Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surgeon says no skiing after hip op

Poster: A snowHead
Help! Eh oh! Hi everyone, I need a full hip replacement and two NHS surgeon have said I shouldn't ski afterwards due to risk of dislocation.

Eh oh! But I've seen multiple people hear say they are skiing afterwards and I've seen on the internet several private surgeons saying it is possible.

Eh oh! Are the NHS surgeons being ultra cautious? Has anyone else had surgeons saying not to ski but have then skied?

( Eh oh! I've seen previous comments about small Vs large heads. I need to check that but they looked like large heads that he showed me)

Eh oh! Also, what level are people skiing at on full hip replacements? I'm a competent off-piste skier and alpine tourer, who has done multiple seasons. I don't jump!

Op type:
They are offering titanium uncemented with ceramic on plastic bearing.

Thank you for your comments Eh oh! Eh oh!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-12-23 12:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NB I am 56 years old.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jack777, welcome to SH's - your post seems to have no title! Can you edit it - little icon over on the right.

I think the answer is probably yes, you can ski again based on previous threads:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3180591
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5158186
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1962584
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne thank you for those links. I think my real question is if others got the same no skiing advice as I am but went ahead anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne thank you for those links. I think my real question is if others got the same no skiing advice as I am but went ahead anyway. (Why would the surgeons bee saying this when there seems to be so much evidence elsewhere that it is possible to ski)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jack777, yep, fair question. And hopefully some folks with experience will now see the post.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jack777, this seems an excellent area where "Social Media" might be of some good.
Start a thread (or whatever it is called - I don't use social media) on Facebook/Tiktok/whatever, and see what you get.
You could then take the information back to your surgeons, alongwith those threads from here.
(You could also cheekily suggest that maybe the advice they have given you is a comment on their expertise Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess the other question is around insurance
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can you do snowboarding if skiing is not an option? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jack777, as recorded on other threads I’ve been skiing probably at a similar or even slightly better level since my full hip replacement (following a shattered femur) 4 years ago at 60. Better because I used the stimulus of the accident to loose weight and get fitter. I was heli-skiing in NZ this September. None of the medics - all NHS, told me not to ski and one said “what else are you going to do with your life if you don’t ski”.

I did break my humerus badly a few years ago and a junior Dr told me I should never ski again. I remember walking out of the hospital and realising tears were rolling down my cheeks. A month later and I saw the consultant and queried the view and he said “don’t be stupid of course you can” - he was a skier. My question would be - do your Drs ski or engage in other adventure sports? If they don’t get an opinion from one that does. Some folk just equate skiing with danger.

I guess it is possible that you may have a particular set of circumstances which make it difficult, but that would need to be explained why you can’t and others can.

I was actually in correspondence with the surgeon who fixed my hip on the fourth anniversary of the op. Thanking him for what he had done and told how well it had recovered and what I had been up to since. He was very enthusiastic about the outcome.

Good luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ask them what they would do if it meant no golf?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can see where the surgeon is coming from. You ask her if you can ski again, she has no experience of skiing and has done no risk asessment on it so says "no". That way she is in the clear if anything should go wrong. When I asked my knee surgeon about skiing he said "no", all the surgery was for was to enable me to walk, not to improve activity levels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd find another surgeon. Well unless there's a specific clinical thing you're not telling us which directly caused that statement to be made.

A surgeon who leaves patients asking questions here isn't doing a great job.

Probably best to find someone with direct experience of sports people. It doesn't have to be skiing I expect, just someone who understands what an active lifestyle is versus those who like Johnson would think you've "had a good innings" by that age. And ask what your options would be if money was not the limiting factor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm guessing the surgeon also said to watch you alcohol intake as well after the op. Life is for living.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of people second guessing a trained professional that actually has access to all the information.

I had a friend who's elderly relative reported being told to stop exercising post hip replacement. Friend was not best pleased (they are a sports scientist so know the importance of exercise for health), and contacted the surgeon. Turned out they'd told him to avoid weight bearing exercise as his bone density was very low and risk of fracture was too high. So nothing to do with the actual hip replacement, and they actually wanted him to increase non-weight bearing exercise!
latest report
so why didnt your "trained professional" think that was an important thing to tell someone in the first instance.
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
so why didnt your "trained professional" think that was an important thing to tell someone in the first instance.

They did. It's pretty common for people to misunderstand or not take everything in. Yes, some of that is those working in healthcare need to better explain things. However, some of it is also simply them not having enough time to sit with patients indefinitely answering questions.

The goal for most medical professionals nowadays is to get people back to normal life, including playing sport. I don't doubt many have a cautious outlook, but some of that is protecting themselves from litigation.

By all means get a second, and even third, opinion. Yes you may be better off trying to find a surgeon that has experience in athletic populations. However, I very much question anyone in this thread basically saying "ignore your surgeon, they probably don't understand", when there could be some very good reasons they are suggesting not to ski again.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
It's pretty common for people to misunderstand or not take everything in

Very true.
If possible, always take a friend in with you for the consultation: they will remember lots that you don't.
Take notes. And worth asking if you can record the consultation on your phone - many doctors will allow.
snow report
Ha, just noticed my first every thread linked above - 5 years ago when I was trying to decide whether to learn to ski 5 years after my hip replacement... well I have learned (after a fashion) and very glad I did.

@Jack777, as most people here have said it is worth fidning out if your surgeon thinks noone should ski after the op (there are absolutely loads of us who do) or whether it is a specific piece of advice for you. I had my operation young as a result of childhood displasia not being fixed early enough and knew that other than that my bones are healthy and the replacement was settled when I started to ski. Can you clarify whether your surgeon's advice was general or specific? and good luck!
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
... However, I very much question anyone in this thread basically saying "ignore your surgeon, they probably don't understand", when there could be some very good reasons they are suggesting not to ski again.

No, that's your precis and it's clearly not a reasonable summary: if anything taking more advice was the general suggestion.
ski holidays
Soozm wrote:
@Jack777, as most people here have said it is worth fidning out if your surgeon thinks noone should ski after the op (there are absolutely loads of us who do) or whether it is a specific piece of advice for you. I had my operation young as a result of childhood displasia not being fixed early enough and knew that other than that my bones are healthy and the replacement was settled when I started to ski. Can you clarify whether your surgeon's advice was general or specific?

Excellent question.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I can see where the surgeon is coming from. You ask her if you can ski again, she has no experience of skiing and has done no risk asessment on it so says "no". That way she is in the clear if anything should go wrong. When I asked my knee surgeon about skiing he said "no", all the surgery was for was to enable me to walk, not to improve activity levels.

I had similar. I was devastated. Went to my next physio appointment witb ski mojo details in hand. The physio was very positive about returning to skiing without a ski mojo, said, yes if I was racing or going off piste it would be different but normal piste stuff, I was rehabbing beautifully for it. She even suggested return to hockey might be possible but given it was that, that had left me non-weight bearing so long and did the damage, I didn't feel I could take the risk (playing matches it is much harder ti hold back than skiing recreationally)
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
... However, I very much question anyone in this thread basically saying "ignore your surgeon, they probably don't understand", when there could be some very good reasons they are suggesting not to ski again.

No, that's your precis and it's clearly not a reasonable summary: if anything taking more advice was the general suggestion.

"she has no experience of skiing and has done no risk asessment on it so says "no""

"I think the answer is probably yes, you can ski again"

Some huge assumptions! Best thing is to ask the surgeon why. They may have a very good reason e.g. osteoporosis. They may just not want to get your hopes up prior to surgery and will reassess afterwards. Sure get a second opinion. But generally, trying to outguess a surgeon before the operation has even happened and with no idea of the person's history is a recipe for disaster. N = 1 personal anecdotes are just that.
ski holidays
See a good physio. I had my op (full new joint) at 55 and skied 12 months later. Worrying for the 1st couple of days, but fab after that
ski holidays
A good friend of mine had both hips replaced when he was a relatively young man has happily learnt to ski and enjoys his ski holidays immensely. He had them both redone last year and, although he missed last season, we're off to Italy later this year. It can be done, there's lots of good advice above about making sure you understand why you've been given this advice as you may have specific issues that need to be addressed but don't hesitate to get a second opinion if you think they are just being cautious.
latest report
I have a good friend who had congenital hip problems leading to both being replaced in his 40s. He’s one of the best skiers I know, off-piste & touring mostly, he skis 60+ days a year.
ski holidays
Please, this advice is pointless at best, dangerous at worst. No one has access to the OP’s medical profile and can’t possibly know enough to give informed advice. It’s not responsible to say or infer that they’ll be OK because you don’t know their condition, aren’t qualified medically, and have no liability re the advice you provide.

To the OP I’d say that you can’t go on how good or bad other people’s cases have turned out because they are not you.

Certainly, get another medical opinion, or more, but what anonymous people on a public forum tell you can’t be given any weight, even if their intentions are well meant.
snow conditions
Try a sit-ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, Agreed, without knowing specifically why he was told not to ski, its impossible for us to suggest otherwise.

Full disclosure - I had a hip resurfacing 12 years ago and have been skiing a lot since. My surgeon (a skier) said at the time "no offpiste or bumps" (due to potential of hitting a rock/dislocation).

I need the other one done, but will probably still ski this season.
latest report
Contact Jonathan Bell, snowhead and orthopedic surgeon. I would imagine he'll look at your history and go "yes" or "absolutely not".
ski holidays
Most doctors will generally err on the side of caution. I had a shoulder surgery so I could continue my sport of choice (really didn't bother me otherwise). Got to the PT, told me never to do that sport again. Should have left at that point and found another PT. Been over a decade with no problems, except for other body parts.

Anyways, you should consult with doctors who are more sports oriented. General doctors are going to give you overly cautious advice in regards to things they don't understand. But also don't just shop around until you get the answer you want. Find someone who actually understands your hip problem and skiing and works with people that do these things.
snow conditions
The fast majority of hip replacements are due to arthritis. The OP will have been told by the medics if there were complications.......shirley
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, you’d think so…and don’t call me Shirley! NehNeh
snow report
I’m new to snowheads, has this post really only been posted within last 48 hours? (Is 9/12/23 @ 20:45). Wow! If so!
I’ve had a full hip replacement (at 46) and was diagnosed with young / early onset Parkinson’s 7 years earlier. I agree everyone is different, so get more medical opinions. I had mine done privately, courtesy of work’s health insurance, and had both yes you can and no you can’t ski again advice. I do think it does often depend on whether you’re speaking to a skier. You can guess which way I went! I’m now nearly caving in to old Parky but not quite yet! … This leads me to a slight tangent although May still help hips too (should I write a new post?): I’ve been told ski mojo can help me re Parkinson’s. I’d be very keen to hear from anyone that can give me advice or info. I know I can buy them nearby in Kendal but seems that I should try them on the slopes first. I know this is possible in France but what about Italy for eg?
Hoping this post is ok
snow report
@PlanetThorny,
Contact SkiMojo direct. I had a try-before-buy session at Chill Factore a few years ago. Needless to say I bought one and wouldn't be without it. Zero knee pain whilst skiing and able to ski for much longer than the OH too.

Intrigued though as to why it supposedly helps with Parkinson's ? Balance? Aiding of failing muscle action? As a physio please send the info you found as id like to take a look.
ski holidays
@PlanetThorny, welcome to SnowHeads
snow report
Quote:

Please, this advice is pointless at best, dangerous at worst. No one has access to the OP’s medical profile and can’t possibly know enough to give informed advice. It’s not responsible to say or infer that they’ll be OK because you don’t know their condition, aren’t qualified medically, and have no liability re the advice you provide.

To the OP I’d say that you can’t go on how good or bad other people’s cases have turned out because they are not you.

Exactly. Plus there is inherently a huge bias in the snowheads population. All those that went through a hip replacement and no longer were able (or so strongly advised against it) to ski again are likely not members, let alone regular posters, of a ski forum!

To try and say a definite yes/no before the op has even taken place just suggests you clearly have no experience in rehabilitation. The only guarantee is there are no definites.
snow conditions
Got a friend who's had 3x hip replacements, she still skis great, everyone's different but it skiing was my passion I'd be getting a 2nd opinion about having to give it up.
Maybe have a private assessment after your op and get that 2nd opinion away from the NHS?
ski holidays
To be fair the OP has already had a 2nd opinion but it would be worth questioning the 2 surgeons about why they are so concerned about dislocation given that many people can ski post hip replacement.
snow report
From memory there is a big difference between posterior and anterior surgery with regard to the risk of dislocation. If both NHS surgeons use posterior entry then they may view skiing as high risk. I think the OP should ask that question.

My surgeon and physio both said do all the rehab and skiing should be no problem, and nearly 5 years on no dislocations, and I teach on the dry slope several times a week all year round.

My experience of insurance post op is that the number of dislocations has an effect on the price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy