Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off topic perhaps, but....

Poster: A snowHead
Needing another mountain fix this year, I thought I might look into going to a ski resort to mountain bike this summer. Has anyone any experience of this? I've never been to a resort out of winter season before so I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here might be able to answer.

Firstly, has anyone done this, and if so any resort suggestions?
Secondly, does anyone know if there is much in the way of bike rental at the resorts, or would I be better off bringing my own?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know someone who went to Panorama in Canada. Said it was amazing...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark2010 wrote:

Firstly, has anyone done this, and if so any resort suggestions?
Secondly, does anyone know if there is much in the way of bike rental at the resorts, or would I be better off bringing my own?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

les Deux Alpes springs to mind. I think there is pretty good bike rental too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick responses.

There's quite a bit of info on les deux alpes web site for biking, plenty of food for thought,

many thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark2010, here in the Serre Che there are lots of bike shops, rental starts around 15e per day. Between mid June and September 4 lifts are open all day for bikes to use, so you will be able to downhill on the many cycle tracks available. Your own bike will have to be of a very high standard to cope with the trails, drop-offs, jumps etc and have very good brakes. It could be very dangerous on a cheap bike. I think you'll find Morzine and Chamonix have excellant mtb trails too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark2010, why not go to Lago di Garda? Considered by those in the know to be the absolute eldorado of mountain biking, and a great place to hang out at that. Hiring bikes no problem. Tons of trails along mountain tracks built during the first world war by Austrians and Italians intent on dragging their cannons to the top of mountains in order to kill each other. Absolutely spectacular trails along the side of cliffs, through tunnels and generally in places no normal person would try to bike...
I love it. Gotta try it Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or Les Arcs has over 700km of MB trails, and the lifts open so you can choose how much up hill you want to do. A number of circular routes of varying length and difficulty - I seem to recall some graphical animations last year on the website showing "liddle bikeys" going up lifts and down dalesto illustrate the route.

Also a number of challenges and competitions for MBs is the region.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saas Fee. Skiing on the glacier in the morning & the biking in the afternoon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samoens has bike rental shops and plenty of biking in the area (valley and mountain). 2 Morillon lifts open for bikes, Les Gets is close too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers guys,

am spoiled for choice with that lot. Lake Garda sounds particularly tempting but the ability to glacier ski in the morning and biking in the afternoon might be the clincher. Thanks again for all the tips.

chris, Thanks for the bike info. My own bike(s) are pretty good, my only concern in this regard was being able to hire something of an equivalent standard. If there is good rental available I will take that option as I love to get to play with new toys!

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions:)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
May I sugget Zermatt?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chris, You know a ber called MOJO? Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark2010, we've mountain-bikes during the Summer in Serre Chevalier, and I can confirm that there are plenty of places renting out bikes, but if you take your own, there's always someone around to fix it too. We have also skied the glacier at LDA, and that was good too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark2010, Les Gets/Morzine is one of the biggest Mountin Biking hubs in the Alps. It's especially good for downhilling and has several world cup courses. The XC is also excellent and many of the Portes du Soleil chairlifts/bubbles remain open in the summer and have bike attachments giving access to a huge area, including Chatel and Avoriaz. Routes are graded as they are for skiing.

Another good option is Alpe d'huez- the area is not quite as large, nor considered to be as good as Les Gets/Morzine, but the main reason for going would be to participate in (if you're brave), or watch the Megavelanche: basically a 20km mass-start race from the top of Pic Blanc, which begins on the glacier before winding it's way down to the town. It's a massive event with 1200 entrants and is tied into a whole series of biking races and events in resort- it's from the 28th to the 30th July this year. For info go here: http://www.avalanchecup.com

I'd highly recommend either of these resorts because they're fully geared up towards mountain biking- lots of purpose built single track, 4x courses, downhill courses, jump parks etc. and there are plenty of places to hire bikes, lessons and guides. But it really depends what kind of thing you're looking for.... you can find fireroads and some mountain biking in most resorts in summer, and ones not directly tying themselves to the mountain biking industry might be quieter, with less people doing 'bike seasons'. The downhill courses in Morzine can get pretty busy, but the area available for XC is so large that even when it's rammed in town, it's never felt busy out on the routes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On general subject of mountain fixes and in line with stevo, summer activities we experienced last year in just one week in Samoens included tennis, swimming, canyoning, rafting, adventure trail, caving, via ferrata, hike with overnight stay in refuge and marmot spotting, climbing and mountain biking - the week being topped off with paragliding, following thermals up into the clouds. In short a different activity morning and afternoon for six days. All courtesy of the local guides office, equipment included or hired in resort. Not expensive. No other Brits to be seen - active Brits that is, because Samoens has become petit Fulham.

and to think we could have been on a beach ...
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I know the place. It was opened late last year by an English couple who I think came down from Chamonix. Friends of yours?
ski holidays
Mark2010, You've already looked at the LDA website by the sound of it. We're very well geared up for mountain biking now, with loads of pistes marked like ski runs - green, blue, red and black. A dedicated bike park in the town and many lifts open for upward transport. However the mountain biking is almost (but not quite all) downhill stuff. The skiing's excellent too BTW!! snowHead snowHead
latest report
Seem to recall that decent mountain bikes run about euro 35-50 a day to rent. Its not that bad given that a day's downhilling chews disk pads and they'll get crashed on a regular basis. Most importantly if you're going lift assisted with lots of downhilling rent or buy body armour.
ski holidays
I will be in Les Arcs at thestart of July and hope to spend a few days biking (and a few kayaking) anyone going to be around with similar interests
ski holidays
Chris Craggs,

Oh no! Chris, has Samoens REALLY become a petit Fulham?? Say it's not true!

Freestyle Puzzled
snow conditions
I think that every ski resort I've visited in the summer provides some way of getting your bike up the mountain, although taking them on chairlifts always looks a bit awkward to me.

Freestyle, I'm afraid that in September 2007, Samoens will officially change it's name to Petit Pleinjambon. Still, at least you'll be able to get a half decent pint Au Cheval Blanc.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
although taking them on chairlifts always looks a bit awkward to me.

They have one hook on either side- so two people to a chair. The lifties generally put then on and take them of for you- it's no problem at all.
snow report
Bexen, I've seen the arrangement you describe, but I think I've also seen them being carried on the actual chair. Anyway, it's got to beat pedalling up.
snow report
richmond wrote:
I've also seen them being carried on the actual chair

Shocked That would be a bit terrifying!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy