Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
"By 11:30 the pinch point on Edelweiss down to the bridge was a warm churned up mess imho. The bottom half of 40 still decent"

Same on Thurs but was already trashed by 11am.
The bottom of 40 (if that's what it is
as it joins underneath SodLisia) was very sticky - could feel the skis stop/starting and had to pole up to Borest.

We were on the campsite for the previous 3 weeks - we were rubbing our hands at the 80cm the week before but sadly the temps rose and conditions deteriorated.

Going back to the lumpyness so early in the day on slopes used by beginners, I feel there's a need for piste-bashing at regular intervals throughout the day. I've seen it happen in Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scamper wrote:
Going back to the lumpyness so early in the day on slopes used by beginners, I feel there's a need for piste-bashing at regular intervals throughout the day. I've seen it happen in Obergurgl.

Yeah I think a lot of us would like this. I've never seen it, and I've been told that it is too hard to do it safely. Which is understandable, or it may mean other things like "too costly" or "can't get the personnel" etc. It can also make the snow cover thinner so it no longer covers the dirt, obviously a bad thing. Wonder what the folks at Obergurgl have to say on the issue? I thought I'd heard of this being done at Vail, but a quick google search showed a 2013 article re Vail ceasing the practice for safety reasons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw that been done in Hintertux last time I was there, was skiing along behind the basher as it pisted and enjoying the snow after it. The week after I was there a snowboarder was killed by one though so safety concerns are reasonable for sure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sean1967 wrote:
@Snow&skifan, I was there 19th Jan to 10th Feb this year and they were not overly busy.

Maybe it is down to personal perception - but I was in Val Di Fassa 21st on Jan and thought it was very busy !!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, it happened in Madonna di Campiglio yesterday. Piste bashers were grooming a black run (using a winch cable) in broad daylight, in full view of a major gondola hub.

600 metres vertical above, the start of the run was fenced off but there were also pisteurs standing the top, to prevent anyone sneaking past. So it's quite personnel-intensive.

OTOH I've also seen it happen in Scotland while the same pistes are still open Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scooter in Seattle, I saw it happen in Killington, quite a few years ago when they closed one or two pistes at lunchtime to groom them. There were always alternatives.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, to review: dangerous and labor – intensive. Best to not hold our breath for widespread adoption. Still coming back to the Dolomites regardless!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611 wrote:
Saw that been done in Hintertux last time I was there...

Yes, I've seen piste bashers at Hintertux grooming during the day also.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Peter S, I am also interested to know have skier numbers gone up quite a lot in the last few years? See a lot of talk of how busy it is this year and when I was there in Jan just after the school holidays the guide kept on pointing out how lucky we were to not have the big SR queues.

Last time I was there previously was 10 years ago, wonder has it really gone on the map since for a certain demographic? Also the €65 ski pass is quite a whack, suggests they are aiming high and happy they will get the numbers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lift pass has been expensive over at least the last 10 years and presumably more so now because of high energy prices. I can imagine that the reliability of the area for 6 day ski holidays is paying off and will continue to do so until the point is reached when it gets too warm to make sufficient snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jimmybog, Thank you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If anyone has people in their group that won't get value for money from a 6 day pass an alternative would be a points card.

It can be used by more than one person too.

I bought a 2100 points version for €150.
With the indifferent conditions where I only really skied until lunchtime or not at all, it worked out cheaper for me.

https://shop.dolomitisuperski.com/tessera-punti.aspx
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glorious sunshine for the first day this week, the huge Dolomites look stunning. (Other than a couple of hours sun first thing Thursday).

Yet we’re going home Crying or Very sad

Lucky folk who arrived yesterday!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scamper wrote:
If anyone has people in their group that won't get value for money from a 6 day pass an alternative would be a points card.

It can be used by more than one person too.

I bought a 2100 points version for €150.
With the indifferent conditions where I only really skied until lunchtime or not at all, it worked out cheaper for me.

https://shop.dolomitisuperski.com/tessera-punti.aspx

How does this card work in practice ? Does each lift cost a certain number of points ?

Update. I stopped being lazy and found this page with information about all passes including an interesting option called DTL which seems to work a bit like an Oyster card and works out where you skied and for how long and charges you retrospectively…

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Ski-pass/Prices
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snow&skifan, still foggy and snowing in Madonna di Campiglio Twisted Evil ...10 consecutive days with snow / rain on our trip, and counting Laughing
snow report
Beautiful day in the Alta Badia. Sun was out most of the day. Morning was excellent. Snow held up well. Bit sugary in places A very different experience to what we are used here The area seemed quiet but it is change over day.
ski holidays
Spent the day skiing around Santa Cristina, Suisi and Selva. Fabulous conditions this morning, La Longia was ace. Plenty of snow, sugary and slushy lower down this afternoon. Light held up well under partial cloud and snow showers. All in all a good day
latest report
This morning the pistes above Corvara were lovely if a bit crunchy first thing. The sun came and went making some of the pistes more tricky visibility wise. Hut stops at Para and Crep de Munt. Afternoon and the crowds were out being Sunday.
snow conditions
I'm back in the UK now, but according to ECMWF the days ahead look promising to say the least for Corvara at 1,643m.

Temperatures - from Tuesday evening for 8 days, the highest in this period +3c, the lowest -7c.

Snow - precipitation this Wednesday (15cm?) and again next Sunday/Monday.
snow report
Glorious day in AltaBadia Great morning ski on quiet pistes. So glad we were out as lifts opened. First run down to San Cassiano from Las Vegas was so good we decided to go for second one. Well that was a mistake as enormous queue for the bubble back. By one o clock the snow had softened so much we headed for an early stop. Slush down to Corvara.
snow report
Gufo wrote:
Glorious day in AltaBadia Great morning ski on quiet pistes. So glad we were out as lifts opened. First run down to San Cassiano from Las Vegas was so good we decided to go for second one. Well that was a mistake as enormous queue for the bubble back. By one o clock the snow had softened so much we headed for an early stop. Slush down to Corvara.

Are there any plans to replace that gondola? So ancient, I was caught in a big queue a week ago.
snow conditions
I think it's all about looking at the weather / temps.

Today as forecast it was warmer, but above 1800 the slopes were perfect.

Firstly it's so quiet, (but ssshhhh dont tell anyone!) especially on the Arabba side. We managed to get 1st lift up from arabba and over to the Marmolada not only without a single queue, but with barely anybody on the pistes.

As you say it warmed up after lunch, but after lapping the marmolada 3 times, we shot clockwise to Plan De Gralba, had a play there, and then finished the day Pecol and Portovescovo, which still houses some of my favourite pistes, all in great condition.

We managed to stay above 1800 for all but 2 runs, and it was noticible that they were lower as they were slushy carnage Eh oh!

Off to do Eidleweiss early tomorrow before playing in Alta Badia with the snow that's due.
latest report
So.... if we get snowmagedon next weekend, any tips for good tree skiing in Cortina? Assuming lifts are open we'll probably stay local, unless there better places for skiing in low viz?
latest report
Eidleweiss was beautiful this morning. Sunny, warm and great pistes. Spent the afternoon in a lesson going up and down the top of Dantercepies again really lovely until the weather closed in and it started snowing. It’s forecast to snow tomorrow so will have to take a view on what to do depending on visibility. We’ve fallen for the Dolomites and are already planning next years trip!
snow report
What a glorious morning cruising the blues above Corvara. Post lunch brought on the blues with sugary snow and moguls where we have never seen moguls. As per plan we stopped early before the slush at the end of the day. Pistes were busy as everyone trying to stay up high. No snow in the village yet.
snow conditions
Quite heavy snowfall here in Pedraces/Badia this morning. I’ve not been out yet but it looks like over 5cm and still falling Very Happy
ski holidays
Corvara has had about 10 cms overnight A lull just now but looks like more to come Piste bashers are busy on the slopes into the village.
snow report
Same in Selva. Apparently the snow ploughs were busy this morning but I didn’t hear them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powder day enjoyed by the hardy ones in the mists while others took the bus to Brunico Lovely wee town. Lunch was pretty good too.
snow conditions
30cm in arabba last night with more up higher.

Had a brilliant time with the fat skis on around pralongia, alta badia and so on. With the wee man in toe, we were skiing just off the side of pistes / between runs, but it was deep enough in places for the wee one to go above his knees Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I know I am talking to the 'converted' here - but this must have been one of the best seasons snow wise for many years !

Selva webcams are showing -5 and snowing Smile : those going out this weekend should be in for a good time...
latest report
Quote:

hose going out this weekend should be in for a good time...

Can't wait Toofy Grin . Looks like lots of snow in Sunday; Monday should be epic.
snow report
albob wrote:
I know I am talking to the 'converted' here - but this must have been one of the best seasons snow wise for many years !

Selva webcams are showing -5 and snowing Smile : those going out this weekend should be in for a good time...

I would say just average at best myself?
We were there second week of Jan and things were good but they usually are then.
February things a bit warm at times
Decent falls the last couple of weeks but getting into spring conditions so you need to plan where to be at various bits of the day
snow report
Some years are worse than others !!

http://youtube.com/v/R9vgmy1fiQU
latest report
Whomever heads out next week is going to have an epic one!

We've just packed up ready to leave Arabba tomorrow AM, and can honestly say it's been one of the best weeks I've had here.

So the first 2 days were a bit slushy below 1600, but as soon as we went higher, the slopes were fantastic.

Overcast but not flat light for a couple of days in the week, sunny for 2/3 days, and thoroughly snowy with no visibility for most of today, but blooming brilliant.

Will definitely return this week going forward, even if it does get a little warmer, namely because of the people or there lack of! I've never seen the place so quiet! No kids, a few germans, the odd Swiss, and a couple of British, but very very quiet. Today especially! Post lunch stop the green circuit bubble had a 5 minute queue, but that was the biggest all week, short of that, we never queued and most chairs were empty - especially post lunch today when the slopes were eerily dead.

Hidden valley today looked cloudy, but the sun came out just in time. Better still, we walked straight on to the bus, and straight up to the horses at the end, again no queues, which after yesterday's avalanche closing the road to the hidden valley was very surprising.

Have fun those heading out next week - wish were were staying for another!
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Whomever heads out next week is going to have an epic one!

We've just packed up ready to leave Arabba tomorrow AM, and can honestly say it's been one of the best weeks I've had here.

So the first 2 days were a bit slushy below 1600, but as soon as we went higher, the slopes were fantastic.

Overcast but not flat light for a couple of days in the week, sunny for 2/3 days, and thoroughly snowy with no visibility for most of today, but blooming brilliant.

Will definitely return this week going forward, even if it does get a little warmer, namely because of the people or there lack of! I've never seen the place so quiet! No kids, a few germans, the odd Swiss, and a couple of British, but very very quiet. Today especially! Post lunch stop the green circuit bubble had a 5 minute queue, but that was the biggest all week, short of that, we never queued and most chairs were empty - especially post lunch today when the slopes were eerily dead.

Hidden valley today looked cloudy, but the sun came out just in time. Better still, we walked straight on to the bus, and straight up to the horses at the end, again no queues, which after yesterday's avalanche closing the road to the hidden valley was very surprising.

Have fun those heading out next week - wish were were staying for another!

You struck timing gold.

Last week Arabba had colossal queues, the Sellaronda area was packed with Italian, Polish and Slovak families …. I chatted with quite a few in our Corvara hotel and on lifts. Not sure why there were so many Italian school age kids with families ….. a carnival week or pulling kids out of school?
ski holidays
sah wrote:
Quote:

hose going out this weekend should be in for a good time...

Can't wait Toofy Grin . Looks like lots of snow in Sunday; Monday should be epic.

I’m arriving in Arabba tomorrow evening for my first ever trip to the Dolomites Very Happy Might give skiing a miss on the Sunday, as very much a fair weather skier due to past lucky escapes in whiteout conditions. Should save myself for Monday Smile
latest report
albob wrote:
Some years are worse than others !!

http://youtube.com/v/R9vgmy1fiQU

Looks like parts of Kronplatz early Feb this year!
snow report
Another week over in beautiful Alta Badia. As long as we stayed up high the snow was in very good condition. Great cover making for picture perfect views.
As usual the huts were a delight and we enjoyed the terraces when the sun was out.
Village temperatures were generally too warm making return home trips rather tricky in sugary soft slush.
ski holidays
Light snow in Badia this morning. We are going to try the orange Sella Ronda and hope that Saturday will be quieter than during the week. We tried this on Tuesday but the queue for the Campolongo chair over to Arabba was horrendous, it was just like it used to be with the T bar, so we bailed out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy