Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lift pass pricing

Poster: A snowHead
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
Not a huge base set for me to look at, as I've only done one European ski trip. But on a 30 day trip to France last year, we skied a low of 49km, to a high of 113km per day. The average came out to 74km/day.

Having said that, I'm not sure we would qualify as "average ski tourists". We live in Banff, and ski many more days per winter than the average skier I think. Then again, we were tourists on that trip, so if you're looking to average out what people do on a ski trip...

113km!!!!!!!!!

That seems very high
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
@Mike Pow, this is interesting as I've no idea about km because (if we track anything) we track vertical over here, not distance. I don't recall seeing distance specs like for the Alps. Regardless of locale, the lift system has a lot to do with what all of us rack up. Years ago Jackson Hole would give you a lapel pin if you skied 100,000 vertical feet in a week. We did it in four days (must've been cruising) and they sort of didn't believe us. Now, with high speed lifts, you can do 10,000 vert in an hour if you want. Distance measurement might be more meaningful in the Alps, because the interconnectedness of the lift systems makes long distances possible, which also affords the chance at big numbers to get attention.

I evaluate where I want to go with a hard look at the lift system, so that if Mother Nature deals us cruising and nothing else, we can still get that done properly. I seek high speed lifts, ideally chairs, with big vert. If they have that, the length sort of takes care of itself, doesn't it?

That guy who measures piste length seems to have carved out a decent little niche for himself, though I've always thought it was mostly marketing.

All that said, for me it is about quality not quantity anyway.

Thanks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val d'Isere has broken the mold.

A 6 day pass gives you 7 seventh day free, but this is of no use to most, and the pass is €396

A one day pass is €66

you can recharge you pass each morning if you wish, using the app. If it is an awful day and you don't fancy it the you save
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
Not a huge base set for me to look at, as I've only done one European ski trip. But on a 30 day trip to France last year, we skied a low of 49km, to a high of 113km per day. The average came out to 74km/day.

Wondering if we are measuring different things here. Of the 52 days I have on record the highest daily skiing distance figure I can find is 52.3km. That is a reasonable strong group (Paradiski) and a 7.5 hour day including a max 1 hour lunch. For reference the vert was 8407m. 113km seems impossible to me Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter and family got 7 days for the price of 6 in Les Saisies at Christmas. As they'd planned to ski the final Saturday morning and leave late afternoon to miss the worst of the traffic down the hill, that worked very well. Given that changeover days are usually fairly quiet (though that one was quite busy) it's a good wheeze. 6 days is 238.50 euros.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Frosty the Snowman, €369 for 6 days in La Plagne.... One day is €70. Special offers for weekend days as low as €40
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
TOLOCOMAN wrote:

Wondering if we are measuring different things here. Of the 52 days I have on record the highest daily skiing distance figure I can find is 52.3km. That is a reasonable strong group (Paradiski) and a 7.5 hour day including a max 1 hour lunch. For reference the vert was 8407m. 113km seems impossible to me Puzzled

Don't know. I'm sure different devices measure differently. That day was a completely groomer day and skied open to close, lunch on the chair. We did just over 15000m of vert.

Another reason measuring vertical is better than distance I guess.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just done first lift to last lift non stop in 3v … 91km and 15642m of elevation.
Hard to do much more … I’m Be Nice please! !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve never seen the point of trying to equate fun to distance. IMO a skiing holiday is great value compared to any other type of holiday. When I see tv advertising for Summer holidays I always think I get much better value by skiing. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gordyjh, IMHO the purpose of a holiday is simply to do something you enjoy for at least some part of the year and I've had some great summer holidays

I've just booked a package trip with Jet2 for a week in Kalymnos for rock climbing (the flight and hotel was less expensive than doing independently). I'll come back absolutely shattered, even more so than skiing, which is great. In terms of value for money it is, for me, much better than skiing. But I love skiing and don't do it on a simple smiles per pound basis. In the past I've done watersports holidays with Neilson's which I've really enjoyed and they have cost a lot more than skiing holidays. Not all summer holidays are bad value. In fact I've haven't come back from one thinking "that was a waste of money".

Mind you, when people tell me they what they want to do on holiday is sit by a pool and read books I think I can save a lot of money by turning the central heating up and sitting in my own living room in my pants reading a book. Toofy Grin Or even fill the bath up and put a deckchair in the bath room.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can see why Sunweb and other TOs who bundle passes with accommodation are attractive to many - price of lift pass built into the main holiday cost, takes the sting out of it somewhat, even if it’s not clear if there’s a financial benefit or not.

Just looked and the ADH full pass for a family works out at about £170ea - we paid less than £400ea for our accommodation for Easter so for arguments sake, the digs were £220 each for the week if Sunweb hadn’t worked a discount with the lift company.

Not sure how many large domains are available for £170 for a week’s skiing but that’s great value IMO. Okay, as beginners we didn’t get full use of the domain but for approx £29 per day, I’m happy with that price.

Just looked at La Pagne and the same ‘family’ package doesn’t appear to offer a discount, so it’s roughly £245pp for approximately the same amount of skiing….. that’s a big chunk extra and that’s not even the most expensive resort. Once you go above £300 for a 6-day lift pass then costs start to balloon and it could beg the question of whether it’s better (as beginners) to go to cheaper, smaller resorts if you’re only going to do <50% of the runs
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Specialman, tourist information and local agencies often have discounts too. Last week I got 7 days through the agency for 392 Euro as opposed to 433 normal price (3V).

I've often priced up Sunweb/Snowtrex deals and never found them to be any cheaper than through tourist/agency website. They are certainly a good accessible one stop shop though.

ADH is pretty big - not Paradiski/3V/Killy for sure but plenty big enough. But I agree smaller resorts can be great vfm for beginners and families. We did a week in La Norma once for example.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, I’m happy for you, I’m just saying that I think my skiing holiday is great value. I get more pleasure out of it than any other holiday I’ve tried & it’s not noticeably more expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gordyjh wrote:
....I get more pleasure out of it than any other holiday I’ve tried & it’s not noticeably more expensive.

I was trying to equate if skiing is expensive or if I'm just a tightwad.

I think it's both ... just not sure in what ratio Very Happy

I go on cycling trips each year (once or twice) and typically, it ends up costing £700-800 for a 4 or 5 day trip. The pleasure and satisfaction I get is immeasurable because I'm A) cycling with my mates, and B) usually cycling new, often legendary routes. It's all about the most climbs, the biggest climbs, getting in the most miles, seeing as many places as I can.

I'm not in the same mindset with snowsports; I took something of a sabbatical from it for 6yrs (for various reasons) and the main motivation is kind of just to enjoy something (the snow) that I can't do at all at home. Mileage wasn't even on my radar for the trip we just did - it was all about learning to ski (I snowboarded previously) - and watching the kids learn with us, as they'd never been on a ski holiday. I think I did 100km in that whole week, probably peanuts to some, but absolutely loved it. A lifetime of memories created and a love for snowsports re-kindled. The entire trip came in at just over £3000 so even though that's a LOT of money to me, it was a special holiday that I could justify and the memories are priceless.

However, that trip has now set the benchmark for my inner tightwad; can we do a Christmas trip for the same money? I'm hoping we can but I'm starting to ready myself to be disappointed. But it may be a case of tightening belts here in the UK through the coming months and also justifying any extra spend because skiing is damn unique and enjoyable as a form of holiday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It’s easy to compare costs and days. It’s nearly impossible to compare enjoyment.
ski holidays
The last day we were skiing - Saturday just gone - getting the lift out of Les Menuires in the morning we saw at the bottom of the slalom slope older juniors competing/racing on a small cross country ski circuit. Most of it was downhill with sharpest turns followed by a short traverse and a bit of uphill. It was quite fascinating, and I have to say, a little amusing. Their skis are like matchsticks and it looked more like a fight to stay upright more than anything. Anyhow, my 18yo son, who to be fair is a little belligerent and close minded, asked "what is the fun in that?" and "why would anyone do that". When we returned later in the afternoon they had a medal ceremony and then they all trooped away. They had a lot of gear and there seemed to be a certain look.

Also, I once sat opposite a guy at work who asked me didn't I ever get bored skiing all day, every day, for a week. It was a fair question, of which the answer was pretty much never. But it was hard to explain why.

Anyway, it struck me as these are pertinent anecdotes to the discussion above.
snow conditions
Quote:

Also, I once sat opposite a guy at work who asked me didn't I ever get bored skiing all day, every day, for a week.

Much like "do you get bored watching TV every evening for a week?"
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
who asked me didn't I ever get bored skiing all day, every day, for a week.

What does he do for holiday? go all inclusive & sit by the pool all day, every day?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy