Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks - Phil Smith - All Terrain Course March 2006

Poster: A snowHead
cathy wrote:
And no point doing it the end of the season.

I'm not so sure about that. I think a good lesson is a good lesson, no matter when in the season it takes place. Unless you forget everything over the summer and have to start again in December Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk, very true - badly phrased on my part. I should have said - to get maximum benefit for next season's skiing, best to do it at the start of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, very true - badly phrased on my part. I should have said - to get maximum benefit for next season's skiing, best to do it at the start of the season Very Happy

I agree with that, although I tend to think of my need for ski instruction as a long road towards mediocrity Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, I can't help but think of our 'steady, but not uneventful' progress off piste through forests and under lifts last season, when you write things like that Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just booked the All Terrain course in Tignes for 2nd Dec snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, that's great! I'll have company! Laughing Laughing At least you know who your roomie will be..... Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, Laughing I am sure yours will be fine, if you get one, you may just have a room to yourself Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Too true! At least I checked it would be with another girly Shocked

I really should start getting into a fitness regime. I haven't done anything since I last went skiing beg of March - & I'm determined not to let lack of fitness hinder me! Now, there's a nice little gym near me at work, that's only £35/month - or do I join an equally nice little gym (part of a City Technology College) near me at home? Which am I most likely to keep up?? I did the one near me at work last year - I think I'll try the one near home this time Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, cathy, I'm definitely thinking about that week too. Are you both doing the package? I think it's expensive as usually, if you wait until the last minute, they're almost giving away accommodation in early December. Can you give me some info on the rooms situation? Do they pair up people? Are there single rooms? Do they cost twice as much? (Can you tell I'm from Yorkshire? Laughing )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, yes I'm doing the package. Seeing as I'll be by myself I thought it would be good to stay in the chalet hotel where others will be. They pair same-sex people up in rooms, there are no single rooms and if you want single occupancy it will be either £200 or £250 extra! Shocked I thought it's not worth that. Would be good if you were to go that week too - and don't forget if you do the package that week its for 8 nights, arrive on Saturday, leave on Sunday! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toofy Grin Should be no trouble finding Emma and Phil, if you spot someone with a camera and a huuuuuge lens taking snapshots, guess who Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, I really do NOT want to hear theat the price maybe reduced later on. Sad Like cathy I have booked the package for myself and SO, but part of the the holiday experience for me is being with the rest of the group and hopefully having some fun in the evenings Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, Not sure about the fun in the evenings rolling eyes . I stayed at a chalet hotel where snoworks was running a course, (cheap late deal Cool - I'd never heard of them before). They were lovely people to talk to at dinner but they mostly spent their evenings watching videos, doing exercises and scraping and ironing their skis Shocked .

So you persuaded your SO. Mine would rather stick pins in his eyes. (He doesn't do lessons. He says the more I have, the worse I get Laughing )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, You're not doing much to make me feel any better rolling eyes

He was persuaded by me . . . which means if he doesn't like it or finds it difficult I shall be in for a hard time. Cathy checked out the Chalet and I had a quick look, and it looked OK. We stayed in a 2* with Thomsons this year and that was OK. As for scraping ski's I have never done that in my life, as I always hire and don't touch them.

The only exercise I am planning on doing after a day's instruction is a good stretch, followed by some well earnt free chalet wine Toofy Grin

So are you still interested?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi wrote:
So you persuaded your SO. Mine would rather stick pins in his eyes. (He doesn't do lessons. He says the more I have, the worse I get Laughing )

Ha ha! Same here! Very Happy Quite looking forward to it, its been so long since I did anything like this by myself Very Happy And if you're looking for a room-mate who's fairly harmless I know where you could find one Little Angel

I'm sure the price for the hotel may well be cheaper later on - could be worth hanging out for that. Just didn't want to find myself ending up have to pay for a single supplement somewhere - at least I know this is all done and dusted.

I'm not really viewing this as a holiday but as a serious effort to start to improve my skiing - any fun will be a sheer bonus! Laughing
snow report
cathy, I think I will be purchasing the DVD to gain some more insight as to what is required fitness wise and suitable exercises. I am beginning to realise that this is not just a jolly jaunt round the mountains Laughing . I have just been reading this thread about Phil's bro's course in Saas Fee, and I wouldn't mind trying that too. What worries me is the criteria for Warren's Level 4, it's not the same as Phil's Shocked

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16105
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:
I am beginning to realise that this is not just a jolly jaunt round the mountains Laughing .

Indeed! I don't think it is - not too much of the 'follow-me' style of tuition wink I looked at Warren Smith's courses as well but thought Snoworks was probably more suited to me at the mo.

Just arranged to have my induction session at my local gym tomorrow - only £22/month and no minimum contract period. Bargain. Just got to make myself go along now!
latest report
cathy, The gym sounds very good value. I shall have to DIY on the keep fit I'm afraid; running, crappy keep fit bike, baked beans tins etc, to try and pay for all these holidays Laughing

It would be good if maggie signed up too Very Happy
snow conditions
slikedges, excellent report, I have been looking for tuition like this for ages. And this looks interesting - its in english, a reputable instructor Phil Smith, and there is a big variety of courses.

I spoke with Phil Smith earlier on today and tried to guage my requirements - basically a need to get over the " intermedate zone " and ski off-piste. It is so easy to fall into a comfort zone which is what has happened to my skiing since I started in 1995. I have asked for a brochure - currently not yet printed for 2006/07 - and I am seriously thinking of booking, but only 31 January 2007 ( my busy period ends then ). But as its off-piste, I really need to take fitness a lot more seriously, as in the few occasions that I ventured off-piste, I found myself streached. Most of the resorts are French and there is also Gressoney in the Italian Valle D'Aoste. Looks interesting.
snow conditions
hibernia, if you haven't already looked, have a look on their website - they don't have anything in their brochure which isn't on their website. If you look under Planner you'll see their schedule for next season.
snow report
snowbabes (well I hope that's better than the normal form of address you get from Masque Wink )
Quote:
I am beginning to realise that this is not just a jolly jaunt round the mountains.....not too much of the 'follow-me' style of tuition
is quite right. I went on Phil's Backcountry course this March and it was probably the best, most fun but also most intense tuition I've had. Phil himself is incredibly enthusiastic and a wonderful motivator, and Emma's in the same mould - so they'll soon get you doing things you never dreamt you could do. I think your course is only half day sessions though, so you can relax a bit during the other half day (provided you do your homework Wink ).

As for the evening stuff, I expect you'll get a presentation of "the gospel according to Phil" on the first night. Another night we had an avalanche awareness presentation (although I doubt you'll have that), and on the others we had playback and analysis of videos taken of us during the day Shocked . This usually happened just before dinner, and after plenty of time for a dip/sauna, so not too pressured - and plenty of time for the odd lotion during and after the meal. You'll have a ball!

hibernia, I went on the Gressoney one this year. It can be pretty challenging depending on the snow conditions - we were skiing crud and breakable crust nearly all week, and I think that's fairly typical. We all (with the possible exception of one guy who was essentially BASI-2 level and was disgustingly good already) came out of it having learned a lot. I'm 90% certain I'll do it again next year. I don't want to put you off, but if you're only just getting into off-piste, the all-terrain course may be a better choice - although I'm sure you'd have got good advice from Phil directly.
snow conditions
GrahamN, Thanks for that, sounds good to me . . . and THANKS! Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

I have just been reading this thread about Phil's bro's course in Saas Fee, and I wouldn't mind trying that too. What worries me is the criteria for Warren's Level 4, it's not the same as Phil's

Are Phil and Warren related?
snow report
BOD wrote:
Quote:

I have just been reading this thread about Phil's bro's course in Saas Fee, and I wouldn't mind trying that too. What worries me is the criteria for Warren's Level 4, it's not the same as Phil's

Are Phil and Warren related?

No. Smith is quite a popular surname Wink
ski holidays
cathy, thanks for that link - there are indeed lots of courses available and it looks that there are sufficient numbers to break the groups down. I think that I am a 4-5 on that grading.

GrahamN, thanks for that advice - yes I agree, Gresonney is probably to be savoured at another time. It looks like the " All terrain " is the most appropriate course for me as an early off-pister. I am also looking at the SCGB's annual introduction to powder in Flaine but have not got the dates for that yet. It looks like Meribel or Courchevel with Phil Smith on 27th January or 4th February, either date is ideal for me. Plenty of time to decide. Cool
ski holidays
hibernia, I've done the All Terrain course in Courchevel a few times. Loads of fun, quite demanding, great atmosphere in class and in the hotel. Thoroughly recommended!
snow conditions
hibernia, Shame you can't get out earlier. Confused Cathy and I will give you a full account of our week plus 1 day extra Very Happy
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, cathy, not just a jolly jaunt though jolly it is, so getting fit is a top idea, I didn't and paid the price though a half-day course shouldn't be as much of a problem fitness wise

hibernia, go for it, you won't regret it!

For my part will almost certainly do one of the courses at some point over the season but not sure when yet. Wanted to do race or off piste but March is the best (though not only poss) time for me and need to go somewhere with top kids' tuition too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, wish I could spend more time skiing, bloody clients' tax returns filing date the end of january every year ( but it may change in 2008 to 30/11/08, then I'll have to work 24/7 in the summer months and spend the winter skiing Laughing Laughing .

rob@rar.org.uk, The more I think of it, and a personal recommendation is always the best way forward ( thank you ) I think the plan is for Courchevel. Its a Mark Warner hotel too so that can't be too bad. In my only three trips skiing to France I did enjoy the skiing in the Trois Vallee ( stayed in Meribel in 1997 ). Great skiing and lifts system.

But I really wanted to go to to Italy ( Dolomites ) next year Crying or Very sad . Perhaps later on in March Puzzled

IncogSkiSno, I want a full report from Cathy and yourself Laughing . Very crafty of you ...... I see from the site that you get 8 days skiing Laughing. Did you actually get to speak to Phil?. He is very helpful and informative in giving advice.
ski holidays
hibernia, Yes I spoke to Phil too, he was most helpful. 8 days skiing just means I shall have to be even fitter. Laughing

I fancy doing an Italian resort later on in the season too and another Austrian trip if pos. Confused
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:
cathy, I think I will be purchasing the DVD to gain some more insight as to what is required fitness wise and suitable exercises.

If you do get that, let us know what its like & whether its worthwhile getting - I may have to splash out on one too! Very Happy And careful what you do with those baked bean tins! If you're looking for a cheaper gym, its always worthwhile checking out some alternative types other than the standard chains. The gym near me at work is actually located with the Euston Hilton Hotel - but is a really nice small gym with towels included etc. & is cheap for central London at £35. And as I said, the one near me at home where I've joined is part of a local City Tech College - modern equipment & not many using it but you can't use it during the day.

Shame Slikedges & Hibernia can't join this week, would have been fun!

PG wrote:
if you spot someone with a camera and a huuuuuge lens taking snapshots, guess who

oooops - if you see someone with their bum stuck in the air or in a heap in the snow, guess who! Embarassed

I don't know about all these 'full reports' expected - isn't it, what goes on on the trip, stays on the trip Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
if you see someone with their bum stuck in the air or in a heap in the snow, guess who!

Well, if I do go, they may need another guess Laughing

Still thinking about it. Definitely want to go to PSB again and have agreed to take friend who is mega excited and would not forgive me if we didn't go. Really wanted to do EOSB too this year but can't do it all as am already booked for two more ski hols with OH and friends. OH will not be happy if I do 3 snowHeads holidays (as he calls them Shocked ) as he thinks that means we won't get a summer holiday together. Oh, decisions, decisions rolling eyes
snow conditions
maggi, wow! That is a lot of holidays planned!! snowHead I think one more is just what is needed Laughing And think how much more you'll enjoy your next hols with all your new techniques & skill wink

I too was really thinking about the PSB but just don't think I'll have enough leave (nor cash!). And I'll never be able to go on the EOSB whilst in my current job - just not possible that time of year.
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me why these courses only seem to be on awkward dates ?

Warren Smith has courses in Summer time. You have to knock it on the head after lunch.

Warren Smith even does indoor slope days in the UK in Summer. Blow that for a game of soldiers !

What do these people do during the season proper ?
ski holidays
Latchigo, Snoworks run courses from November to April, plus a few weeks in May, July and a Southern Hemisphere trip in August. They seem to take a break over Christmas/New Year and sometimes during the busy period in February. Plenty to choose from...
ski holidays
hibernia, the SCGB Flaine courses are also great, although probably start and stop at a slightly lower level than the Snoworks courses. I went on nominally one of their Silver grade courses in 2003, which ended up being essentially a Purplish level week as that's sort of where we all were (final grades IIRC ranged from S/P up to P+). Yann is just as much fun as Phil, and of course also a fantastic skier, although much more laid back personally, and the course is probably less intense. If the courses I went on are typical examples, the SCGB one is much smaller (we were only 6, but it's normally up to 16, vs about 40 for the Snoworks course), but has probably a narrower (i.e. more targetted) ability range. This works well due to the SCGB grading scheme - fewer people self-appraising - but it does mean there's less opportunity for switching between groups if you/they have got the initial grading wrong.
snow conditions
GrahamN, again thanks for that Graham. I like to have the option to go up or down in groups as being essentaily new to off-piste proper its difficult to guage the general standard, fitness etc required. Certainly if the majority in a SCGB smaller group turn out to be purpulish standard I do not want to get into a sitiuation where I " may " struggle. With Phil, there are more groups, I get the impression that it is easier to go up or down. Anyways he rang me back today and I am now more or less commited to going with Snoworks. End of January 2007 fits in with my available dates - so its either Meribel or Courchevel with the former the most likely. Your're right regarding Gressoney, is for another day, he more or less said that to me. Have requested some of last year's brochures and will probably book it early next week.

Well anyways, now for a fitness program Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I am hoping to do the all day all-terrain course in March 2007. However I am concerned that my skiing is not strong enough. I have been for 1 week in Obergurgl last year following on from a lot of lessons on a dry slope. I went to ski school each day and on the last afternoon had a private lesson which included a couple of black runs and the rest were reds. Snoworks web page says that for their level 4 you have to be able to ski reds at a good pace. I'm planning on having some more dry slope lessons and go to Braehead a bit before next March, maybe also some skiing in Scotland if there is any snow. Does this sound feasible or am I deluding myself. Thanks.
snow report
ianmacd, I was unsure about my ability too. I would suggest that you do as I did, ring Phil and have a chat with him, he'll be only to happy to help you. If you ring the booking number they should give you Phil's mobile number.

Good luck! snowHead
snow report
ianmacd, ringing Phil Smith would be a good idea (although is is skiing in Chile until the end of the month). At a guess I'd say that one week's experience plus lots of time on artificial slopes might be a bit of a problem if you end up on a Snoworks course with relatively few clients and instructors. In this case there might be a majority of reasonably good skiers and no easy way of providing instruction for someone with limited experience. On the other hand I've been on All Terrain courses with Phil where there have been a large number of clients with a wide spread of abilities, but this didn't cause any problems as there were enough instructors booked that week to cater for everyone. As suggested, give Phil a call to discuss it before booking.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy