Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 1 day ski challenge.. can it be done.

Poster: A snowHead
thelem wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Yeah that's right, because the 'plane definitely won't be flying unless I'm on it, will it!

Like the straw breaking the camel's back, your ticket might be the one that persuades the airline to run an additional daily flight for the whole of next season.

But most probably not!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greengriff wrote:
Pastorius wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Quite. Might as well do a challenge to see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours

Yeah that's right, because the 'plane definitely won't be flying unless I'm on it, will it!

Bit of a poor argument that, planes run on demand, if you book it, they will put more on.

You sad pricks won't give up will you? Do you trawl threads looking for something to moan about? What actual evidence can you produce that if little old me booked a seat on a 'plane it would cause them to put another one on?

Calm down dear. Guilty conscience?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely not. Just puzzlement at the mindset of some people. I can imagine the internal sighing of the the poor sods who know them in real life and realise they've just been spotted by them in Waitrose, in spite of their best effort to avoid them, and so are now going to be stuck with them sucking the joy out of their lives for however long it takes for them to come up with a reasonable sounding excuse to edge them off....

'Ah sh*t, there's Timmy. Marjorie, stand in front of me and look at the soy products, maybe he won't see me. Oh dangly bits, he has...'

And so on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@greengriff, definitely sounds like a guilty conscience.

Mixed with a big spoonful of naivety of how airline commerce works.

As you were.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, well aren't you the most righteous, and sitting in judgement of someone else, for whatever reason you've chosen.

It's a forum about leisure activities, and so could all be argued as unnecessary. Are you a participant?

You have no idea what measures any other forum contributors are making to offset, reduce, cut out, or otherwise mitigate their lifestyle. Or indeed their impact in any environmental sphere.

Fairly familiar stance of offering criticism and then acting as offended when confronted, followed by another twist of labelling your target as somehow being or feeling guilty.

What are you here for? The site interest or plain agitant?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow some people really don’t like being told the truth do they?

I’m not “sitting in judgement”. I pointed out the plain fact that flying to Geneva and back in a day, just for the lols, wasn’t very environmentally friendly. At least 3 other posters agreed with me, 2 of which pointed out that saying “the plane is flying anyway” was a lame excuse. @greengriff, CLEARLY didn’t like being told that, and I left the thread. I only commented again when he continued his aggressive replies to others.

In my experience, if you “offer criticism” to someone and their instant reaction is aggression, as @greengriff did, it’s normally a sure fire signal that they know you are absolutely correct and don’t have an effective counter argument, which is why they resort to aggression.

Ps. Chill out. This is a forum. It is for discussion, which will include debate and disagreement. If you don’t like being somewhere where people have different opinions to you, then perhaps you need to find elsewhere to be.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think Timmy has made any controversial comments. It seems rather obvious that flying somewhere for a couple of hours skiing is not climate friendly. Particularly when as you said yourself "It's just meant to be something fun and different for us. It doesn't require too much in the way of deep analysis". There are lots of ways to have fun without such a big carbon footprint! It's a fair criticism of something completely unnecessary.

Although my criticism is more in the case of I just don't see the point of all that cost and hassle for a few hours skiing. Just pay a bit more and have an enjoyable week rather than constrain yourself unnecessary to some restrictions you've made up in the name of a "challenge".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski3 wrote:
@Timmycb5, well aren't you the most righteous, and sitting in judgement of someone else, for whatever reason you've chosen.

It's a forum about leisure activities, and so could all be argued as unnecessary. Are you a participant?

You have no idea what measures any other forum contributors are making to offset, reduce, cut out, or otherwise mitigate their lifestyle. Or indeed their impact in any environmental sphere.

Fairly familiar stance of offering criticism and then acting as offended when confronted, followed by another twist of labelling your target as somehow being or feeling guilty.

What are you here for? The site interest or plain agitant?

The guy is a bellend. You know the type. Holier-than-thou.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Wow some people really don’t like being told the truth do they?

I’m not “sitting in judgement”. I pointed out the plain fact that flying to Geneva and back in a day, just for the lols, wasn’t very environmentally friendly. At least 3 other posters agreed with me, 2 of which pointed out that saying “the plane is flying anyway” was a lame excuse. @greengriff, CLEARLY didn’t like being told that, and I left the thread. I only commented again when he continued his aggressive replies to others.

In my experience, if you “offer criticism” to someone and their instant reaction is aggression, as @greengriff did, it’s normally a sure fire signal that they know you are absolutely correct and don’t have an effective counter argument, which is why they resort to aggression.

Ps. Chill out. This is a forum. It is for discussion, which will include debate and disagreement. If you don’t like being somewhere where people have different opinions to you, then perhaps you need to find elsewhere to be.

But the plane really, really is flying anyway, so as excuses go, it's pretty good. And if you think that my responses were 'aggression', then you've led a pretty sheltered life! I don't think anyone has an issue with different opinions. The issue is people trying to derail a topic and score 'look at me' points.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@greengriff, hahahahha.

Mate, growing up in Swansea in the 90s, I’ve seen things that would make your teeth itch.

Thanks for pointing out that you still don’t understand how airline commerce works.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely if you’re criticising someone for boarding a couple of flights, the same applies to the weekly holiday-merchants (like most of us) too. Unless @greengriff enjoys it so much he ends up jetting off to the mountains on a daily basis Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Valluga, nah, I guess it’s a cost/benefit thing. Flying for a day just seems excessive. I flew the Geneva myself last year, so I’m not saying nobody should fly. That said, I’m going (assuming we can) twice next year, but I’m getting the train both times.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timmycb5, guess the train was going there anyway, both times?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, guess* the train has 90% lower carbon footprint than flying.

*not a guess, a fact.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
@ski3, guess* the train has 90% lower carbon footprint than flying.

*not a guess, a fact.

Well it's a good job you're "absolutely right" but obviously not aware of the billions of tons in concrete, millions of tons of steel smelting to just leave an infrastructure all over europe, so that you can claim to make an environmentally advantageous journey for liesure. Let alone all the embedded support structure and people doing nothing but run the systems in case you need to make use of it.

So you've really arrived here on this thread to tell us you're going by train, twice!

You are "absolutely right" in occupancy of the moral high ground. Well done.
ski holidays
greengriff wrote:

But the plane really, really is flying anyway

Only because there is consumer demand for it...

For sure : we can't individually stop global warming by reducing travel. However that is not an excuse to stick head in sand and assume government / industry will take correct action for us.

FWIW : someone flying for a week will have similar CO2 emissions. So as individuals we need to make moral decision about cost / benefit... Best solution would be a carbon allowance per individual.
ski holidays
@ski3, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
greengriff wrote:

But the plane really, really is flying anyway

Only because there is consumer demand for it...

For sure : we can't individually stop global warming by reducing travel. However that is not an excuse to stick head in sand and assume government / industry will take correct action for us.

FWIW : someone flying for a week will have similar CO2 emissions. So as individuals we need to make moral decision about cost / benefit... Best solution would be a carbon allowance per individual.

I can certainly see the calculations needed if people are serious about their actions.

But that's exactly what is being avoided by quoting rail travel. Rail infrastructure is absolutely COLOSSAL in terms of build cost for environmental consideration, not only already "spent" in real emmisions but ongoing too.
This if either of the two is the example of "it's there so we might as well use it" but users choose to ignore in their estimation that component. It still happened though, the biased view avoids it and likes to display a very fragile and ultimately false moral stance in chastising other's assessments.

But then, if they are "absolutely right" how can that be considered in debate? Toofy Grin
snow report
@ski3, what are you basing that on re: rail travel? Certainly not any actual research, unless you’re conflating most rail travel with vanity projects like HS2.
latest report
It's disappointing that a thread can degenerate into childish name calling. Be11 ends and pr1cks, anyone?

We all love skiing, so why resort to the under 12's mud slinging? Puzzled

What next? My dad's bigger than your dad? Puzzled
snow conditions
Since this thread's completely lost it's way, maybe the mods can retitle it as 'the environmental impact skiing'?

Skiing is a frivolous activity that's not needed for human subsistence. Therefore doing it by any other means than walking to - and up - the mountains in order to ski down ungroomed trails on skis that you made on site with wood harvested from naturally fallen trees is banned as harmful to the environment.

Flying, driving, riding the train, skiing down runs that have been machine groomed, covered in man made snow, or made safe by being dynamited from helicopters makes you a climate killing murderer, and pointing the finger at other climate killing murderers for doing a little bit more climate killing murder than you did is not going to get you off sorry. You're all for it.
latest report
greengriff wrote:
Since this thread's completely lost it's way, maybe the mods can retitle it as 'the environmental impact skiing'?

Skiing is a frivolous activity that's not needed for human subsistence. Therefore doing it by any other means than walking to - and up - the mountains in order to ski down ungroomed trails on skis that you made on site with wood harvested from naturally fallen trees is banned as harmful to the environment.

Flying, driving, riding the train, skiing down runs that have been machine groomed, covered in man made snow, or made safe by being dynamited from helicopters makes you a climate killing murderer, and pointing the finger at other climate killing murderers for doing a little bit more climate killing murder than you did is not going to get you off sorry. You're all for it.

That’s a little melodramatic, if also a little far fetched.

I know you’re not a fan of facts, but I’ll lay them out for you anyway....

For a person flying from the UK to the Alps for a ski holiday for a week, the flight there and back represents about 75% of the carbon footprint of the entire holiday. Getting the train has about 10% the carbon footprint of flying. So someone going on three separate ski weeks by train, has roughly the same carbon footprint as someone going for a week by air.

If you go for a day, do so in the knowledge that your carbon footprint for that jolly is about 95% because you flew.

Am I saying people shouldn’t fly to ski ever again? No. I probably will myself. Am I saying people shouldn’t indulge in utterly frivolous “challenges”* which have a grotesque carbon footprint? Yes. Or at least they need have a serious word with themselves.

*Challenge in the loosest term of the word as most of the effort is put in by other people.
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:

Correct, skiing is an incredibly un-eco sport.
The question is how we might choose to mitigate the effects in future.

Just because you can't individually stop global warming doesn't give moral carte-blanche to do as you please....
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

I know you’re not a fan of facts,

There you go again with your uncanny mindreading skills. As it happens, I love facts, and am happy to be educated. So if you could provide some citations for the claims you make, I'll cheerily gobble them up.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Just because you can't individually stop global warming doesn't give moral carte-blanche to do as you please....

The most obvious way to mitigate its effects would be not to do it! To say to someone 'well your way of going skiing wiped out 3 villages in Bangladesh, whereas mine only wiped out 2, so therefore I'm a better person than you are' is downright silly. If there's something that a frivolous leisure activity that's shown to be harmful, then surely it should just be stopped? At least until we have totally clean electric transport, totally clean electric lift networks, clean ski manufacturing (no plastics) and so on?
latest report
Just to be clear to late joiners, I'm playing devil's advocate for the point of a stimulating discussion. Since this thread has been irreversably derailed I might as well play along. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em etc....
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

I know you’re not a fan of facts,

There you go again with your uncanny mindreading skills. As it happens, I love facts, and am happy to be educated. So if you could provide some citations for the claims you make, I'll cheerily gobble them up.

Here you go

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=what+is+the+carbon+footprint+of+skiing+uk
snow report
greengriff wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

The most obvious way to mitigate its effects would be not to do it! To say to someone 'well your way of going skiing wiped out 3 villages in Bangladesh, whereas mine only wiped out 2, so therefore I'm a better person than you are' is downright silly. If there's something that a frivolous leisure activity that's shown to be harmful, then surely it should just be stopped? At least until we have totally clean electric transport, totally clean electric lift networks, clean ski manufacturing (no plastics) and so on?

I believe this is the appropriate meme for such posts
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No. Wrong again. That's every single time so far, so you're doing just great. Reductio ad absurdum is a great way to test the soundness of a claim.

Also it's indisputable that skiing is a frivolous activity for 99.9% of participants. There are lots of other ways to enjoy yourself and stay fit and healthy that are harmless to the environment. So, if you are a person truly concerned about the environment then you shouldn't be skiing. If, however, you continue to ski whilst hectoring others, you are a hypocrite, and should be roundly mocked as such.

Also I kindly asked for some citations to back up the claims you made earlier. Perhaps you could provide some. I'm not being facetious for once. I'm genuinely interested.
snow conditions
@greengriff, “wrong again”. You do realise that when someone posts something you don’t like, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, don’t you? Nothing I have posted so far is incorrect.

As you are posting on here, it seems someone has deemed it safe to give you access to the internet. Be a good chap and click on the link I posted above. I’ve even typed in the words so the Google search will be done for you. I’m nice like that. Click on the top result and have a read.
snow report
What you posted was not a citation. If you didn't want to post them, be like those kids from Grange Hill and just say 'no'.

Meanwhile, as with all bad faith actors, you simply dodged the actual points worth discussing. So I reiterate: by professing serious concern for the environment, yet taking part in a decidedly un-eco-friendly sport like skiing, and worse still, berating people who wish to participate in the same sport but in a slightly different way, you are just revealing yourself as a virtue-signalling hypocrite, worthy only of mockery. If that's not the case you should explain why. Otherwise I'll just carry on laughing at you.
snow report
I’ve provided you with the information you requested. If you are too bone idle to click through then I’m afraid that is entirely on you.

And unless I’m mistaken I haven’t mentioned anything about the carbon footprint of skiing (most of it is powered by nuclear, and that is a completely different discussion), but I understand if you’re struggling to keep up.

What I HAVE mentioned and derided you for is your complete unawareness of the carbon cost of short-haul flying, particularly your seeming desire to “spend” what lots would for a weeks holiday in a single day, seemingly, just for the lols. That is literally the only bit I have commented on.

Unless you’re prepared to actually do some basic reading around this topic, especially when I provide you with the links, then I’m afraid I’m done with you.
latest report
It's nothing to do with being bone idle. I asked to see the information that *you* used to form your opinion. Sending me to a search box is not that. You sent me to a search box pre-loaded with the search 'what is the carbon footprint of skiing'. And you claimed that trains have a 90% less carbon footprint that planes. That was actually the bit I was interested in. You also claimed that 'you might as well see how many car tyres you can burn in 24 hours' which is what started this whole thing off. Oh, and yet again you've completely side-stepped answering the point about your own rank hypocrisy. So yeah, you're done with me. You certainly showed me what's what! I'm off to a quiet corner to lick my wounds.
ski holidays
@greengriff, you truly are furiously hard of thinking aren’t you?

The instructions were quite simple. Click on the link I provided, then look at the first result (which is the snowcarbon website). Perhaps those instructions were too difficult for you to follow. Perhaps if I draw some pictures, would that help?

Anyway, click on that link and that will give you EXACTLY what you are looking for.

It’s not hypocritical to point out somethings are hideously carbon heavy, whilst suggesting alternatives which are much less carbon heavy. I haven’t once said people should stop skiing. People absolutely should be aware of the impact of their actions though.

I also think the practice of killing sharks solely for their fins is cruel and unnecessary, but I am not against the eating of meat and fish where the whole animal is used. That doesn’t make me a hypocrite either. But to me, doing a short haul flight for a single day skiing is in the same category as shark finning.

I can’t stop you from doing either, but I am fully entitled to point out how grotesque it is. If you don’t like it, then I’m afraid you can lump it.
latest report
I thought you were done? Laughing What you sent me was not the information I asked for. Perhaps if you'd said 'follow that search and the first result is the one you want' then I'd have done it. But of course I couldn't have known that unless you'd said, at which point it would have been simpler just to send me the link.

It's the very definition of hypocritical to criticise others for doing something, and then doing it yourself!

Your shark analogy is way off. It would be a more accurate - and honest - analogy if you criticised others for killing the sharks for their fins, whilst you also did the same, but sometimes ate the eyeballs too.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@greengriff, “wrong again”. You do realise that when someone posts something you don’t like, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, don’t you? Nothing I have posted so far is incorrect.

As you are posting on here, it seems someone has deemed it safe to give you access to the internet. Be a good chap and click on the link I posted above. I’ve even typed in the words so the Google search will be done for you. I’m nice like that. Click on the top result and have a read.

Dear oh dear. Keep up lad.
ski holidays
Unfortunately there is no facepalm emoji. The page provides no evidence (and in fact says nothing) about the carbon footprint of trains being 90% less than that of planes, which was the claim you made and was the bit that I was interested in.
ski holidays
@greengriff, this BBC link might be useful.

Should you fly, drive or take the train? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49349566

I haven't properly read the rest of this thread, so don't think of this as agreeing with either side's opinion.
snow report
Cheers. Much more helpful.
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Yes, as a sport skiing is clearly bad for environment on many levels.
The obvious question should be how we can mitigate that (while acknowledging skiing which has many other physical, economic and social benefits).

The sum-total of your thinking seems to be "so-what" / "not my problem".
Simply banning everything that is bad for the environment hardly a practical solution for society nor economy.
However that doesn't mean carrying on as normal is acceptable either.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy