Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, rant fully justified by the sounds of it. There were several blue light ambulances from up here this evening. Very late on too, almost dark.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First fresh snow for nearly 4 weeks, very welcome, a nice top-up on a solid base Very Happy

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 07.17.33 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, thanks for showing us around!

Snowing heavily down to the valley since late afternoon, powder day tomorrow!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks pretty decent.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crowds are horrendous. Wish we'd done &joy but queue is quite long there too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cant even get served with a coffee at Halte.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First lifts from Pointless Mk 2 and you have to question what's the point as when you get out none of the other lifts are open!

Then ski down to Vallons and waited there for 15 mins for that to feckin open!

At least with &Joy we stayed ahead of the crowds, though KenX and I were seriously questioning the snow-pack as the Vallons off-piste was not easy at all on our legs.

We passed on another lap of Vallons and made our way over to Gauthier with Ken questioning whether it was really worth it as snow was no where near as good as we'd hoped for after last evening's 10cm+ in the valley would suggest.

But I nagged him to put the skins on as Eychauda drag was closed and then we'd have better options, especially as there was another group with a similar objective.

But their plan was to ski off the back to Les Combes, which is always a good itinerary whereas I had something else in mind.

Our first line we had to wait for the whispy cloud to drift away, and viz was a tad challenging with me stacking it on something very mellow as snow pack suddenly changed.

Then it was back on with the skins and climb up towards the old Balme hut. As we were nearing the top so a few groups came over having climbed up from the Vallons side, but there was enough for everyone and we were better placed as we'd sussed what lines to ski on the way up.

So some classic Serre Che slack country though with the amount of groups & guides/instructors a lot will be skied out, so hopefully the snow on Friday will arrive as the hordes all leave Very Happy

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, enjoy it if it happens, we'll be heading back to the UK until March.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're bored in the office, at home and like looking at webcams, then the webcam is moving around the garden where we have a reasonable snow-fall going on, which you always know is kinda good when you've been clearing the terrace/van and 20mins later there's a good covering again, and the forecast is looking like it should snow most of the day, and if it continues at this rate ?

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Hopefully this will work to our favour as many will be going back now as the holidays are coming to an end, though I suspect many now will be curtailing their plans of leaving a day early, or at the end of the day with the current conditions.

It was indeed good to see Pointless working, but we now refer to it as Pointless Mk 2 as if you get the first lift up, and get out at 09:10 all the surrounding drags don't seem to be opening until 09:30 and the Vallons at 09:15 rolling eyes

Covid back amongst us, I tested positive, announced that and now a few others have come clean Laughing

Good news is that it seems to knock you for 24hrs or so, though at the early stages you just think it's a bad cold. If it were that bad I wouldn't be clearing the terrace etc
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, Send me your Style Altitude logo file and I'll make you a "Snow accumulation" board for your Garden..
Similar to several resorts including Verbier..
I'm driving out on the 20th and as you pointed out, I'm bored and easily distracted at work and checking weather and webcams frequently.
Luckily I'm a sign maker not a surgeon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely the best day of the season to date, light, boot-deep pow in the trees, skied until 14:30 and tired legs dictated our return, still snowing now at 16:40 Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX wrote:
......tired legs dictated our return.....

So Adrian ripped your legs off then Laughing

Just back from walking Mutley and the roads do seem quiet, he loved the deep snow going berserk on numerous occasions.

Still lightly snowing. I'd estimate a good 30+ in the valley, though has consolidated very fast with the +temps so could be in the 40's especially up the hill.

And looks like the XC will finally be opening again in the valley.

Interesting looking back over their FB posts of the last couple of days.

Two days ago

hello to all!!!
Despite a couple of disturbed days, there is not enough snow to open even a small loop in the valley, we need at least 50 cm of measured snow.
Thank you for your understanding.
We'll see the next couple of days depending on future precipitation.

And their most recent from a couple of hours ago.

So happy with all this snow.
Attention, attention!! ️Important information: with the amount of snow that fell today, the northern site in the Serre Chevalier Valley will reopen as of tomorrow Saturday 06/01/2024 at 12pm.
The opening will be in a first partial time.
We will provide you with more information tomorrow afternoon...
Spread the word around!!!

And following on from a post in the Armageddon thread by @Hells Bells, where Helen commented that the snow had more or less stopped in Monetier, to which I responded that it was still snowing reasonably heavy here; and as I've always been a great protagonist of how weather is so localised in the mountains from one valley to the next, I took a look at the real-time precipitation radar and you can see the difference, plus would also makes sense as I was looking at webcams in the Queyras and didn't seem to be snowing that much there where you would expect such as St Veran but then it was very localised over Aiguilles.

As for tomorrow, I might go explore a route I've been promising myself, especially as I'm probably Mr Covid still, to the right of the old climbing area at La Pantalon just outside Monetier as hopefully enough snow cover, only issue was that I heard a pack of wolves had been sighted there, but hopefully, they're in the gorge just there and I'll be going out in more open terrain.

FatMap route plan Tête Noire

https://fatmap.com/routeid/3580787/tete-noire?fmid=cp

And the whole wolves thing here in the Valley is now not just the occasional sighting of one or two, but packs of 5+ as a mate has recorded on his infra-red motion detection cams.

And would make sense as it's on the South side of the Valley where I've often see the most wildlife, deer, mouflon, and boar.

Mmmm forecast might mean change of plan and touring now in the forest with a couple of Swedes, one who is doing the SkiMo race in Monetier on Sunday rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, are you based in Briancon itself?
@Hells Bells, this round of snow makes it a bit more likely that we’ll make it to SC toward the end of the month. I might have to get your friend’s contact for the flat in Briancon. Or do I want to stay in one of the other villages?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen far more knowledgeable than me. Personally I wouldn’t stay in briancon - the porel gondola is slow. I’ve atayed ont he development where Helen’s place is in Monetier and that is lovely and convenient. Try eurekaski.
snow conditions
@sbooker, Chantemerle or Villeneuve are far more practical for access to the ski lifts!
ski holidays
@sbooker, contact Eurekaski, she looks after apartments in both my residence and her own apartments in Briancon.
latest report
@sbooker, really does depend how you're traveling to here?
If you have a car then it doesn't really matter where you stay as we all drive to the various lifts, though do not obviously drive to Briancon or for even that matter Chantemerle as parking more difficult, so we often meet at Monetier, Pointless or Casse du Boeuf.
Another contact for places to stay is Tina at Skiers Lodge in Le Bez as she has hotel Gîte rooms and apartments.

So weather looks better than forecast so we might well attempt that new route if it stays clear.

Road also looks clear, but it's also the volume of traffic that will be the issue today.

And @sbooker, where we are exactly is on a link on our weather webcam page, basically opposite the new Pointless lift, on the better (sunnier), South side of the road Smile

https://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

ski holidays
Grrrrrrrrr feckin wind's kicking in Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Hello all wonder if I could please ask for some advice from locals on the ground? We are coming to SC on 25 Jan for a week and are looking to buy ski passes for our family - 6 of us (4 "kids" aged between 22 and 19). Have been looking at a package which is for 5 days something called OU!K (I think) which seems to offer decent discounts. Is this for the full area pass I wonder though? Afraid I am not adept at online bookings so am somewhat confused!

Many thanks in advance
snow report
@Rich71, I'm not 100%sure about OU!K though I do see many FaceBook posts by people trying to get a group together. In fact I would have thought it would be ideal for those coming here on the Off-Piste Bash?
I'm also pretty sure it covers the whole valley but doubt it would have &Joy.

Sure some others will be along who might know more.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

It was indeed good to see Pointless working, but we now refer to it as Pointless Mk 2 as if you get the first lift up, and get out at 09:10 all the surrounding drags don't seem to be opening until 09:30 and the Vallons at 09:15 rolling eyes

Also, won't the Méa drag be carnage, queue-wise? It's the most obvious way out of the area, but it has maybe 1/5 the capacity of the gondola, and it was already prone to some queues. Skiing down to (queue-free) Crêtes works as well, but Crêtes is rough for beginners, and the piste map does a terrible job of telling you where Crêtes goes.
And I shudder about the crowds on the tiny zig-zag slope beneath the old Fréjus gondola... won't be pretty!
snow report
@Weathercam, we're driving. Collecting a car in Milan.

To everyone who answered my questions. Thanks.
Which village aside from Briancon has the most restaurants and pubs?
snow report
@balso, nail on the head there Very Happy

@sbooker, interesting question, all three villages have their USP's - but good bars, as in a lively Apres Ski are now nigh on non-existent as the Grote and the Station are now long gone.

Monetier now has a good selection of restaurants & a few bars.

Villeneuve / La Salle probably has more, and in terms of bars, there's the Chazelet at the foot of the piste, which can be lively and in High season can get an Apres scene going and then goes quiet from 18:00 onwards and then opens up again as a big party Club venue 22:00 onwards.

And then there's the 1420 bar, very good for pre-dinner drinks and tapas can get busy in High Season, then like the Chaz goes quiet for a while and then becomes a party bar 22:00 onwards. There are a few other bars, but really not that many given how many people visit, but there are plenty of restos.

Chantmerle has a couple of big bars, the Sisters has music as well as the Sports bar, then there are other bars and a few restos, basically, you can't go too wrong with anywhere, especially as there's a good bus service along the valley right through to around 22:30.

If you're here when the rugby is on then the 1420 is a good venue to watch the games and there can be a great atmosphere.

But Serre Che is definitely not a party town - and you will not find crazy-packed bars at 17:00 like elsewhere in the Alps!

As for conditions, I've not been up the hill since the snowfall but know it's very quiet now, and snow is excellent, though strong winds of the last couple of days have again done for off-piste at altitude.

We were ski touring Saturday and we turned around as snow-pack was not brilliant, which was surprising, plus the Swede I was with was doing the Ski-Mo race in Monetier the next day.

Yesterday finally went Cross Country though conditions were grim as the wind had blown snow over the piste in many places.

Now the British Army XC guys are here hoping that more pistes will be opened up.

And weather for this week looks a tad inclement at times, with the best (sunshine) towards the end of the week.

Just waiting for the Nordic update to see if they've posted from here (Pointless) yet.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, thanks. Good info.

We’re not huge apres people to be honest. A perfect day is an early start. Ski until lunch. About 45 minutes for lunch and ski until about 4pm. We generally don’t do day time drinking* so we’ll shower and change and then go out for a couple of pre-dinner drinks before a restaurant dinner. Then a relatively early night to do it all again the next day.

I like the sound of the pub with the rugby. We also enjoy a live musician with the pre dinner drinks.

Your village has the guides office so that’s appealing. I’m keen on doing a couple of mornings (or even full days) if the conditions are ok. I’m sure they’ll cater to wannabe Aussies. Laughing

*We’re going to St Anton and Saalbach later in the trip so will likely make an exception on the partying so we can experience the famed Austrian bedlam at apres time.
ski holidays
@sbooker, when are you actually out here?

Opted for cross country today as have hardly done any this season as pistes have been closed for the past three or so weeks, and with the OH being off-games have skied here with one daughter more so I have not gone around to La Clarée, Val-des-Prés, Névache where the XC pistes have been open and in good condition.

Today was the first day that the piste has been open from Pointless though was well skied by those from the British Army staying near here as they made their way up to the Stade for their event, which had a double impact, in that the piste from Guibertes was closed and non-competitors having to use the pedestrian track from Guibertes to Monetier, combine that with temps a good few degrees above zero and the piste was not in great condition, very sticky --> collante.

Downhill pistes looked bizarrely quiet and the bottom of Monetier was deserted as I skied through.

And one bit of commercial gossip as it were, all the Moto Neige (snow-mobiles) are no longer based at Pointless, and they had a good trade/operation with trips at night up to the Pi Mai for dinner, so that must be a huge loss for the Pi Mai etc

Weather is very cold for the next few days evidently and light snow showers.
ski holidays
The pistes were in fabulous condition today with next to nobody on them, the weather looked iffy from the valley, but once up, there was good enough viz, so different to a week ago, one of the busiest Xmas/New Years I've experienced!
And it's snowing again Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, the 25th of this month. We’ll leave it until just before to make a call. If conditions are better in the north further well may go to that area but will avoid the mega resorts in the Tarantaise. I’m really hoping conditions are good in Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing quite hard now, might have to start clearing the terrace soon Very Happy
ski holidays
Forecast was for 1cm this morning, already 15cm on the slopes when I came down at 13:00 and still snowing!
Taking LynnX for a Huskie dog sled ride in the morning (Xmas present) should be beautiful up the Vallée de la Clarée, hope to get some pics
ski holidays
@KenX, watch out for the flying poo-poo off the huskies Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Hells Bells, have heard about this, so wearing old stuff just in case, will report back later!!!
snow report
@KenX, it was OK when we did it, but another sled were covered.
latest report
Just got back, we were driving the sleds, so were stood up and safe from flying poo!
Safe that is until LynnX fell off Laughing
snow report
@KenX, ah yes, I think it was the guy sitting in it that got hit. Hope Lynn isn't hurt.
snow report
She's fine, waiting on pics
snow report
Fantastic day, especially as dog-lovers! They have around 70 dogs, mostly Greenland Huskies, but also Malamutes and Siberian Huskies, the noise when they realise they're about to go for a run is unbelievable!!!!!

Image by Ken Reeve, on Flickr

Image by Ken Reeve, on Flickr

1704957656246 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr

1704957656239 by Ken Reeve, on Flickr
snow report
@Kenx, Looks great. Is this something that needs booking up well in advance? Will be in the valley from 20th with parents who will not be skiing all week so this would be great. They did do a few days sledding in Norway or Sweden a few years ago so they would love this for sure. How long were you out for?
ski holidays
@Thick As, shouldn't have thought they'll be too busy in January, they're on latriburando.com, out for around an hour plus another hour of petting the dogs!!!
snow report
I’m after some advice on Serre Cheavlier please. I’m looking to book a late trip for Feb half term for our family of 5. My wife’s a very nervous skier and my 11 year old has fallen badly on both of the last two trips (Val Thorens) which led to her and my wife’s skiing ending after a few days each time.

Firstly, can anyone recommend the best runs/routes to take them to and keep them to on the first day or two to try to build confidence? I’ve read conflicting reports about some of the greens being hard work.

Secondly, ski rental prices look crazy. Is this reflective of it being half term or can anyone suggest somewhere reasonable to go for them? We’ll be staying in Chantemerle.

Thirdly, can anyone cast any opinions on Residence Lagrange Rocher Blanc? I’ve provisionally booked it but it’s still cancelable, options are limited due to it being half term but we’re still open to going elsewhere if Serre Chevalier won’t be suitable to two nervous skiers.

Thank you in advance!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy