Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Austrian Seagull, thanks so much. Is it possible to get a ski bus from Saalbach centre to be on the Gletscherjet 1 gondala when it opens??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied over (from Saalbach) to Leogang today at about midday, and had variable conditions. The Asitz run was generally quite nice - got a bit mushy around the mid-station. The Steinberg run was mushy pretty well all the way down.
On the way back, I was expecting pretty challenging conditions on the south-facing slopes, but actually enjoyed it more than expected. Called at the Bergeralm for happy hour, and skied down just after 5.00pm. The run down was slushy, but I’ve known worse.
The après-ski atmosphere on the sunny terrace of the Bergeralm was superb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, do you know if it's possible to get to the kaprun glacier by ski bus for first lift?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dom4106, I only bother with the glacier in late March or April, and I drive there. To get there by ski bus (which I wouldn’t think is worth the hassle), you would need to get the bus from the Schönleitenbahn to the Zell am See Xpress, then ski down the Schmittenhöhe to the Areitbahn bottom station, then take the ski bus from there to one of the lifts at Kaprun - then spend the next hour or two worrying about what time you would need to set off, so as to make the connections on the reverse journey.
UPDATE: I was forgetting that (new this season) your lift pass covers you for free travel on the local 680 and 260 buses, so you’re not limited to ski buses.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 2-03-24 1:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dom4106, To help answer that question, you’d need to catch the 7.23am or 7.38am number 660 bus from Zell am See railway station to Kaprun Kitzsteinhorn Bergbahn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dom4106, The 6.49am number 680 bus from the Schattberg Express lift station in Saalbach would allow you to make the connection in Zell (at Zell Postplatz rather than the railway station). There are other stops in Saalbach. So, over an hour’s journey time by bus from Saalbach to the Kitzsteinhorn Bergbahn lift station. By car/taxi it is about 45 minutes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok cheers guys. Hopefully I won't need to consider it but at least I have the details. Cheers. Much appreciated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from Zell - lucked out with the snow on Friday as the temps are rising and the slush (at lower levels) is returning quickly . . .if you want to ski the 'sunny side' suggest as ever you get over here in the morning and smash out all the reds (some are already brown / closed at lower levels); have lunch at the Eder Hutte (the best Grostl) and then make your way to the main side for the softned afternoon snow which tbf now has a decent base. . .

Salbaach is holding up better and is generally colder both in the vill and at higher levels - but busier than expected (lots of last minute Dutch & Germans catching conditions). Same rules apply so get over there on the first bus and ski till 2.30pm for a late lunch followed by the last run to apres for best results!

'Discovered' the Soul House in Saalbach (weirdly for the first time ever) which was superb . . .if you're in town better to dump your skis and boots if poss as the walk up is a mild chore if you're knackered - alternatively you can ski to it (slush permitting) on the right hand split of Blue 146. Brilliant Swedish house band (from 3.30pm 6x nights per week) who get the mixed Euro crowd of all ages rocking . . . on Tues my little sister (a local musician/instructor) jumped on stage to bash out 'Angels' by Robbie Williams which went down well with the Nordic drunkards!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Belch, thanks.

We're staying in the centre of Saalbach (arriving tomorrow). Packing my gear last night was weird. I want to be excited but in fear of it being a bit of a let down. Trying to stay positive but it's hard!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Belch, thanks for the update, the stuff on social media is so polarising about the conditions - looking forward to a week on the slopes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ignore the doubters - its more spring-like than normal however plenty of good skiing and the Friday dump reinvigorated the base - the pisteurs were at full tilt and have pushed the snow about nicely. My advice - don't dress too heavy (a long sleeved underlayer and a shell will suffice) but pack a gilet / thin synthetic for lunch if the sun fails to show . . .weds / yesterday had a low-ish cloud level for the majority of the day which created some flat light spots (bring your yellow lenses!) however all was sunny above . . . .get up for first lifts, ski the sunny spots early and you'll have a great time!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bottom half of run 8 is closed at the moment as there is a fire nearby and they are using the water from the reservoir near the run. Unknown reopening time.

Can ski down to the middle station - bit icy but OK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TomBH, apparently a barn fire neat the Ellmaualm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, ah, hopefully noone was hurt.

First run today about 9 45 after it took an hour to sort skis and a snowboard after arriving too late yesterday to sort. Good to see Hansi busy and he sorted the Tatman discount, although the offer of schnapps before 9am had to be declined! Next door (snowboard shop) took ages despite only having a couple of customers in.

Ideally starting an hour earlier tomorrow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arrived yesterday. First time in Saalbach. First day today. Superb given all the negative reports on social. Lunch at the chicken man was awesome, the snow up top is fine. The snow into resort is a damn sight better than I expected, all depends on your level, yes it's heavy but it's also good practice.
The temperatures are definitely falling which is good and all the weather apps are suggestive of a midweek flutter of snow so all in all, it's really early spring and it's all good!
ski holidays
@Dom4106, Told ya! Have a great time!
snow report
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop to do a quick buckle change on a boot? One of mine has half separated itself from the boot today!

Most hire shops tends to do service so should be easy enough but wondering if there's a recommendation? Happy to take it to Hansi but I'm not sure if he does his own repairs.
ski holidays
@TomBH, Hagleitner, take it to the one opposite Swips
snow report
Another satisfied customer recommending Penhab here, had two private ski lessons yesterday and today with Niklas, a young lad but goodness me a perfectionist which is exactly what I needed to help with my dodgy technique. Laughing Aim was to be more comfortable on the morning ice and the afternoon slush and he managed to achieve both.

He met me over in Leogang which was brilliant. Thumbs up all round except that I'm cream crackered now - meant to be going over to the evening slope show thing in Fieberbrunn tonight if I can stay awake.
snow report
@radar, thanks for this.

They had a look did some running repairs and reassured me it's safe to ski for now and suggested a buckle change back in the UK. They were very busy so couldn't sort there and then.

Half way through a week trip now and for anyone coming out soon......the snow on piste is fine - yes it gets slushy in the afternoon but I'm very impressed with the conditions given the warm temps. Colder tomorrow and maybe some snow......
snow report
@Belch, or anyone else in the Saalbach know, I'd like to hire some new skis for a day or two to compare to my 25 year old Scott Missions Eh oh! .
Where would anyone recommend?
Cheers for any advice
Dom
latest report
@Dom4106, hansi best price,@tatmanstours, mention Tatman for the best price, Hagleitner have a good selection as well.
snow report
@Dom4106, Hansi (Hansi’s Best-Price, next door but one to Bobby’s Pub, at the bottom of the main village street, the Dorfstrasse. Hansi will take good care of you, and, as radar has mentioned, give you an extra discount if you tell him that I sent you.
latest report
Thanks both. I'll go down and have a look. Cheers
snow report
Sitting here having just finished (other than travel back tomorrow) our week in Saalbach. Fourth trip overall since 2020 to the ski circus.

A few thoughts from this time.

We stayed in Hotel Kristiana having previously stayed in Die Sonne and Glemmtalerhof. We liked the central location of staying in Saalbach and discovering places like Soul House that we had skied past but not stopped at before. The hotel itself was great- Mrs BH and I agreed the food was better than Die Sonne last year and although we missed the pool the £500-600 price difference more than made up for it and it still had the sauna for post ski. Would definitely recommend the hotel.

Hire wise I used Hansi again and he gave me the Tatman discount no issue - I did email him before to confirm. Mrs BH used Board AT and declared herself happy with it. She's had poor experiences hiring snowboards from shops before so this is a big tick.

I had a private lesson with Penhab (Georgio) and this was the best lesson I've had. For context I tend to have a lesson every ski trip as I find it useful to drive out bad habits that creep back in each year and get something new to learn for the week. I'm not exaggerating when I say after one turn I was given two things to work on for the rest of the lesson and they made a huge difference to my skiing. Highly recommend.

Mrs BH had a go at freestyle snowboarding via a private lesson (via Board AT) and has some new skills, including a 360 spin trick. She enjoyed it.

Conditions wise it's fine. Forget offpiste but stay high on piste and you are fine. We skied over 200km this week with no issues. We made the call to download on all days bar one to avoid the carnage in the valley, only regret is the day we didn't do that!

Ate at our usual favourites of Rosswaldhutte, Hintermaisalm, Hochhorndlerhutte and were all excellent. Bit disappointed with Sonnalm, although I think I just chose poorly from the menu.

Think that's it - hoping to be in and around the region for whole of Jan 2025..... 9.5 months and counting.

Thanks to the regular posters for all their insights and enjoy what is left of the season!
snow report
Arrived yesterday morning the pisteur chaps have done a marvellous job of keeping the pistes in as good a condition as possible under the weather .Low down late afternoon was grim but still possible to get back to village level, higher up was fine for us ageing holiday skiers . The forecast is for colder with some snow . The village apres bars we frequented where full with sardine room only in most creating a lively atmosphere , its good to be back .
snow conditions
We’re in Saalbach now, arrived yesterday and staying in Leogang.
Wishing I hadn’t bought a 7 day lift pass yesterday as the conditions are not great. I commend the staff for keeping it as skiable as it is, but honestly I’ve never seen such poor conditions for April, let alone March. This would be fine for a couple day’s skiing but not a whole week for me.

Any suggestions on if there’s somewhere else we can go by public transport that is part of the same lift pass? I’m even open to buying a separate lift pass in required.

At this rate, will probably visit Salzburg city or somewhere else for a day or two.

Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!
latest report
Kaprun - get there early. Maria Alm looks empty on the webcams - might be worth a recce!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarcFSki wrote:
We’re in Saalbach now, arrived yesterday and staying in Leogang.
Wishing I hadn’t bought a 7 day lift pass yesterday as the conditions are not great. I commend the staff for keeping it as skiable as it is, but honestly I’ve never seen such poor conditions for April, let alone March. This would be fine for a couple day’s skiing but not a whole week for me.

Any suggestions on if there’s somewhere else we can go by public transport that is part of the same lift pass? I’m even open to buying a separate lift pass in required.

At this rate, will probably visit Salzburg city or somewhere else for a day or two.

Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!

Was skiing in Leogang with friends yesterday .Leogang higher up was great but agreed lower down on the Saalbach side was all sugary conditions
Never ventured over to Hinterglemm which is more N facing which might be better PM
I’m based in Kirchberg and tend not to ski much after mid day atm though it is meant to be getting colder with some small amount of snow forecast most days over the next week
ski holidays
I’m in Hinterglemm this week and today the föhn wind gave us the double whammy of warmth and closing the higher lifts (at least around Schattberg and Zwolferkogel). Soft bumps most of the day.

Föhn meant to stop tonight so hopefully conditions improving along the week. Looking very green lower down!
snow report
@MarcFSki, keep the faith. Much better conditions and much quieter today. Snow incoming tonight, tbc on snow line and volume but snowHead
ski holidays
I’m at Spacey’s Spitzbub party right now, and it’s noticeably colder than it has been for several weeks.
ski holidays
This weeks forecast at Village and 2000 metres.

snow conditions
Looking out from our hotel balcony can make out the snow line rain easing at village level cloud lifting and a chink of blue sky as well as a few hardened skiers coming down the shattberg red. For us will be a later start as not for getting wet . Yesterday we had good day on much improved colder pistes which didnt cut up or become as mogulled plus we covered the miles before having a full on apres time .
ski holidays
Cleared up and 15cm of powder above 1500m, maybe some more tonight. Stay above mid station and conditions are excellent Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The runs are certainly holding up well yesterday we had a good day however not sure this was the weather or more to do with the pistes being quieter than Ive ever seen. Coming back from Leogang late afternoon was much easier on the well maintained pistes than last weekend .Our hotel filled up a bit with more folk coming in last night (long weekenders) ,however the general vibe is less folk about and a higher average age makes me feel positively young but that cant bode well for the future. Several of the on piste huts were closed ,we had lunch in a usually rammed place and there was three people sat outside and about a dozen inside as we left usually its hard to find a table.
snow conditions
Skied 8 yesterday excellent condition apart from the last 20 meters, I normally head over to the blue and go down to the 12er Express, headed up to Seekar so good did it twice, then down 40 always good, the last section bypassing the black was churned, then worked our way back to Saalbach.

@ski for fun, The demographic will change quite a bit next week! The Dutch are in town.
snow conditions
Skied over to Fieberbrunn today 125 and 123 were in excellent condition, the top half of 105 was very good the bottom half not so.

Downloaded on the Reckmoos Sud as I didn’t fancy the bottom half of 123 based on past experience.
snow conditions
Just back after a great week - the snow on Tuesday made for a great couple of days midweek. Having not been before, are those typical conditions for this time of year? The general consensus was that we’d definitely come back but probably earlier in the year. Yesterday in particular was very warm after 11ish
snow conditions
@michebiche, definitely not typical conditions, this was a year ago today. Yes it’s warmer mid March onwards and in the late afternoon it can get soft.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy