Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
franga wrote:
[Cherferie is literally a 1 minute ski from the top of Legends - from memory, there's no way you can get to Jerusalem from the top of Verdet.

That's not the point. Roc de Fer is the designated peak, not Cherferie, so you have to go to Olympic first.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glosterwolf wrote:
Anyone know what has happened to bouquetin chair?

It got damaged in the high winds a few weeks ago. The fact they they have not fixed it yet means it a major part, possibly the cable that is damaged.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks probable that Val Thorens will have great conditions from Saturday onwards, freezing temperatures day and night. Winds the only nuisance. Sun and fresh snow.

https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/val-thorens/732573
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, updates from gondolas maybe! Ain’t risking a phone on a chairlift Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
Looks like Ours is shut, anyone know if that's it for the season or just today? Kinda key for my Escapade Wink Verdet been shut past 2 days so assume that's gone for the season now as well!
Ours forecast to open today?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ecureuil, interesting cheers, maybe they closed it when it got too slushy yesterday?? Will have to check on the app when I'm on the Mt Vallon lift tomorrow!

*edit* Ours still showing pending on the interactive map at 10:40 UK time Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski interested to see how you get on with escapade. We will be out there the following week. We attempted the original escapade in a day a few times late season but always fell foul of lifts being closed. The same will probably happen this year.

We will be in Mottaret and I thought of attempting it going up Pas d Lac first as we often ski that part at the start of a day. The problem there is that Chanrossa is not due to start until 9.40 unless it starts earlier now. In February we were waiting there each morning having got first lift from Mottaret.

Alternatively we can just ski down Truite before anything opens and be ready to start at Legends.

Watching with interest. Good luck
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mogulski, cheers, did you mean lifts were unexpectedly shut when you tried it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are conditions like in Courch, La Tania & Meribel at the moment? I'm due out to VT on 1st April and that's all looking good for fresh pow, but not sure if it's worth getting a 3 v lift pass or just staying there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you have budget - go 3V
if not - VT only.

Snow line was quite high at the weekend. unless it gets and stays cold, AND dumps loads of snow that's not likely to change. you'll see what I mean on the drive/transfer to VT.
Little to no snow (except on Piste) at St Martin. 1400M
Snow is at the level of Les Men. (Point De La Masse Lift/Cumin Run from VT to Les Men) 1800
VT great. 2400m

Likewise Meribel Mottaret (1800) fine.
Meribel Centre (1400) less snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@UtahGetMeTwo, Nice info, thanks. I won't be doing any off-piste so am planning on the full 3V pass.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand, I would get an update this time next week before you decide.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ChloeAmelia, courchevel area is high and north facing so holds snow well. Plus if snowing the ability to ski tree lined runs is very useful! Guess it depends if you want to travel and make the most of the area or wether there’s enough locally to keep you happy !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ecureuil, I'll be there this coming Saturday, so can assess Sunday morning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your responses everyone! Very helpful Eh oh! I lived in La Tania long ago & want to do Folyeres again if possible.
Crossing all fingers that the promising forecast remains & I can get out over 3V Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@ChloeAmelia, I skied Meribel valley on Tue and Wed. I'm an ageing, slow-ish piste skier so don't cover much ground. Red down from Mt Vallon in good shape but it gets soft as you approach Mottaret (on Ours say) at around 2000m and below. Mottaret has snow but quite soft and cut up. Meribel Centre suffering, quite slushy at the bottom. The blue from top of Toughnette lift to M. Centre soft but not bad. This weekend should improve things though.
snow conditions
Escapade up and running. Not the greatest start with Olympic delayed opening whilst pisteurs cleared the black. Now on St Martin 1
snow conditions
@kitenski, Good luck. Hope the weather holds for you
ski holidays
Funitel peclet now about 20mins behind schedule (that had an hour spare), queues for peclet cost us some more time.
ski holidays
@kitenski, Ours closed today so you will using Plan see Mains chair then Sitelle /Matter. When you reach the Pas du Lac bubble note there are 2 entrances, and often the top/rear entrance you reach first is crowded while the lower / front entrance has no queues. There is also a singles line before the turnstiles which is usually a bit quicker.
snow report
edit: duplicate

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-03-24 13:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Martre, not Matter!
ski holidays
I’m on pas du lac now, my wife is skiing with a new thinner liner and she’s not cranked her boots up enough so got shin bang! She’s neading back I’m cracking on! Going to be right, bail out at top of foret if not there by 1630 I think, as I need to get down to La Tania and up doi des launches which shuts 1655.

They also shut the path to the top of plan des mains due to avalanche risk, not had much luck!!
ski holidays
Decent snow in orelles, slushy bumps skiing back to Meribel 1750 as expected! Good fun!
latest report
I was on the La Tania gondola at 1637…still on it… fingers crossed I make launches!!
latest report
You'll make Lanches easily, they never close on time. The question is, can you make Golf before 16.55? I reckon you can but it's very tight.... Bon chance!
snow conditions
@Je suis un Skieur, sat at the bottom of golf! Didn’t make it back up but think the Escapade still counts??
snow report
@kitenski, even though I've skied quite a bit in the 3V, I've got zero bump of direction, so have no real sense of where you've been. But it's clearly a great achievement, so - congratulations! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would say it counts. You visited all the required checkpoints.

I found out what is going on with Ours. They are just opening it mid afternoon so the people that miss the last Plan des Mains have a route home. They are saving the snow on it for that by not opening it in the morning.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, cheers, basically everywhere Smile

https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade2023.htm
ski holidays
@kitenski,
Quote:

@basically everywhere

That's what I thought. Wow!
latest report
@kitenski, oooohhhh....epic fail! So close! Sorry IMV but you have to get on the lift - you're supposed to finish at the same place you started to complete the circuit and the "checkpoint" as such is the top of a designated lift, as it was in the good old days when you had to physically punch your Escapade card. I guess you can send it in to Toffa for adjudication but I'm sensing he'll put you on the epic fail list.

Just go again tomorrow, it'll be much quieter on a Saturday! Very Happy
snow conditions
@kitenski, well done in that slush-fest.
Went from Orelle to Courchevel1650 and back today and have to admit to a download from the Pas-du-Lac mid-station coming back into Mottaret. I just couldn't face the slush and chaos at the bottom.
Lory to ourselves for the last run of the trip was sublime (until the last 200m) though Smile
ski holidays
@kitenski, Well done, quite a challenge given the conditions I am sure you must have enjoyed it. It was great following your journey on here.
ski holidays
@kitenski, well done, I'd have no chance of doing that at the speed I ski. I'm 72 though so that's my excuse Eh oh!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, sat at the bottom of golf! Didn’t make it back up but think the Escapade still counts??

Well done!
snow report
kitenski wrote:

snowrider wrote:
I would say it counts. You visited all the required checkpoints.

When the system of recording Escapade lifts first changed from a hole punch on a card at the top of a lift to a marker on your electronic lift pass skiing record, and before GPS apps such as SkiTracks existed to prove you'd gone up a lift, there was a bit of a hoo-hah around accusations of cheating by some participants.

It specifically revolved around the mandatory but very slow and otherwise unconnected lifts where you just went up and then skied straight back down past the bottom of the lift rather than on to another lift. The accusation was that some cute attemptees had checked in through the electronic barrier and then just ducked the rope and skied off without ever actually riding the lift. The most obvious place to do it was Col or Bouchet, but I seem to recall that La Masse 2 was also mentioned.

Hence why I think you'll end up as an "epic fail" rather than get a sympathy vote, even though it's clearly a bit of bad luck in pretty tricky conditions missing the last lift rather than deliberate. But you never know...

If it makes you feel any better, I once got to La Masse 2, in the days before an app existed to tell you what lifts were running, only to find it "En Panne". It was lift 25 out of 35... rolling eyes
snow report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@kitenski, oooohhhh....epic fail! So close! Sorry IMV but you have to get on the lift - you're supposed to finish at the same place you started to complete the circuit and the "checkpoint" as such is the top of a designated lift, as it was in the good old days when you had to physically punch your Escapade card. I guess you can send it in to Toffa for adjudication but I'm sensing he'll put you on the epic fail list. ...

But the Escapade guidelines now just specify 12 valley bases and 12 summits. And @kitenski has been to them all in a continuous journey. The 24th point is Meribel Village, not the Golf chair. No specific mention of having to return to the start point, although for obvious reasons most people do!
snow conditions
Yeah, I suppose you could argue that with the way it's been written since 2023. ATEOTD I don't make the decision, send the stuff to Toffa and see what he puts on the website.
ski holidays
From latania.co.uk "We may add the pistes to use on here at some stage but you can use any route - it's the checkpoints that count."
There is no requirement to use any specific lifts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy