Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading to Scotland on Saturday for a day or two of sliding if the weather permits. Some forecasts show wind dropping on Sunday?

Will watch this thread with interest
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thinking the same temps look set to rise from Tuesday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Draft plan is

driving up from Liverpool mid sat afternoon.

Stay over Saturday night in a B&B somewhere

Ride Sunday then drive home

Long day but you have to earn your turns
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can get up there for Sat I would try to, either way looks like a short settled spell before it all kicks off again. I'll be at the Coe Fri/Sat so should be a spot of fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks a bit average !

@johndiamond, can you not drive up Fri night half way then get up early Sat to hit the slopes and give you a 2 day window of opportunity?

From MWIS:

All mountain areas of Britain from Thursday 14th March 2019

Staying unsettled toward the weekend as a series of Atlantic lows move across the British Isles. Frequent precipitation, focused on western mountains, often snow on Scottish Munros, where only brief periods of thaw. More marked thawing in England & Wales late this week - becoming very wet underfoot, risk of flooding. By the weekend another significant drop of freezing level is expected, with snow again falling on most hills to lower levels. Generally windy, with sustained periods of upland gales, but some brief lulls. Indications favour a rise of temperatures into next week with southwesterlies prevailing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got the green light from the boss to do Friday night if I need to. Keeping a close eye on the weather. The wind is what bothers me the most, but I am very keen to get up.

I remember a weekend at nevis range back in 2004 or 2005 that has to be one of the best times I ever had snowboarding
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like all scottish wintersports its luck and judgement - sometimes it works, sometimes .... well.

Yeah MWIS is variable - wind will be the factor. Sat & sun trending lower. It WILL be busy though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, intermediate skiier with beginner gf here.

(I can do most red runs, rarely try black runs)
(Gf greens only so far, hopefully blues soon)

With Cairngorm shut was planning on going to Glenshee soon, but it seems to be struggling more with the snow recently so depending how the weather goes was considering Glencoe or Nevis Range instead.

If it comes to it, which is more acceptable for a beginner - out of Nevis or Glencoe?

Obviously neither is ideal, but if they're the only ones with decent snow cover when we get there (it's quite a drive, have to book accommodation) then beggars can't be chooses! I'd prefer not to go Lecht because it's very far to get to and quite boring for me now.

I often hear things like "Glencoe is not for the fainthearted" but never heard any reason why. Is it just because the pistes are steep? Bumpy terrain? Difficult to navigate? Steep drops off the edge of the pistes? Scary lifts/tows? etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe is better for beginners , assuming the lower runs are open. They've opened quite a lot of new green terrain in the last few years, so there's something for everyone now.

The reputation is just because a lot of the upper mountain is unpisted, rocky and has lots of natural terrain features. As long as your girlfriend avoids the reds and blacks (and you check out the blues before taking her down them) she should be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice one thanks Smile

Sounds great, I love unpisted and mixed terrain, and glad to hear there's plenty of green runs to keep us both entertained too. The lower slopes seem to have been doing well whenever I've checked the reports now and then over the season.

Closed today due to the winds.

Hoping to get up there as early as possible this weekend to beat the thaw that's expected mid-week.

Winds look difficult to predict this weekend but snow looks promising. For that reason might be better at Glenshee which seems more sheltered.

Tomorrow is going to be decision time to get the accommodation booked. Shame they're so far apart, would be nice to get something half way inbetween the two and see how the conditions are on the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@beermatt, the lower plateau runs of Glencoe and runs accessible from the 1-man chair (sorry, brain fade, names are escaping me) are usually quite suitable for beginners and intermediates - though even then, if conditions are thin, there are some natural hazards to keep an eye out for and they will not all necessarily be super-groomed pistes (this is Scotland). The upper areas are, in my opinion, OK for the more nervous intermediate onwards once there's decent cover down, and many are not unduly steep, but probably do require some ability in short turns, quick avoidance and navigating the odd daunting bit, so should be avoided at present.
At Nevis there are oft-nice blueish or lower runs from the quad chair and closer towards the gondola, and also around the higher summit tows. The Goose area is red, but if in good nick (I doubt yet) is not unfriendly either.
In summary, both west coast resorts should have something for you. If you can stay in the right place, you can decide on the day according to forecasts and webcams. Glencoe can often be less windy, but not always.
Technically, you could stay somewhere like Perth or Dalwhinnie if you wanted to have the Glenshee option also - but then a minorly-long drive whatever you decide.
Enjoy, if you can get there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@beermatt, worth checking here http://winterhighland.com/general/

and here http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast

before committing where/when to go!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great info thanks Smile

I should be able to take myself off to do the tricker stuff now and then, but will be spending most of our time together.

I'm pretty good with poorly groomed, tight turns, difficult terrain, all that stuff is my favourite. I'm not good with heights so looking down a steep red puts a lump in my throat but once I start skiing it I'm fine, and I've come to terms with most gondolas and chairlifts; I've never fallen off a poma (apart from once or twice in my very early days) but the tricker ones still scare me a bit. I'm alright with the M1 Poma at Cairngorm, but did the West Wall Poma last year and it shook me up, especially with the 40-50mph winds we had on the day, worse bit was approaching the top of the steep bit as you emerge from the relative shelter and the wind really hits you but before it levels out. Getting pelted with ice balls from the wind while getting cramp in my hands from not realising how hard I was unnecessarily gripping the tow out of terror haha. Oh and partial loss of feeling in my hands from the wind chill.

Anyway the main concern was for my other half, I'll be spending most of my time with her and don't mind tootling around on the greens but the bigger and more variety of them the better. If it's just the same nursery slope over and over I'm going to get a bit fed up, a variety of runs keeps it interesting. And hopefully progress onto some blues too.

Good links thanks Kitenski, I'll read and keep my eye on those.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beermatt,

The Flypaper in Glencoe may not only put a lump in your throat but could also solve any constipation problems you may be having!

The run is so steep that you can't see it when you stand at the top if it. It also has a really remote feel, so is particularly exciting.

The Spring Run (to skiers' left of the Flypaper) is slightly less steep, so it's a good idea to try that first. It also has a remote feel - and stunning views!

Remember to let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@beermatt, I would first check with ski patrol before you go anywhere near Flypaper regards avalanche conditions it's is very prone and will be totally loaded at the moment, it will be closed. Last year whilst I was there with another snowhead someone ignored or didn't ask and was burried up to their neck if they hadn't been lucky enough to have the use of one hand they would of lost there live for sure.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 15-03-19 6:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
This is the report from the day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43127554
snow conditions
The op says that he is an intermediate who rarely does black runs.

He should avoid the Flypaper at all cost. It’s very steep, convex, gnarly and unpisted. If you fall you will slide to the bottom (if you avoid the rocks - I have seen this happen).

I would liken it to a short itinerary run In Verbier.

For advanced/expert skiers only.
latest report
Sorry for any confusion. I was replying to
beermatt, who likes "poorly groomed, tight turns in difficult terrain."

I thought the Flypaper or Spring Run could appeal to him. And, FWIW, I certainly wasn't advocating skiing either of them if they are closed. wink
snow report
I've only been to Glencoe twice, flypaper was shut both times due to ic;, even though spring run next door was really nice. Different aspect counts for a lot.
ski holidays
Well here we are mid-March.... what a shocker of a season!
snow report
I’m sitting in car park at Glencoe after a quick skin earlier - it’s loaded with snow. Tomorrow will be fun with light winds and shed loads of snow. Flypaper a no go with aspect and direction of snow, it will be an avalanche certainty.
snow report
@orange, enjoy, not jealous at all! Sat in Aberdeen after doing the brewdog tour and didn't bring any skiing gear!
snow report
Somehow I have an appointment for work in Oban Monday.....for 8am
ski holidays
@Orange I'll be up there tomorrow.

Come say hello if you're there

Just arrived at clainlarich Hotel after a good drive. Getting excited
ski holidays
Heavy snow in Edinburgh.

Glencoe will be epic today
snow conditions
Our boys are in the cairngorms doing a mountain survival course; should be interesting weather for them!
ski holidays
Looks like a day of using the force today.
snow report
Using the force at the coe-notnwhat you would describe as easy skiing but snow is plentiful and should make a base
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Web cams look very soupy haha it's all good core strengthening stuff. Tomorrow looks better hopefully I haven't got the fitness for Jedi skiing yet.
ski holidays
Very hard to see but the snow is really really good at glencoe
ski holidays
Fantastic day here on Sunday. Busy day with perhaps 1300 on the hill. Fabulous wind packed powder with The occasional frozen lump.
snow report
Good to see Scotland back in the game (briefly).

Week of rain upcoming.

snow conditions
As ever, the usual positive outlook from Whitegold - after a previous post that the season was over in snowless Scotland....

Glass not even half empty - more like knocked off the table and smashed into a million pieces eh? rolling eyes
latest report
Monday was even better at Glencoe. All the runs were good and well filled. The sun came out in the afternoon and there was almost no wind. Both spring run-Rankins return and Etive Glades were equally brilliant long runs Cool

This was Sunday over at Winterhighland:

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1359
snow report
looks like temps may dip again by next weekend with perhaps another top up of snow Smile
latest report
Hi again, just letting you know how I got on after asking for advice before the weekend.

Went to Glencoe, snow cover was fantastic all weekend. On the Saturday people were skiing right down to the base station at the end of the day (although scraping in places).

Saturday had the best coverage and lovely deep powdery snow. The downside was you couldn't see anything.
Sunday had great visibilty for most of the day. Snow was quite hard by the afternoon, skis scraping along the peaks of lines people had previously made rather than ploughing through them. Still a great day though.... apart from the queues for lifts/tows which were pretty bad. Car park was full, was lucky to get a space at all.... eventually. I imagine it's not normally like this, probably because of it being such exceptionally good conditions in the midst of a very poor/mild winter, falling on a weekend, and maybe increased traffic due to Cairngorm's Funicular being down. Not sure tho.
Monday the snow was nice and soft but also starting to melt which meant thin in places and the occasional patch, but still good full coverage. Lovely day. Really warm. I had to take my coat off at one point and was skiing around in just a long sleeved t-shirt!

In terms of our first experience at Glecone. The distribution of runs for beginners, intermediates, and advanced seemed really good. Plenty for everyone. It seems fair and well run, staff are friendly, down to earth, and helpful. The unnerving chair lifts mean it's a bit daunting for anyone with a fear of heights.

I know chair lifts are pretty normal when skiing but so far I've only ever had to go UP them not down (which is worse); and the single "cliffhanger chair", or "clunky chair" as I call it, might be safe enough but it doesn't feel very confidence inspiring.

Being a year since I last went, only there for what pretty much equated to 3 x half days, and spending a lot of time with my gf on the easy stuff, I didn't get chance to build my confidence up for anything beyond the blues (and a few tricky shortcuts and features); but the wall and canyon looked really good, hopefully some day. I heeded the advice to steer well clear of Fly Paper, that sounds definitely beyond my appetite any time soon!
ski holidays
BBC report on the shocking mis-management of the Cairngorm ski area
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-47638092
ski holidays
Makes my blood boil reading that. I've heard stories of the farce of CairnGorm's management before, try not to think about it too much. What really gets to me is the executives at the top (HIE, CML, NR, NAIL, etc) doing all the mis-management and making all these bad decisions will probably all be taking home big 6 figure salaries! For what? Being paid to be an idiot and make bad decisions.

I'm just glad we've got the other 4 resorts. Glencoe was an amazing experience with specatuclar views and a great range of runs.
snow conditions
Glad you enjoyed Glencoe beermatt - it's a great set up. It's rare that it gets to the full car park stage - I've seen it like that only once on about 30 visits since the late 1980s. Lift queues are usually manageable.

All of the Scottish areas are worth a try in decent snow cover - even the little old Lecht.
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
BBC report on the shocking mis-management of the Cairngorm ski area
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-47638092

Lol.

An inept public body was dazzled by a rootin'-tootin' American private company who then filled their pockets with Scotch cash.

As posted a while back, they were dazzled by some cr*ppy sketches knocked up by the office junior Laughing

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy