Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's an ex-skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Skied for several years, started snowboarding in about '89, did a couple of years, then went back to skiing !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Made the kids ski first before 'allowing' the lad to board after a couple of years badgering me......it's more cool etc. After two years boarding he decided to return to skis this year and now wonders why he ever left. Go faster on the groomed piste and still have great fun in powder or through the trees etc. just have to work at it a bit. He's rejoined the light side.......good lad Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saxabar, O'neill in fact but was semi-sponsored by Oakley last year! Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied for years, then the Mrs got me board lessons at Tamworth a few years ago. Tried a couple of days on each of the last 4 holidays and this year it really clicked, loved it ! I will still ski as now 40, not as supple as I once was. If only the rental shops in Europe would supply those clip in bindings that they have in the US, rather than those stupid straps, I'd never go back !
Doing the same as the Grimsby Fish Fiddler Ranger with my kids, ski first, then board later and do what they want.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarge, you could ask them...........some places esp i noticed in Switzerland have an array of different binding types, from clickers to switch to flows and straps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are the down sides of the step in style bindings. I do not intend to do half pipes, jumps or such like.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sarge, If you are just riding the piste, Flow bindings are fine. You do get slightly more control with straps, but there such a pain to do up.

I prefer to get off the lift, slip my foot in whilst still standing & ride off, I don't want to be sitting down to do up bindings..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, just had my first week of boarding in Les Arcs. More snow than you could shake a board at. 4 of us tried boarding for the first time and had a great laugh. The conditions were just about perfect too.

So, am I converted to the dark side?

Nope, can't say that I am. It was great fun but it was a cross between pleasure and relief to climb back on the skis for the second week. Before I went I was worried that I might be left with a dilemma in future as to whether to board or ski but I have to say that the boarding just doesn't compare to the enjoyment I get on skis.

Anyone want to buy redundant wrist protectors and impact shorts? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Started skiing on a school trip 20 odd years ago and skied almost every year since.

8 or 9 years ago had a half day boarding lesson in La Plagne. Thought it was OK, but not good so good to tempt me away from my beloved skiing.

Then boarders started to join our trips away and I fancied another go. For a few years I did one day on a board, the rest of the week on skis. Then a couple of years ago on one of these 'days' the whole boarding thing just clicked and now I'm now hooked. Got all my own gear (albeit a 2nd hand board, will be buying new next year). Problem is I still like skiing equally. So now I try to do roughly half and half, depending on who I'm with and the conditions. My 8 year old son likes it when I board cause he can keep up (he skis ... for now)!

I guess if I was starting over from scratch then I'd lean towards boarding. But skiing comes naturally so I can relax more whereas when I'm on a board I have to concentrate much more, especially on the flats. Also have quite a few hurdles to overcome on a board which I'll try to do at Easter with some lessons in Alpe d'Huez.

Oh and gosh, I do look forward to wearing my boarding boots - they're so much more comfy !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Caspar, sorry to ask a dumb question, but what are wrist protectors and impact shorts ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith,
Quote:

Caspar, sorry to ask a dumb question, but what are wrist protectors and impact shorts ?

A comfort when learning and falling alot
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As it happens, the helmet proved to be the most useful item of safety equipment Skullie

Not sure about the wrist protectors as I don't think I actually relied on them but, as mistermouse says, they were a comfort. The impact shorts literally were a comfort - when you learn to snowboard you seem to spend a fair bit of time on your backside on snow and the insulative qualities of the shorts cannot be denied Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Caspar,
Quote:

the insulative qualities of the shorts cannot be denied

Avoiding catching a chill in your er.... Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny,
Indeed. I knew that you'd be suitably insightful Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Caspar,
Quote:

snowbunny,
Indeed. I knew that you'd be suitably insightful

It's great that you are taking care of your bod...now you are getting older Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

now you are getting older

That's not me - that's my brother wink

Besides, I have taken care of my bod for a long time - I have been trying to preserve it with alcohol for years.
snow report
Used to be an Army ski instructor up in the Hartz Mountains but turned to boarding in Italy last year.Just bought my first board and i'm still waiting patiently(not really i'm pulling my hair out) for 2 weeks in Andorra this winter. Love boarding and finding that i'm not to old to learn new injurys.
ski holidays
This is my first post! Hello all. Very Happy

I been skiing and snowblading for about 6 years but decided this year im going to learn to board!
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads 0ppish, snowHead
latest report
i started skiing when i was a kid, then had about a 20 year gap and then took up boarding.

I still ski, but badly!
ski holidays
Hi Oppish & welcome to this crazy place!
ski holidays
ssnowman wrote:
I was just wondering how many boarders on here started off as skiers?

I did.

me 2
snow report
Been skiing since I was about 9. Last year had a boarding taster session at Castleford, and been hooked since.

Anyone want to buy a pair of skis? Very Happy
snow report
Just completed a learn to board day at Tamworth and loved it! Definatly going to board from now on....though might be tempted back onto my snowblades for a day while away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy