Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - we are booked to COURCHEVEL 1650 next March. Looking for recommendations for English speaking ski schools to take 4 children aged between 14 and 17. All skied multiple times before but its been a few years. Plus also a single adult returning back after a few years out from a serious injury.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kettonskimum,

Here goes...

1. Plein Sud Chair from VT
2. 3 Vallees Gondola
3. Lac De La Chambre blue piste to Mont Vallon gondola.
4. MV gondola then Campagnol red to Plan Des Mains Chair
5. Blue piste under the lifts all the way to Mottaret
6. Pas Du Lac gondola to top of La Saulire
7. Creux blue piste to Roc Mugnier chair & take chair
8. Blue piste towards Signal chair then blue piste Marquis to bottom of Ariondaz gondola
9. A couple of runs off Signal chair if you feel you have time (Allow 2 hours to get back to VT from there... That should be very generous timing - excluding Jerusalem - see later).
10. Ariondaz gondola or Signal Chair
11. Petites Bosses blue piste to bottom of Aiguille Du Fruit chair
12. Aiguille Du Fruit chair
13. Marmottes Chair
14. Turn left at top of chair to the big rock that you passed earlier at the top of Creux - but turn right this time and keep right down blue Biche piste, then Marmotte blue piste to mid station of Rhodos gondola
15. Follow blue piste Doron to bottom of Legends chair
16. Legends chair then left to Tougnete 2 chair
(If you have time take Cherferie chair instead of Tougnete 2 & ski blue piste Jerusalem - brilliant run - then St Martin 2 Chair to top of Tougnete 2)
17. Gros Tougne blue piste to Granges chair
18. Pass Granges Chair and turn right to continue on Gros Tougne to the centre of Les Menuires
19. Menuires chair then Mont De La Chambre chair
20. Pluviometre Blue or Mont de La Chambre blue (in which case you need to turn left shortly after the Alpage mountain restaurant)
back to VT.

I hope you have a great day! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kettonskimum wrote:
@Bergmeister, Ooh, yes please on the Courchevel route as that will be tomorrow. We're skiing most of Saturday too so could maybe pick up La Masse then?

Have you bought lift passes for Saturday? Les Menuires charges only €37 on a Saturday Very Happy . From there you can take 2 chairs (Doron and Mont De La Chambre) and ski back to VT.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oooh. Yes please @bergmeister
A route from VT to Courcheval and back would be much appreciated. My kids want to go!! We are here until Wednesday so hoping to make the most of our time here once the kids lessons end tomorrow.

Bergmeister wrote:
kettonskimum,

I agree with MontyMM. Do not miss the views off the back of Mont Vallon (from the top of the gondola). They are beyond stunning!

There are 2 ways down from there (both red pistes). The right hand run (as you look up the mountain) is the easier of the 2 (not steep at all, though it has a 100m narrow section) and is (surprisingly) the quieter of the 2 runs.

Also, I endorse halfhand's recommendation to ski to Courchevel and back. You can actually return entirely on blues & greens. The skiing at the "far end of the lift map" is beautiful. Long, wide, blue runs and always very quiet Very Happy . It's a great area of the 3Vs.

Also, do not miss the trip to the top of La Masse at Les Menuires. It has a fantastic viewing platform and stunning views, with lovely blue runs back to base.

I'm happy to provide a detailed route to Courchevel and back if you need it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1350, earlier in the week.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SirCharles wrote:
Oooh. Yes please @bergmeister
A route from VT to Courcheval and back would be much appreciated. My kids want to go!! We are here until Wednesday so hoping to make the most of our time here once the kids lessons end tomorrow.

Bergmeister wrote:
kettonskimum,

I agree with MontyMM. Do not miss the views off the back of Mont Vallon (from the top of the gondola). They are beyond stunning!

There are 2 ways down from there (both red pistes). The right hand run (as you look up the mountain) is the easier of the 2 (not steep at all, though it has a 100m narrow section) and is (surprisingly) the quieter of the 2 runs.

Also, I endorse halfhand's recommendation to ski to Courchevel and back. You can actually return entirely on blues & greens. The skiing at the "far end of the lift map" is beautiful. Long, wide, blue runs and always very quiet Very Happy . It's a great area of the 3Vs.

Also, do not miss the trip to the top of La Masse at Les Menuires. It has a fantastic viewing platform and stunning views, with lovely blue runs back to base.

I'm happy to provide a detailed route to Courchevel and back if you need it.

Please see the route above Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Courchevel 1350, earlier in the week
before the 'global boiling' that is oft referred to by you (@Whitegold) kicks in...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to say the slush on Doron is bad later in the day (most runs lower into meribel centre are really suffering so bear in mind if you are not a fan of heavy slush). Also I’d skip Jerusalem. Sorry to say that as I know it has such a great rep but I skied it earlier in the week and it was grim with mud poking through. Not worth a detour as it will be worse now. The snack bar Eskis is a mud bath! We are really suffering the warm temps down here in St M although up top is fantastic snow.
Im heading to La Masse tomorrow for the first time; heard good things! May also try Mont Vallon if there’s time as haven’t been up there this time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think we only had 5 way points from VT to Signal and 6 on the return but they probably encompassed @Bergmeister, list. It took 3 hrs to get to signal including a coffee stop and the Q at the plan des mains lift (Ours route to Meribel-Motaet being closed). Lunch back in Mottaret then Platieres and Cote de Brune to get back to VT.
We tend to use Chardons and Plein Sud rather than Pluviometre as that took us back to the ski-in for our apartment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@yllen, are they all different levels? Can you just get a private instructor between them all? Hopefully someone will give you some local tips across in 1650 but from what I can see, your kids will be in adult groups at that age and it might not be much fun for teens. Kids groups seem to stop about 13 unless they are higher level specifically for teens.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@yllen, you could ask these guys, you’d have to agree a meet point as they are more Meribel based iirc

https://www.skimarmalade.com/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
update from latania.co.uk

Lifts / Pistes Update:
Some pistes low down now starting to break up. However, Folyères still complete and groomed to La Tania although thin and patchy in late afternoon at the bottom (and a walk to gondola required). The La Tania green run upper section is groomed to Bouc Blanc chair but looks like bottom section is now closed.

Runs to Le Praz are closed and Forêt lift is shut (Praz open).
Tovets chair in 1550 is now closed.

But that said all other lifts & pistes in the La Tania, Chanrossa, Saulire and Biollay sector are open.
1650 / Signal has all lifts open with just 3 out of 24 pistes closed.

Loze area has closures on the lower sections of Eclipse, Dou du Midi and Jean Blanc while lower runs like Deviation 1550, Grand Combes, Proviere and those down to Le Praz are closed.

So masses of great skiing still available (especially early and on North Facing slopes) and empty slopes for the next 2 weeks. It is going to be hot (not just warm) this weekend though so further deterioration of snow cover low down is expected.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@halfhand I was grateful for you noting Ours was closed on our return back from Mt Vallon today; we knew in good time to check and find an alternative. Thanks!

Otherwise - Just updating on the conditions across in the Belleville Valley. VT seems OK but Les Men and lower are really quite heavy going after lunch now. It’s been boiling for a couple of days and going to carry on. Snow quite nice still at top of La Masse this morning and we went up twice to do both of blacks from the point gondola. But getting there across those greens down in Les Men wasn’t nice even at 10am. Proper spring conditions!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone if it’s possible to buy an extension to the orelle / vt ski pass for the rest of the 3V?

Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajc2260626 wrote:
Does anyone if it’s possible to buy an extension to the orelle / vt ski pass for the rest of the 3V?

Cheers

Yes you can upgrade by the day.
snow report
Ta, just arrived in orelle and was thinking of heading up to bonneval tomos as the sun supposed to be out, then doing 4 days in 3V and thought I might extend on last day……? Maybe then another day in valmiener?
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, So, we went for it today.....and it was nice venturing out from VT however we only made it to the bottom of Marmottes in Courchevel on the way to the Roc Mugnier lift before bailing and returning higher. I really don't mind slush....until the drag forces skis to perform mini emergency stops...and that's what we got at that point. Bit of a shame but high temps wiped the plan out.
snow report
kettonskimum wrote:
@Bergmeister, So, we went for it today.....and it was nice venturing out from VT however we only made it to the bottom of Marmottes in Courchevel on the way to the Roc Mugnier lift before bailing and returning higher. I really don't mind slush....until the drag forces skis to perform mini emergency stops...and that's what we got at that point. Bit of a shame but high temps wiped the plan out.

At least you made it to Courchevel. Did you enjoy the change of scene? And did you make it to Mont Vallon? Puzzled

We are heading back to VT on Sunday Toofy Grin .

It looks like it will be warm - but it will be better than not skiing wink .
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:

Cheers

Yes you can but the price of the extension for 1 day is the same as the difference between a weeks 1 valley and a weeks 3 valley so if you are definitely going to do it you may as well buy 3 valleys for the whole time at the same cost and have the added flexibility.
snow report
Not sure that is true for a week pass; a single extension works out slightly cheaper. But probably true for a 4-day pass
snow conditions
Quote:

At least you made it to Courchevel. Did you enjoy the change of scene? And did you make it to Mont Vallon?

Thought Mont V was fab. Glad we got across to Courchevel but disappointed in the conditions - we obviously didn't do it justice. Same with Les M....didn't go down that far due to temperatures. Stayed 2000m and above. Like I said, I don't mind thicker snow but Boismint slopes were custard by 11am today. Yesterday (late afternoon) we saw a bloke that looked like he needed help on the slope, but his wife said he was just exhausted. Booze? I had my ruck sack checked for booze on Pioneers at 10.30am on Friday (and I'm 53!). Will take that as a compliment......

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions from everyone. I'm sure we'll go back and fill in the gaps at some point.
ski holidays
kettonskimum wrote:
Quote:

At least you made it to Courchevel. Did you enjoy the change of scene? And did you make it to Mont Vallon?

Thought Mont V was fab. Glad we got across to Courchevel but disappointed in the conditions - we obviously didn't do it justice. Same with Les M....didn't go down that far due to temperatures. Stayed 2000m and above. Like I said, I don't mind thicker snow but Boismint slopes were custard by 11am today. Yesterday (late afternoon) we saw a bloke that looked like he needed help on the slope, but his wife said he was just exhausted. Booze? I had my ruck sack checked for booze on Pioneers at 10.30am on Friday (and I'm 53!). Will take that as a compliment......

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions from everyone. I'm sure we'll go back and fill in the gaps at some point.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed life outside VT ! Very Happy We are heading there tomorrow. Watch this space... wink
latest report
@Bergmeister, Ah, still plenty there to enjoy and I believe snow on the way!
snow report
@kettonskimum
Quote:
Booze? I had my ruck sack checked for booze on Pioneers at 10.30am on Friday (and I'm 53!). Will take that as a compliment......

Curious , are you saying you were checked to see that you had alcohol on the chair lift ? was it police or the lifties ?
ski holidays
@skimottaret, we had our rucksacks checked for alcohol on the same lift, 2 weekends ago they weren't police! They just patted my rucksack and asked if I had any in it.
latest report
Presumably because that's the "pedestrian" lift for the Folie Douce. Must be to stop people taking their own booze there. Good effort to start at 10.30 am!
snow report
Nice that Les flics are working so hard to look after the interests of the Frilly Douche.
snow report
We took advantage of the changeover day yesterday to cruise over to Courchevel from VT and find our favourite crepe stop: roasting sun and fantastic visibility. Mont Vallon didn’t disappoint but Aigle down into Meribel-Mottaret was hard going in particular. I was pleasantly surprised at the state of runs in Courchevel and we are planning another run across later this week to explore it further but will take the Pas du Lac gondola down Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latania.co.uk just posted a video on conditions https://fb.watch/rikJw_a_rB/

Final Weeks of the Season - Update 06 April 2024
Some pistes low down now starting to break up.
However, Folyères still complete and groomed to La Tania although thin and patchy in late afternoon at the bottom (and a walk to gondola required).
The La Tania green run is now closed.
Runs to Le Praz are closed and Forêt lift is shut (Praz open).
Tovets chair in 1550 is now closed.
But that said all other lifts & pistes in the La Tania, Chanrossa, Saulire and Biollay sector are open. 1650 / Signal has all lifts open with just 3 out of 24 pistes closed.
Loze area has closures on the lower sections of Eclipse, Dou du Midi and Jean Blanc while lower runs like Deviation 1550, Grand Combes, Proviere and those down to Le Praz are closed.

So masses of great skiing still available (especially early and on North Facing slopes) and empty slopes for the next 2 weeks. It is going to be hot (not just warm) this weekend though so further deterioration of snow cover low down is expected. Enjoy while you can…..
ski holidays
@Je suis un Skieur, makes sense , first ive heard of that though..
ski holidays
I didn't come in the end but it was a close run thing. Looking at the web cams and the temperatures, maybe I was right?
snow report
Had a great day in VT today - it was warm but maybe not as hot as yesterday, as there has been a thin veil of high cloud all day. The red run down into Orelle was fantastic late morning. Stayed high (over 2400m as much as possible), conditions were great high up around the Grand Fond and Caron lifts, then softer lower down and like rice pudding on the runs into VT centre. Need those colder nights to come back!
snow report
Had a very big day in 3v today
Covered 91km and went pretty much everywhere.
Moriond, 1550 and la tania all skiable fine … but walk last 300m to la tania gondola.
Then Les Menuires, val Thorens, Caron, orelle, peclet, vallon, saulire etc
Snow good above 2000m but still bit grabby in the flats.
Off piste like glue Eh oh!
Avalanche over the piste below saulire at 5pm … quick search and spoke to Pisteurs but they seemed more concerned over whether it was Meribel or mottaret Pisteurs who had to check it out Eh oh!
Great day for April
If anyone around looking for a blast give me a shout.
snow report

snow conditions
Milky sunshine

ski holidays
https://strava.app.link/h0Nc7IwPBIb
snow conditions
Just messing about with sharing links etc … sorry !
ski holidays
@skimottaret, Hi, sorry for delay! Was lift guys and not police. Looked in my rucksack and I joked my water was just that and not water!
snow conditions
Hard work today with tired legs and slushy snow.
Ridiculously warm … but cooling tonight and snow tomorrow hopefully.
Went to Les Menuires first thing but quickly aborted Masse plans and came back as wind picked up and lifts to the ridge shut.
Skied round Meribel and Courchevel all day as links on Courchevel side were sheltered from the wind. Burg in Saulire closed early pm but pasdu lac stayed working.
I even skied the Trout … just about doable with a couple of hundred metres walk past the medical centre.
Snow was really hard work … some patches of water which will be horrific when frozen if not well covered by new snow.
ski holidays

Trout still open
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy