Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone out in La Clusaz or due to go able to offer some conditions and trip reports.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 6-01-24 19:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was great up until Boxing Day. Been pretty icy since then and no off piste. Started snowing hard 3 hours ago down to the village so tomorrow looks like a good start to the new year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im heading there on Friday, so can let you know what conditions are like, hopefully not too much rain this week coming..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LC74!, @dh900,
Thanks. Would love to hear more

Also can you or anyone offer some advice on skiing to and from Manigod/Croix Fry to La Clusaz ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LC74!, @dh900,
Thanks. Would love to hear more

Also can you or anyone offer some advice on skiing to and from Manigod/Croix Fry to La Clusaz ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Love to hear some more about La Clusaz too, I arrive on the 13th for 2 weeks, a week of warmup/jet lag recovery then a week at the SIGB ski test.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been keeping an eye on conditions too as I'll be there for a few days later this month. Webcams and run status maps suggest it's good high up and OK low down. Yesterday's snow / rain limit just about descended to the lowest slopes around the La Clusaz lift bases, and anywhere from 1300m up seems to have had a useful topup (including to the bottom of the Balme gondola).

The main areas that are still closed are 1. the runs down the Combe des Juments chair (sunny, low and no snowmaking) and 2. the direct route between l'Etale and Manigod. @Renry, that second closure is relevant to your question as it's one of the ways between Manigod and La Clusaz. From Manigod to La Clusaz you'd need to use the Les Prises valley run; on the way back you'd use the Beauregard gondola and the top part of Les Prises, which connects with the Croix Fry chair.

Neighbouring Le Grand Bornand (which has a shared lift pass) seems to be doing slightly better for snow (generally slightly higher base altitudes and more north facing slopes), apart from the single low run back to the old village which hasn't opened yet this season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading to La Clusaz on 27th Jan for 10 days. One of my favourite places in the French Alps and never disappoints winter or summer. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am out the 29th Jan, we stay in Croix Fry, we love the place, but have never actually skied between Manigod and Croix Fry as we have always gone as a family I have always just taken the car and parked up. This year I am taking some friends (first 'lads' ski trip in 10 years for me) so would probably be out longer and spending more time in La Clusaz for apres, hence the question about asking across from Croix Fry. The bus time table for getting back (if we have a few beers) is a little confusing as to how often it runs and where the pick up point in La Clusaz is for the return to Croix Fry, so if anyone can help with that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not an expert on buses here but had a quick look at the timetable. You can get one to Croix Fry (from the gare routiere 5-10 min walk from bottom of patinoire lift) or better at la ruade parking which is next to la Ferme restaurant on cret de Merle which is next to the piste. It's about 25 mins as it's a windy road! The bad news is last bus is 1710. The apres in La clusaz is mainly either on the mountain and depends a lot on if the sun is out (Les Praz, LaO or 1647 probably the best bets) and all shut at 1630 or from early evening onwards in town so latter doesn't work for buses. If you want to be in la Clusaz after 1700 then either rent a car or taxi (they are very expensive but they can do a Geneva airport trip in about the same time!) Best to book in advance . Try Stephane on 06 70 95 40 41. Hes on WhatsApp and speaks great English plus very reliable. Hope that's helpful and if you need anything more let me know. ....and most importantly snow and sun was fab today. If all of winter 2024 is like today ......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone recommend the best and liveliest bars for apres and in the evenings?

And any restaurants in town worth a visit?

Cheers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure of budget or age requirements but most seem to enjoy Paccally, Scierie or Candide Store for drinks. For dinner in town Scierie or L'Ecuelle or if you want Pizza Pizz'Avalanche or sushi at Sushi Fumi A little bit of town is La Ferme which is good for dinner or lunch.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LC74!, great advice, thank you. I have a car so I might have to end up as designated driver for a couple of nights.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also any recommendations for a family of 4 with 3/5yo kids and a fair bit of luggage to get a shuttle from GVA to La Clusaz?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is the shuttle site.. https://www.aravis-shuttle.com/. It drops you at the gare routiere which isn't great for getting to most places to stay when you have kids and luggage in tow and a private transfer will cost about the same. One I use is +33 670954041. Works on WhatsApp and he speaks good English.
ski holidays
@LC74!, Thanks for the tips, will be trying some of these out.

Does the number you provided in last post also offer taxi services in La Clusaz?
snow report
Yes although it's not cheap for short trips. The local bus service/coverage is pretty good too.
ski holidays
LC74! wrote:
This is the shuttle site.. https://www.aravis-shuttle.com/. It drops you at the gare routiere which isn't great for getting to most places to stay when you have kids and luggage in tow and a private transfer will cost about the same. One I use is +33 670954041. Works on WhatsApp and he speaks good English.

Great thanks for that I will send a message.

I have a work colleague coming in at 6:45pm a few days after us and the aravis-shuttle last departure is 8pm, too expensive to book him on a private shuttle, naturally he should be fine but what are his option if he is delayed / baggage delayed??
snow conditions
They leave on time so then he'd be looking at airport hotel until next day or car rental. Hand luggage only should help minimise the risk and running to passport control!
snow report
For those about to come out it's been snowing all day down to the village and not showing any sign of stopping . A bit heavy at the bottom but great a little higher up....

https://www.instagram.com/stories/laclusazskiresort/3273606845528858659?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=OTRtZ21mM3RhZHBu
snow report
Ive been in resort since 2pm, a lot of wet snow and slush in town. Cold though and hopefully pistes are good higher up..
ski holidays
Just back after 3 days in resort. Very snowy at altitude with excellent piste & off-piste conditions, albeit with low vis. The best conditions are above 1500m which offer fresh grippy snow. Lower down the runs into the town do have ice patches and some brown patches on select runs. I skiied the whole area, nearly all the area was open with just the Melezes run and Combe des Juments not open that I could see, no idea why as more than enough snow to open them. There was just a dusting of snow in the town. Great conditions for anyone heading out in the next week or so.
latest report
LC74! wrote:

Can you please confirm if that number is still active, I have messaged 'Stephane' via what's app two days ago but no reply.
Im ok for transfer as I have a car, just might need some taxis (for 6 people, possibly still with skis) back to Croix Fry from la Clusaz.

Can anyone else offer some contacts for local taxi's
snow report
Chamwow wrote:
Love to hear some more about La Clusaz too, I arrive on the 13th for 2 weeks, a week of warmup/jet lag recovery then a week at the SIGB ski test.

Who will you be with for the SIGB test? the Style Altitude crew are going again from Monday to Wednesday!
ski holidays
Renry hopefully this should work https://www.aravis-transfers.com/
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Who will you be with for the SIGB test? the Style Altitude crew are going again from Monday to Wednesday!

I own aussieskier.com - we have a crew of 3 there all week.

You can check out last year's reviews at https://youtube.com/aussieskier

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 11-01-24 7:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Renry wrote:
LC74! wrote:

Can you please confirm if that number is still active, I have messaged 'Stephane' via what's app two days ago but no reply.
Im ok for transfer as I have a car, just might need some taxis (for 6 people, possibly still with skis) back to Croix Fry from la Clusaz.

Can anyone else offer some contacts for local taxi's

Hmmmm I've had a responsive conversation with Stephane and he's picking us up from GVA on Saturday.
ski holidays
@Chamwow, He replies to a text message but does not appear to be using WhatsApp.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chamwow, try and hook up!!
ski holidays
Renry wrote:
@Chamwow, He replies to a text message but does not appear to be using WhatsApp.

Very strange I’ve arranged it all via WA!
snow conditions
Hi, is anyone planning to be in La Clusaz from 9th march? Looking for ski buddies.
snow report
Which is the best car park to use with easy access to a lift ?

I was looking at Bossonnet were it appears to have outdoor and indoor parking. We are skiing midweek outside of French holidays and likely to be out for first lift so this area looks like a decent option. Any thoughts ? Also on maps I can see what appears to be a parking meter adjacent to the outside parking spaces. Is this coin or card etc and what's the charges ?

Any help appreciated.
ski holidays
If you are midweek, arriving early and not during holidays Bossonnet is good. The lift is right on top of it. It's almost all indoor parking and very limited outside. It takes coins....I guess cards too but can't remember as it's a while since I used it.
snow report
It's feckin grim here today
ski holidays
@Weathercam, because of rain? Sad
ski holidays
It was pouring down with rain from mid afternoon until late evening, 15cm of snow above mid station was nice!
latest report
Le Grand Bornand is skiing well today, and full sunshine overhead. A bit hard packed to start but soon softened up. May become slushy by the end of the day but the majority of slopes face north which is helping a lot.

The few closed pistes are due to race training or hard snow (the latter which should open later today). Otherwise everything is open with decent cover, including the long, sunny red down to Le Grand Bornand Village at 1000m. So, credit to the pisteurs! Smile

Will post a more detailed report later in the trip reports section.
snow report
Is anyone currently in La Clusaz ? How is it holding up ? We arrive Monday for a 5 day lads trip. If the snow is holding up early start and long lunch in the sun sounds perfect. Also does anyone have any idea how the runs between Manigod (Croix fry) and La Clusaz are looking , could these close with the coming warmer weather ?
snow report
@Renry, I'm in La Clusaz / Manigod right now (typing this on the Grands Laquais drag). You are right to highlight the linking runs between Manigod and La Clusaz as areas of concern.

All are currently open, but the two blue runs between l'Etale and Manigod (in both directions) are borderline unskiable, as is the Grand Choucas area. None of this has snowmaking, so I wouldn't expect it to survive until Monday.

The Les Prises / l'Envers links between Beauregard and Manigod are also a bit thin, but have a bit more life in them yet, plus I think La Clusaz will try to keep them open by hook or by crook.

The main Manigod sector served by the 3 chairlifts generally has sufficient snow cover, at least on the main runs. Ditto for the other La Clusaz sectors. Be prepared for hard packed pistes on shady slopes.

Will post in more detail later in the resort reviews section.
snow conditions
In La Clusaz today and yes Manigod link mentioned above now shut. Some very ropey pistes dotted over resort closed but still loads to ski- pretty hard packed and icy first thing but softening up nicely through the day even up on Augilue. All in all a great day with even a sun kissed terrace rosé lunch thrown in for good measure!
We’re planning on a day trip to Le Grand Bornand tomorrow- anyone out there and if so is it worth the trip given all the sun in the last few days?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy