Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Againer Exoskeleton

Poster: A snowHead
@Dutchcourage, If you're a nice guy you will of course have agreed terms with @admin to promote your product on here yes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silence is golden.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(mods - feel free to move to a new thread if you think it appropriate - I'm new here so not sure of the protocol of reopening old discussions).

Just came across this old thread after seeing an adaptive skier wearing an Againer yesterday. We've not seen the particular equipment she was using before (my wife did BASI Level 1 Adaptive as her 2nd discipline and it's certainly not like anything she'd ever come across) but it looked like a custom construction something like a stand-up bi-ski, with normal ski boots but the skis themselves held in a frame which allowed them to swivel independently and around a central axis between/above the ankles, as well as moving in a fore-and aft direction along rails. Oh, and a sort of fixed handlebar to allow her to lean forward somewhat. Sounds complicated? Yes, it looked it too.

Anyway, as ski-mojo users ourselves, we were intrigued by the whole set-up and looked up the Againer.

Having seen it in action I could see that it was very effective in this set-up, as she was almost using it to sit on, with most of her weight supported by the bum-pads. It certainly looked, as suggested previously, like it would tend to induce a sit-back style, completely at odds with the methods we teach, whereas the ski-mojo really does simply support the natural movements that we're trying to do anyway. I can see that it may have a place within the adaptive skiing world, but the completely adjustable boot-knee-hip alignment made possible by the mojo is surely going to be a lot better for skiers like me who just want to be able to ski harder, longer and later in life.

To address a couple of points that were discussed earlier in the thread:

Toilet hassle: yes, it involves an extra minute or so to get the straps out of the way, depending very much on the particular arrangement you use. For example I don't have the thigh straps in place at all, but do use the high belt with straps crossed over in the front, which supports the whole thing when you're walking around in normal shoes (or driving back from the lifts, like yesterday). Lots of options to try and find what works best and minimises the toilet hassle.

Support: my wife started using the first gen of the mojo, which had its issues with belt attachments amongst other things. Over the first three or four years she had various upgrades and replacements, all provided free of charge directly from Martin (and sent to us in Switzerland). More recently she upgraded to the latest model, which is a completely different design with no interchangeable bits, but was refunded 30% (IIRC) of the price when we sent back the old one. So support from the factory has been superb.
I bought mine about four years ago from a local shop here in Morgins. Rolf, the owner and the director of the ESI ski school here, uses one himself and provides a demo service for anyone wanting to try it for the first time. So I've always been supported through the shop, including several times replacing broken parts, all, again, free of charge.

While mentioning broken bits it's worth noting that there is a slight vulnerability to the construction. As an aggressive skier it is possible, particularly if you're using a lower spring setting, to fully extend the spring and bring the hinge into hard contact, with a resulting 'snap'. I've broken mine a total of three times, the first two when static demonstrating the device (d'oh, won't do that again) but the third one just ducking under a rope last week. I've since increased the spring loading, so would recommend that anyone setting them up should ensure that it's firm enough that you cannot fully extend the spring at your maximum compression. It's perhaps worth noting that I use it for perhaps sixty days a season, for everything from teaching (beyond a snowplough) to hard-core off-piste/freeride and race training. So I'm probably not the typical user.

Sorry to bore with a long post, hope it's of some continuing interest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FrediKanoute wrote:
I can see the benefit of both, but my query would be whether the aparatus over time weakens the actual muscles to the point that you can't ski without it.

No, absolutely not. In fact, IME (with the Ski-Mojo) the opposite is true, as you're able to ski harder and longer without over-straining your muscles, so you can then go out pain-free the next day, and the next, and still ski hard and long. Most importantly there is no shift of what part of the body is being exercised, so you're not 'missing' any muscles. On the few days when I don't wear the Mojo, i.e. when I'm only teaching at a lower level, the strength is still there, but I really notice the difference if I decide to go for a blast.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
I can see the benefit of both, but my query would be whether the aparatus over time weakens the actual muscles to the point that you can't ski without it.

No, absolutely not. In fact, IME (with the Ski-Mojo) the opposite is true, as you're able to ski harder and longer without over-straining your muscles, so you can then go out pain-free the next day, and the next, and still ski hard and long. Most importantly there is no shift of what part of the body is being exercised, so you're not 'missing' any muscles. On the few days when I don't wear the Mojo, i.e. when I'm only teaching at a lower level, the strength is still there, but I really notice the difference if I decide to go for a blast.

You are not "missing" muscles, but they are clearly being taxed less (19-37% less emg activation). Muscles adapt to the stress put on them, so it seems pretty likely using a mojo leads to less improvements in strength.

I guess it depends what you are comparing. If wearing a ski mojo is the difference between you sitting at home doing nothing or exercising there is clearly a positive benefit in ski mojo helping to maintain/improve muscle strength. If you are comparing skiing with and without the mojo clearly with mojo means less demand on the muscles, which could well lead to decreased strength. However, that really depends on many factors - for example if you only ski 1 or 2 week a year skiing with/without a mojo is insignificant in regards to strength in comparison to what you do the rest of the year. As we age we lose strength, if your interest is attenuating that loss there are much better options (e.g. strength and conditioning program using external resistance) than skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you are comparing skiing with and without the mojo clearly with mojo means less demand on the muscles, which could well lead to decreased strength.

Yes, by doing less work you're clearly going to build less muscle over any given fixed time/run.

But, and it's a big but, the overall amount of activity you can do over a day's skiing is significantly increased, and for me it certainly helps strength improvement over the course of a season, compared with skiing without it, where I would be much more cautious as well as getting tired more quickly and hence skiing less.

Of course, if you're only cruising around you're not really likely to build much muscle anyway.

I do try to keep up with weight training in the off season, so have a good benchmark on which to base this conclusion. At 61, with a number of injuries to cope with, I'm still able to retain, indeed regain, leg strength, such that my squats and thrusts come in at around 90 and 70kg respectively.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

But, and it's a big but, the overall amount of activity you can do over a day's skiing is significantly increased

It depends. There comes a point where the forces are so small it doesn't matter how much time you spend doing an exercise. Pro marathon runners are a great example - spend hours and hours exercising but not really much leg strength.

Quote:

Of course, if you're only cruising around you're not really likely to build much muscle anyway.

I question if you can build any real strength skiing. At best you are likely not losing anything. Even then someone that has a decent strength training program and quits it to spend a few months only skiing will certainly lose some.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, I am a SkiMojo user and find it very helpful. I have had both knees replaced along with a big operation on my ankle so any mechanical assistance is most welcome. The only issue I have with the Mojo is that the waist strap never seems to stay in place and, after a while, tends to droop somewhat. This means that taking off my boots results in the Mojo dragging around by my ankles. If there is a simple solution to this I would love to hear it.
If anyone is interested (possibly not) I found this website while looking into the Ski Againer. It seems very expensive compared to the SkiMojo but the component parts look to be more complex on the Againer, and I guess that it is probably not sold in high enough volume to bring the price down to something more manageable.
As a passing and final note, if anyone is considering knee replacement but is worried how it may affect their skiing, I can confidently say that I have never skied better than I do now. No pain or discomfort. Wonderful!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe there is a shoulder strap arrangement that can be bought to ensure it doesn’t fall down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup! Thought I'd seen it.....
https://www.skimojo.com/product/ski-mojo-suspenders/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the Againer front I think it's ungainly and bulky. Love the mojo and it's aftersales service.
Mine broke on the last holiday at the hinge after a particularly bad fall with a snowboarder. It was fixed in resort with a new hinge (costly) but once back in England I sent it off for fixing with nowt to pay!
I now have a spare hinge to take with me next time - bonus?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TJToms wrote:
Yup! Thought I'd seen it.....
https://www.skimojo.com/product/ski-mojo-suspenders/

Interesting. I've found that simply crossing the two front straps so they form an X in front of me allows either side to ride over the hip and effectively do pretty much the same job. Doesn't work for my wife though, different shape tummy/waist/hip, so this could be very useful for some people.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello - thank you for sharing this. Here at ski~mojo we do try to look after our customers - its what has made us grow after nearly 15 years. Look forward to seeing lots of you at both the Birmingham and London ski shows.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sadspursfan,

Or there is this slightly cheaper option:
https://www.skimojo.com/product/suspender-belt-mkiii/

Mini suspenders wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My father was able to ski with 1.5 new knees and no Mojo/Againer. It’s the emphysema that’s stopped him…
snow report
Since this thread got resurrected, I'll ask a question or two about the points raised above...

I skied last year with a fancy carbon fibre custom brace after trashing one of my knees. This worked out fine, and could ski all season without it or my knee exploding, but one notable thing was that only my much older baggier Arcteryx pants fit over it, so I'm kind of wondering how the ski mojo fits under ski pants since it looks even bulkier than my (quite bulky) brace? Do you just have to have really baggy pants? That doesn't seem like the trend anymore, at least not for Arcteryx, so may be a bit limiting in the ski pant selection.
The brace kind of worked out this year because I could put stuff in the pocket on the other side, however I've recently blown up my other knee, so I may end up with another brace foiling my pocket plan! The Ski mojo looks like it would be right in the way of the pockets on both sides; is this the case?
snow report
@stuarth, I used a nojo over a ossur Cti brace...yes baggy pants. I stopped using the brace a few years ago, still need baggy pants to accommodate the mojo

I don't understand your question about the mojo being in the way of pockets...which pockets?
snow conditions
I go up a size in salopettes to accommodate the mojo. They certainly ain't baggy just larger.

You can wear the mojo on the outside of your gear but it's not particularly recommended due to snow potentially getting in the mechanisms.

I have no issue accessing my outer trouser pockets with the mojo underneath, so I'm also wondering why you anticipate a problem in that area?
snow report
@TJToms, a bigger size doesn't necessarily mean you would get extra width across the knees. My pants are definitely wider at the knee than the ones I used to wear
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx,

Interesting. My sized-up pants are slightly bigger around the knee but not massively so. I suppose it depends on style / brand etc?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

I don't understand your question about the mojo being in the way of pockets...which pockets?

The front (normal sort of hand position) pockets. With my brace there is quite a chunky top piece that goes round the thigh at the front which restricts the pockets a bit. I have to put my phone in the pocket on the other side.
Not sure if this is the same for the ski mojo or whether the springy bits are far enough out of the way, hence the question. I guess that this seems like an odd question probably answers my question! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@stuarth, yes the springy bits are out of the way
ski holidays
The side parts of the mojo won’t interfere, and neither should the hip harness.
Go try one one at a uk snow slope - see skimojo for details. They can put you in touch with someone who can fit you up correctly and then you try before buy so to speak. It's what I did at Chill Factore about 4 years ago.
ski holidays
https://www.skimojo.com/mojomasters/
latest report
@TJToms,

I can get to a (not snowy at the moment) snow slope easy enough as I live on a mountain with one, but getting to a UK snow slope would be quite the journey for me! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Ah yes, I can see your location now I'm logged in properly! Shocked

Oh well if a trip to France to test it in the white stuff, with definitely much better views than the inside of a UK snow shed, then there's always the good ol' US of A (Colorado /Utah) to do the deal instead wink
Or join us on a Snowheads bash - 2 in France in the forthcoming season.....
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:

I skied last year with a fancy carbon fibre custom brace after trashing one of my knees. This worked out fine, and could ski all season without it or my knee exploding, but one notable thing was that only my much older baggier Arcteryx pants fit over it, so I'm kind of wondering how the ski mojo fits under ski pants since it looks even bulkier than my (quite bulky) brace?

No, it's not as bulky as most knee braces. It's only on the outside of the knee that there's anything protruding, unlike a brace that adds a good cm or more all the way round the leg, above and below the knee joint.

stuarth wrote:
The Ski mojo looks like it would be right in the way of the pockets on both sides; is this the case?

Obviously depends on the exact pocket location and trouser fit, but I find that most pockets are perfectly accessible and not impeded at all. Only one exception is one pair with a pocket lower down the leg, slightly towards the front of the thigh, presumably, from its shape, intended for a mobile phone, which is exactly in like with the top strut of the Mojo so completely unusable.
ski holidays
Thanks for the heads-up re the suspenders. Looks a good (and inexpensive) solution. Btw I only discovered this site recently and it’s great to find people sharing their skiing problems and the solutions. Looking forward to the next season, just hoping we have a good one in Europe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have seen a couple people skiing with the mojo over the trousers and even one gentleman who had modified the bottom of his trousers to accommodate the attachment. His concern was not the tight fit but accessing the little levers through his trousers. I wear my mojo under my trousers and have no problems with fit. They take up very little room. Every now and then I have to take the gloves off to find the toggle lever.
snow conditions
@johnE, yes, I have to take gloves off
latest report
@mrs mojo, Excuse me asking here, but I see you do some bits in camo or animal skin styles. Is this to replace the whole of the velcro business?
My velcro bits are getting a bit worn and I'm thinking about replacements.

On another note, I had a problem when I had new boots and got them to fit a new pair of "balls" that I had in the kit. I didnt realise there had been a size change until I was in the boot room at the hotel in Tignes.
But imagine how chuffed I was when I found a ski shop in town that carried the spares.
Skimium a Dutch shop right by the SuperMarket in Le Lac.
All sorted.
ski holidays
Hello @DrLawn - to answer your question re velcro - the camo and the animal skin styles are in addition to the usual black. They are all still velcro.

Re your " balls " - just wondering how long ago this was ? Pleased you got it sorted though and that particular shop has been part of the ski~mojo retail outlet group for a long time. Lots of happy customers from that shop.
snow report
hi mrs mojo I'm going to treat myself to a set of the Snow Leopards and wear them on the outside occasionally.
I can see the pictures on the website now show more of it.

I think Skimium sorted them out for me in December 2021.
It was Mountain Story the big shop on the corner who put me on to them, or I would have been without my MoJos for a week.

The Mojos are extremely common now.
I see them in shops everywhere now .. Saw a set in a shop in Crans-Montana back in February.
snow conditions
Skiset in Belle Plagne fixed mine when it broke. Thought the holiday was over before it started... phew!
latest report
I think the device looks interesting. Being promoted to athletic types leaping up mountains. I would have thought elderlies were a more important market - and they have loads of dosh.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy