs). Looking for group or other solo skier for trip. I'm 62, my off- Cool piste days are behind me, but I will do most slopes in good conditions. I enjoy a beer or 2 but not getting smashed every night. Happy with les Deux Alpes, Plagne/Arc, Trois Vallees, even Tignes/VD.
Mark
ski holidays
@markjbrown, another solo skier. I've been looking at the same week but haven't found anything yet. Not sure from your post if you have accommodation booked and looking to share or still searching for somewhere? I'm of a similar age and sound like similar ability. Drop me a PM To make contact?
snow report
Hey everyone,
We've got 2 space left for our St. Anton Trip

10th- 17th Feb
Chalet Gabl, 10 min walk or 1 bus stop far to the lifts.

Fully catered. Breakfast, snacks and 3 course dinner with drinks and wine.

All rooms en-suites twin or double bed.

We are an international group mostly living in London in our early 30s, 40s

£1050 for 7 nights of £170 for each night. Flexible on dates

Drop me a message and I send you all the details. We've got very mix of snowboarders and skiers from all levels in our group.

Ciao
latest report
kavehh wrote:
Hey everyone,
We've got 2 space left for our St. Anton Trip

10th- 17th Feb
Chalet Gabl, 10 min walk or 1 bus stop far to the lifts.

Fully catered. Breakfast, snacks and 3 course dinner with drinks and wine.

All rooms en-suites twin or double bed.

We are an international group mostly living in London in our early 30s, 40s

£1050 for 7 nights of £170 for each night. Flexible on dates

Drop me a message and I send you all the details. We've got very mix of snowboarders and skiers from all levels in our group.

Ciao

Is that with or without flights and transfers?
latest report
@stevew, Without. Chose an expensive week I guess. Flights from London around £250 and Transfer by train 50 to 100 euro

Seems like it's snowing next sat. Just saying Smile
snow report
@kavehh, thanks, I'll keep this on my list for the time being.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for not responding sooner (had a crazy few weeks at work)

So I actually ended up taking a quick & easy option with Cold Fusion Holidays to Cervinia in March, but they have unbelievably cancelled the trip, so I'm back to looking again!!

@kavehh, thanks for that offer with the St. Anton chalet, sounds great actually, but unfortunately can't do Feb at all now Sad

@nimmmc, @jsummers93, mid-March is really all I can do now, so maybe we could get something sorted for then (if you haven't already?)
snow report
@YoteiSunset have you found a trip? I'm keen to go away mid-march somewhere (intermediate boarder here)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy