Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling by train to French ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Just got an email saying my Eurostar into Paris will arrive later than initially planned - those who've done it before, is 43 minutes enough to do Gare du Nord - Gare de Lyon? Assuming I'm buying metro tickets on the Eurostar to minimise stopping
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@michebiche, Should be fine, it's only 2 stops I believe
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@michebiche, last time I did it it took 30 mins platform to platform, so you should be okay. If you can't get tickets on the Eurostar for any reason, I recall that there are some ticket machines at GdN a bit further along than the first (probably busy) ones.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@michebiche, it should be possible but will be a bit nerve racking.

I would see the staff on your eurostar train and get the form from them that states that your train was late. Then if you end up missing your planned TGV, go to the ticket office with your form (between hall 2 and 3 at Gare de Lyon as i recall). We found the staff there very helpful and they put us on the next train, which as it turned out was 2 to 3 hours later. Admittedly this was at a very busy time of the year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, thanks both. Will cross all fingers and toes that it doesn't arrive much later than that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had to go to London last week and was sitting on the train grumbling with my friend about how expensive it was. I dug out the Easyjet app to show it cost half the price to fly to Geneva from Birmingham than get the train to London. It makes me cry that the train is so expensive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, can't help you with Birmingham - London but booking early I got £168pp return London-Geneva with a cheeky upgrade to 1st on the Paris-Geneva leg (otherwise would have been more like £130). Factoring in airport transfers, ski carriage etc I don't think that's bad at all. It is definitely more legwork though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@michebiche, The flight to Genva was £77 return but as you say we will have to add luggage to that. I really don't understand why flying is so cheep and the train so expensive. I do use the train to get from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice, however. French trains are not as bad as UK ones.

I have to go to Glasgow in January. Flying £56 return, train £170. I just don't see why.

ps the return to London was £155 but I got some of that back because they cancelled the train.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, There's a good article here:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/these-high-speed-trains-are-better-than-planes-this-is-why/ss-AA1c9scn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2c91770778464fad8142721e7a28fad9&ei=46#image=1

The UK comes out particularly badly! Other countries appear to 'get it' about train travel: why can't we? (rhetorical - I know exactly why, and who is lobbying our parliament).

Although, if you plan (and there's the rub_) and have a little time capacity, it is possible to get for example to GVA airport from St Pancras more cheaply than EasyJet from a LON airport (with their baggage and skis and plus plus plus expenses). Admittedly, I have added in my local station CIV return train ticket, and compared it with train to/ taxi to / parking at Heathrow or Luton or Stanstead, but it really can work out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll, I always decline the plus plus, such as carry on bag, priority boarding, carry one bag, cup of tea etc. which actually saves a lot of money. Often it's just one big bag in the hold for my wife and me as I leave a lot of ski equipment in Les Arcs. However, one problem with flying that doesn't apply to the trains is that they cut back (or close) the schedule towards the end of the season.

I actually enjoy travelling my train (and public transport, trams, busses, metro etc.) I just wish they could compete with the airlines on price.

Sadly I see HS2 as a complete and utter disaster. It doesn't even connect to the rest of the rail network with a 20 minute walk between New Street and Curzon Street stations I just cannot see anyone using it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Sadly I see HS2 as a complete and utter disaster. It doesn't even connect to the rest of the rail network with a 20 minute walk between New Street and Curzon Street stations I just cannot see anyone using it.

+1

Or indeed redefining Central London 7 miles to the West of its current position. Still, it seems just by wishing hard enough these days, anything can be deemed possible. [/politics]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Checked this morning and still nothing available on the SNCF website for sale after 24th of March
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently sitting in Lille, making the transfer to/from the Eurostar to Bourg. A number of people taking photos and speaking into machinery, guessing the Man in Seat 61, Snowcarbon et al making the first trip...
Easy to get from one train to the other: adjacent platforms. They do try to board you early-ish -theres 60 mins between arrival and departure but they wanted everyone on after 30. Although they've dedicated some seats for luggage it is very full, and loading early seems a good idea!

Discussion in the carriage indicates all travellers started from London. Had wondered if they may load some from Brussels. Or maybe it 8s just our carriage.

Mrs Roll went out of the station, but I stayed 9n the platform with the luggage.

Am told there is an early morning Bourg direct train, so may be worth coming over the night before and spend the evening exploring Lillie.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Checked this morning and still nothing available on the SNCF website for sale after 24th of March

I thought SNCF only release tickets 3 months before the journey. Has that changed recently?

@Arctic Roll, My wife informs me that there are excellent restaurants in Lille and the surrounding area. She suggest we go for a weekend - just to eat Puzzled Have a good journey. The resort looks to be in fantastic condition on the livecams.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a warning that there are still train service disruptions (with intermittent bus transfers) between Albertville and Moutier, due to track flooding last weekend. I would advise you to check https://www.sncf.com/en/stations/moutiers-salins-brides-les-bains/OCE87741728/departures-arrivals/gl/arrivals for details.
latest report
Ah rats
"Due to technical issues" we're stuck at Aix le Bains for "at least an hour". . At least they pulled into a station so you can get out and, depending on preferences, have a walk around or a smoke.

And it was all going so well...
snow conditions
Outbound all worked fine for us yesterday (Friday). Left York at 07:02, and in chalet in Plagne 1800 by 20:40 as expected
snow report
A heads up if anyone is doing the Paris transfer tomorrow (potentially other weekends too), the RER D isn't running between gare du Nord and gare de Lyon.

You'll just need to get the line B one stop to Châtelet les Halles and then swap to line A for one stop after. It's easy enough.

Using the IDFM app worked fine for tickets on my android phone, but apparently iPhones still don't work properly for this. Seems needlessly complex Vs the London underground tbh.

3h delays started at Aix and continued to moutiers and onwards for my TGV. The red thalys/Eurostar train from Lille pulled into the same station as us whilst we both had to wait. Missed the shops being open for groceries and a ski wax, ah well.
snow report
We arrived (as above on the red thalys /Eurostar) 1 HR 55min late into Bourg. Just shy of the 2hr additional compensation level . Bah.

Even though the return journey is allegedly going to do customs at Lille, it pulled into the old Eurostar platform : meaning you can't get directly to the funicular but have to exit at the front.
PITA.

However at that stage we were tired and hungry , so went for a pizza in Bourg and got them to call us a taxi. Sometimes you just need to get there.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, that's a bummer being just shy of the next tier!

If anyone else was on the delayed TGV, the form to fill out online is a piece of cake. It will get you 50% of the fare back.
ski holidays
Can you get and food and drink on the trains ( we are going via Paris ) ?
snow report
The TGV Inoui trains have a bar car with food and drinks. It's still best to buy at the station if you have time - there is a Pret at Gare de Lyon, for example, and several other options.
Ouigo trains have nothing (but I don't think they serve the ski resorts?). Overnight trains (e.g. to Briançon/Serre Chevalier) provide water and have some things you can order in advance (last resort only).
ski holidays
Hello, making vague plans for a trip to France by train next New Year and checked out the London International CIV tickets. Obviously the prices will change between now and then but can someone explain how their pricing works please? I ran a quote on brfares.com and got £83 walk up price and 10p advanced purchase, which seems bonkers. I can’t figure out how to see a return. Am I being a bit daft and missing something?
ski holidays
@MotownJunk, I've never found a way of checking the prices of CIV tickets online. As you can't buy them online, my guess is that site doesn't have any data to base its estimates on. From my local station, the return CIV fare is very similar price to an off peak return.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666 That makes sense, thanks… was worried I’d missed something really obvious!
snow report
@balso, There is a daily ouigo train from Paris to Lyon, Grenoble, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime and Bourg St Maurice from 15th December to 24th March but as you say they don't have a food service on board.

I've also just discovered since looking at the ouigo site that they will be extending the Paris to Montpelier service to Perpignan, calling at Agde, so good news for us if we fancy a trip up to Paris in summer.
snow conditions
Still nothing on the SNCF website for after 24th of March, anyone any idea when the later trains will be released?
latest report
wills_h wrote:
Still nothing on the SNCF website for after 24th of March, anyone any idea when the later trains will be released?

Snowcarbon reckons 24th Jan.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, Thank you, appreciate the help Smile
latest report
Has anyone had any luck receiving a partial refund for delayed TGVs (or other SNCF service) using their g30 form? Submitted it on the 17th of Dec and they sent a prompt email saying it was received but nowt since.
ski holidays
Snowcarbon said that trains after 24th March can be booked from 6am French time on 24th Jan, so I have my alarm set for 04h45 UK time! It does seem that the timetable for direct trains to Chambery / Moutiers and Bourg are much reduced after 24th March.
latest report
The_Gate wrote:
Snowcarbon said that trains after 24th March can be booked from 6am French time on 24th Jan, so I have my alarm set for 04h45 UK time! It does seem that the timetable for direct trains to Chambery / Moutiers and Bourg are much reduced after 24th March.

Fab! Thank you. We go out on the 30th. Got our Eurostar booked but I'm not seeing any direct to Bourg ones from Paris on thar date ar the moment.
latest report
Download the SNCF connect app - i find it very quick to check. It suggests that more trains may be available soon, but seems to show all of the trains that are currently scheduled
ski holidays
I'm using the Rail Planner app as that one seems to show a better selection from St Pancras. But still nothing direct from Paris to BSM.
ski holidays
Ruswit wrote:
Has anyone had any luck receiving a partial refund for delayed TGVs (or other SNCF service) using their g30 form? Submitted it on the 17th of Dec and they sent a prompt email saying it was received but nowt since.

Took nearly 4 months and an email complaint to get a refund for a tgv that was cancelled last year so you will need to persevere and contact them again - you should have had a reference number on the acknowledgement you can refer them to.
latest report
andmelffion wrote:
Ruswit wrote:

Took nearly 4 months and an email complaint to get a refund for a tgv that was cancelled last year so you will need to persevere and contact them again - you should have had a reference number on the acknowledgement you can refer them to.

Hopefully I have more luck! Do you still have the contact email you used to get in touch with them? Their website keeps pushing me to use a chat bot which just tells me to respond to the email containing my reference number, but it's a "noreply@" email so it just bounces back.

Someone did get back to me on their FB page saying it can take 20 odd working days, but I can't find an email listed, just a postal address and french phone number.
snow report
Ruswit wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
Ruswit wrote:

Hopefully I have more luck! Do you still have the contact email you used to get in touch with them? Their website keeps pushing me to use a chat bot which just tells me to respond to the email containing my reference number, but it's a "noreply@" email so it just bounces back.

Someone did get back to me on their FB page saying it can take 20 odd working days, but I can't find an email listed, just a postal address and french phone number.

Try customerservice@connect.sncf
latest report
Today’s the day!!! And can I say thanks to this thread, parked at Stratford international yesterday for £61.60, needed an extra day as we went to the theatre last night Very Happy and a quick 9 min train direct to St Pancras international. Brill hack thanks

Stayed at Kings Criss premier inn, was in fact last years booking that was postponed a load of times, and even refunded by Travelski as they moved the trains last year to Friday eve. So basically free Very Happy

From waking up at 5.05, leaving 5.12 and into the queue 8 mins!!

Buying the first coffee post passport control 39 mins after I got out of bed, let’s hope this is the perfect start to a perfect week.
ski holidays
An update on buying tickets to get across Paris. I'll also edit the opening post when I get a chance.

You can still buy the little paper tickets for the Paris Metro on the Eurostar at the moment but they are only in use until this summer. As I had trouble with the paper tickets not always working last year, I decided I'd figure out the new system and it proved to be really straightforward.

The paper tickets have been replaced by the Navigo Easy card. This is a card that you preload with T+ tickets for journeys.

The Navigo Easy card itself costs €2. You can buy it from clearly labelled machines in the Gare du Nord Subway area. (From our experience, the machines that sell the cards themselves are the ones without queues - the other machines are for topping up the card.) You can change the machine language to English which makes things a bit more straightforward. First select how many Navigo Easy cards you want to buy and then you can select how many T+ trips you want loaded on each. One T+ covers one trip from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon. If you're going to be making lots of journeys you can load it with a carnet of 10 T+ trips at a discounted price.

The Navigo Easy card scans on a reader at the gates and you can see how many T+ you have left.
latest report
The thing with the Navigo card is it’s a bit old school like the London Oyster card. As an occasional user it’s more £. Most cities use a tap with a debit card. We got a carnet this time as will need it later in May
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy