Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime

Poster: A snowHead
Thank-you HoneyBunny! I hope/pray it holds up. Yeah, i couldn't find a bad review for Saalbach in terms of piste quality and apre aha and it seems quite reasonable price-wise so very excited!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to Hinterglemm with a group the week of the 15th March.

Just wondering how the snow is holding up? Have been fretting since seeing that everything looked a bit brown back in January and seems to have been generally quite mild and dry since. Looks like another mild to warm week is forecast.

Will there be enough left to satisfy a mixed group of eternal beginners/coffee cruisers/slight improvers? Ski to resort level still?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ManiaMuse, yep, you'll be fine. If it was me, I'd ski like maniacs all morning, have a very late lunch then head to the pub snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pack plenty of sun cream, it's getting warmer. It's going to get messy in the afternoon, on and off the piste!

9-Tagesprognose

today

4°C
-1°C
-
1l
40%
tomorrow

7°C
-1°C
-
-
10%
Saturday

8°C
-2°C
-
-
10%
Sunday

12°C
1°C
-
-
10%
Monday

12°C
2°C
-
-
10%
Tuesday

7°C
2°C
-
-
0%
Wed, 12.

5°C
-2°C
0-5cm
-
0%
Thu, 13.

6°C
-4°C
-
-
0%
Fri, 14.

9°C
-1°C
-
-
0%
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there first week in April last year and had a great time..t shirt weather in the village but great skiing if you get up early enough,granted there were a few closed slopes and some brown bits especially over on the Goatstall side but that didn't spoil our trip.I agree..late lunch then hit the bars...we loved it so much we're going back 15th March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So what i'm hearing is I will get to a) finish early every day and b) tan? This is pretty much my ideal ski holiday snowHead snowHead

See you tomorrow Saalbach
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee, where are you staying? we're out tomorrow with ski miquel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HI-
Hope its ok if I ask for some advice-
I am booking for a group of 10- 2 families- there are a couple of 5year old beginners up to teens and adults. I love Austria and have almost decided on Saalbach as it seems to have good value apartments close to the slopes-(essential for the little ones) and a lovely big ski area.
I am just a bit worried about the legendary apres ski- I am not a prude and would be up for it without the kids! BUT- Does it get a bit lary for little ones? can we go out for a drink and dinner fairly peacefully or would we be better off with a more family resort like ellmau? We are looking at feb half term next year. thanks so much.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nem, You'll have no problems with the après ski. It can be very alcoholic, but usually good-humoured in Hinterhag Alm or Goasstall in Hinterglemm, but you won't presumably be taking kids into either. Lots of places are family friendly and going out for a drink and meal would not be a problem. The restaurants are definitely not rowdy affairs. School holiday weeks are actually relatively quiet as far as après is concerned as the 'lads' trips' of January are replaced by Danish, German, Dutch and a few English families in February. Both of the big ski schools, Snowacademy and Furstauer, have good programmes for kids and under-6's get free lift passes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're in Alpinresort Hotel nbt,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt wrote:
Nadenoodlee, where are you staying? we're out tomorrow with ski miquel

Ooh, about to book a late trip for 22nd March with Ski Miquel. Any snow? How is the Chalet?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kezzer, dunno, we should be there in about 24 hours, still at home now Smile

Nadenoodlee, maybe see you out there Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nem, you'll be fine, the apres isn't rowdy, just good-natured (and the Dutch get a bit drunk). You can avoid it quite easily and find quieter bars. Eva in the town centre is great for a relaxing beer and watching the world go by. Mangos is chilled as well.

The 'dancing on the tables' bars are Goassstall in Hinterglemm, Hinterhag Alm and Bauers Schi-Alm. But they're not raucous and are OK for kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the replies- sounds good. I am reassured!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr tat man

Do you have availability for the 14-18th Jan 15 there would be four of us.

Thanks
Matthew
ski holidays
Kezzer, Stayed with Ski Miquel in early Jan and had a great time with them. You'll have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
The snow is not going to be worth skiing by 22nd in my opinion.

We're having a great time but every day is a battle to find something not churned up or slushy by 10am
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, wow, sounds like it's realy deteriorated since we were there Sad

Glad you're still having a great time though - I guess Leogang is your area of choice every day?

Is 2b still open? I'd be surprised...
latest report
Very warm at the moment - ate on the sheltered sun terrace of the Seidl Alm today and it was 34 deg C. Most slopes below mid-station level are now not worth skiing. Plenty of nice areas above mid-station, but the sunny side pistes (Kohlmais/Panorama in Saalbach and Reiterkogl in Hinterglemm) are slush by 10.30. I can see these closing after this weekend. Hochalm is great until about 13.00 and Zwolfer, including the run down to the Ellmaualm, is also fine until early afternoon. Leogang is still very nice, as are the red bowls on the way over after the Polten lift. 2b was great this morning at 9.30 - looked very mushy when looking across from Schonleiten this afternoon. We've been getting first lifts and skiing until 13.30-ish, then taking a long leisurely lunch and snooze in the sun every day. Cool

Forecast for the rest of the week is even more blue skies and sun. Next week snow (really).

Kezzer, the Ski Miquel chalet is tidy and fairly central, but you might want to wait for the snow and weather reports before confirming for 22nd.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 13-03-14 17:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ski Circus is on our to do list for the next trip. Looking at the piste map I have noticed that where some of the runs finish there isnt a ski lift to bring you back up again and it looks like you need to hop on a bus to bring you back to chairlifts or Gondola. Is this the case and are the buses frequent and included in the cost of your lift pass. Thank you
latest report
Only a couple spring to mind but there are bus stops next to them. The buses are include in the lift pass and run every 15 minutes or 20 minutes after about 08:30 .
latest report
2waterford, The lovely run to Viehofen, 68, ends at a bus stop. Buses are every 20 mins back to Schonleiten. There is one run, 34A below the Sonnalm on the Reiterkogel side, that ends by a bus stop between Saalbach and Hinterglemm, but as it is a piddling little blue track, nobody does it unless staying in that area (for example at the British-run Chalet Michaela).

Ski buses are included in your lift ticket and run at 20 minute intervals from one end of the resort to the other. Note, there is no bus connection between Leogang and Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-03-14 21:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The skicircus posted this post showing the lifts that are going to be open later on into april on Facebook yesterday.

German:

Vorbehaltlich der Schneelage ist der Skibetrieb wie folgt geplant (Änderungen möglich):

Bis 30. März 2014: gesamter Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang in Betrieb

31. März 2014 bis 06. April 2014: Schattberg/Westgipfel/Zwölferkogel und ein Übungslift im Bereich Unterschwarzach, sowie Schönleiten (als Verbindung nach Leogang) und die Lifte in Leogang geöffnet (Ermäßigung Liftpreise: -20%)

Ab 07. April 2014 bis voraussichtlich 21. April 2014: Schattberg/Westgipfel/Zwölferkogel und ein Übungslift im Bereich Unterschwarzach (nach Bedarf), sowie die Lifte in Leogang geöffnet (keine Verbindung zwischen Saalbach und Leogang, Ermäßigung Liftpreise: -30%)

English:

We would like to inform you about the skiing for the rest of the winter season 2013/2014. Subject to snow conditions, the ski operation is planned as follows (subject to change):

Up to 30th March 2014: entire Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang in operation

31st March to 06th April 2014: Schattberg / Westgipfel / Zwölferkogel and a rope tow at Unterschwarzach and Schönleiten (as connection to Leogang) and the lifts in Leogang (discount lift prices: -20%)

07th April until approximately 21st April 2014: Schattberg / Westgipfel / Zwölferkogel and a rope tow at Unterschwarzach (as needed) and the lifts in Leogang (no connection between Saalbach and Leogang, discount lift prices: -30%)
snow report
Well. at least they are going to try to keep everything open but above reports suggests only early am skiing will be all that is possible by the time I go! Oh well, I will be taking copious amounts of sun cream and a good book or three!
latest report
Think the road bike will need dusting off for afternoon rides down to Zell for coffee and cake !!!
ski holidays
Ok, cycling instead of skiing! Cool
ski holidays
...and better pack me shorts!!
ski holidays
My first post since 8th Feb, because, for some reason, I haven't been receiving the usual e-mail notifications of new posts to this thread. Just been catching up on what's been going on!
HoneyBunny, Thanks for your very nice comments; we had an absolute ball with you and the Angry Birds and skied our legs off, despite averaging about 4 hours sleep a night!
Since your departure on 1st March, it's been getting progressively hotter (as quinton, has reported above), but we've skied every day and have thoroughly enjoyed it - good skiing for the first three or four hours, and longer if you concentrate on slopes that are out of the sun, followed by long, leisurely lunches and sun-bathing sessions. As for the much-maligned slush on the lower, south-facing slopes, a combination of practice and suitable skis can make for enjoyable skiing (especially after the piste-bashers have come up!)
We had an absolutely mental session in the Hinterhagalm yesterday, which wiped out several of our current guests, who haven't been seen since!
We skied over to Leogang yesterday and found good snow - did the Asitz run twice around lunchtime, as it was so good, before stopping for a drink next to the Chicken Man.
Today the skiing on Schattberg and Westgipfel down to Hinterglemm was good in the morning. A sunny lunch at the (recommended) Hintermaisalm was followed by a bus ride to the Schoenleitenbahn and an hour of really serious sun-bathing in deck chairs atop the Wildenkarkogel, and then an enjoyable, albeit largely slushy, late afternoon run back to Saalbach, via 65, 66 and 52 (managing by an effort of will to resist the siren calls of the various sun terraces on the way down, e.g. happy hour at the Bergeralm, the comfy chairs and ice cream at the Maisalm, and the wonderful, convivial madness of the Hinterhagalm.
This evening it will be Spacey at Bobby's, followed by the talented duo, C'est La Vie, in the Kuhstall.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TT, what joy you bring. I arrive again tomorrow and remain positive despite all the negative press of no snow. Plenty of sun cream packed and cutting down on the layers required, a few hours in the snow and a long après is far better than a day in the office
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:

HoneyBunny, Thanks for your very nice comments; we had an absolute ball with you and the Angry Birds and skied our legs off, despite averaging about 4 hours sleep a night!

Haha sorry about that, I wasn't responsible for that EVERY night!! Embarassed

Also I would point out that your lovely OH is a party animal wink, say hello to her from me!

Such good times snowHead

Quote:
We had an absolutely mental session in the Hinterhagalm yesterday, which wiped out several of our current guests, who haven't been seen since!

Good work! We clearly weren't drinking hard enough lol

Quote:
This evening it will be Spacey at Bobby's, followed by the talented duo, C'est La Vie, in the Kuhstall.

Ahhh wish we were there!

Enjoy the sunshine!!
ski holidays
Ummm I was one of the ones in the hinterhagalm yesterday - on the topless table.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Upstairs presumably; we were downstairs, surrounded by Danes.
snow report
HoneyBunny, Mrs TT says wish you were here; compared with you and the Angry Birds, the current lot are 'vanillas' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
No we were downstairs in the table next to the little bar- making domino jäger trails
snow report
Kezzer , Don't think they will let me up with my mountain bike just yet on the lifts that's going to be May/June , so at the moment I can take the calories off on the road bike before the evening entertainments begin , makes me fell like I earned it. Smile
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
HoneyBunny, Mrs TT says wish you were here; compared with you and the Angry Birds, the current lot are 'vanillas' Toofy Grin

Hahaha!! Bless her <3
snow report
Report from today: stayed in bed whilst a few friends went up Schattberg at about 9.00am - apparently piste 2b down to Jausern was 'very nice', and the run down the Kohlmais to Saalbach was also enjoyable. Joined them on the Zwoelferkogel at about 12.00 midday and found good snow on the Seekar run up in the top corner of the valley, although the run down to the bottom in the early afternoon (after another excellent lunch at the Hintermaisalm) was largely a mushy, chopped-up mess, as was piste 4 on Schattberg.
By late afternoon the weather had deteriorated into a minor blizzard on the top of Schattberg, so we decided to descend by the Schattberg Xpress, only to be asked to disembark at the mid-station as conditions were "zu sturmisch", something which we'd already discovered as the gondolas were swaying alarmingly in the strong wind. We skied down the lower half of the Schattberg Nord black run, which was in reasonable, though mogully, condition, and the falling snow turned to rain just above the bottom station.
The weather is currently pretty horrible outside, but the temperature has been gradually falling, so I'm hoping for snow, rather than rain, in the village later. At the time of writing the temperature is nearly -3 on the mountain and about +3 in the village. If/when it gets down to +2, it should be falling as snow. Come what may it will be new snow above mid-station.
snow report
That's good news. 2b at about 1pm on Monday made me swear like a trooper- oooh the bumps and slush!
ski holidays
Late to the party but here's a few pics from last week

Loo with a view by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Saalbach and Hinterglemm by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Hinterglemm by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Contrast by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Reiterkogel link piste by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

All taken before the rain arrived as we left resort on Staurday afternoon (15th)
snow report
Oooh, don't like the look of that brown patch! Seems to be some snow forecast for Sunday so keeping my fingers crossed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy