Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What has ruined your entire day?

Poster: A snowHead
I once saw someone think that the small hand sink in a small resort toilet was the best place to rest a helmet…

…until 2 seconds later the automatic tap came on full blast.

My own:

We’re going!
Dash dash panic panic…
Boots, helmet, gloves, skis, poles, pack…
Jump in wagon.
Yes! Up at the station in time to meet up.

And in ordinary thin cotton socks.
Sigh.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not ruined due to alternatives but:-
I've forgotten gloves - used a pair of socks with motorway service station plastic gloves as outers.
Salopettes - stopped into a garden suppliers and got some 5 euros "farmer giles" work trousers to ski in

Friends:
One ski toured with two left boots, one a size too small and belonging to his wife
One forgot poles for a ski tour, we found some branches that he used
One was wearing a fartbag ski suit (canary yellow) and after catching norovirus couldn't ski to the nearest mountain cafe and get down the staircase and his fartbag off in time. He skied for years after with his brown stained ski suit, looked awful, like a rotten banana. He actually made a good effort, having got half way down the wet and slippy staircase to the loos before disaster stuck. Personally I'd have gone directly on the side of the piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, that’s a BAD story.

Ski suit = bin

Surely?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did the helmet (+ gloves) in the sink trick a few weeks ago while cycling. rolling eyes

I got a message saying my brother inlaw (who I'd known since I was 10) had died while skiing on the PreSeasonBash a few years ago. Kinda ruined the day but lead to the original "salopete Tuesday" incident; 3 jugs of beer in the Loop bar, stumble back and be obnoxious. He'd have appreciated that! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2 wrote:

Ski suit = bin

Surely?
+1 spoo
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Waste not, want not.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Origen, …yes indeed….but there are definite limits…

..and no sticking it on ebay…
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:

Ski suit = bin

Surely?

The gentleman was, how can I say it, parsimonious.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
@Origen, …yes indeed….but there are definite limits…

..and no sticking it on ebay…

what a whizzo idea !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And in ordinary thin cotton socks.
Sigh.

It could be much worse, walking socks for example. My son thinks skiing socks are purely a marketting ploy, selling us something we don't need at high cost. He always advocates wearing normal thin socks.

However, I'm with you @valais2, I hate wearing cotton socks and much prefer man made fibre.

It wasn't me but a friend on the first day of a skiing holiday went out to get the bread for breakfast and slipped on ice breaking his collar bone. He then decided he didn't want to ski again on the whole holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A friend who used to work in the high-end travel sector was given a freebie long weekend 'come learn to ski and see how fun it is and then sell our trips' by one of the big operators. Went over to the Alps late season with a load of others on the junket, first day lessons was getting hot so took her gloves off, fell, and got her hand run-over by someone on very sharp skis. Cue blood, sliced tendons, medical centres, surgery... Her agency elected not to pursue offering skiing as an option and stayed with the luxury far-east market.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
A friend who used to work in the high-end travel sector was given a freebie long weekend 'come learn to ski and see how fun it is and then sell our trips' by one of the big operators. Went over to the Alps late season with a load of others on the junket, first day lessons was getting hot so took her gloves off, fell, and got her hand run-over by someone on very sharp skis. Cue blood, sliced tendons, medical centres, surgery... Her agency elected not to pursue offering skiing as an option and stayed with the luxury far-east market.

cut tendons would do more than ruin your ski day I bet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arriving to closed snow gates on the Aviemore to Cairngorm ski road. (Many times!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breaking a touring binding on the first run of the first day of a week's trip - and lovely sunshine and perfect fresh snow to make it worse Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CathS, that is a big downer….
ski holidays
Getting out of the heli ahead of a 2500m descent and realizing you are one ski pole short Embarassed
snow report
Noot on the level of soiling myself, people dying or having a hand cut off, but being rejected from Italy in 2022 wasn't great (due to losing passport on the plane and someone else picking it up and taking it with them). What made it worse was it being my first trip since lockdown and having jumped through the various Covid hoops, only to fall at the last checkpoint.

Most spoilt day skiing was probably heading over to Cinque Torri at last year's Birthday Bash and realising that I might not be very well (turned out to be Covid). The Hidden Valley is a gorgeous run but not so enjoyable when you are struggling to string more than a few turns together.

Also wasn't overly happy breaking a not cheap Leki pole on it's first outing by getting it caught under a chairlift...then having the 20 euro replacement poles nicked 2 days later.
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
@CathS, that is a big downer….

So much hassle to firstly get back into town, and then track down suitable replacement hire skis Mad
ski holidays
@davidof, Made me laugh so much...thanks. Hilarious! (But glad it wasn't me!)
latest report
2006 EOSB, joined lesson, first thing, with the most outrageous hangover, got to 1st lift and realised my lift pass was in the jacket I wore the previous day. It was a long, walk uphill to the Val2400 apartments
snow conditions
For me it was getting lured into a Ricard session and being so hungover I could barely ski (on a bluebird day).
latest report
Strong winds and rain meaning the lifts were closed
ski holidays
Accidentally somehow changed the combination to my lock whilst locking skis and boards outside a restaurant. After a nice lunch the correct code then wouldn't unlock it. Had to sit there and systematically work through 9999 combinations until it opened, with two whining children and disapproving looks from the wife.

My other one was realising somewhere between Calais and Reims whilst driving S on NYE, having had our early morning flights to Lyon cancelled that morning and making hastily arranged alternative plans to drive down instead, that my hand luggage bag containing all my ski wear (including my boots, helmet, gloves, wrist guards, impact shorts, thermals, fleece, trousers) had been left in the other car (once we knew we were driving and not flying we had moved to the bigger car for comfort and one bag got left behind). It was a costly exercise. I had to buy new boots in Courchevel Shocked on New Years day. Thankfully thanks to the power of snowheads, after posting a message en-route, I was helpfully directed to Decathlon in Reims where I was able to buy relative cheap kit for everything else.
latest report
Setting out on the first morning of our long-anticipated Dolomites trip, only to realise that we weren't just stuck with virtually no uplifts not on the Sella Ronda, but that it was Carnivale rolling eyes Which we hadn't heard of before and hadn't thought to check out.
Cue hour-long wait for the cable car, mass long queues at every chair...
Oh, and it was just when they'd started locking down the 'red' areas at the start of Covid - which they also announced the day that we arrived Crying or Very sad How long can you hold your breath any time that someone nearby coughs?
snow report
I know this sounds like being a prick or a nutter but very few things ruin my day even broken legs (twice), broken wrist (once before skiing began for the week) or gimp toe (enhanced swearing). In fact the only thing that has really ruined a day is too few runs open with too many nutters on them which is especially an early season/manmade only issue.
ski holidays
@Gazzza, sorry but I had to laugh at both of those Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, a broken leg didn't ruin your day Puzzled Puzzled

Chapeau Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, ‘tis but a scratch….

‘A scratch????!? - your whole arm’s off, man…..’

‘I’ve had worse….’
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, a broken leg didn't ruin your day Puzzled Puzzled

Chapeau Laughing Laughing

First one skied out of very gingerly then was somewhat miffed when a bag of ice didn't cure it. Second one I skied out and tried skiing the next day as it was a powder day (unsuccessfully). Both were hairline fractures not picked up until subsequent MRIs back home.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, ah I’ve had that.

Training in a wall, I lunge for a big dynamic move to a difficult slot.

I get my hand in and then my whole weight comes onto my arm and I twist it in a weird way. There is a big ‘crack’ which Oliver, my belayer, could hear from 5m below me.

What was that? Said he.

My arm breaking. Said I.

Really?

Yep.

Hairline fracture.
latest report
@valais2, bloody hell, that set my teeth on edge. Shocked
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I know this sounds like being a prick or a nutter but very few things ruin my day even broken legs (twice), broken wrist (once before skiing began for the week) or gimp toe (enhanced swearing). In fact the only thing that has really ruined a day is too few runs open with too many nutters on them which is especially an early season/manmade only issue.

I quite agree on the “few things ruin my day” part.

Just this season alone. I had one trip which I forgot my poles at home (cheap to buy a new pair). And skiing with broken ribs (done that twice, both only “discovered” by x-ray upon returning home )

Wet helmet? No problem. Just wipe it dry. Lost gloves? Use scarf or helmet liner.

Non-ski socks? As long it’s not too thick to fit inside the ski boot. Done that more than once. And though it hadn’t happened so far, I’ve been told some people ski without socks. So even the “too thick to fit” cases can be handled. Only thing that can’t be shoehorned are forgetting to bring boots. (My boots are heavily customized). Knock on wood it hadn’t happened. (And hope I didn’t just jinxed it)

I’ve also skied with two different poles (though not different skis, so far)
latest report
Hang on … quite a few of these are ‘things which DIDN’T ruin my entire day’!!

Such as when we noticed at 4pm that Ant was skiing on one 150 blue Salomon ski and one blue 160. A mistake made at the beginning of the day - massively rushed skiing for four hours - and only at the end did he notice.

That definitely had not ruined the day
snow conditions
Few things ruin your day, or your ski season more than your hubby breaking his neck on the first afternoon of a 2 week trip, before you've even managed to get food supplies in for the teens you had to leave behind in the apartment while you accompanied him for emergency surgery. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, whattt???!

Ok this trumps anything else so far, as bad as they have been….
latest report
@valais2, fortunately a good outcome, and he's still skiing.
latest report
@Hells Bells, I think Jules would think, your Mrs coming down with appendicitis while your out skiing comes a close second wink
snow report
@adithorp, he probably would agree. but meh, if the docs had been open I would have probably rang him from the hospital Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Not on the scale of breaking necks but gloves on tethers appear designed to catch anything you wouldn’t want in your gloves - snow, crumbs, water, you name it.
latest report
Being told you are not at the level doing a BASI course?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy