Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling by train to French ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Because of the recent floods there aren't any trains between Albertville and Bourg St Maurice until the 8th of December.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Shakira, Thanks for that, I had been told tickets are released 3 months in advance, I'll know not to get too worried if they are not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There will be bus replacements for the trains between Albertville and Bourg St Maurice until the 8th of December.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TGV tickets for March went on sale 15th of Nov and by 8am GMT the SNCF site was crashing, couldn't load a basket and prices going up and up.

Now most of the trains are booked up and you are looking at £400 for a return journey sadly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ruswit, When I search to go out on March 30th it says they don't know the schedules that far in advance?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It looks as though some indirect trains are now available but nothing direct. It also says more trains will be announced soon? Not ideal!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wills_h, on 15th November you could then book tickets out to 24th March
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy1234, that explains it Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wills_h, Sorry I forgot the last few days were on the later release NehNeh

If the late March release of tickets is as manic as the ones released on 15th Nov I would definitely be up early in the morning to book them.

Even at 7am UK things were more expensive than I was anticipating (around £100 per leg on the TGV) and by the time my friends had responded saying they were happy to pay £100 more than expected, they'd gone up again and websites were crashing all over.

I'm not sure specifically what time they will go on sale, but given that France is an hour ahead, "early" in the UK will be a more reasonable hour there and might have more people awake and rushing to buy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure if it's still the case, but SNCF tickets used to appear online at midnight French time. Booking sleeper trains years ago I would check at 11pm UK time, and found tickets would be a lot more expensive by 7am next morning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I checked before I went to bed at around midnight UK time and they weren't available at that point (1 am French).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So will it be the 15th of Dec that tickets for the end of March and the majority of April get released do you think?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ruswit wrote:
TGV tickets for March went on sale 15th of Nov and by 8am GMT the SNCF site was crashing, couldn't load a basket and prices going up and up.

Now most of the trains are booked up and you are looking at £400 for a return journey sadly.

You'll never be looking at £400 for a return journey (even 1st Class) at weekends. The Carte Avantage brings it down significantly below that.

If you've not already bought Eurostar tickets, use of an Interrail pass would almost certainly save you money in this case.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 20-11-23 15:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something I also discovered recently is that there are group fares on SNCF trains that can be very cost-effective.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666, I'm booking for 2 adults and three kids aged 5,6 and 8 return from Paris to Bourg. It'll most likely be the only trip that I book this year on French rail, do you think it's worth getting one of the advantage cards and if so how do I go about getting one please?
snow report
Answering your questions in turn:
- not sure
- see first post in thread

In your case, I'd guess using Interrail would likely have worked out well overall. Again, see first post in thread for why.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, ah, thank you. Yes should have looked through the prior messages a bit more carefully.
snow report
Jesus Christ, all tickets for Feb 10th are already gone?! Goddamn, so much for my vacation that week.
latest report
@Glowtape, that's UK half term AND French holidays too. Not likely to offer any bargains.....
snow conditions
Meh, I guess I gotta cross my fingers that some people cancel their tickets before my cancellation period for the hotel ends. According to the French calendar, only one region is in holiday that week, instead of typically two. :[

--edit: News articles in France say the SNCF released "une grosse partie des billets", i.e. a large part of the tickets, so hopefully not everything's sold out yet.
snow report
Ruswit wrote:
...Now most of the trains are booked up and you are looking at £400 for a return journey sadly.
From London, or from Paris? I just looked at standard Paris to Moutiers-Salins... for 9-16 March. Direct services are around €130 / 190 each way, but indirect via Lyons only around €80
latest report
Is there something you need to do to carnet tickets to get them to work? I bought a pack of 5 on the Eurostar, and none of them let me through any barrier I tried them in.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Ruswit wrote:
...Now most of the trains are booked up and you are looking at £400 for a return journey sadly.
From London, or from Paris? I just looked at standard Paris to Moutiers-Salins... for 9-16 March. Direct services are around €130 / 190 each way, but indirect via Lyons only around €80

Seems to be filling up already, too. I threw the towel on my current plans and rebooked things, and couldn't get a single seat in 1st class on that route on March 9th.
ski holidays
Quote:

According to the French calendar, only one region is in holiday that week

But it's Paris! And UK half term too. Almost certainly the most manic week of the year in French resorts.
snow report
@joffy69,
Quote:

Is there something you need to do to carnet tickets to get them to work? I bought a pack of 5 on the Eurostar, and none of them let me through any barrier I tried them in.

You need to be careful where you put those tickets as they seem to be easily corrupted by proximity to credit cards or wallets with a magnetic closure, we had that trouble happen to us when we started using the RER. I think that's one of the reasons they are being phased out, which has now been put back to after the 2024 Paris Olympics.
snow report
@ecureuil, From London.

Date dependant, you can do the journey from London to Moutiers for under £250 with the SNCF Card but you'd get in so late that you'd need to pay for a taxi up the mountain instead of a local coach/bus service. Based on the current French train availability you'd wait 2-3h in Paris for a train that includes a transfer at Lyon. This is also on the cheapest Eurostar at 6am and you'd arrive into Moutiers just gone 6pm, so quite a slog when you include arriving with a bit of time in St. Pancras & 30 - 60 minutes to get to your resort.

If you pay for a later Eurostar the price goes up around £40 but you don't have to wait as long in Paris - personal preference really.

The return trains also leave around 6am so you would likely need to pay for a taxi back to the station which does add a decent whack to the overall journey cost depending on the number of people in your group.

The £400 fee was what Eurostar was quoting me for their single ticket (still 2 trains), which probably (?) can't benefit from the SNCF card. These seem to be fully booked for some Saturdays in March.

All direct trains that are feasible with a same day Eurostar seem to be fully booked on my planned dates, perhaps others will have more luck with their dates. Will be more prepared next year hopefully!
latest report
@Ruswit, £400 is ridiculous, and far more than doing the journey using an Interrail pass.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Ruswit, £400 is ridiculous, and far more than doing the journey using an Interrail pass.

I couldn't agree more regarding the £400 price, especially when Eurostar were offering £200 return tickets (to the alps) up until 04th Feb with a change at Lille. Unfortunately, there are no TGVs available on Sat 2nd March for interrail tickets, and very few available through normal means of purchasing.

At least I now know there are more options eg. interrail pass + SNCF cards for next year - that's the silver lining!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ruswit, I'm glad to hear the info here has been of use. I'll try and update the opening couple of posts with additional info as I learn it.
snow report
Just got this re. Eurostar, may be helpful to some:

Quote:
Book Eurostar tickets on the Uber app between November 21-27 for travels between 3 January and 16 March 2024 and get tickets from just £39 each way!* (Yes, we said £39!)

And more details/T&Cs here: https://messages.uber.com/public/messages/79f346e1-2090-4ef3-9425-a195444c89e1
ski holidays
We've taken the plunge and bought the Interrail pass. It's coming in a similar cost to driving as we stop about 5 hours from Calais in both directions, so factored that cost in too (accommodation plus dinner etc that evening).

We're planning to do the outbound trip in one go (we're an hour on the train from London), and use the extra travel days to go via somewhere else on the way back, to extend our holiday. I'm currently thinking Lausanne in Switzerland is looking like a great option.

We're looking forward to the journey. Already feels more relaxed than worrying about traffic, toilet stops etc
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, thanks for the shout out!
Ive been off for a while, but a coupe of points to note: @wills_h, is correct, Les Arcs funicular now included in your SNCF tickets: but they've dropped the price significantly anyway - €2.5 each way IIRC, so it's great, but not a vast saving.

@Timmycb5, we're doing the new AEurostar "change in Lille" route on their first attempt - 16th Dec. - so we'll let you know. But we've also done similar after missing a flight (a snowmageddon type transfer day) and went from Lyon Part Deux to Lille Main line. A 10 min walk to Lille International was a dead easy transfer, and I'd say its a good idea if you don't want to faff about in Paris.

Just spent the erly evening booking trains to Morzine - or rather, to Geneva airport for the TO bus to pick up - for the beginning of March. Because its a Sun-Sunday booking, we actually need to go over to Paris the evening before, as the timings don't quite match up.

So yes, it IS more expensive than a SleazyJet direct to the airport when you include that hotel, but not by much (and a distance cheaper than BA) especially when additional luggage is taken into account... and soooo much more pleasant.

Managed to get the £39 Eurostar tickets to/from Paris, then €50 each way to Geneva (1st class), with SNCF advantage card - which paid for itself on our December Bourg trip so is now effectively a 'freebie' for the rest of the year - and a 3* hotel with breakfast for €180. So all in all, two travellers: £485 ( oh - and dinner in Paris, which will be nice: but will blow the budget).

Let the train take the strain as someone used to say.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Something I also discovered recently is that there are group fares on SNCF trains that can be very cost-effective.

Do you have a link for that?
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/travel-with-us/plan-your-journey/group-travel/
snow conditions
Was thinking about training it in 2025 with the family so have been watching SNCF ticket sales closely.

However, it's GCSE year so we're tied to February hol over Easter (don't want to do Xmas)...and likely to be Paris week for our school.

So, bearing in mind all trains are full already for the respective dates in Feb 2024, I think we'll have to stick to the car. Shame.
ski holidays
Shorter mid-week break? Out on Monday, ski Tue/Wed/Thu, back Friday?
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
iainm wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/travel-with-us/plan-your-journey/group-travel/

That's great. I recall Eurostar are not so good for group bookings?
snow report
So complicated and time consuming compared to the good old days of Eurostar, Ashford to Moûtiers, Aime or Bourg. I realise with that, you ‘just’ got 6 days skiing.

I did this a few times in the 00’s, pretty sure it something like 6 hours, with no having to change modes of transport. Then a short hop to the resorts.

Heavenly and faster than the entire airport and transfer malarkey.
latest report
For anyone who hasn’t booked their Eurostar tickets, it looks like there are potentially some good new deals available for the 1st 3 months of 2024 from £39 each way London/Paris. https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/find-lowest-fares
snow report
Not sure how / why but more TGV slots seem to have opened up for the first week of March. Unsure if they stagger releases or what.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy