Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba Portados bubble

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I can see that the new bubble/gondola lift going in on the Portavsecovo side of Arabba is proceeding, to replace the old two person chair that sometimes used to run.

Being promoted as making for an easier Sella Ronda circuit to avoid the first pitch down from the cable car. Ideally if it reduces the "oh no I don't like this" crowd on that first pitch, there will be more room for the rest of us to wizz down it Cool

But what I could not find out is, where is the top station? If it is at the same place as the old chair then I reckon the crowd will not be thrilled by the pitch dropping down to the new chair 09 Portados put in a couple of seasons ago; from memory that is a fairly steep straight drop or have my grey cells let me down?

Or does the bubble go all the way up to meet the top of the number 9 chair?

Just idle curiosity really, but it does remind me that the buttons for the BB must be making an appearance sometime soon, surely! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7462&start=525

Paste the URL into translate.google.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Onnem, although I am not sure that it is a definitive answer. For example the map shown in that page is not accurate as of today really because it implies the Portados chair 09 put in a couple of years ago goes higher than it actually does and for example it does not show the other lift put in from Pont de Vauz. But in general the articles seem to imply the new bubble will end roughly where the old chair ended.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get the impression that the new lift goes to the same place as the old one (they were intending to go higher, but ran into geological problems!). Peeps would then ski down to the new Carpazza lift to get higher. Although I know that you can get on to the 'Alpenros' piste towards Pont de Vauz by using a narrow track.

http://www.wieser.it/en/works/eearth-movement/arabba-bl-earth-moving-operations-for-the-new-lift-portados-/

some info on lift from Portavescovo website

http://www.dolomitiportavescovo.it/en/info/apertura-impianti/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SteveM wrote:

Just idle curiosity really, but it does remind me that the buttons for the BB must be making an appearance sometime soon, surely! Toofy Grin

Dadmin's currently hibernating in Spain. I expect the buttons will go up when he gets home and gets his ducks in a row. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all - that seems to be the concensus, it goes to the same top station as the old chair. Does my memory deceive me for the drop down from there to Carpazza? Anyway, will find out first hand in Feb, I hope. Any other lift developments in the area this season?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My memory is of a nice wide red !! - very quiet at the time, so no 'bumps'....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The plan in the article is rough and may be a pipe dream.
If I interpret it correctly it looks like a radical changes are envisaged:
The second stage of the DMC will be scrapped at the end of its working life and the traffic will be taken by the new bubble; which I guess must run from near the base of the Porto Vescova gondola to the base of the Carpazza lift and a run cut to join the Alpenrose run.
More usefully the 3 Sas de la Vegla, Messola and Padon1 lifts scrapped (about time to remove the bottleneck to Marmolada) and replaced by 2 new lifts interestingly rerouted.

The new bubble would be the logical first step. We could do with somebody on the ground to locate the earthworks. I also hope to be fit enough to be there end of Jan.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some more details/images here (only in Italian tho'.......)

http://www.funivie.org/web/nuova-cabinovia-portados-ad-arabba/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy