Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - what are skiing conditions really like in Saalbach/Hinterglem - we are heading with a party of 10 - 2 families of intermediate skiers on 2nd of March to ski for 4 days, everyone's only ski break this year and I suggested Saalbach and organized it. Now getting very nervous the ski-ing will be poor even with some snow forecast this week - next week looks like drying and warming up again. It will be what it will be but I need to manage expectations! Have 4 18-22 year old boys in the group who just want to ski hard and fast with the parents trying to keep up!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
\I wouldnt panic we generally as this year go in the first 2 weeks of march and we have never had major a problem . The beauty about saalbach it has access to both north and south facing slopes . The main mountain name translates as shadow mountain which means that for most of the winter doesnt get that much sun at village level so generally keeps the snow and futhermore the pistes are kept and maintained by what are the best piste management and operative team that you are likely to come across. We cant alter the weather but with a certain amount of planning re the area you head for at certain times you are unlikely to miss out much . Its unlikely that the run down to viehofen will be open this year but thats not unusual in march at times but thats about the only one and the area is big . The easiest way to put your mind at rest is to watch the webcams particularly the home village area of kohlmais and the runs around leogang mid station late afternoon . Mindst one run you need to avoid on a warm sunny day after lunch is no2 as even in the best of conditions can be a tad awkward. Im sure you will be fine .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ski for fun, been very warm this year. I was there first week of Feb. Even the north facing slopes were quite soft. Lets hope that changes for March.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Simone, 24cm of snow forecast for Friday at village level, which will make a big difference, we are always there in March, there’s plenty to ski, if it does get too slushy we will take the gondola down from mid station. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@surferrosa
How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 70 euro each way, however if you are a solo traveller it is 120 euro! if there are three or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Just paid Euro 220 for a shared transfer return trip for 1 adult to the below transfer company from Salzburg airport to Saalbach arrival on a Saturday and departure on a Friday

www.austriatransfer.com/en

They seem to be part of the travel agency Rudigier Reisen, were recommended by our hotel and tourist information and run up to 8 return shuttles a day
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arriving on Friday - just in time for the hopeful monster dump and empty(ish) slopes for Saturday powder skiing . . . snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flying in tomorrow (finally!)... looking at the Webcams has sent excitement through the roof!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snorks wrote:
Flying in tomorrow (finally!)... looking at the Webcams has sent excitement through the roof!

Also arriving tomorrow! It seems like Bergfex is struggling with everyone watching the webcams Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're arriving Monday, leave some snow for us! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi! We’re currently in Saalbach. The snow certainly arrived today at village level. Started around 8am and is still snowing (7pm). Easily 12 inches at the moment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SkiDerbo, thanks for the update to excite us further! Hope you have a brilliant day tomorrow... snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buchanan101 wrote:
dunc999 wrote:
I'm planning my "boys" trip for 27th Jan-3rd Feb, we are heading back to Austria for the first time in 7 years (one of the boys veto'd the PreBB bash) and broadly planning a return to Mayrhofen. However my interest is piqued in the Salbaach/Hinterglemm area and wonder if it would be a good fit. 50 something "boys" good intermediates, mainly on piste but will have a dabble off the sides, like a few beers and a band if we can, and decent accommodation (B&B).

Would the cognoscenti recommend it for us and which parts? Thanks.

Slightly better skiing in S-H in that there's more of it easy to get to (no need for train) and access from and back to the village is much easier than Mayrhofen (I'm talking Saalbach - lifts out in 3 main directions). Whole area nicely linked - includes Fieberbrunn and Leogang and even - though not quite so well linked - Zell am See (which is a lovely resort but somewhat limited and very busy - in 2022 I skied over to S-H half the days I was in Zell am See)

Top not as high as Mayrhofen/ZamZ by ~400m, but of course being Austria snow making is excellent. S-H pistes are very much at the intermediate level, and there's loads at that level - it is made for "good intermediates". Can be a touch samey on the main south facing side of the valley, mostly straight down, and there's quite a number of trails linking the pistes across the slope (which are fine for skiers but boarders can struggle). The lift system is even better than the Ziller valley - you won't find a better one. Few queues. Apres I think is fairly similar, as is the general quality of the village - Mayrhofen surprised me 4 years ago after not being there since the 80s - quite a classy little town now.

So would you say that Saalbach isn’t a good choice for cautious intermediates? We started skiing in our 40s early 50s now, and by the end of the week and some lessons are back to being intermediates proper, but find the first few days hairy???
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we’re a bunch of similar Brits (I heard there’s too many of us - shame as we love Austrian hospitality but not keen on too many of us taking over!) we’re heading over to Hotel Bauer on March 9th - one boarder,five skiers - read this forum with great interest (TatmanTours & Radar with great tips) - i guess it’ll all make sense when we arrive - think we’re H/B but will defo want to try any recommendations for mountain restaurants (who’s this Chicken Man?), good runs on the circus (praying for snow) and good bars for aprés and after (prefer local to touristy, smaller & trendy vibe rather than old school Moosewirt stuff)
any help would be great! (or point me in the right direction)
thanks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we reckon that saalbach is ideal/ perfect for cautious intermediates and others , we are a tad older than you and so take things easier than we did years ago but still full days on the pistes , apres ski, dinner, but no longer go to the night clubs. Saalbach provides us with a big mileage a sense of adventure in a big area on as well prepared pistes ,little queing including a marvellous lift system that you will find. In town/on piste restaurants bars and all the amenities comfy well run ( you pay for what you get) hotels in a vibrant atmosphere after only missing 2 years skiing in the last 52 my only regret is not going to saalbach before coming here for the last dozen or more years just hope I /we can manage another dozen ( ps have I sold it to you ) ho ho cheers
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks that’s reassuring, looking at booking on the Sunweb site going to have four teenagers in tow, no doubt they’ll enjoy the Austrian apres scene yikes
snow report
@banff87, chicken man is the https://www.hendl-fischerei.at/en/, if there’s more than two of you book!
Some mountain restaurants are cash only:
Thurneralm 156
Pfefferalm 70a
Bergeralm 158 / 166, has own ATM
Winkler Alm 30, 12er Kogel midstation
Hintermaisalm 38
The numbers are the run they are on.

We don’t have anything in Saalbach quite like the Moosewirt, we like Burgi’s small up by the Kholmais lift station, further along towards town Spitzbub, also the Eva Alm which is right by the Bauer, for a more Austrian feel then the Hinterhagalm you don’t need to ski back plenty of cabs outside
snow conditions
thank you for that - i’ll make sure to book mr chicken!
looking forward to it!
snow report
Heading out on Saturday and am considering buying passes online and collecting from the self serve machine it says there is at some of the gondola stations to avoid Sunday morning queues as we don't arrive until the evening.

Anyone know if they are accessible outside of normal ticket office opening hours? Alternatively do the ticket offices for the lifts that open at 8am also open then as could pop in and grab them before it gets too busy.

In case anyone didn't notice I'm keen to maximise slope time!
latest report
TomBH wrote:

Anyone know if they are accessible outside of normal ticket office opening hours?

Certainly at 12er koogel, there was a ticket machine available outside. Main ticket office opened at 8am. No queues over Feb half term week
ski holidays
@TomBH, at the schattberg xpress and the 12er kogel from 8am
ski holidays
@banff87, have DM'd you Very Happy
snow conditions
@radar, thanks. I'll pop down to Schattenberg.

Roll on next week!
snow report
Folks, how is the snow in the area?

Packing for a flight, first ski day Sunday, and would rather not carry two pairs of skis (usually take well-tuned SL skis for firm piste and fatties without aggressive edges for powder/slush). But this is a work trip rather than personal to my usual resorts, I won't have a car and will be doing lunches, so changing skis in the car park as conditions change won't be a possibility. Got to pick the right tool for the conditions (annoying, as who doesn't love a kit faff, eh? Smile )

It looks warm. If slushy by mid morning, I'll just bring the well-waxed fatties for playing in the soft stuff on piste. Saves me a few kilos of lugging things around, and my ageing back will thank you...

Looking forward to this. My first trip to the area. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
You just need the SL skis for the next couple of weeks. It’s pretty warm everything that looks untracked is in fact stodge and sticky as hell.
latest report
Thanks. Actually, I use the fatties for stodgy, slushy piste (no plans to head off-piste as skiing with a mixed ability piste group, don't know the area, and off piste conditions look grim, as you say).

I learned long ago that warm, slushy pistes are way more fun on a mid fat ski, well waxed, without overly aggressive edges. In such conditions, I only take the SLs for early, icy mornings, when I know I can swap out for the fatties for slush later in the day. Those big old boats drift and slide beautifully, and take lumps, bumps and irregularities in their stride. Easier on the feet in those conditions, too. And they are friendly twin tips (well-used and old Whitedot Preachers), so little pops and tricks in the slush dont generally result in a double ejection. This is their last outing as I've had them for over a decade, the bindings are pretty much done and they've been re-drilled too many times to save. Will be a nice ending for some skis that I am quite attached too - replacements arrive in time for the Easter trip.

Your post indicates an hour or so of hard piste, followed by warm, slushy conditions. Fatties it is. Also sounds like T-shirt weather. Love skiing in a T-shirt or hoodie, in the sunshine.

And thank you for the info! I am very much looking forward to seeing an area I've never skiied before Smile
latest report
@Harry Flashman,
dont know wether you are aware but if your weeks liftpass starts on a sunday you can avail yourself of the free day before starting at 3pm ie sat . It all depends on your arrival in resort but most years weve made it and it almost feels like gaining 1/2 a day
latest report
Could anyone point me in the direction of websites for booking self catering apartments in Saalbach please? I’m restricted to February half term and usually do a DIY trip to the dolomites but I’m struggling with finding accommodation in Saalbach. The tour operators all seem to be HB and are quite expensive. Many thanks.
snow report
@Joop, the world cup is on from 4 to 16 February.
Try @tatmanstours, he has connections
The tourists office is a good source
You could try the person who rents out ours he has a number of properties
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063801000092

There is also Holiday Flats 24 and Booking.com
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks radar
We’d be arriving as the World Cup finished so hopefully that wouldn’t cause too much of an issue?
ski holidays
ski for fun wrote:
@Harry Flashman,
dont know wether you are aware but if your weeks liftpass starts on a sunday you can avail yourself of the free day before starting at 3pm ie sat . It all depends on your arrival in resort but most years weve made it and it almost feels like gaining 1/2 a day

Thanks! Sadly only in resort for 3 days, and I suspect my colleagues have Saturday plans involving lots of drinks, until the early hours of Sunday morning.

I am away from a 3 year old and 5 year old for the first time in a while, and have a hotel room to myself. I intend to get 10 hours of sleep, undisturbed.

Is it wrong that I am almost as excited about this, as I am about hitting the slopes?
ski holidays
@Harryflashman - we are also arriving on saturday night for 3.5 days skiing - hoping to make the most of whatever conditions we find. looking for some advice from this forum on good routes to take to get the most out of the time we have . party of 9 ; 2 families young adults(16-22) and not so younger older ones. Piste skiers, blues ,reds and some blacks , the younger ones keen to move at pace and we will keep up. Any recommendations on where best to head and where best to avoid? We are staying in the Hotel Art Kristina following a recommendation I saw here. Hoping to get off early each morning and hope to get to the 'Chicken Man' one day if we can get a booking.
Had looked at 'The Challenge' on the App but think conditions may not be up to attempting that but maybe sections of it ! young ones will be hitting a bit of Apres Ski - old ones will be nursing aching bodies and a glass or 2 of wines .@Harryflashman might see you on the slopes!
snow conditions
@Simone, It’s almost certain that the best conditions will be found first thing in the morning and I mean first thing. It will also be quieter the first 60-90 minutes. Be aware that some lifts open from 8.00am, which is 30 or 60 minutes earlier than others. It really is worth setting the alarm that bit earlier. My favourite start to the day at the moment is to get the Hochalm gondola at 8.00am and to ski the numerous pistes in the Hochalm area until it starts to get cut up and busy. After that you could ski to the valley and get the Zwolfer-Nord gondola, ski down Red 40 while it’s still quite early, go back up Zwolfer-Nord gondola and ski the area including pistes 30-34, before skiing down to Hinterglemm on 37 or 38. Once in Hinterglemm you’ve got the options of going up the Westgipfel gondola or walking a few hundred metres to the Reiterkogel gondola.
I tend to split the SkiCircus into two areas and alternate between skiing Hochalm/Hinterglemm/Fieberbrunn one day and Saalbach/Leogang/Schattberg Ost the next. Chicken Man is the latter day. Personally I find the other two restaurants alongside the Chicken Man at the top of the Kleiner Asitz (the Asitz Brau and Alte Schmiede) just as good. Enjoy
ski holidays
Its best not to make plans too far in advance as we all know weather and conditions can change very quickly . However one of the easiest ways to plan your days from saalbach with an eye on the weather and conditions is using the 3 main lifts out of saalbach. Basically once as high as you can go either turn left or right using saalbach as the centre of a figure of eight . This gives you the opportunity of skiing most of the area including leogang fieberbrun the far side of hinterglem and you can reverse your route i.e one day turn left and one day turn right at the top would get you on the majority of the main lifts and areas.Another thing that doesnt get mentioned often is the bus between both ends of the main saalbach hinterglem valley is useful for either starting or ending the day thus making full use of your pass.
Another wheeze weve found is to head to the fieberbrun area then take an early afternoon bus along to leogang before 3pm and make your way back to saalbach. The beauty about the area is in a week there are so many options and diversions its possible to ski different routes with a sence of adventure every day . We have found from our trips in march the only (subject to overall conditions) run to avoid is run 2 down to schonleiten after lunch on a sunny day it can be carnage.It doesnt look likely that the run down to viehofen will be open this next couple of weeks which is a pity however it is still possible to access zell am see if you feel the need by taking the skibus though personally having been across a couple of times prefer the main area esp if time/days are a limiting factor. The skiing is only half the story ,the on slope hostelries and in town apres bars etc are the essence of austrian hospitaity with somewhere to suit everyone. Its a case of each to their own but damn near impossible not to have fun and a good time here, cheers
ski holidays
@Simone, just a few of our favourite areas.

Hochalm as already mentioned but best to do that early in the day.

Run 40 is good fun but won't be for everyone as it is steep in places. We also enjoy top to bottom runs on the Zwolferkogel.

Run 8 above Hinterglemm is a good one as is 161.

We also enjoyed our day out in Fieberbrunn last year and will be going there again this year.

Agree on avoiding run 2 in the afternoon if bumps are not your thing!

We are also arriving Saturday and in the same hotel - maybe see you at the ski lockers!
snow report
@TomBH - funny we are in the same hotel , so much for being anonymous on the internet, we are a 2 family group (irish) don't think you will miss us! Thanks for all the tips . Just hoping the weather cools down a small bit!
snow report
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if people on the ground could help manage my expectations around the conditions. We're arriving on Saturday, 2 strong intermediates, for a week. There's a LOT of contrasting reports on social media about what the snow cover / skiing conditions are like. Official resort accounts are giving a decent picture, only to be contrasted with other reports being extremely negative showing lots of grass and doom and gloom.

Yes I'm away from my desk for a week, yes I'll definitely make the most of it but at the same time rather than spend the next 48 hours irrationally tapping on various apps on my phone, I thought it may be worthwhile asking people who are actually there.

Is there decent skiing to be had up high still? Do I need to bring a thick novel?

Cheers
Dom
snow conditions
@Dom4106, I'm not visiting Saalbach this year, but have a look at https://saalbach.panomax.com/schattberg and you will see that the south-facing slopes in the valley are white ribbons through green pastures. They will be soft from before 10 each day.

On the other hand, look at https://saalbach.panomax.com/kohlmais and you will see that the north-facing slopes have snow down to valley level. They'll stay in pretty good condition until about 12, then degrade quickly as the hot air gets to them.

The air temperature (see https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/weather ) remains unseasonably warm, and that means that the slopes can be hard in the morning after some overnight frost, but will soften up by lunchtime and be very sugary or actively slushy at the end of the day, especially lower down. If you stick to the north facing slopes and get out early there is still good skiing to be had, but if you are used to skiing from 9 to 4:30 on perfect pistes then it will be disappointing and/or very difficult for you.

We were in Flachau last week, and had the same albeit with some lower temperatures midweek. We made the best of it, racking up 4500-5500 vertical metres per day compared to normally being in the 9000-11000 range at this time of year, which was almost entirely because the lower slopes were not worth the effort while the higher ones were technically challenging after noon as they turned into piles of sugar and we typically bailed before 3:30 as a result.
snow conditions
Question for people in resort, is there any point considering the bus to the Kaprun glacier? Is that a worthwhile option?
latest report
@Dom4106, hopefully cooling down mid-next week though
snow report
@Dom4106, I was up on the Kitzsteinhorn earlier today. I got on the Gletscherjet 1 gondola at exactly 8.00am. It is advertised as opening at 8.15am, but it invariably opens before then. The sun was out and slope conditions were absolutely superb. It was very quiet for the first hour and I had several pistes to myself. By 9.30am people had started to arrive on the K-onnection (the cable car that comes across from the Maiskogel mountain in Kaprun). By 10.00am queues were starting to form for the main lifts, so I took a coffee break. By 10.30am some of the lift queues were horrendous, so I skied down the Langwied piste and took the cable car across to the Maiskogel, as more and more people were arriving on the Kitzsteinhorn. I had a little play on the Maiskogel, which was also in decent nick, but obviously softer than the glacier, before heading home at midday.
If I’d wanted to ski the whole day, I would have been quite happy to stay up on the glacier, as the weather and snow were so good. It’s not possible to avoid the crowds completely, but certain runs are always quieter than others. As you look at the piste map, the runs on the extreme left and extreme right always tend to be quieter. Also, like many places, the slopes are considerably quieter at lunchtime.
I’d certainly recommend the Kitzsteinhorn if you’ve not been there before. Apart from the skiing, you can also visit the Gipfelwelt 3,000 at the top of the funicular railway (restaurant, movie, viewing platforms, tunnel walk, etc.) and the ice camp at 2,600 metres.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy