Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve been shopping.
Got some of those big sunglasses that are almost the size and shape of ski goggles as I noticed loads of people had them in July mountaineering and they have great coverage! Found some not too big for my little head.
And a merino Buff.
In Fire and Ice now (not been before) to have a pizza.
Everyone working here is mega tall.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stopped at Fire and Ice a few times earlier in the year. Bit of a labyrinth inside.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JimboS, had a lovely pizza in there for tea tonight.
Would go again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s raining hard in the town as I came back so there should be a lot of snow tomorrow morning up higher.
I think maybe 5cm came down over a couple of hours today so that gives you an idea how fast it was snowing.

Had a nice chalky bit of off piste this morning to the side of red 37.
Sunday should be epic once they have opened everything up again and bombed.
We shall see what tomorrow brings.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl is closed today (well at the moment but I don’t see it changing)
Galtur is closed too.
Kappl has limited opening only very low down.
Avalanche level 4.

Not surprising considering how strong the wind is, over 100km/h up high.
Looks like it rained all night at resort level.
Day for the telly I think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@the_dazzler, when do you arrive?

2nd March
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@the_dazzler, well I’m sure you will enjoy yourself.
Currently there has been enough snow come down in one night to last until March I’d say!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolute snowmageddon here in Ischgl.
Belting it down with big fluffy snowflakes at resort level.
They’ve had to snowplough the roads all day as it comes down so quickly.

Ischgl and Galtur have been closed all day as I suggested earlier. Kappl had some lifts open as it’s lower than both Galtur and Ischgl but the vis was poor and I think I only saw one person on the webcam the few times I looked.

There must be a huge amount of snow up high in Ischgl now and I am expecting a delayed opening tomorrow, if they open at all. I think the snow is not forecast to stop until Sunday.

I have just gone out to a cafe after all day so far doing nothing apart from watch TV. I watched ‘Leave The World Behind’ on Netflix. It wasn’t the worst film I’d ever seen but not the best either.

We will see what tomorrow brings.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, Frustrating! Is tomorrow your last day?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@red 27, no I don’t go back until Wednesday so all is well. Will get the powder days Sun Mon Tues as long as it doesn’t get too warm.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VolklAttivaS5, snowHead Nice
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, let’s hope so!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, It was like that on our first boys trip to Ischgl, it was the last long weekend boys trip we did as the hill was closed for two days out of three. Now switched to week long trips.

Hope it opens up soon for you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair I can’t complain as everything has been open pretty much since I arrived.
This happened in April one year when it snowed about 1.5m and it was closed for 3 days.
It is what it is.
I will go skiing somewhere tomorrow though, Kappl or See as both were open today (but limited)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve gone to the pizza place above Burger King for the first time for tea tonight.
Very nice!
latest report
Morning, still snowing this morning and things are going to open after they’ve finished the safety work but it’s a case of how much is going to open.

Lots of bombing this morning from about 5am onwards, so they’ve been working hard.

No skiing at Kappl today so it seems but there is at See and Galtur
snow conditions
I don’t know how much snow has come down yet, there is a fair bit on the ground in resort maybe 20cm or more so I can only imagine up high must be up to 1m, surely more than 50cm

More later on when I’ve seen
ski holidays
Liking all this snow. Don’t arrive until 6th Jan but building a bloody great base
snow report
@Ldj226, yes definitely it was fantastic before all this to be fair.

It was a wise decision to go to Galtur this morning as there’s plenty here and more opening up gradually, in Ischgl there is the Pardatschgratbahn and the Silvrettabahn only at the moment.
snow report
In Galtur the snow park obstacles/rails/boxes are buried.

The chair lifts needed to be dug out as the snow was up to the barrier thing that lets you onto the conveyor belt.
So that’s maybe 50cm of fresh isn’t it.

Off piste is a bit ropey because the vis is poor but the snow on it is nice and to be fair there’s lovely fresh snow just on the pistes so perfectly enjoyable without going off. It’s no good if you can’t see potential obstacles so I’ve left it alone for now.
ski holidays
Brightened up a bit this afternoon after lunch, had a nice long pitch down by the trees in Galtur where the vis was a lot better. Snow is deep and quite heavy off piste under 2000m though. Still very nice but not light and fluffy.
ski holidays
Looking online Ischgl had a maximum of 41km of pistes open all day today with nothing available above Idalp, so very, very limited. Winds didn’t seem very strong to be fair so I’m assuming they needed to dig all the lifts out.

Glad I went to Galtur because nothing opened in Ischgl until after 10am.
Galtur had everything open except 2 lifts.

Back in the apartment now and will rest up ready for what will hopefully be a great day tomorrow. It’s a shame for people with just the Ischgl pass as they won’t get a refund for today even if there’s been less than 1/5th of the area open.
snow report
Went over to See this morning as Ischgl was packed looking at the Idalp webcam and they hadn’t opened much yet. They have now so will head back over this afternoon.

However…..Alp Bella is now open!!
The chicken drought is over.

See is a small area but there is a lot more terrain available than the piste map indicates if you consider the off piste terrain which is pretty vast!
Had some great fresh tracks to the side of the piste this morning. Loads and loads of potential with skins (but today is avalanche level 4)

Happy Christmas everyone
ski holidays
So, believe it or not after a bright sunny day it’s now trying to snow again.
Light flakes coming down in Ischgl.

Really enjoyed See this morning, great area and a good long ski out to the bottom, fab!
ski holidays
Just heading up the Pardatschgratbahn now as didn’t wake up until gone 10am
Zzzzzz
The Piz Val Gronda is open so will go there this morning while it’s still cool.

Very spring like day today.

Then I think Alp Bella awaits or the Paznauner Thaya because both offer roast chicken!
ski holidays
Very warm day today

+12C at 2300m at 2.30pm!

I’d never have known it was Christmas Day by the way it looked today.

Very busy though, seemed busier than usual perhaps.
Pistes had lots of moguls on them as the snow was soft quite early on with those temperatures.

Off piste-didn’t bother, it was wind and sun affected. Saw a few trying it without success.

Had a great roast chicken at Paznauner Thaya, not had one from there before, just as good as Alp Bella.

Last day skiing tomorrow then back home 27th Dec. Hopefully Innsbruck won’t have any problems on the way back.
snow report
Lovely in Alp Trida this morning, bit colder today and the pistes are firm and cold.
Have been for an Alp Bella chicken.
Very tasty.
Hard to know which is better, the Alp Bella or the chicken bar at Paznauner Thaya

For those turning up this week or later you will have to compare and see which you prefer.
ski holidays
To give myself a feel for the expensiveness of Ischgl. How much is the half roast chicken in Alp Bella? How much is a large beer?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@the_dazzler, I decided it was best to quickly forget all food and beer costs from earlier this year. Shocked

But it was still a lot cheaper than France and Switzerland.
snow report
JimboS wrote:
@the_dazzler, I decided it was best to quickly forget all food and beer costs from earlier this year. Shocked

But it was still a lot cheaper than France and Switzerland.

Hopefully, prices weren't that bad in Val D'Isere. Comparable to Dublin but maybe that's a sign of the insanity of Irish prices.
snow conditions
the_dazzler wrote:
To give myself a feel for the expensiveness of Ischgl. How much is the half roast chicken in Alp Bella? How much is a large beer?

Not sure exactly as I paid in CHF with my debit card (no extra charges though for purchasing in foreign currency)
But for the half roast chicken and a hot chocolate it was £18.45 equivalent

Large beer is €6 or €7 depending on the place
Small beer €4

Ischgl is definitely more expensive than say Kitzbuhel which is excellent value for money around &
Kitzbuhel and Ski Welt etc
snow conditions
Like @JimboS, said it’s still cheaper than France or Switzerland like for like.
Main meals like spaghetti bolognese on the mountain are usually 11-14€
ski holidays
I was taken back by some of the prices I'm seeing at the minute. 12.90€ for a germknodle at Zell am See today. 9.60€ in saalbach yesterday. 9.50€ for a goulash suppe in both places. Ischgl seemed cheap in comparison
snow report
Ischgl is way cheaper than Val D'isere
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
I was taken back by some of the prices I'm seeing at the minute. 12.90€ for a germknodle at Zell am See today. 9.60€ in saalbach yesterday. 9.50€ for a goulash suppe in both places. Ischgl seemed cheap in comparison

€9.60 for a nice big Germknödel seems about right to me.
€12.90 is expensive yes
€6 for goulash soup would be normal, €9.50 is expensive

In Ischgl you need to watch the salad!
You know where you get the salad buffet and then they weigh it, the plate is included and I’m not sure they allow for the weight of the plate.
So 400g of salad including the plate can end up costing €15 or more which is extortionate

So beware of the salad!
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

€9.60 for a nice big Germknödel seems about right to me.
€12.90 is expensive yes
€6 for goulash soup would be normal, €9.50 is expensive

In Ischgl you need to watch the salad!
You know where you get the salad buffet and then they weigh it, the plate is included and I’m not sure they allow for the weight of the plate.
So 400g of salad including the plate can end up costing €15 or more which is extortionate

So beware of the salad!
It will be a great excuse to avoid the rabbit food to the fiance Very Happy
snow conditions
@the_dazzler, the salads they have are great
But not worth a bloody tenner or more!
ski holidays
I think the half roast chicken at the Paznauner Thaya was €14
I preferred that one as I don’t want the hard bread roll with no butter on it (like at Alp Bella) I’d rather have chips.
The Alp Bella chicken has some nice spicy stuff on the skin though.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, last season in kitzski, the zillertal and skiwelt I never paid more than 7€ for a germknoedel. Its a family staple. I can't remember how much in Ischgl though.
latest report
@Mother hucker, they’ve put the price up then
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy