Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Great day at Flaine today, snow was still quite good up until after lunch and even then was still quite skiable. We weren't quite first in line when Lindars opened up but close and got a couple runs of fresh tracks on the Agate side, snow was very nice up there although for not being crowded it got tracked out incredibly quickly haha. Saw a very nice big cliff jump by someone a much better skier than myself. Very Happy

Snow on Pente a Jules and the couloir to skier's right was still very good and benefited from the windblown snow covering up tracks as the day went on. Lines on either side of Lucifer were good again today as well. Snow started getting heavy around 14:00 or so and we headed back to Keduze to download and get down to Carroz, and it's getting a bit hairy getting back to that lift already lol (although better than coming into Carroz 1500 right now). Lots of sand and bad sticky snow that feels like somebody's pulling a handbrake on your skis. By the time we got back to the village level it was truly warm, with no sign of stopping through the weekend.

Alas, no Gers.... I can't see it being that good even if they get it open at this point. Confused

@BoldSeagull, so glad you had a good time. Mephisto is great for working on technique when the snow is good!! Don't know how long you're here but you can also do laps on the top half of the bowl from the Desert Blanc or Diamont Noir lift and take Crystal / Serpentine or Mephisto Superieur / Diamont Traverse down. Superieur is technically a red but there's nothing bad on it, one steeper pitch where you have to take a right hand turn at the bottom but it's not crazy. I personally think the top pitch of Crystal is a touch easier than the top pitch of Serpentine, but you can also take Zeolite around the corner to avoid the first steep pitch of Serpentine. But if you hit it early and snow is decent it's not a huge step up from Mephisto Inf.

Top half of the bowl in Flaine will be the only real option through the weekend I imagine.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@coldrainsnow, have enjoyed reading your posts - have been to GM many times but not this season. Sounds like a decent end to the season there. I always liked skiing down Faust for final run that day (usually staying in Flaine forêt) and peeling right to get across to Forêt. But I guess Faust is suffering lower down on that steep pitch. Enjoy end of season!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coldrainsnow, wow what a day, my skiing came on ten-fold on Mephisto, think I then did Tanzanite to Serpentine. Was hairy at the bottom with the slushy moguls but actually did my confidence good generally handling them okay. Tomorrow is our last day and we’ll park in Flaine again. Definitely plan on doing the Serpentine from the top.

I owe you guys a beer really because we all had an unbelievable time, my 17 & 13 year old sons after 2 days skiing were confidently doing diablotin, lapiaz, Minos as well as others.

Going to hit it hard in the morning and see how we go. The tip about staying high sounds a good one as the morning wears on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got to top of Grandes platieres just before 10, saw the wee message on the white board - Gers will be closed for the day - and slunk off back to the park where my youngest had decided to snowboard for the day.
@coldrainsnow, sounds like you timed Lindars, I got to to Aup Veron, saw the queue headed elsewhere instead. Back up AV 30mins later and Lindars was closed so it can’t have been running long.

Watched some fools creep right out to the edge of that huge overhanging cornice to skiers right of Fred. Amazed they didn’t collapse it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@billb, thanks! We did a full run down Faust today for kicks, the last steep pitch is not icy at least right now haha!

@BoldSeagull, love to hear it, the bottom of serpentine was terrible in the afternoon today, so great job handling it. it's really good practice to ski on all different types of snow because every time you go out the snow will be a little different! have a blast tomorrow.

@dozofoz, omg, we saw that group out on the cornice too I think... 4 or 5 people with somebody clearly leading them in front that I certainly hope wasn't a guide. they were way too close for my comfort and then started taking turns down the slope that took them even closer to the edge. I assumed they knew they were on the cornice but then again it really didn't look like they did.....

I have a buddy in Lake Tahoe that took a massive fall off a cornice this season while he was skinning up a ridge. it was his lucky day because he got quite roughed up but is still alive and no serious trauma.

have fun everybody and be safe this weekend! Les Carroz closing early on Sunday night for the season. Sad but I'm not surprised given what we skied down today to get back to the lift. I promised the kids one good rock ski sesh, maybe this weekend is our chance.... NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied the face of Agate today in fresh tracks so not complaining. Given the miserable weather this winter, I am actually quite pleased with the quality of skiing this late in the season.

Gers unlikely to open - mechanical problems due to too much snow burying the cable on the steepest pitch. Go figure. Still check the app was the advise I was given by a loftier. Will ski La Clusaz today to take advantage of the free skiing with the annual pass. And Grand Pave (Montets) on Saturday… Hopefully being higher up at the latter will give us harder snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s not an exaggeration to say it’s bikini weather in Flaine village!

Top of Cristal holding up lovely though. Been concentrating on the desert blanc lift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought Cristal, Mephisto, Serpentine held up well from mid mountain upward until about midday when the slush line moved slowly up. Top was still good at 3pm back to desert blanc and up again, but getting down, I thought my thighs were going to explode with a 3rd of Serpentine left. 3.30pm I was enjoying a pint in what feels like 20deg sunshine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BoldSeagull, And it’s getting warmer tomorrow.

Flaine had its moments today but I think we had our last runs today. Will take teens tomorrow afternoon to the Les Carroz closing party/mini festival at Les Molliets by driving because after skiing down there today they all said - we are not skiing that muck again dad!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BoldSeagull, serious congrats on making so much progress this week. I was stoked to follow along with your skiing!!!

I was sunbathing and swimming in lac bleu today in Morillon, crazy how fast the heat came in. I guess it's time to shift gears and start running again..... sob sob....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@coldrainsnow, thanks, great help from you guys! Even did the reds calcite and diable instead of finishing Mephisto. Stacked it on zeolite though, the wind was blowing so hard up the slope that coming down to join Serpentine it was like it was level, I then went round the last bend, and as that got steep, the wind of course hit my back, I massively accelerated and with deepish snow just couldn’t take the speed out - thankfully no harm done, just the fact that the rest of the family watched from Serpentine!! Was my only real fall though, and ticked off most of the blues.

Definitely will think about Flaine next year, as an architect I do love the buildings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting final comment and professional perspective @BoldSeagull. the design has grown on me over the years. At first I just dismissed it like most people do as ‘ugly, non traditional etc etc’ but then taking it in from the top of Aup Veron and seeing it blend in so well with the surrounds I have come to appreciate how it’s actually pretty well thought out. The new, twin buildings right in front of Grand Platiers telecabin are pretty brutal up close but like the others, fit in as a whole.

Anyway, back to the skiing. Well done on your progress, bet you have legs of steel now after dealing with the slush. I am on a board and slush is relatively easy, but judging by the moaning of my kids slush on skis isn’t much chop.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived in Flaine. This evening.

Currently (not) chilling with beer on our balcony. Its 10:30pm. I am still in a t-shirt.

Bring on tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free shuttle service from Les Carroz from today to Tete des Saix chair lift. Looks like a lot of effort has gone into portet which still looked good as we drove passed yesterday afternoon. Marmottes looks like it must be closed. My teens made the journey back from Flaine to Les Carroz around 3.30pm yesterday and said it was okay perce neige to the Kedeuze gondola.

Looks like a decent snowfall is predicted Tuesday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah some good snow supposed to come in today, It was 24 degrees yesterday and we ate dinner outside in t-shirts under a sky full of Saharan sand. What a crazy time to be alive.

Unfortunately my wife is getting ACL surgery tomorrow, so I'll be out of the mix for this little dump. I hope it's good and dry up high and some people really enjoy it!!
latest report
@coldrainsnow, hope Mrs coldrainsnow’s op is quick and straightforward and she heals well. The warm weather chaos and the sirocco will make memories of this trip vivid!
ski holidays
Good luck to Mrs CRS.

Webcams showing heavy snow on LGM down to at least 1500m. Can't see the chairlift from the Desert Blanc cam, looks like most people still there are using Aup de Veran.
snow report
Thanks all! She's supposedly got one of the best docs around working on her tomorrow, and we've got an incredible physical therapist that is determined to get her back in action as soon as possible. It turns out if you have to get ACL reconstruction the Chamonix area is a decent place to do it. Laughing
latest report
Left Flaine at lunchtime today.

So ‘hot’ the past few days. But above mid station it was great snow coverage. Quiet pistes meant the reds stayed relatively unmogulled and were great for practising my piste carving (as a snowboarder). As per above, we chose to call it a day by 2.30pm for 3pm on very tired legs on the super soft run into resort .

My 11 year old improved his technique with a couple of ESF private lessons - and I think that is the end of group lessons for my family. 1:1 tuition really took him on a leap compared to a week of shared lessons. (He has been stuck in 2eme etoile and not sorting his parallel turns sufficiently to pass)

We had a choice to ski today - but as we hadn't yet bought a lift pass for the day, and our transfer bus out was at 1pm, we made a decision not to head up in the rain at 9am. Shortly after, it turned to sleet and then snow - so i was questioning my decision. Still I imagine, visibility was poor and it needed a few more hours of snowfall to make a material difference to the piste conditions. We just missed out on the ‘joy’ of skiing as the snow was falling.

We mitigated this by partaking of a ‘Breakfast Anglais’ in the Bistrot F. And very nice it was too.

The time spent also allowed me to turn around my fortunes in our running games of Uno. As our time away comes to an end, I lead my son 26
to 25. In your face, son! Very Happy
ski holidays
Oh, and i should say, as we left resort it was bucketing down well into a below Carroz. The trees were laden. Tomorrow might be a great day before the temps rise again and does it’s damage.
latest report
Easter is a bit later next year, schools break up on Friday 04 April. Tempted to book Flaine next year, looks like it is going to have decent skiing into the weekend.
snow conditions
@BoldSeagull, I mean historically Flaine has been pretty solid for piste skiing at Easter. This year and last have been pretty dismal snow years at low and mid elevations, and the pistes are still in great shape at Flaine. I do think this pattern is indicative of what's to come - as long as you aren't dead set on being able to ski Morillon or Les Carroz I would consider Flaine a pretty good option still for late season piste skiing.
ski holidays
Looked tip top yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5ipA3NikqO/
latest report
Still looking very good at the top of Flaine, looks like a dump of snow to see the season out next week. Any reports of what it’s like lower down toward the village?
latest report
I think at Easter you want to have access to a lot of slopes between 2000 and 2500 and ideally between 2500 and 3000. Even some resorts where even the resort is quite high don't actually have that. Aspect is also important, North facing ideal but on some slopes you will need the sun to soften up an overnight freeze also.

You may be safe if going DIY and have flights booked and can choose a nearby higher resort at last minute, but personally if booking in advance for a late Easter I'd aim for the big hitters (Cervinia, Val D'Isere / Tignes, Val Thorens, Obergurgl).
ski holidays
if you didn't already know everywhere bar Flaine is now closed as of yesterday evening.
snow report
flaine.com is showing 0 cm at 1600m (resort height).....
snow report
Morning was amazing today. Way better than expected given the temperatures.

Even Gers is open!!

New hidden gem is the Grenat/Dolomie piste (from Grand Vans to Vernant) - given that the villages are now shut , it’s a wonderful place to ski with very little traffic
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alexsas wrote:
Morning was amazing today. Way better than expected given the temperatures.

Even Gers is open!!

New hidden gem is the Grenat/Dolomie piste (from Grand Vans to Vernant) - given that the villages are now shut , it’s a wonderful place to ski with very little traffic

Already looking for a week from April 3rd or 4th 2025. Smile Eh oh!
ski holidays
Haha, headed up for a couple hours this morning with the kids home for another vacances and us all just kind of staring at each other. Wasn't planning on going until after this next storm, but it seemed like a better option than literally sitting in the house.

Flaine got about 5-10cm on top of a very hard and icy sahara sand crust. The skiing was pretty fun honestly, even off piste up high was okay. Down low is pretty bare in places but you can still get to the DMC without going over any rocks. Did see a big hole in the middle of the Lapiaz piste (which to be fair was technically closed but skiing beautifully). Only the DMC, Aup de Veran, and Desert Blanc lifts were open, and there was literally nobody there. DMC car to ourselves and no one waiting in line all afternoon (although DMC was crawling along at half speed and took forever to get up the mountain).

It looks like we'll get some more snow the next couple of days and I think there will be at least one day of fun skiing left Thursday or Friday. Wepowder inexplicably has 60cm coming in before Saturday mid-day - I'm not seeing that on any of the ensemble models, but if it happens I will be first in line!!!!!
snow conditions
In other news Mrs. CRS's ACL surgery went brilliantly, and the kiné yesterday told her that he's never seen a knee that looked as good 5 days post-op. So that's all good news, the challenge will be for her to keep resting and protect it until the graft solidifies, as it's feeling good and she's getting around quite well.
ski holidays
Been snowing and hailing all day at 1300 meters so I imagine Flaine is getting a proper dump. More expected tomorrow...
ski holidays
Wow, well done anyone getting this final week in. Snowing in Les Carroz village - could re-open the resort looking at the webcams!
snow conditions
crazy snow today.... visibility was bad for most of the day though... and it keeps snowing... Skullie snowHead
ski holidays
haha yeah @alexsas, we were up there from about noon to 1600 and it was still snowing when we left!! Leaving the house in a few minutes for another day today, I think it's gonna be a good one. storm skiing for sure, we couldn't see anything lol.

Snow was deep and heavy!!!!
latest report
Absolutely epic day yesterday at Flaine, so much fun and deep snow to play in. When they opened up Gers it felt like a locals only end of season party haha. Somebody said 50cm in Gers, I'd say sustained it was about 30 with some drifts getting much deeper. It skied great though!!!!

We got pretty near first lift up to Lindars and did laps on Agate until my little guy was warmed up, then moved over to Diamont Noir where the snow was great and nobody was on it, then over to Gers, then finished the day up with a run down Serpentine and Faust.

Absolutely no complaints except for the sloooooow running DMC lol, but at least you have the car to yourself.

Got a bit more snow last night it looks like, today will be skiing well too. We're gonna take a rest day and head up tomorrow for the final runs of the season. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Feel sorry for Les Carroz closing early, conditions look great now!
snow conditions
@BoldSeagull, yeah, I mean the coverage is decent but the base got nuked last weekend so I'm not actually sure much of it would have been groom-able and skiable, with the exception of Tete de Saix. The rando tracks did look good yesterday though. Plenty of good stuff in Flaine to keep people busy!!!
snow report
Welp, that's the end of the season for me!! Had a very fitting final day today. Headed up with my older son to bid adieu to Flaine. Vis was pretty bad through the morning but the snow was still good, it's stayed cold up there so it hasn't seen a melt/freeze cycle yet! Started with the line right under the Aup de Veran lift which was a good warm-up. Took the DMC up to the top (which was finally running at normal speed, yay!) and it was super fogged in up there. Did Cristal over to Desert Blanc, and then Lucifer, and then back to the bottom. Snow was great on the pistes and good off piste as well.

We were going to do more laps under Veran but saw that they were opening Gers and so made a bee-line for the bowl!!! They never opened it on Saturday so we were pleasantly surprised after dropping in to thick fog that there was 20 cm of Fresh throughout the whole thing, and really good snow - lighter than Friday for sure. We did our three favorite lines through the bowl and decided to call it a season, legs feeling thrashed and fog rolling in even heavier. Cruised Serpentine all the way back to the car.

That was day 48 for me this season and I couldn't be more stoked. Unfortunately my two year sabbatical is coming to an end this summer and I'll be heading back to California, where I can obviously ski Tahoe but it's a bit more than 30 minutes from the house. I'm pushing hard for the kids to come to university here, and for the older one it won't take much pushing at all, so here's hoping I can time some holidays back to the Alps in the future!!
latest report
Sounds like a good season for you @coldrainsnow despite the, at times, very unseasonal weather! Sounds like you were there last year too, how did the 2 seasons compare?

Only my first visit to the Grand Massif this year, and that only for a long weekend early Feb, but really enjoyed it despite the icy conditions. Some fantastic runs, enjoyed the Morillon and Flaine runs particularly as the home runs to Samoëns for us were some of the iciest at the time. Samoëns is a lovely village and would happily return so distinctly jealous of you having had a whole season out there in the area Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy