Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm railway

Poster: A snowHead
The one bright spot is that they are not charging for parking which I will admit is a surprise to me since they installed the NPR cameras, so good news for the ski tourers Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An article in today’s P&J that largely regurgitates the CML statement - but does add:

Quote:
The Cairngorm funicular will remain out of service throughout December as winter conditions slow progress on the hill.

It is starting to look as if HIE is just going to keep stringing everyone along?

Are they simply going around engineering consultants to find someone willing to risk giving it the OK to run? Skullie
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haggishunter wrote:

Are they simply going around engineering consultants to find someone willing to risk giving it the OK to run? Skullie

Don't they also have to get approval/sign off from the Department of Transport? Presumably they had that when they first ran the funicular again earlier this year after the £25 million repairs, do they need new DoT approval after the latest 'snagging work'? It took the DoT several months to issue approval for the new Glencoe chair....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
haggishunter wrote:
An article in today’s P&J that largely regurgitates the CML statement - but does add:

Quote:
The Cairngorm funicular will remain out of service throughout December as winter conditions slow progress on the hill.

It is starting to look as if HIE is just going to keep stringing everyone along?

It is an open secret that:
i) The concrete beams need replaced with steel
ii) As result the track has cracked and train is inoperable.
iii) HIE plan to make a case that extra public funds (plus money from recent court case) be used to make it right.

The train unlikely to run anytime soon - if at all.

Repairing the Ciste Chairs (estimated cost 500k) suddenly looking like an absolute bargain.
Instead they chopped them down - whilst already fully aware that the funicular was facing future problems.
Unless there is snow to carpark level then Cairngorm plan not to open the mountain beyond the tiny beginners area magic carpet with snow maker.
So effectively that means the ski season already over before it has begun.

Time to dig out the skins!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-11-23 13:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Haggis_Trap, it doesn't alter the point of your post but do you mean aluminium? Steel would be a much more normal structural material
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Original design as noted in the Parkswatch links was steel beams on concrete pads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, it doesn't alter the point of your post but do you mean aluminium? Steel would be a much more normal structural material

I stand corrected!
Posted edited to reflect correct replacement material.

Ever since it built the funk-ular has been a shambles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So…..if only they’d built it as designed in the first place ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ster wrote:
So…..if only they’d built it as designed in the first place ?

Then not as much of the budget would have gone through Morrison Construction’s books. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It really is very sad how all of this has been handled. I loved the Cairngorms in the late 90s/early 2000s, what a mess it is now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@damanpunk, yep, snowsports at Cairngorm have been sabotaged by HIE's incompetence. Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread has more legs than the train ever had.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I loved the Cairngorms in the late 90s/early 2000s, what a mess it is now
In terms of terrain, it's still a great area, especially with full snow cover. It has (for Scotland) fairly reliable snow cover, especially at altitude; a long season; and is especially good for access to some excellent ski touring.

Such a shame what it has become with the removal of key lifts and the train debacle.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, the reliable top bowls make the funicular issues even more frustrating - no way to get to them when there's no snow at car park level Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
the reliable top bowls make the funicular issues even more frustrating - no way to get to them when there's no snow at car park level
Except for good old Shanks's Pony (with skis on back) of course! Laughing Such a reliable beast!
snow report
They are completely missing the family market, I live in the area, the amount of inbound families who would ski if it was reasonable cost and you could get your kids up into the bowl would be quite high. The Lecht has the best available family terrain albeit less snow sure. Getting kids (and some adults) up the M1 tow isn't always easy or possible. My then 8 year old managed but only just ! I've volunteered to do ski patrol again this year so we will see if I ever get a reply .... but just such a wasted opportunity.
snow report
Yet another twist to this tragic tale. Over a pint in The Pine Martin (Glenmore) a fellow frustrated skier commented as follows.
Two resorts in Austria have "abandoned that funicular as it's too expensive to repair"!
Can any other Cairngorm watchers offer any thoughts on this comment.
latest report
orange wrote:
They are completely missing the family market, I live in the area, the amount of inbound families who would ski if it was reasonable cost and you could get your kids up into the bowl would be quite high. The Lecht has the best available family terrain albeit less snow sure. Getting kids (and some adults) up the M1 tow isn't always easy or possible. My then 8 year old managed but only just ! I've volunteered to do ski patrol again this year so we will see if I ever get a reply .... but just such a wasted opportunity.

If only there was a chairlift up from Coire na Ciste...
That they hadnt chopped down out of spite in full knowledge the funicular had issues.
snow conditions
Snow making and conveyor’s are ideal for families and beginners, let everyone else walk up Eh oh!
Let the tourers tour.
snow conditions
In response to the comments CML didn't delete in response to their ludicrously misjudged 'signature ski resort' Facebook post, there was a repeated copy and paste link to an HIE statement issued in October that they were looking forward to completing the project of Funicular repairs during November.

It is now December and time for the gas lighting, bullshitting and for that matter the continued existence of HIE to stop!
ski holidays
HIE site still says “ Cairngorm funicular works set to continue into November”, doesn’t say which November though.
latest report
ster wrote:
HIE site still says “ Cairngorm funicular works set to continue into November”, doesn’t say which November though.

A wee birdie told me that the contractors that were working on the Funicular in November walked off the job and new contractors have been on site since Monday. There has certainly been a swarm of orange high viz around the piers and 'scarf' joints the past 2 days! Puzzled
snow conditions
Surprise, surprise (not!)

Cairngorm railway shut for safety reasons for indefinite period

Concerns have been raised about the future of the beleaguered Scottish Government agency-owned Cairngorm railway as it emerged that it will be closed for an indefinite period and won't be available for the start of the winter season.

Calls have been made for a public inquiry after it was confirmed that safety issues are continuing to dog the UK's highest railway, which was taken out of service on August 25 while a series of 'snagging' works were carried out and was due back in action at the start of September. But after nearly four months it remains out of service.
snow report
Surely, the death knell for skiing at Cairngorm Mountain... Crying or Very sad
snow report
Even when it was working it ruined the experience each time we went due to massive queues, with the end effect we have only been a handful of times since it opened. I doubt we will ever go back there in winter.
snow report
Disgrace, Cairngorm can be saved, needs to be run by competent people tho. It's always my last choice but they often have snow when the others don't and have good beginner snow sure terrain up top, just impossible to access now.
latest report
Absolutely disgusting but part of the ongoing cowdoo we get from an incompetent and frankly illegal government
ski holidays
I guess it will appear in an episode of Abandoned Engineering at some point in the future - “What was this structure, what purpose did it serve, why was it left to decay……etc..”
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
I guess it will appear in an episode of Abandoned Engineering at some point in the future - “What was this structure, what purpose did it serve, why was it left to decay……etc..”

I think a planning consent condition for building the funicular in the first place was that when it (permanently) is taken out of use the structure has to be removed.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, pity.

And what sucker gets to pay for that now that the commercial operator has gone? Let me guess, the public in the guise of the HIE? If so, another great use of public funds, talk about tin-pot.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
ster wrote:

I think a planning consent condition for building the funicular in the first place was that when it (permanently) is taken out of use the structure has to be removed.

Abandoned Engineering better get up there now then and start filming ...!!
ski holidays
orange wrote:
Absolutely disgusting but part of the ongoing cowdoo we get from an incompetent and frankly illegal government

The Scottish government tried to get rid of HIE in 2017...
Tory, Lab and Lib Dem grouped together to prevent that from happening.

Unfortunately as result of that vote, and maintaining their own independent board, it seems HIE remain basically unaccountable to government.

MSPs vote to 'reverse' Highlands and Islands Enterprise plans
The government wants a new management body to oversee all of Scotland's enterprise and skills agencies.
Opposition members say this would be a "death knell for HIE as we know it", and backed a motion asking the government to "reverse" its decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38652032
latest report
@Haggis_Trap, back to that BS pro SNP point scoring?

The HIE is wholly responsible for executing Scot Govt policy

https://www.hie.co.uk/about-us/our-board/

“The HIE Board normally meet at least six times a year and has overall responsibility for ensuring that we fulfil our statutory duties and meet the aims and objectives set out by the Scottish Government”
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, back to that BS pro SNP point scoring?

The HIE is wholly responsible for executing Scot Govt policy
https://www.hie.co.uk/about-us/our-board/
“The HIE Board normally meet at least six times a year and has overall responsibility for ensuring that we fulfil our statutory duties and meet the aims and objectives set out by the Scottish Government”

BS ? I am a huge critic of what happened on Cairngorm.
However history clearly records those MSPs who fought to avoid HIE being abolished / reformed.

NATIONALIST politicians in the north have been accused of betraying their constituents after voting against protecting the board of Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE).
Opposition parties united against the SNP to vote against plans to replace the board with an overarching national body.

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/snp-members-in-north-accused-of-betraying-their-constituents-over-hie-vote-145039/

HIE board survives after Scottish Government U-turn on shake-up
https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/news/hie-board-survives-after-scottish-government-u-turn-on-shake-up-143294/

Vote on HIE will be taken into account, says Sturgeon
The Scottish government will reflect carefully on calls to allow Highlands and Islands Enterprise its own board, Nicola Sturgeon has said.
The government wants a new body to oversee all of Scotland's enterprise and skills agencies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38677356

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-12-23 23:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Scot Govt could have done what it liked with HIE. They did f-all, let HIE create this shambles, now they bear the blame.
snow report
ster wrote:
Scot Govt could have done what it liked.

As you might expect in a democracy Scot Gov required a vote in parliament to implement plans to abolish HIE.
... they lost that vote, to a Lib-Dem motion, in 2017.
At that time opposition argued it would be unnecessary Edinburgh centralisation.

MSPs vote to 'reverse' Highlands and Islands Enterprise plans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38652032
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, no courage of their convictions then, saps.

But still fully under Scot Govt control as the minister put it:

“ Economy secretary Keith Brown said HIE would "continue to be locally based, managed and directed" under his plans.”
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, no courage of their convictions then, saps.
But still fully under Scot Govt control as the minister put it:
“ Economy secretary Keith Brown said HIE would "continue to be locally based, managed and directed" under his plans.”

^ A key feature of the 2017 vote is that HIE retained its own board which (for right or wrong) remains independent of party politics.
Being accountable to government is very different to being controlled by government.

HIE Board safe as Scottish Government U-Turn decision
Rhoda Grant MSP, Scottish Labour Highlands and Islands,
“It is welcome that the Nationalist have scrapped their plan to centralise control of the Highlands and Islands Enterprise.
“The independence of the board should never have been put at risk in the first place,” she continued.
“Decisions about the Highlands and Islands economy are best taken locally, rather than by ministers sitting behind a desk in Edinburgh. We will watch very carefully to ensure that the Strategic Board does not encroach on the responsibilities of the Highlands and Islands board.”

https://www.welovestornoway.com/index.php/6373-hie-board-saved-with-scottish-government-u-turn
snow conditions
The Scot Govt was asleep at the wheel for years on this, they could have directed as both HIE & the minister said and watched as the HIE wasted public money time and time again on this unmitigated disaster for the area.
ski holidays
Quote:
illegal Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy