Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Mojo

Poster: A snowHead
Wanted.
LOOKING FOR 2ND HAND SKI MOJO (GOLD) IF ANYONE IS SELLING
thanks Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave H, DM sent
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are they any good?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blahblahblah, they are brilliant if a bit faffy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you, my wife looked at me like I was mad, but a combination of sciatica and a knee op has made skiing harder work than it should be and think this might be the answer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I couldn't ski without mine. The Mk1 was a bit fragile but the latest version is much better.

I've still got my Mk1 gold, which if anyone wants to come and get it they can have it for spares.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you got an injury? or is it just "easier" with one?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah wrote:
Are they any good?

Do a search and you'll find lots of threads where users have posted their personal experiences.

One or two people have reservations about them, but probably 95% of those who try them end up using them all the time. Yes, they're good; yes, they make it less work; yes, they can help people with previous injuries by reducing the forces going through the knee.

My wife started with the mark 1 around 15 years ago, after several knee surgeries, and never skis without it (upgraded for free several times and finally replaced with the latest version three or four years ago now). I've also had knee problems, although unlike her I've got no artificial bits yet, and started using one around 5 years ago. I only occasionally ski without, notably if I'm teaching beginners, cos they get in the way of the snowplough, making good demonstrations more difficult. For everything else, including race training, freeriding and (very occasional, these days) ski touring I wouldn't be without mine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gixxerniknik wrote:
I couldn't ski without mine. The Mk1 was a bit fragile but the latest version is much better.

I've still got my Mk1 gold, which if anyone wants to come and get it they can have it for spares.

Did you try sending it back? Martin gave us around a 30% discount/refund on a new one when we sent the old one back. I guess you'd need to arrange that before you bought the new one though.

The latest ones are still not bombproof - I've actually physically broken two, once demonstrating how low they could go (not that low, it turned out) and once ducking under a wire fence. In both cases I probably had the springs set a little low so I was pushing it to its maximum angle, and then just beyond it. In both cases the local shop here arranged a replacement, took just a few days. I make sure they're set a bit higher these days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaletbeauroc, it was the second time something went wrong. I found him really helpful. The first time he sent a replacement part free of charge even though I'd bought it second hand. When I contacted him for the second breakage he explained he didn't have a stock of the rods I needed but offered me 30% off a new one. I'd have been silly if I'd not taken him up on that offer.
I really hope I don't damage this one!

One question actually, for the weight setting, is it 'dry' weight or fully kitted?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gixxerniknik, I've always assumed fully laden, but in practice I only use the weight at as a starting point, sometimes changing the settings based on what I'm trying to achieve, like much lower 'assist' when I did my L3 Tech a few years back, as on higher settings it had a tendency to slow down some of the required movements, visibly at least, and slightly stiffer settings if I'm feeling tired, have more than usual pain or am planning an epic full-on freeride day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always crank them right up as I'm a lard ball
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

There's a trade-off to be made though; sure, setting them on max will give you most help, but your skiing may suffer. The added resistance may be enough to stop you bending ze knees sufficiently and even if you do the push as they release may also interfere with your natural movement. Whether you'll notice or not is another matter, and really depends on your own skiing technique and understanding of what you're doing. When I was doing my L3 Tech I unclipped them for my short turns, as they were just slowing down the movements too much and making my turns scrappy and irregular.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chaletbeauroc, anything is better than chronic knee pain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

I've just cranked mine up having realised...some years later...I'm a good 10kg heavier than when I got it!
snow conditions

Not arguing with that, but there is a risk that too much support can lead to further weakening of the muscles round the joint, so I aim to minimise the stress in the joint itself while still being able to feel that I'm giving the muscles a good work-out. Weight training, squats and thrusts, also helps. The stronger the leg muscles the less likely I feel I am to aggravate or further injure the joint itself.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Just that. My skiing life would have finished years ago without it.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

Not arguing with that, but there is a risk that too much support can lead to further weakening of the muscles round the joint, so I aim to minimise the stress in the joint itself while still being able to feel that I'm giving the muscles a good work-out. Weight training, squats and thrusts, also helps. The stronger the leg muscles the less likely I feel I am to aggravate or further injure the joint itself.

What does help is a good stance, and improved technique. Also avoiding challenging slopes and snow.

I agree that one should try and get into the heat shape possible.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Just that. My skiing life would have finished years ago without it.

Thank you, and others for the input, my last two trips involved not "loving" the skiing part due to pain. Kids are pretty good now and I was holding them up, so had to ski with the beginners.

Seems a no brainer, I joined the gym months before the last trip in the hope that fitness an strength would help, which it did to an extent, but by day 4 I was wishing I was not skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy