Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Zermatt train

Poster: A snowHead
@gwatts10, You know you can't avoid a train altogether? The road only goes as far as Tasch and you have to park there and get the shuttle train up the valley to Zermatt, albeit it's a short trip. You will have to do the maths but you will pay to park your minivan at Tasch for a week and won't use it, on top of the hire costs and so on. I expect it might work out cheaper than 12 train tickets but honestly the train is the stress free way to go, you can relax, have a picnic, enjoy the view etc. Swiss trains are a different thing from a British commuter train. The transfer at Visp is not that bad and you don't need to sweat it to make the connection as they run every half hour in peak season, it won't be long until the next one is along. I've never done the drive (no doubt someone who has will be along soon) but I wouldn't fancy it on a Saturday at half term... you clearly operate in a democracy though so the will of the majority might win the day!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well said scotsgirl, -one other thing is if you have to tramp a long way in Geneva airport to the minibus, rather than a couple of hundred yards, and down the lift onto the station platform, that could be messy. Price could be better, Rail for 12 is circa 1,140 GBP. Minibus would need to be for 16 people minimum to get all your gear in for a week. Garage parking wont be cheap and return rail from Tasch to Zermatt for 12 currently 152 GBP. I am trying to help you have a good holiday. I will now shu rolling eyes t up though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we fly (as opposed to drive from UK) we almost always fly to Geneva and I’d say the majority of the time we drive rather than take the train. By drive I mean we hire a car whereas is the original poster talking about a minibus transfer (ie a taxi)?

Anyway the reasons I drive are: it is usually cheaper; provided no major hold ups it is faster; if you get the late plane out it is too late to get a train; I know the route really well; we actually live almost 1km north of Täsch train station; and we have an underground garage with our own parking place. So generally those factors wouldn’t apply to the original poster.

As for the journey itself, I can break it down into sections:

1. Geneva to Lausanne. Nice big fast road but can get very busy (non-ski traffic). This section seems prone to accidents, which can hold things up a lot.

2. Lausanne to Montreux and on to Martigny. Similar to above but you are now picking up a lot of ski traffic so could be busy. For some reason there often seem to be hold ups round Montreux. No idea why.

3. Martigny along the Rhône valley past Sion and on to Sierre/Siders. Still a nice fast wide road. Commercial traffic is less than round the lake and the ski traffic is starting to thin as you go past various resorts (e.g. you have lost the Verbier lot).

4. Beyond Sierre/Siders and on to Visp. The dual carriageway comes to an abrupt end! Right on the linguistic border (insert your own conspiracy theory here). Sierre (in French; in German it is Siders) is one of the few dual language towns in Switzerland. The road is fine but it is slow and goes through several small towns. You probably won’t be held up but your average speed is going to drop drastically. If you are using a sat nav make sure it is up to date or you keep your eyes open. There is a fairly new section of dual carriageway that cuts out going through a couple of small towns.

5. From Visp up to Täsch (where you transfer onto a shuttle and leave your car if you have one). This road is OK but winds its way up the valley – not nice if it is dark and you don’t know it. Again you probably won’t get held up but nor will you drive quickly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
John Mo, I bow to your local knowledge, but a minibus is no car. Is parking for a large minibus available at Tasch even?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twoodwar wrote:
John Mo, I bow to your local knowledge, but a minibus is no car. Is parking for a large minibus available at Tasch even?

Yes. I am not sure if you'd get it into the multi storey next to the Täsch train station (you might) but there are several surface car parks on the left hand side as you drive into Täsch. What one usually does with them is, rather than use the shuttle train, transfer all your stuff and passengers into a minibus owned by the parking company. That minibus has a licence to drive the Täsch to Zermatt road to the north end of Zermatt where you transfer to one of the electric taxis to take you to your hotel/accomodation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes JohnMo, we used Christophe, however they will need two of Christophe's vehicles for 12 of them. Just thinking of the fact they need to check this out before committing to a large minibus, as this will be done partially at least on the basis of cost.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar wrote:
Yes JohnMo, we used Christophe, however they will need two of Christophe's vehicles for 12 of them. Just thinking of the fact they need to check this out before committing to a large minibus, as this will be done partially at least on the basis of cost.

True. If they are looking for a transfer rather than self-drive, Christophe run Sprinters that can carry 15-18 (depending on how configured). So they should be able to all get in (plus luggage and skis in the rack at the back. No idea how much they charge.

I am certainly not trying to promote road v rail. The advantages of rail have been well explained above.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decision made thanks to SNOWHEADS - Train journey it is , 1st class ( on the basis that we are more likely to get a seat ) as everybody has suggested we will sit back , relax , beer in hand and take in the majestic views of the lake and mountains . Thanks to you all
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great decision
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
Great decision

+1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If we hit the wine shop and Migros before boarding are there any restrictions on Swiss trains to having a tipple whilst travelling?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand, Nope. If there’s a dining car they’ll also sell it on the train. Note Migros doesn’t sell alcohol but you can buy booze in the « duty free » shop just before you enter the baggage hall
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As long as you are all being very quiet and well behaved - of course not!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not that long ago you could even smoke weed in the smoking compartment and the guard always turned a blind eye/nose. "Gruezi, gruezi..."
No problems still with booze AFAIK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wine shop in arrivals too on way to station!
snow report
Thanks all. Not intended on getting trollied just a couple of glasses of wine to while away the journey Toofy Grin
latest report
@halfhand, if you need a top up when you change at Visp: when you come down to the tunnel under the railway if you use the stairs turn right or if you come down the ramp turn left to go to the platform for the Zermatt train. If you continue to the end of the tunnel just outside on the right is a coop. It does coffees, alcohol etc. If the train is on time (usually is) the connection is not long but you should have time to pop into the coop (we usually do).
latest report
@JohnMo, TVM Toofy Grin
snow report
Travel by train. There are fast trains, it's a great view and I've never had to rush at Brig - easily enough time to go the Migros in the station for a final pre-Zermatt prices shop!
snow report
Sorry iainm, but to avoid confusion for anyone, did you mean 'visp'?
ski holidays
@iainm, there is also a decent size Migros in Zermatt, opposite the train station. Prices are the same as in all Migros.
snow conditions
Pedantic reply...: it's the Co-op which is opposite the station, Migros is a little further on. The Co-op has its own quite large selection of alcohol, Migros has a small off-licence type place next door.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy