Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Tricky one. The Spa hotel in Alagna looks nicest and great value but the road may still be closed. Also it has amber lights on all its pistes and lifts whereas everything else is more or less open (albeit I won't ski till Monday)

Thanks for above tips, looking forward to finally ticking off this glorious area!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@8611, my expectation would be that they're just securing the slopes after a reasonable snow fall last night (and into today). About 10cms in Champoluc on my car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, but, updated, Alagna now all red, Gressoney all amber ... I suspect combination of lots of snow, and probs wind higher up.

Tomorrow should be quite fun Happy We shall be having a quiet down day today Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for updates @under a new name. Not skiing till tomorrow anyway, but next question is winter tyres or no. Thought I'd be grand if Alagna (1300m) as expected it to be below snow line, and should have been grand on a straightish road up to Staffal (1800m).

But saw video from Alagna this morning with a lot of snow falling so prob should cough up the extra money.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also their shuttle bus to get around the landslide has been cancelled due to heavy snow!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Watching the Champoluc webcam and it is absolutely dumping!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing much open today, for fairly obvious reasons.

But easily well over 30cms at village level. Snowing only lightly now but between 11h00-15h00 ~ 5-10 cms/hour?

Tomorrow might be quite spicy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Road to Gressoney currently closed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TOOTIE, yes my accommodation was good enough to call me

Might have made it into Alagna but with no guarantee I would be able to get the rental back out in two days time looks like it's Champoluc for me after all!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No idea when the road will re-open
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
8611 wrote:
@TOOTIE, yes my accommodation was good enough to call me

Might have made it into Alagna but with no guarantee I would be able to get the rental back out in two days time looks like it's Champoluc for me after all!

Indeed, other two valleys have proven prone to landslides. Ayas valley is wider. I would upgrade to get snow tyres, rather than just chains in the boot. Its steep and twisty for the first part of the road up from the autostrada.

Even if links don't open, Cham and Frachey have decent amount of skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Somewhat unusual quantities of snow … roads not usually an issue …
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is from Staffal I believe snowHead snowHead snowHead
https://www.instagram.com/stories/juliette_willmann/3320670053491344526?igsh=cXRmbWJuYmc1cHUy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t44tomo, yep, definitely needed the snow tyres alright, place is caked and it's just started snowing again

Was actually ok up to Brusson, then poorest on the thankfully flat drive into champoluc

You'll have to excuse me now, I think a Kir Royale in the heated outdoor pool is called for
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone got any beta of what’s open tomorrow? This link suggests some lifts in Champoluc but Gressoney completely closed
latest report
You tempted @BobinCH? I'd share a guide but I think I'd want to let it settle down a bit first. Might also get a sense of how light it is tomorrow and see if worth doing more. If not beautiful pistes and restaurants, how bad.
snow report
Avalanche risk 4 unsurprisingly:

https://bollettinovalanghe.regione.vda.it/home-2
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
You tempted @BobinCH? I'd share a guide but I think I'd want to let it settle down a bit first. Might also get a sense of how light it is tomorrow and see if worth doing more. If not beautiful pistes and restaurants, how bad.

Tempted. But looks like very little likely to open. Forecast looks like some sun in the morning and tomorrow morning is my window
https://monterosaski.eu/in-tempo-reale/skirama/monterosa-ski-3-valli
snow conditions
Ah I suspect that would be a long and probably fruitless journey

I'll let you know how it is tomorrow but nothing opened with a similar fall last week and then when the gnarlibuggers got up it was pretty heavy
latest report
8611 wrote:
Ah I suspect that would be a long and probably fruitless journey

I'll let you know how it is tomorrow but nothing opened with a similar fall last week and then when the gnarlibuggers got up it was pretty heavy

Yep lots of south facing terrain so need to get there quickly. I’m quite tempted to roll the dice tomorrow and bring my touring skis in case nothing opens. Is there good Freeride terrain in Champoluc?
snow conditions
Lol - you'e some man Bob. I've never been here before so not the person to ask. I had a quick look at the wepowder manual last night and there was definitely stuff in it for this valley, maybe Fatmap will tell you more.
ski holidays
"With great joy, we inform you that thanks to the recent heavy snowfalls, the satellite ski areas of Antagnod, Brusson, Gressoney-Saint-Jean and Champorcher will continue the season without interruptions, remaining open even on weekdays, excluding only Tuesdays, from 18 March to April 1st included.
And that's not all! There is another fantastic surprise for you: Alpe di Mera will also extend the duration of the winter season beyond the closing date initially scheduled for 24 March 2024. The lifts and slopes will be operational every day until Monday 1st April and, subsequently, also on the weekend of 6 and 7 April.

Don't miss the opportunity to experience this extraordinary season finale.

Always stay up to date by following our website monterosaski.eu and our social channels."
snow report
I should be finished queuing for my lift pass by then
snow conditions
@t44tomo, so all the little kiddies can ski?
ski holidays
Anyone know when the road will open today?
snow report
Anyone know when the road will open today?
snow report
All is forgiven. Super light side piste powder and bluebird. Thats enough for me.

Bob I hope I didn't talk you out of it or you made it anyway!
snow conditions
a very nice day ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I arrived in Champoluc yesterday evening, and I very stupidly forgot to pack a UK-Europe adaptor.

I don't suppose anyone here knows where I would be able to buy one? I have a car, and don't mind driving far(ish).

Thanks.
snow report
Amazon?
snow report
@under a new name, guide said it was best conditions since 2017

Getting a bit heavy by 3 but maybe that might have just been the sun, everything open tomorrow so another 1000m or so to play with
ski holidays
@Contrarian, I'd have thought Crai would have one?

@8611, yeah, that sounds about right! snowHead
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
@under a new name, guide said it was best conditions since 2017

Getting a bit heavy by 3 but maybe that might have just been the sun, everything open tomorrow so another 1000m or so to play with

Argh should have gone! Lucky you. Make the most of all that powder snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
@BobinCH, nah, lots of unopened lifts, link to Gressoney stayed closed, lots of folk skiing very silly lines*, and lots following silly tracks.

Nice snow tho', got heavy by lunchtime.

* one group managed to get themselves into a big deep bowl with no gradient out ... bizarre route planning rolling eyes I guess they were the ones skiing off the hill at 17:30 ... Shocked
snow report
Still a lot of perfectly acceptable powder above Gressoney, and very few people skiing it

Seemed to be heavier elsewhere

Is it just me or is the pisting terrible? Or is that just because of all the snow?
snow report
@8611, ha ha it’s not the immaculate corduroy one expects, for sure.

But a better workout than usual Twisted Evil
ski holidays
More or less skied every piste in the 3 valleys today. Best piste snow was actually the chalky pistes above Champoluc in the afternoon sun. Is that corn already? Definitely felt like spring on leaving.

Dipped in and out of side piste throughout, there was surprisingly great snow off Seehorn above Gressoney

Also the larch forests off skiers right above Frachey. C13 / C15 on am old map I found online.

I suspect there is still going snow in the trees. Also presumably off the myriad runs between Alagna and Gressoney although there were more off piste there than on this morning.

Run down to Alagna exhilarating and long but warm at bottom.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@8611, ha ha it’s not the immaculate corduroy one expects, for sure.

But a better workout than usual Twisted Evil

This won't be a popular opinion in this thread but after wanting to ski them for about ten years I was a little disappointed by the Monte Rosa resorts. Chocolate box, yes. Unique individual identities and charms, yes. However, the pisting was terrible and there are a preponderance of ancient rickety chairs (on East side above Gressoney in particular). Infrastructure in general pretty poor, barely a toilet up the mountain (must have lowest ratio per number of users going) and then those awful squat yokes you uses to see in France in the 80s. Not sure the on piste eating was great though admittedly, I didn't get much of a chance to try. Faff buying tickets.

Am I being uncharitable? If today was well pisted it would have been a super day but it all left a bit of a disappointed taste in my mouth.
latest report
@8611, we have friends with us and their experience was quite the opposite... we've all rather enjoyed the somewhat under groomed pistes and are unusually tired Happy

Also a nice if brief lunch at Punta Jolanda
snow report
That looked nice but just thought it was a bit busy to get in and out on time
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy