Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Abbeywell just directed me to their FAQ's, which essentially says we're going to need an AHC. So we'll book that in, maybe we'll do it via them this time, as they're about half the price of our own vet.

Then a new rabies jab when we're back in Austria again, but will probably wait until nearer the time we need to travel back, to extend it's useful life.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone recommend the nearest vet to Val D'Isere and is it advisable to book a Tapeworm injection / medication tablet and any idea of a cost?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't comment on VdI but there is a veterinary clinic alongside the Leclerc complex in Aime. We used them several times for worming.
Yes, I would book beforehand, if only to not have to hang around. I always spoke French with them, but their website says that English is spoken (no surprise since far more French people speak English than Bristish people speak French!!)
Cost? In Italy I pay Euros 30 and I expect Aime will be similar.
https://www.axivet.fr.
Satnav 45.551, 6.642
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We regularly use the same one as @Nemisis, when we are in Val d'Isere. They also let us take and use our own wormer (approved for use) as some brands make our dog vomit.

We have also used the vet in Bourg St Maurice on the main road opposite the Lidl which is a bit nearer to Val.

Clinique Veterinarie de Haute Tarentaise

There is another vet in both Bourg and Aime but not used either of them.

Usually costs around €50 and definitely need to book. Most speak enough English to understand that you need the treatment to return to the UK. There is usually a steady flow of Brits getting their pets treated and paperwork stamped.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Be aware that when it says the dog must be wormed 1-5 days before travel, the 1 day is the full 24 hours. We got caught out in the Summer trying to travel 23.5 hours after Henry had been wormed. After hanging around the Coquelle pet check in for30 minutes we went through security only to be asked if we wanted to get on the earlier train, so we ended up on the one we had booked! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gordyjh, Laughing Laughing , wording of regulations is 24-120hours though, not 1-5 days wink .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My dog was given a French passport by a friendly vet, I don't live in France or have any form of residency. A lot of the French vets are sympathetic to the huge rip off British vets are doing with the AHC.
I did have to give a French address, it was the holiday house I was staying in, I also had to have the dog re vaccinated for rabies in France. I also buy all my tick tablets, worm treatment in France, so that probably helped, the vet knows us and remembers my awful French.
I had asked a few vets before, who refused, but this one actually offered, and it wasn't the first time she had done it for regular visitors/patients. Just turning up and asking for one is going to be a "no"
So, now my only cost is the tapeworm treatment going home.
The first time I used it I passed it to the gendarmes at Dover who laughed and said we are not interested in that. Ferry company gave it a quick glance for the microchip number.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nevis1003, all it's going to take is an officious person who could / might do some additional checks, like is your dog registered on the French database equivalent to DEFRA (forget the name) and you might find yourself in Pooh Pooh.

I certainly wouldn't be blagging about it as that could tempt fate/karma, plus I wouldn't travel EuroTunnel as they are way more officious than the Ferries from my various (quite a bit) experiences of using both with three dogs!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@vegas007, we have always used the clinic opposite and uphill from Lidl - Dr Julie GUIRAND +33 4 79 07 04 93 and they have been great pre-AHC and now with eu-pet-passports. They’ve got off street parking. Reception and the vets have good English. It is essential to make an appointment.

We used to use Robert Todesco (+33 4 79 07 17 77) opposite and a bit further into town. Much smaller practice and he seems to have gone part-time so is open less frequently now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@nevis1003, all it's going to take is an officious person who could / might do some additional checks, like is your dog registered on the French database equivalent to DEFRA (forget the name) and you might find yourself in Pooh Pooh.

I certainly wouldn't be blagging about it as that could tempt fate/karma, plus I wouldn't travel EuroTunnel as they are way more officious than the Ferries from my various (quite a bit) experiences of using both with three dogs!

Plus 1 with the Eurotunnel experience - once a 'supervisor' wanted to show proof of a French address! Way over their remit I think!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have had zero issues with a German animal passport, no one has ever asked any questions (besides the initial mess up noted above). Long time since I used the ferry (dont like the concept of the dog being in the car for a couple of hours) but agree there was less faff, they simply scanned the dog at the check in booth (is that the same now?). Not sure what they would want to check, there is no German national animal register which seems to be a French peculiarity. Only whinge is that the German passports have far fewer spots for worming treatments than the old UK ones so the passport will need changing more often (I did ask if we could use a different page and was firmly told "Non")
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With 4-5 trips a year we have already filled up the 'fit to travel' spaces so our vet wrote in the next section, which Eurotunnel accepted with no issue. We will need a new passport in another year or so as the worming slots will be full.

Conversely we have enough rabies slots for a dog/cat/ferret that lives to 30+.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

Weathercam you do have an outstanding ability to talk absolute pish. You can't have a french passport unless your dog and address is on the database, it doesn't matter what address it is and my vet was quite happy to put the holiday house on it, as was the owner of the holiday house. Nobody is in the slightest bit interested in the French dog passport, they just search the car and give him a biscuit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevis1003, apart from the pet passport office I assume?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nevis1003, like I say just hope you don't come across an officious jobsworth, who might have sussed you're not all above board with your gung-ho attitude, maybe they'd call a douane over to chat to you about your residency status / impots account in relation to the mutt etc, hate to think that you'd end up in the pooh Laughing

I've witnessed many a traumatic scene at Calais Eurotunnel when paperwork has not been correct, can't actually believe you're suggesting no-one takes any interest in the dogs passport, have you actually travelled with a dog yet ? Laughing

We all bend the rules a little, but travelling with dogs is fraught with anxiety even when you think you have all bases covered, which I'm sure many of the experienced travellers on here will agree with.

And FWIW the P&O dog lounge was brilliant, they even have their own outside deck area, plus it was really quiet compared to the rest of the ship, and way cheaper than the cost of three dogs on Eurotunnel.

That said we do Eurotunnel outbound (this Sunday) and then ferry back whenever that might be...
latest report
@Weathercam, personally never had any grief except with the invalid German passport (which the Eurotunnel staff were very helpful with) however have also witnessed a number of very stressed and frazzled folk who had been told the paperwork wasnt valid for whatever reason and were not being allowed to board. Agree you have to make sure your paperwork is completely in order not worth taking any risks with this. I wouldnt want to be stuck in Calais with kids and a valued family pet not being allowed to travel back to the UK!!

You imply the dogs can travel outside of a car on the ferries now? This was not the case last time I used a ferry (which was probably 10 years ago now)
latest report
@munich_irish, P&O have a pet lounge.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
.....You imply the dogs can travel outside of a car on the ferries now? This was not the case last time I used a ferry (which was probably 10 years ago now)....

I keep meaning to add my review of the P&O pet lounge to my existing Eurotunel vs Ferry Feature but slipped my mind, or did I already post some pics on here Puzzled

Outside pet deck

Pet lounge

https://www.poferries.com/en/routes/dover-to-calais/onboard/pet-lounge
latest report
@Weathercam, that looks ideal, never liked the small hound having to stay in a car on their own for two hours. Not sure it trumps the speed of the tunnel but it might be an option.
ski holidays
Looks good
snow conditions
How does having hot food work though? Assume you can't take dogs in to the restaurants (or do they not have them now), as to compensate for the longer journey time, we always used to eat on the ferry.
latest report
@Hells Bells, mmmmm that was not a great experience I seem to recall, as it was a cafeteria, with all pre-packaged hot food, though maybe I didn't search out the restaurant, though it did tick all the boxes for what we wanted, in that bringing food back to our lounge etc
The lounge had it's own hot drinks machine etc

I suppose I'd better look at the traveling options for this Sunday, as we're staying en-route, Arc en Barrios 500km from Calais so we could maybe do the ferry going out, will save a few pennies with three dogs, but I'll check on the timings as don't want sparrow's start.

Where we're staying are having their big festival (hunting weekend) so we'll arrive just as it's all finishing.

Tis very dog friendly!
snow report
@Weathercam, I'll not be popular if the driver is hungry, so it will have to be lunch in Calais and the Eurotunnel I think. Outbound we usually stop for a breakfast and have a lunchtime picnic en route.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I'll let you know, as I'm leaning towards the ferry, but like I say just working out timings etc

Further Edit - looks like it's to be the tunnel, just not enough flexibility of times on a Sunday - how much is an hour+ in bed worth vs club class etc Laughing

Irish Ferries Club Class 3 x pet in vehicle £162 09:30 --> Noon = leave 06:30

Eurotunnel £228 (£66 for dogs) 10:25 --> 11:55 = leave 07:30 onwards

P&O 3 dogs 2 humans pet lounge £162 08:25 --> 11:00 = leave 05:30
snow conditions
@nevis1003, please give it a rest with the “huge rip off” with regards to AHCs. They are a massive PITA and not something vets ever wanted. I’ve personally relinquished my OV status to avoid having to do them, something that took a lot of time and money to get (hence the costs, and NOT worth it).
snow conditions
@gilo, our usual vet still has OVs (but not as many as they used to). However, they just don't do AHC for travel at any price.
When I had one done locally it was at Vets for Pets, and was £120 (not including rabies jab). I'd provided all the information needed for the vet in advance, but it was a time-consuming process to complete the form, and I still had to go back and collect it later after it had been completed. All those pages to stamp and cross through. That vets time would have been far better spent looking after a sick animal. They are a PITA for all of us.
snow report
We travel often enough that our vet has the whole form pre filled in on their system.
Print, sign (and sign, and sign again!).
Now it's all set up it only takes a fe minutes they told me.
ski holidays
Woooooaaaaa!

Just checked in with Irish ferries and 3 dogs at Dover and the scanner read the Jacks chip but not Ullr's, no matter how we tried, in the end the guy said, don't worry I believe you!!!!

If that had been Eurotunnel they probably wouldn't have let us travel, though maybe the Irish ferries scanner was a bit dud, as it looked old, but there again it picked up the Jack's chips???

We will be getting it checked once back home in Serre !

So dogs are sleeping in the van while we're in Club, they certainly didn't like getting up early Laughing

Further Edit:
Bit of Googling suggests definitely the scanner not liking Ullr's French microchip. Not been an issue with P&O nor Eurotunnel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, oh no, potential nightmare. Thankfully averted Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I have always had a small concern that this might happen but its been fine for the past 12 years. I wonder if something will degrade the chip over time.
snow conditions
We're on our way to folkestone, and picking up our AHC from Abbeywell vets for the first time.

Fingers crossed no issues. Much more looking forward to using LeShuttle rather than the ferry I came home on last week!
latest report
@munich_irish, (touching wood), our 14 year old's chip is still working fine.

@swskier, hoping all goes well for you.
snow conditions
Bourg vet I mentioned above moved in September. They’re now in nice new quarters in the industrial estate by the Décheterie - Clinique vétérinaire Saint-bernard - 48 Rue de l’edelweis
ski holidays
Our dog has a Spanish Passport as others have posted. We do not have any residency there and the vet checked it was all above board with the national body. Never been an issue when crossing the Channel. And the dog gets here annual jabs when we go out in the summer.

I would also echo that the UK vets are not "ripping off" clients with this element. The paperwork is absolutely ridiculous and takes ages to complete and if they miss one of the stamps / get anything wrong they know there will be a claim.

Just a poor approach by the UK to accept a one sided travel arrangement for animals at the time of BREXIT. If the EU had the same problems I am sure it would be resolved, but as there is no inconvenience to the EU there is no motivation to improve it for the UK.
snow report
We got an AHC from our vet in Sussex, everything was fine, it's a pretty extensive bit of paperwork.

Got to The Shuttle and everything was checked there, I had to scan our dog's microchip and then everything was passed as good to go.

On The Shuttle's website it stated (a few months ago) that a second check of paperwork would need to be carried out once in France, this is not so as the lady was completely mystified as to what I was doing in her office as I'd just arrived from Folkestone, that was a waste of time!

No checks at the Swiss or Italian borders, we were waved through on both occasions but it seems random as we saw some cars had been pulled over at Basel
ski holidays
@Dolomike, if you get the Italian pet passport, you'll need a new Rabies jab before you can use it to take the dog to and from the UK again, if you're planning on doing that at any time.

As we found out (see further up the thread)....
ski holidays
@Dolomike, there was some info on the AHC facebook page that customs checks are required on the passport if your final destination is not your country of entry.
snow report
@swskier, @Dolomike, We have had Italian pet passports for two dogs, one immediately pre-Brexit and the other this year.
The pre-Brexit one was in addition to a UK passport - i.e. the rabies booster (probably in Italy) pre-dated the Italian passport, the 2nd dog's was based on a vaccination in in the UK in 2022 and the corresponding AHC issued just before travel.
We have had no pet passport difficulties at all (before or after Brexit) which could be down to the fact that we ferry to and fro, not Eurotunnel.
There are two snags with the Italian pet passport: firstly THOU SHALL BE RESIDENT, secondly, it only has 8 spaces for worming, but getting a new passport is cheap - €35 or so.
snow report
@swskier & @Hells Bells thanks for the info
snow conditions
@Nemisis, The 8 spaces for worming is the same on the German one (I suspect it is the same in all of them). Its a bit of a pain as the old UK ones had two pages. There is plenty of space on other pages that could be used, I asked at Calais last time if one of those could be used and was told no.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy