Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@michebiche, it’s unpredictable. I’ve always rated the middle of March for good conditions and uncrowded pistes. But currently we have a warm, rainy spell, and it’s unpleasant, especially later in the day. But new snow and cold weather is forecast for next weekend. As ever, it’s a lottery.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@michebiche, I think the majority of the Alps has suffered from warm temps this season. I was in Saalbach first week of Feb and it wasn’t great. Very warm, slushy snow that was hard going. There was a temp display which I think was at the top of the Reckmoos Sud lift, it was showing 12°c! We still had a good week but it was a shame nevertheless.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks both! Will be back and hoping for better luck next time. Also keen to try the runs roped off for the World Cup
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the homeward journey now having despite the pistes being a tad heavy in the afternoons.( The trick is to take up happy hour in the bergeralm then set off home as the first bashers go past ). We had a good time as usual both skiing& apres ,enjoyed the company of all we came across particularly the scandinavians . We will hopefully return next year more than likely sometime in the first couple of weeks of march as over the years as tatman says above its always been fine ,the one thing to bear in mind is the chaps who look after the pistes have done a very good job in making the best of this years conditions for us .We have pals who have been in other places in austria the last couple of weeks and tell me its been dire with runs becoming shut or a mud fest .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boofont wrote:
@michebiche, I think the majority of the Alps has suffered from warm temps this season. I was in Saalbach first week of Feb and it wasn’t great. Very warm, slushy snow that was hard going. There was a temp display which I think was at the top of the Reckmoos Sud lift, it was showing 12°c! We still had a good week but it was a shame nevertheless.

It was the same last season, spring skiing in Feb. I wonder when we will accept that this is actually the new norm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pyramus, no one can ignore that global warming is causing issues including in ski resorts, however I was in Saalbach mid March 2022 and it was perfect conditions, so yes last 2 years not great but think too early to call it as the new norm in Feb just yet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ribblevalleyblue, agree 100%
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s been snowing down to village level all afternoon, the temperatures are going to be lower for the beginning of the week.
Some runs are closed but it’s still possible to get some enjoyable skiing

The picture is from yesterday morning on 121/121a

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shame , that the mens downhill today has been cancelled was looking forward to watching . However with the feb 25 world cup scheduled to take place in the first two weeks of feb next year will the event impinge on a holiday booking either before during or after . This year we were out the week before the current events and it didnt appear to make any difference other than a couple of runs being closed in hinterglem though next years event is a bigger operation .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski for fun, why was it cancelled? I did think it was quite late in the season. My guess was the piste was too soft? Was there in first week of Feb and it was soft, that run included although as always the left hand side wasn’t accessible. Would still be soft though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cloud visibility ,yesterdays womens race went ahead ,they moved the start time today in the hope of running but unfortunately a no go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boofont, there are high winds today lots of lifts closed as @ski for fun, say visibility at the top isn’t great, at village level its fine, it’s also been snowing on and off all day, heavy at times
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just finished snowing(edit: it’s just started again), @Boofont you can see how low the cloud is on the Schattberg

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 24-03-24 14:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, the piste was/is in excellent condition - according to a British ski instructor friend who was allowed to ski down it. But it’s been snowing a blizzard today.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Argh, ok. Noted. Shame for the bad viz but great that it’s been ok otherwise.
ski holidays
Quite enjoying our week out here despite it being a tad warm.
My daughter of 7 is progressing nicely but slowly and yesterday we had a lovely time with an instructor lapping the top of Bernkogel and building up confidence.

Where would be a good area to head next after that? Ideally a little bit more challenging but better to err on the safe side. I’ve been eyeing the A5 Limberg area - that any good?

Staying in Hinterglemm. I had a run down the 12er kogel by myself and the blue seems a bit steep
snow report
@scr, if you are coming from Hinterglemm, the top of 7 can be a challenge as the is a step section (about 50 meters) where the slope turns left, 4 is a good wide run, 2 is also good and you can lap them using the Limberg chair, the Simalalm is an excellent spot to recharge, the snow should be better as your high, you can also download on the SchattberXpress and take the ski bus back to Hinterglemm

At the 12er kogel, 31 is good it then mergers with 30, head to the top of the Zehner 6er, you stay to the right from the top of the 12erKogel 31a is also ok, you can do 31/30 to the mid station and download. Do these before lunch, if you plan to eat at the Winkler alm its cash only.

If you are out early look at area C , 50,51,56 do them early, the bottom of 50a is a bit steep but you can download.
Avoid doing 146 beyond the gondola after 11!! Download
snow conditions
A quick question for my future reference, are the current conditions in Saalbach normal for this time of year?
snow conditions
@Kramer, no, we have skied in mid to late March since 2016, it's certainly sunny and sometimes soft , however this season has been unusual.
snow report
@radar, please define normal? Very Happy
snow report
@Kramer, and @northantsred,
For as many seasons as I can remember, late March has been enjoyable (decent snow and a relaxed, relatively quiet atmosphere, with plenty of sunbathing and enjoying a cool beer at the Bergeralm in the late afternoon, before skiing home down the Kohlmais), and early April has been one of my favourite times of the season, with a cold snap, fresh snow, and virtually empty pistes.
However…this season is something else. A lot of people are blaming it on climate change, but apparently the El Niño effect is particularly strong this year. And this time last season was amazing, with lots of late snow - so I’m dubious about the climate change attribution. Ask me again in a few years.
Having said all that, I’m writing this (on 28th March) after skiing during the afternoon (from 1.30pm), and it was snowing heavily higher up. I had all conceivable conditions (except for powder and ice): decent snow, slush, flat corduroy, moguls, pea-souper fog/cloud, good visibility. I went up the Bernkogel, skied over to Hochalm, and then crossed over to the Zwölferkogel, and now I’m enjoying a Jagatee in the Hexenhäusl in Hinterglemm. It’s all good practice, and good for fitness and health. So my glass is half full, and I’m optimistic that next season will be more “normal”.
snow report
I just posted some photos on Facebook showing conditions exactly a year ago - half a meter of fresh snow, and ideal skiing conditions. And below is the gist of my report to fellow Facebookers.
As mentioned in my previous post, the current unusual weather (unseasonably warm and rainy) cannot be attributable solely to climate change. El Niño apparently has been unusually influential over this winter, causing warm, wet weather over southern Europe. The weather could be completely different next season.
As for today, well some good friends, famed for their masochistic eagerness to ski relentlessly in all weather and conditions, took me for an afternoon’s “interesting” skiing - Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm, Zwölferkogel. We encountered heavy snow and dense fog on the mountain tops and upper slopes, and (inevitably) rain and slushy snow lower down. However, as temperatures cooled, the rain turned to wet snow at village altitude, and you could see the snow settling on the cars, and turning the lower slopes white again about 200m above the village.
It’s been a strange season, but it struck me today how different it is once you get up above mid-station. Lower down spring has arrived with a vengeance, but higher up you’re suddenly plunged back into a wintry landscape, with unblemished whiteness and snow gently falling (when you’re not in the teeth of a blizzard). Today felt at times like January, with zero temperatures and pretty atrocious weather on the upper slopes.
But after a warming Jagatee in the Hexenhäusl, and a beer in the Spitzbub, and another beer in Bobby’s, I was inclined to look on my afternoon’s floundering about as good practice and excellent fitness training.
ski holidays
I know this the 2023/2024 thread, but as @tatmanstours hasn’t started the 24/25 one, I thought I would still share that I have just booked flights for next year and the Hotel Kristiania, getting excited already !
snow report
We are booked too for Feb half term 25 in an apartment directly next to the Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglemm. The whole family (kids 9 & 11) are looking forward to it, however our Apres Ski will be a lot tamer than our pre kid days even though the Goastall will be within sight of our apartment.
snow report
so whens the 24/25 season thread starting?
snow report
@Baron von chippy, @tatmanstours, usually starts the thread in the late summer Very Happy , the 22/23 thread finished in July Toofy Grin
latest report
“ Baron von chippy
so whens the 24/25 season thread starting?

@Baron von chippy, @tatmanstours, usually starts the thread in the late summer Very Happy , the 22/23 thread finished in July”

It seems to have become a tradition, as well as one of my few useful remaining functions.
I’m happy for next year’s thread to be started any time, but I’m keeping in mind that we still have a summer tourist season to come in Saalbach. There are already a few people on mountain bikes knocking about.
Does anyone think we should start the new thread now, rather than wait until late summer?
snow conditions
Late summer Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, "as well as one of my few useful remaining functions."

Very Happy Very Happy thats a bit harsh on yourself, I'm sure you are still more than useful.

Feel free to start the new thread when you want, don't listen to these upstarts.
latest report
what time does the bus from village to village finish running in the valley?
ski holidays
@Baron von chippy, the ski bus finishes at 5 then there is the 680 public bus which runs through to 7 or slightly later, the bus drivers will let you on without paying if you are still in your ski gear or if you show your ski pass if you are in civvies
latest report
@Baron von chippy, just to add taxis are easy to get they take up to 6/7 and cost about €20 between Saalbach and Hinterglemm
snow report
@radar, cheers.
latest report
gandie wrote:
@tatmanstours, "as well as one of my few useful remaining functions."

Very Happy Very Happy thats a bit harsh on yourself, I'm sure you are still more than useful.

Feel free to start the new thread when you want, don't listen to these upstarts.

No, he really isn’t…. Toofy Grin Laughing wink NehNeh
snow conditions
I have been trying to find a cheap S/H trip next season and the below property keeps getting thrown up by Sunweb. Could someone tell me where it is please? I have looked at images of the Schattbergstube restaurant and it doesn't seem to be above that and I don't think it is the Pension Schattberg up near Sportpension Enzian. Google maps doesn't throw up any more inspiration but it is meant to be in the centre somewhere.

snow conditions
@toyah807, it's definitely not the one by the Enzian, I can't think where it is, @tatmanstours, might know, looking at the photo the background doesn't seem right to me
snow report
@toyah807, apparently https://schattbergstube.members.cablelink.at/lage-gr.htm - Schulstraße 30
latest report
@ousekjarr, Wow that is a seriously old web site! and out of date, interesting from a historical perspective, Del Rossi has now has Hagleitner adjacent to it, Salettl is now Swips, the souvenir shop is still there, the Schattberg Stube now has a terrace front and back

The bar inside Del Rossi hasn't changed though Very Happy
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, thanks. Helpful and fascinating, I agree. Especially the prices.....
ski holidays
@toyah807, the picture from Sunweb is definitely not the Shattberg Stube from any angle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy