Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EMI (Electronic Magnetic Interferrence) and Transceivers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting set of tests to assess various commonly carried electronic devices and the impact of them on sending/receiving transceivers:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_EU/stories/qc-lab-beacon-interference/

Summary of results - for the best chance of being found or successfully searching for someone, don’t wear a smart ring, heated gloves and sit on a snowmobile Shocked

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PowderAdict, also worth noting UIAA issued a position statement on this issue last month : https://www.theuiaa.org/electromagnetic-interference-in-avalanche-transceivers/

Definitely worth reading and noting
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some very good documentation there, with the same 20/50 rule highlighted. I hadn’t seen the detailed analysis presented on the BD site before, usually its just keep active electronic devices away from transceivers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PowderAdict wrote:
... usually its just keep active electronic devices away from transceivers.

^ Yup.....
EMI emissions will never be consistent between devices.
For example : One smart phone (or head-cam) might have minimal emissions in the 457KHz band while another brand is particularly noisy.
Similarly receiving a call or SMS will inevitably temporarily increase interference.

The 20cm / 50cm rule is a good start point

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What are electronic airbags emitting?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends on the model. Black Diamond and Pieps have electronic triggering from the handle, so there must be a residual current however small. All battery airbags have status LED’s which flash/pulse, so gain a small signal, and obviously they all discharge power when triggered, some of which continue for 2-3mins as they pulse inflate/deflate.

The transceiver standards were developed in an era where there weren’t any other electronic devices being carried by the users. Maybe it’s time for a new standard.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

Maybe it’s time for a new standard.

New post Thu 11 Jan, 24
08:02 Reply with quote

Hmmm, quite!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

Maybe it’s time for a new standard.

Hmmm, quite!!

Not sure that will ever happen given the number of devices now in circulation and requirements for backward compatibility.

The original standard (2.2khz) was superseded by 457khz in 1986 then updated again, to give specifications on battery life etc, in 2007.

Part of the problem is you can't easily legislate for other devices spewing EMI emissions into band dedicated for avalanche beacons. Digitally coded pulses could be more reliable but never perfect. My neighbour is an amateur radio ham. If he turns mast on then it's impossible to practise with beacon in the garden.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some modern transceivers detect crosstalk type interference. I was waiting for fog to clear the other day whilst using a laptop on my lap. Eventually by brain registered that my pocket was beeping... my Arva5 was stowed in my pocket and was whining about the interference.

A cylinder airbag with Carbon cylinder has zero electronics and little metal. I've not noticed issues with LiTRIC type airbags: there's not a lot of metal and not a lot of power there.

Quote:
..receiving a call or SMS will inevitably temporarily increase interference.
Radio "registration traffic" also exists even when you're not actually active. The thing has to find out which base station(s) to register with. So best to turn it off or put it in airplane mode.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
It depends on the model. Black Diamond and Pieps have electronic triggering from the handle, so there must be a residual current however small. All battery airbags have status LED’s which flash/pulse, so gain a small signal, and obviously they all discharge power when triggered, some of which continue for 2-3mins as they pulse inflate/deflate.

The transceiver standards were developed in an era where there weren’t any other electronic devices being carried by the users. Maybe it’s time for a new standard.

The UIAA Safety Commission has a working group that is in the process of writing one but it's a pretty meaty subject.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy