Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish The Pet Passport advice line (i.e. DEFRA) gave me the same answer when I spotted the difference, but at €35 a passport - who cares?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading this I'm very relieved that we have a tame vet who only charges us 40 per dog for the ahc.
An old family friend who only does them for old family friends.
Going over 4 times a year with 2 dogs that saves us a small fortune.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, yes, you're lucky, as it is expensive for a vet to register as an OV. We had Odin and Lola for their annual vaccinations on Friday and we were discussing this with the vet ourselves and why they decided not to do it. His opinion of the current government, Brexit etc etc closely matches my own, so the air was pretty blue. I would rather they were treating a sick animal than spending the time filling in forms.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gilo wrote:
@nevis1003, please give it a rest with the “huge rip off” with regards to AHCs. They are a massive PITA and not something vets ever wanted. I’ve personally relinquished my OV status to avoid having to do them, something that took a lot of time and money to get (hence the costs, and NOT worth it).

Well, actually they are a total rip off. £150-£250 for a vet to fill in a piece of paper which they print out/duplicate for each customer. I could fill it in in 10 minutes. I'm glad my dog has a French passport now. Some British vets rip customers off every day, disgraceful
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had an AHC for our two spaniels when visiting France last year. The vet made a mistake with the dates of the rabies vaccination and put the expiry date two years before the date they were given the vaccination. I had to ring the vets when I got to the Eurotunnel and get them to fax the corrected paperwork.
We then investigated getting a pet passport from Spain as we have an address there and my wife had an NEI number for Spain. We’re now getting EU pet passports for each dog that last for life at €34 each for life versus the AHC in the U.K. which cost me £430 for both dogs. On the plus side they also spelt my name incorrectly on the front page and eventually agreed to a total refund. Annoying my dogs are 10 and 9 so they need to live for several more years to get our money’s worth.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@IainMcT, In terms of the "life" of your Spanish passports, check how many echinococcus spaces (one space for each entry into the UK) there are - an Italian passport only has seven.
Saying that, at €34 a passport, it's not a show-stopper.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nevis1003, yeah, except no. How to show you’re hard of thinking as well as hard of reading.
The simple fact is that you couldn’t correctly fill one in from scratch for someone else in ten minutes. You might be able to jot down your own details in that time, but you’re disregarding the prep and verification time required to accurately do it professionally and in accordance with the requirements. And how much time/cost are you allowing for the professional indemnity premiums you’d need? For the admin time sourcing personalised certificate numbers from APHA? For the time spent chasing correctly worded rabies certification? For the time spent rewriting the whole thing because when the owner assured you they were going to Holland they actually meant via Calais? Etc etc etc.
Just try to accept that you don’t know what you are talking about. If you can’t grasp that, let alone the time and expense of getting to a position where you’re legally allowed to try and fill one in, then there’s no hope for a rational discussion rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, so lose the argument and start the abuse.... So once that dog has travelled once, all the info is on there, it's more or less cut and paste every other time...great money for 10 mins work. funny fellow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our last AHC was obtained from Vets4Pets for (approx) £120, they did indicate it would be cheaper next time as the info was on their system, but it still needs hand-signed/initialled and stamped on each page and there is quite a bit of un-necessary stuff that needs to be struck through. it would also be remiss of the vet concerned to not check through all of the details on the form to ensure they are correct (see post above). As a health professional myself, everything should be checked for accuracy as if it is the first time you are doing it. However, I think we would all agree that it is a lot of un-necessary paperwork, when a simple agreement to continue the existing arrangement could have been made.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, "....when a simple agreement to continue the existing arrangement could have been made....."

+1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is an AHC Facebook group with loads of info and cheaper vets than others, We live in Ireland now, so we converted our old UK pet passport to an Irish Pet Passport. A lot of people on the Facebook Group are popping over to Irish vets and getting Irish Pet passports, and seem to have no problems travelling from UK to EU and back again.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3614458798622552
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Abbeywell Vets in Folkestone were very reasonable, and are now recommended by our local vet for anyone wanting a passport that is travelling via Folkestone or Dover. Worth trying a Vets4pets near you too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We collected our AHC from Passpets in Havant on 15th January. It was £99. Very convenient for us. And have an appointment here in France for the worm pill and stamp on the paperwork before we return to UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reasons to not use P&O or Irish Ferries:

Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=1fceecdda07c2e8a6c3066e48e58d2de
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And the relevance of this Sunday Times article to AHCs is?
latest report
@Nemisis, I assume as there has been some previous discussions on this thread around using P&O and the new pet lounge. Perhaps some of us may have ethical considerations for our fellow humans as well as our animals.
latest report
@Hells Bells, precisely. In essence P&O sacked most, if not all, of its British seafarers so it could employ Asians @ £5/hr. I think that’s pretty shoddy & I will carry on using Le Shuttle as a result, especially when taking my dog to France.
snow report
Mrs Swskier is currently on a ferry travelling back to the UK with the dog. Ran in to a slight issue at Calais in that the lady at the French customs said he's not supposed to travel until 19th April with his new Austrian Rabies, but she showed her all the UK vaccinations and AHC we came out on which shows his previous Rabies is in date anyway, and she said it was OK for her but she might run in to issues in Dover, so we'll see what happens.

There was no pet reception at Calais at Irish Ferries just the usual passport checks and they didn't bother scanning his microchip at all. Very different to the eurotunnel which we usually do.
snow report
@swskier, as a UK AHC is sufficiently good to return to the UK, I can't see why you would have any issues at Dover, as long as it is still a valid travel document. When Odin got his French passport last January, he'd had rabies vax in UK in December which was entered on AHC. French vet repeated the vaccine and gave him a French passport which couldn't be used for 3 weeks. We returned only a few days later, and used the AHC with the UK vaccine.
ski holidays
@swskier, @Hells Bells, indeed if a new EU passport has been issued with a new rabies vaccine, then the return to the UK needs to be completed on the AHC. The AHC rather than the new passport should have been stamped by the vet for Echinococcus treatment. If more than 21(?) days have passed, then either document could be stamped and used.
snow report
@swskier, @Hells Bells,
Out of curiosity, how many echinococcus spaces do your French and Austrian passports have? Our Italian has only seven, but at €35 or whatever every seven trips that's not a showstopper.
latest report
@Nemisis, I think you will find the EU documents are standard just different country name on the front, German ones have seven spaces too. There doesnt seem to be any logical reason why the spaces on the following page cant be used but apparently not..
snow conditions
Our French passport has 15 (!) for rabies, 16 for worming but only 9 for the Clinical Exam. We've already filled the Exam ones up and have moved on to the Legalisation page with no problems. Seems nobody thought through the likely usage.
latest report
@Matt1959, there were never enough in our Uk one, haven't got French one handy to check.
snow report
@Nemisis, our French has 16 compared to 28 in the old UK one. I guess there is no reason why you couldn't use the other anti-parasitic treatment pages as they have the same date/time layout but as @munich_irish, says, apparently not. It's not been an issue for us yet as we still have space.

I guess the UK expected the home population was likely to make more trips returning to the UK, whereas the EU as a whole expected their population to make fewer trips.

We haven't used any clinical exam spaces as our vet doesn't seem to bother with it.
latest report
Not entirely sure our vet is totally clued up on all the travel. They told us he can travel back whenever no issue, as the UK rabies jab was fine.

His AHC is out of date now, we travelled back to Austria at the end November on it, so it's past the 4 months validity. So perhaps he wasn't totally ok to travel today. As it happened she's back in the UK no issues now with the dog. We shall see if anything is said Friday next week when we drive back to Austria again.
snow conditions
@swskier, make sure you have out of date AHC and previous pet passports with you just in case. I think if the vaccine in the UK one was in date when you had the jab done in Austria there isn't a need to wait another 21 days, but seems like different places interpret differently every time. The worst that can happen will be a detour to Abbeywell for another AHC using the Uk rabies vaccination details. But as the 21 days will be up, I assume it will be Ok on new passport from 19th.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I think that is what our vet's interpretation was, as his UK rabies is in date.

Let's see what happens at the end of next week! As we're on an 8pm train on Friday evening, I really don't want to be needing to go to Abbeywell again!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, what does the passport say in the “valid from” box? That’s all that matters….. if you vet has put the dates in that day you can travel straight away, then you can!
latest report
@gilo, Not quite, a few people have been caught out with this. The date of the rabies injection cant be before the date of issue of the passport (it can be the same) the rabies injection is then valid three weeks later. Some vets filled in the document so that the date of issue was the same as when the rabies injection became valid leading to the document being rejected, no idea why but it has caused grief.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, so glad I don’t do these documents any more! Razz The date of rabies vacc absolutely CAN be before the date of issue (whether some drone at eurotunnel accepts that may be another issue). Consider a dog that had rabies vacc 6m ago and you lose the passport, vet can issue you with another. Vacc date will be 6m before issue date…..
similarly, the rabies vacc doesn’t “become valid” 3w later. There is a date of validity filled in by the vet. As above that could be the same day the passport is issued if replacing an old one, or if the vacc is a booster within the validity period of previous vaccinations.
Brexit seems to have mysteriously gifted ferry employees new powers to adjudicate on areas they have no right to decide on. I’m not denying many people have had issues, and should be prepared for that. But people should also push back, demand a written explanation and challenge this lunacy……
ski holidays
In reflection, we may be talking at cross purposes….
Some people have (correctly) been turned away when the “valid from” has predated the issue date. This is most often when transcribing a vacc from an AHC and the vet incorrectly uses a valid from date of 3w after the rabies vacc. Technically it’s not the vaccine that is “valid”, it’s the document, so it can’t have been valid before it was created…..
snow report
Since we had our Dog's rabies vaccination done by the French vet (it was due) our French passport is speedily checked and on our way. Before, with the UK Vacs and date before the passport we had to take her old AHC as a back up both Folkestone and Calais asked extra questions and weren't really happy with it but let us go reluctantly. Quite who put Eurotunnel in charge is another question!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy