Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're in Zermatt through Friday. The weather is looking very "unsettled" as a few folks have mentioned--warm with possible rain and windy. We were planning to go to Cervinia but that seems like a bad idea since it's south facing. If we do go, can we buy a day ticket up at the top or do we have to buy it in town before we get on the lift? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s snowing in zermatt rn
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all, heading to Zermatt on the 30th. Staying mid mountain at ze Seewjinu lodge. Wondering if anyone can give a current snow report? Coming from the Rockies where snow has been pretty good
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skyhogg, suggest Zermatt website. 25 cm town, 105cm mountain. Light freshen up yesterday. The extreme cold in the US has led apparently to jet streams bringing warm and wet weather over from the gulf area,so it will be freeze thaw, when you are here is the latest forecast. Piste fine, offpiste not so fine. We are there first full week of Feb so similar for us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.s. welcome to snowheads
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, as often happens, the mountain gods didn't care about the forecast. Today was a beautiful blue sky day. The top and link to Italy were closed due to high winds but the skiing was great. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skyhogg wrote:
Hi all, heading to Zermatt on the 30th. Staying mid mountain at ze Seewjinu lodge. Wondering if anyone can give a current snow report? Coming from the Rockies where snow has been pretty good

A quick one - what made you book this accommodation? Its very isolated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys. I've been skiing over there several times and I often see the freeze/thaw cycle in the Alps. I'm hoping that there will be enough dusting so as to keep the ice at bay as the forecast doesn't seem to call for much snow in the short term. I guess if it's really icy we will spend some time trekking around from the lodge or exploring the town. Yes that mid mountain lodge is really isolated. Not looking much for night life and party. Jet lagged skiing we will be destroyed and happy to hang out away from crowds. My friends stay at this particular place every year and they love it. This will be my first stay but I've spent enough time in Zermatt proper I think...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, if you are looking to be very much out of the way then its a good option. Just keep an eye on the last lift times or you'll end up getting slightly stuck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello everyone! From what Im seeing, most of the lifts and pistes have been closed the past two days. Is there someone on the ground that can enlighten me as to the situation? We are arriving this weekend and wanted to plan a little but it seems like it will come down to the day...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
matvash13 wrote:
Hello everyone! From what Im seeing, most of the lifts and pistes have been closed the past two days. Is there someone on the ground that can enlighten me as to the situation? We are arriving this weekend and wanted to plan a little but it seems like it will come down to the day...

Wind presumably. current reading 153km/h gusts on Gornergrat
Heading out in 10 days and keeping an eye on things
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yesterday was fine in Gronnegrat and Sunnegga. Today was a mess, Sunnegga was initially open then they closed the higher lifts and finally everything else. Conditions lower down didn’t seem so bad to me and I have no idea why they closed the blue down to Eja. Sat looking at the Matterhorn right now and the wind is still up. Hoping tomorrow will be better.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DaveB, Yep, today was a mess. Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...Cervinia Valtourneche closed for past 2 days Skullie
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weather looks good and wind not very high, but the Zermatt website shows a lot of lifts and runs ,
‘In preparation’ at 11.20am local. Any ideas from anyone there? Website wrong?
snow report
Shwarszee area completely shut all day and everything up the glacier closed. I went to Riffelberg in the morning and it was horrible with huge queues for the lift and jam packed icy runs. The run down to Gant was shut. So I got on the bus to Sunnegga and had a better time. The Rothorn was shut due to wind as was the Kumme bubble, which later opened for less than 45 minutes. So it’s still not great here, even so I had a great ski. But I’m 4 days into my 6 day pass and really hope Schwarzsee is open tomorrow so I can see what it’s all about.
snow report
DaveB wrote:
Shwarszee area completely shut all day and everything up the glacier closed. I went to Riffelberg in the morning and it was horrible with huge queues for the lift and jam packed icy runs. The run down to Gant was shut. So I got on the bus to Sunnegga and had a better time. The Rothorn was shut due to wind as was the Kumme bubble, which later opened for less than 45 minutes. So it’s still not great here, even so I had a great ski. But I’m 4 days into my 6 day pass and really hope Schwarzsee is open tomorrow so I can see what it’s all about.

Amazing Dave, would be superb if you had an update tomorrow! Hope the meteo looks up tomorrow for you!
latest report
Yes thanks for the update . Here’s to calmer conditions
ski holidays
A bit better today (Friday) lift wise as all the high lifts in Sunnegga and Gornergart are open. But Schwarzsee is still shut. It’s all a bit icy but the winds are down. I think we are due a dusting tonight. I’m sat at Adler Hitta in clouds with an empty wallet after falling for their superb wood fire cooked chicken. Might head over to Riffleberg a bit later but no great incentive in these ice/thaw conditions.
snow conditions
I'll leave you to do the maths to figure out what works best financially, but in terms of logistics, once you have your lift pass numbers you can just enter your lift pass codes and add whatever extras to your pass online without having to mess around queuing at the booths...

When we went the weather was a bit dodgy so we bought international passes for a few days and then as we knew the Zermatt link would probably be shut, just bought extra Cervinia only days.
latest report
...everything opened today, enough said Sad
ski holidays
Yeah but it will be icy and no fresh snow
snow conditions
Well...Headed to Zermatt tonight. Will hit the slopes tomorrow. Not really excited about what I'm reading with the conditions. But I suppose the food and beer will taste just fine. I'll post a report tomorrow
latest report
Last time I was skiing Zermatt and Cervinia was a week gone Friday – although Saturday through Tuesday I wasn’t too far away skiing the Verbier 4 valleys and Evolène (a small ski area about half way between the 4 valleys and Zermatt). Condtions, particularly up high, were superb. In Zermatt it was great to see most of the itineraries were open (they still are). However, last week’s winds and (for Zermatt, to a lesser extent) the high temperatures really seem to have had a negative effect on the skiing. Unfortunately GFS is not holding out much of an improvement in the short term. It is a real pity. If I had been posting a week ago I would have said we were having a good/very good season.

snow conditions
Arrived in Zermatt today. We're staying at Grunsee so we just skied Riffleberg for a few hours. It was sunny and warm and let's just say you might want to make sure you have sharp edges. There were some of the faces off the main piste that were soft enough to ski the steeps. Otherwise just groomers on pretty firm stuff and by 2:30-3:00 everything in the shade is getting icy. Will take our time with breakfast tomorrow and check out TrockenerSteg and Glacier Paradise and I'll report back.
snow conditions
Quick question regarding ski passes for zermatt. Assume there is no discount if you buy online or earlier than on the day. Heading out on Friday and unsure if to buy prior to arriving or not. Thanks
ski holidays
Would any locals like to comment on the possibility of the Cervinia to Zermatt crossing being open anytime over this weekend?
ski holidays
@risb98, they have demand pricing. Cheapest at least a couple of months ago. Bit like easyJet, or indeed sbb. They won’t go down in price!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
Would any locals like to comment on the possibility of the Cervinia to Zermatt crossing being open anytime over this weekend?

It is open at present. The winds up on Klein Matterhorn are described as “brisk” (ie at that height not particularly bad). They are forecast to remain broadly the same up to Saturday (website not yet showing for Sunday), all be it with stronger gusts. So I would gamble on the link being open at least until Saturday. Things can change quickly of course so mega caveats.

ski holidays
@risb98, just checked my ticket for Sunday onwards. I booked before Xmas and they are only 21 chf more now for a 6 day pass. Nearly 5% more, so not much lost.
snow report
skied Klein Matterhorn today. Absolutely zero wind on Breithorn, Glacier Paradise, or Trokenersteg today. Weather is beautiful, but snow conditions are marginal at best. Very firm on the piste and if you like steeps, the windblown faces to the sides of the pistes are often very good. By days end at around 3pm some shady areas become icy. I'm spoiled living 20 minutes from Snowbird/Alta but we're calling it a "sightskiing" trip with the unbelievable views up here. Will report from Rothorn tomorrow
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@risb98, just checked my ticket for Sunday onwards. I booked before Xmas and they are only 21 chf more now for a 6 day pass. Nearly 5% more, so not much lost.

Thanks. booked trip only a few weeks ago so no great opportunity missed
snow report
@Skyhogg, "sightskiing", I like it
snow report
twoodwar wrote:

There was an article recently in the Valais newspaper complaining how little benefit there was from the early bird discount.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, cheers. A learning for all perhaps?
ski holidays
Is the crossing from Cervinia to Zermatt still likely to be open for the next few days? We’re in Aosta from tomorrow and want to head up to Cervinia for one of the days. Which day is likely to be least busy? I’m assuming a non weekend day?
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Is the crossing from Cervinia to Zermatt still likely to be open for the next few days? We’re in Aosta from tomorrow and want to head up to Cervinia for one of the days. Which day is likely to be least busy? I’m assuming a non weekend day?
Thanks in advance.

It was closed today because of the strong gusts of wind - hitting up to 90 km/h. The next few days all look vulnerable to the lift company deciding the gusts are too strong. Monday potentially looks the best bet - and it will be quieter as well.

ski holidays
@JohnMo, thanks.
snow report
Last report from Zermatt as our 5 days are up. Nothing new with the snow getting more into ice. Today the top to Glacier Paradise was closed so we stayed in the mid sections. Found some windblown off piste that was turntable and I was actually able to drop some tele turns. Rothorn was the same. Overall it's been a lovely week with crappy skiing. We were going to go to Jungfrau tomorrow for a couple of days but we're just heading back to the States instead. At least I got to practice my ice skills. Hoping you get some snow soon. I couldn't believe how bare it is on the face off Rothorn. Back to Snowbird for me...
snow report
@Skyhogg, the bad thing about being from an area with awesome snow is your expectations are high. Us Aussies are easily pleased. Happy to have something to slide on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy