Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EES - Schengen clock reset?

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like October this year(!) is the start date for EES which will see the end of passport stamps. I was pondering, as you do, what’ll happen to your Schengen 90-in-180 clock, as they’ll then be monitoring your entries/exits electronically and keeping a record that way. I know that (as now) they could take your passport and add up all the stamped days then add them to your electronic record, but that seems highly unlikely - so I wonder if in effect the clock will start again after 6/10?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you believe that they wouldn’t currently count up your stamps then you effectively believe there is no 90/180 rule at all.

Indeed… if you had two passports concurrently would they even be able to notice?

I wouldn’t fancy having to count the stamps in somebody’s passport; it’s not something they’d do routinely is it!

On another matter, I’m delighted that untidy border staff will no longer be able to fill my passport with three stamps on a page that has space for eight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@James the Last, no, exactly - but you do hear of people who get caught via stamps - though I suspect it’s folk who go for a long trip rather than lots of short ones so the date of entry would be more obvious.

My mate did have a worrying moment at Schipol in late 2020 - obviously we hadn’t been travelling much since we left the single market (covid etc) so his passport was fairly empty of stamps. They didn’t stamp it on arrival into Schipol - so when we came home the chap said he could have been there since before 31 Jan - thankfully he still had his boarding pass for the outbound flight so was sorted fairly easily.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ETIAS comes in 6 months after EES, so presumably they'll monitor the 90/180 rule electronically then as they won't need to count stamps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HilbertSpace, EES is what replaces stamps - ETIAS is the visa waiver thingy - once you’ve had your eyes and fingers done EES will mean no more stamps.

Interesting article in the Times today with Border Force saying they’re going to have swizzy new e-gates that won’t even need you to get your passport out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I fly into GVA the border official always scans my passport, as well as stamping it. I assumed that they can electronically read the code strip and so can automate any Schengen checking. i.e. they already can and do record entry and exit details for Schengen. Or is this just for Swiss national checks, as opposed to EU ones?

So when they pull people up for a missing entry/exit stamp, aren't they actually referring to their screen and it's the computer that's flagging an anomaly? THey then point to the missing stamp and ask you to explain. But it's not the stamp that has alerted them, it's the computer?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 1-01-24 15:01; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LaForet, pretty sure French police natio ale at Eurotunnel also scan as well as stamp.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They scan and I assume they’ll have a record of CH entry/exit (though I think it’s more to do with criminal record checks etc), but the various Schengen sysyems don’t talk to each other yet (hence delays to EES) so stamps are the only way they have of recording cross-Schengen entry/exit.

But there isn’t, until EES starts, a central record of entry/exit to other Schengen countries. And they certainly don’t have an electronic record of entry to NED as Schipol needed a boarding pass as proof of entry.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The 'scanning' is simply an Ultra Violet light to check it is a legitimate passport, - was featured on a TV programme recently. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001s8qd
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So is Switzerland part of the EES/ETIAS system for the EU, then?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowornever, yes - CH is a Schengen border. https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen/einreise/ees.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy from embsay wrote:
@snowornever, yes - CH is a Schengen border. https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen/einreise/ees.html

I ask because of the huge queues at the French/Swiss border at Geneva) encountered where the swiss seemed keen on checking coachloads of people!
So I assumed that having entered via GVA, if that was where the Schengen border was, why were they checking again between CHF and FR? (apart from the usual bureaucratic urge to cause chaos?)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowornever, was this recent? I’ve never seen passports being checked at Bardonnex (the motorway border) - only time (other than rush hour) I’ve seen any real queues was one evening when the French were breath testing everyone.

But yes - Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway are all in Schengen but not the EU.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought they already manage it via a computer system. My passport is usually swiped before getting stamped.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowornever wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

I ask because of the huge queues at the French/Swiss border at Geneva) encountered where the swiss seemed keen on checking coachloads of people!
So I assumed that having entered via GVA, if that was where the Schengen border was, why were they checking again between CHF and FR? (apart from the usual bureaucratic urge to cause chaos?)

last winter experience was a couple of years ago, april after the eosb, luckily our taxi was not caught in it. maybe it was a special security op?
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
snowornever wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

last winter experience was a couple of years ago, april after the eosb, luckily our taxi was not caught in it. maybe it was a special security op?

Covid checks?
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
@James the Last, no, exactly - but you do hear of people who get caught via stamps - though I suspect it’s folk who go for a long trip rather than lots of short ones so the date of entry would be more obvious.

I was well under 90 days in the last 180, but I had my whole passport gone through by a diligent immigration officer in Helsinki earlier in the year. I had lots of short trips so it took a while! She seemed quite shocked that I didn't know exactly how many days I was up to (I guessed around 30-40) and told me I should be tracking this with an app.

It's only ever happened once though.

I also had a mistake made by Switzerland one time when they didn't stamp me in - luckily it was about a year prior to the Helsinki inspection. The border guard that time was confused, but ended up just shrugging and stamping me out.
ski holidays
@musehead, I do keep an eye on it with an app - I rarely get below 40 days left.
latest report
I track with an app. Managing OK with 90/180 even though I barely seem to be at home
snow conditions
None of this will matter so much to me, as I'm unlikely to be spending more than 30 days in schengen zone annually, but I'm sure I read somewhere about part days counting as whole days once you left. Might be something to be aware of and check if your going to go to max out your entitlement.
snow conditions
@thecramps, any time spent in a day is a day
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@thecramps, any time spent in a day is a day

Yep. If you arrive at 2359 and leave 2 minutes later that’s 2 days!
ski holidays
Boy has worked out when he gets home after ski season he’ll be on 90 days. Hope he’s counted correctly!!!

Wish he’d sort out the Norway Visa he’s applied for ( but needs to go for interview) as that would discount all the time there.
ski holidays
My passport shows me being in the EU for about 98% of the last 2.5 years yet no one ever checks when I travel in and out. I’m not sure what the plans are for the Andorran border.
snow report
@hammerite, Boy's heading to Andorra at some point, to save on EU days, as far as we can tell you have to go into Border Control and ask them to stamp your passport, it's not done automatically
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@hammerite, Boy's heading to Andorra at some point, to save on EU days, as far as we can tell you have to go into Border Control and ask them to stamp your passport, it's not done automatically

At the moment, yes, you do. Jnr and the OH do it when they come in. French border you have to wander around the building in the vain hope of finding someone working. The Spanish border is well manned. You don’t even need to get out of the car as they stamp your passport when you go past their little cabin (except if you go through on a bus - you have to ask the driver to stop). I’m not sure what the plans are once the new system comes into place.

They don’t stamp my passport though because I’m an Andorran resident so it looks like I’ve spent most of my time in the EU. When I’ve travelled elsewhere no one questions this though. At first I travelled with all sorts of paperwork on top of my resident’s card to show that I’d spent my time in Andorra. Now I don’t bother because no one bothers to check or even ask.
ski holidays
I do wonder what would happen if he "forgets" to get his passport stamped coming back into EU Puzzled
latest report
@Boris, the OH hardly ever gets stamped back into the EU when leaving Andorra. She’s nearly always heading straight to the airport so gets stamped out of the EU again (in effect two out stamps in a row). Again, no real way of knowing when she is and isn’t in the EU!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I noticed this week that 4 EES self-registration booths have been set up at GVA, at the very far end of the arrivals building next to the non-EU queue.

They were turned on but seemingly not operational yet, although I saw some staff demonstrating one to another staff member. I wonder if registration for the EES system will be opened soon in advance of the system going active in October.
ski holidays
@musehead, useful to know - being able to pre-register before it goes live would be a remarkably sensible step. Which makes me think it'll never happen Happy

EES/ETIAS in conjunction with the "new" airport security scanners that enable you to leave everything in your bag, might get travel back to being as seamless as it was 25 years ago.
snow conditions
I too really hope they have thought about pre registering online before hand which will allow you to by pass the queues.

I did ask le shuttle about their plans, whether there would be a dedicated flexi plus lane but nothing concrete yet - they said it would take an additional 7 mins, but really can’t see that happening at peak times. Apparently lots of modelling to check their plans for kiosks… I bet they haven’t included the fact some will take a long time to do all the first reg checks.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@musehead, useful to know - being able to pre-register before it goes live would be a remarkably sensible step. Which makes me think it'll never happen Happy
If it's the Swiss or the Germans then very likely, if it is the French then :gallic-shrug: ...but if you're talking about the British so-called-Government, they can't even do a simple food border ...at the chuffing border ...at the sixth attempt!

Quote:
EES/ETIAS in conjunction with the "new" airport security scanners that enable you to leave everything in your bag, might get travel back to being as seamless as it was 25 years ago.
Ahh, such happy days ... no Brexit, no 90/180 rule, no biometric face-id/finger-print/iris or other body-scanning, leaving one's belt & boots on to go through Security...no mobile, tablet, or indeed laptop to keep safe & ensure it didnt burn-out the aircraft Embarassed

You could say it's almost like "going back to square one" Confused
ski holidays
Dylan_T42 wrote:
snowdave wrote:
If it's the Swiss or the Germans then very likely, if it is the French then :gallic-shrug: ...but if you're talking about the British so-called-Government, they can't even do a simple food border ...at the chuffing border ...at the sixth attempt!

To be fair, Geneva, Zurich, Frankfurt and Berlin airports each singlehandedly disprove the myths of Swiss and Teutonic efficiency!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy